Why are we hiding behind our AVATARS? I have revealed myself and this is why...

Wili Clip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So... The drama of your other thread started to get too serious and you had to make another loaded one?

Generally people here will not care about who you are behind the screen. We don't interact with you in person. We only interact with the way you present yourself here, and that is the authentic experience we get, and as you can see from the thread, most people are adverse to it. A picture of you doesn't change that experience any more than a picture of your avatar would. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Are you seriously trying to dictate to other posters when, when and how they can post on LINDEN LAB'S FORUM?

No Silent Mistwalker \O.. O/

I even wrote:

If you're not hiding behind your avatar and don't feel a need is fine - you can even post a comment about it how you're not hiding but at least be respectful an mindful of other people around you.

I only ask for some politeness, courteousy and mutual respect. Some minimal standards of discussion. But I accept the reality if that is not possible to have with some people because its after all a public forum.

I can only control my own behavior and how I treat other people which I always do with respect and in a friendly manner even if we have different views or opinions on things. \O.. O/

Edited by Wili Clip

24 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Anybody ever notice the people that say things like “RL verified, mic verified, pic verified”, “I’m REAL!!!” and things like that usually rank waaaaay up there on the full of ish scale in SL?

They usually have "no drama" on their profile somewhere as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

If you're not hiding behind your avatar and don't feel a need is fine - you can even post a comment about it how you're not hiding but at least be respectful an mindful of other people around you.

I agree with Lewis that if I want realism I will go to FB.  I didn't come to SL to be "real" but rather the opposite.   That doesn't mean most of my avatars have some conscious or sub-conscious part of me in them but most are fantasy.  I came here to escape politics and other stuff too.  I've done my best to drop the politics completely.  I'm here to create, have fun, keep it more light and fanciful.    

There may be people who need to talk about revealing the person behind the avatar, but most won't.  

It is rather a loaded topic, so you might get some "loaded" answers.   

9 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

No Silent Mistwalker \O.. O/

I even wrote:

I only ask for some politeness, courteousy and mutual respect. Some minimal standards of discussion. But I accept the reality if that is not possible to have with some people because its after all a public forum.

I can only control my own behavior and how I treat other people which I always do with respect and in a friendly manner even if we have different views or opinions on things. \O.. O/

Still trying to make rules above and beyond LL's rules for their forum. It's not going to fly.

22 minutes ago, Bitterthorn said:

So... The drama of your other thread started to get too serious and you had to make another loaded one?

Generally people here will not care about who you are behind the screen. We don't interact with you in person. We only interact with the way you present yourself here, and that is the authentic experience we get, and as you can see from the thread, most people are adverse to it. A picture of you doesn't change that experience any more than a picture of your avatar would. 

Hi Bitterthorn \O.. O/

I am sorry if you view it as a drama.

I am not looking for "love" or approval on a public forum like is probably the case with some. My other thread is a very serious one and my intentions are real and points I made valid if anyone cares to read them instead of reactions.

I don't understand what is your point you wanted to make. If you don't interact with me in person in RL does that mean that you can afford yourself to treat me different than you would if we were for example working in the same office? 

So you are going to view someone how the public perceives them instead of how that someone really is?

When you read yellow press you base your opinions about someone on what you read in there just because wider public believes it or because that is the perception?

In my previous thread I talk about things that are unimaginable to some people. When electricity was introduced for the 1st time the people were adverse to it. It is normal. I accept the world the way it is. My self perception and value is not hurt if people are adverse to me or my ideas. I base my self value and self respect on measurable achievements not on what people on forum think about me.

30d7974b1fca6f85ff9c4b1d216e8bc0.png

Edited by Wili Clip

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I will always defend anyone's right to use SL as they need but expect the same consideration for how I use mine without people assuming I have some nefarious reason for keeping my RL separate.

Rowan, do you mind if I take your other people's assumptions that you use SL for nefarious reasons?

That's my only reason for being in here.

Thanks in advance!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Wili Clip said:

Don't worry about what other people think so much. Don't live your life for them. It is your life and you only have 1 and it is pretty short. Live your life your way and the way you want.

And that is exactly why I don't share anything about my RL.

The way I want, is to be someone different for a while. That's why I am in SL. I want to be different from RL, that's why I'm frequently a furry. The internet is full of different social medias for "being yourself" and sharing RL. Second Life wasn't created for doing that, Philip Rosedale's vision was a platform where people could use and express their imaginations in any way they wanted, however bizarre or unlike RL. It wasn't until fairly recently that the viewer even included the facility to connect with external social media. When I am in the mood for RL things, then I log out of SL and go do the RL things.

