Why are we hiding behind our AVATARS? I have revealed myself and this is why...

Wili Clip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I wasn't and I don't, no. You can take my word for it or not, that's up to you.

The thing is, if you go back and read his original post he uses a lot of loaded words and phrases that are pretty inciteful. Which is exactly why he got the general reaction he did. But that's not what I was doing at all. You seem to want to read that into what I said, which.....isn't really my problem either.

So, I'm just going to not respond to you anymore because it seems to me like you're trying to pick a fight. 'Kay?

There hasn't really been anything here in the forums for her to White Knight for in a while.  So she needs to perceive some sort of injustice that she can then fight for.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
grammar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Janet Voxel said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Where's your proof...that he is advertising?  Just because he has a successful business so many in SL would aspire to?

Bruh, I can't even tell if you're serious or not. The OP has a giant tik tok that says "Becoming a CEO DAY 2" on it! 

So are you saying the only reason he is posting here is to advertise his business? Am I only posting on this forum to advertise my business because I have a clickable link under my posts leading to my store?

8 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I wasn't and I don't, no. You can take my word for it or not, that's up to you.

The thing is, if you go back and read his original post he uses a lot of loaded words and phrases that are pretty inciteful. Which is exactly why he got the general reaction he did. But that's not what I was doing at all. You seem to want to read that into what I said, which.....isn't really my problem either.

So, I'm just going to not respond to you anymore because it seems to me like you're trying to pick a fight. 'Kay?

SOP for that one.  Next thing, we'll all be called bullies.  

That's my cue to back out of this thread before the WKing gets out of hand.

One last note on topic.  I will always defend anyone's right to use SL as they need but expect the same consideration for how I use mine without people assuming I have some nefarious reason for keeping my RL separate.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

how about you let people do what they do on Second life, as was intended and not try to impose your beliefs on other people?

I am really only trying to address the people who have a feeling that they spent too much of their life in Second Life and in real life they didn't manage to progress so much.

I am not trying to impose my belief system on anyone. I don't know why some people are trying to make it appear like I am wanting to do that.
My own belief system is very flexible as I am constantly learning about the world through interaction with other people, communities and experience of the world and environments.

If I was really trying to impose my own belief system onto others the name of the topic would be (Why is everyone hiding behind AVATAR). And it is not. It is (Why are we hiding behind our AVATARS). I am addressing a segment of people not everyone.

Hope this clarifies some things.  \O.. O/

Edited by Wili Clip
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

For me, yes it would.  I tried voice back in my early SL days, and listening to others completely changed how I viewed some folks.  It ruined the illusion that I had created for myself of them.  Similar to how a movie can ruin the illusion that one creates of the characters in a book.

SL is an escape for me and I prefer to keep it that way, with as little of RL as possible in it.

You know, I "voiced" with three people all-in-all in SL over the course of 15 years (two were on the phone) and it DID NOT change how I viewed their avatars one iota.  So, I think this is variable just like anything with SL experiences.  If I had been given a photo or been on cam, it might have changed; but if I liked them, it wouldn't matter that say their avatar has long hair but in real life they have short hair or in real life they are chubby and their avatar isn't.  It really would not have mattered to me but I was never on SL to find a "mate" either SL nor RL because the other times I came to SL I was already partnered in real life.  This time I'm single but I love being single and don't want that to change, and I wanted to learn to build, so I am doing that.  I see SL as a 3D Photoshop "living" kind of program but I wouldn't expect others to share my view of it.  We all experience things uniquely.   

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

One last note on topic.  I will always defend anyone's right to use SL as they need but expect the same consideration