My avatar is effectively a roleplaying character which does not exist outside of SL. I do not have a different personality and I do not make up lies about my RL, I just do not share RL info at all (besides my time-zone and my native language, plus the usual non-personal trivia like what I had for breakfast and what is my favourite colour and stuff like that).  I am not worried about what people think, It's just not anyone else's business but mine.

It's my experience that 90% of people who want RL info from others are only interested in getting laid, and the remaining 10% are only interested in getting money and/or making business deals. I'm not interested in either, so anything about RL is totally irrelevant to my SL experience.  I don't get why the "RL-demanders" even come to SL in the first place. They'd be much better off on Facebook or Linked-In or OK Cupid.  SL is terrible for what they want because it's so full of people who want something different.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I will always defend anyone's right to use SL as they need but expect the same consideration for how I use mine without people assuming I have some nefarious reason for keeping my RL separate.

Rowan, do you mind if I take your other people's assumptions that you use SL for nefarious reasons?

That's my only reason for being in here.

Thanks in advance!

There is no need to defend anything. No one is taking or talking about taking any ones rights whatsoever. \O.. O/

I've been quietly watching these first two instalments of the Great WC Show, trying to restrain myself and not waste any energy on pointing out the incessant stream of baseless assumptions, strawmen, prejudices, and, above all, projections, but the cringe is just too intense.

'Hi [your name here] \O.. O/, I'm sorry that [insert passive aggressive gaslighting here], bla bla. [also, insert image of magnificently cheesy motivational quote]'

If you will all excuse me, I'm going to soothe my melting brain now and watch this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx4k-0RFaaQ

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Karly Kiyori said:

I don't get why the "RL-demanders" even come to SL in the first place. They'd be much better off on Facebook or Linked-In or OK Cupid. 

Are any of those 3D? No? There you go. This is as close to a holodeck as we're going to get (or anything like one) for a few more decades, if we don't become extinct between now and then.

Quite a few did come from another 3D "open world" called Active Worlds which has been around far longer than SL. I think it's about 25 years old now if not a bit older.

It's not about realism so much as it's about immersion. Those that want deep immersion are looking for those places that are not very realistic or, rather, more geared towards roleplaying. Each person seeks their own level of immersion however close to either edge it might be.  There are even those of us who go through periods of deep immersion followed by light or none. Or have experienced both and chosen one over the other.

Personally? I can't stand so called social medias like Facebook or dating sites or whatever. Give me a good old fashioned forum or chat room any day. As for SL, RP ended up being a huge disappointment for me years ago so now I'm just me in SL. Unless I just happen to be goofing off with some of my avs.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I've been quietly watching these first two instalments of the Great WC Show, trying to restrain myself and not waste any energy on pointing out the incessant stream of baseless assumptions, strawmen, prejudices, and, above all, projections, but the cringe is just too intense.

'Hi [your name here] \O.. O/, I'm sorry that [insert passive aggressive gaslighting here], bla bla. [also, insert image of magnificently cheesy motivational quote]'

If you will all excuse me, I'm going to soothe my melting brain now and watch this instead:

I am sorry if you don't like my way of communicating with people and that you falsely believe or want to portray that I am being passive aggressive or gaslightning anyone...

Everyone is different and everyone communicates differently. I usually don't hang out around forums so this is just my style of communication.

You really have some extreme ways of soothing yourself watching scratching forks against the plate sounds. 😁

Edited by Wili Clip

25 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

That was pretty good! Nailed it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I will say one thing. You really united the board, we were at each other's throats a couple of months ago. 

I think we can heal now, moving forward.

Thank you.

I can see why ^-^ you people like to get in conflicts and confrontations. I guess its to make spending time in here more interesting.

Thank you too for the experience.

All the best to you all \O.. O/  (this is not passive aggressiveness - I really mean it)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

I can see why ^-^ you people like to get in conflicts and confrontations. I guess its to make spending time in here more interesting.

Thank you too for the experience.

All the best to you all \O.. O/  (this is not passive aggressiveness - I really mean it)

I believe you! People get really passionate about personal freedom on this board, especially when it deals with Second life.  Most people get ribbed really hard when they come here with a strong personality. It's a little contradictory, I know...but think of it like a vetting process. A lot of trolls come here to wind people up, so its a challenge to differentiate sometimes.

But good luck to you and all you're trying to accomplish.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.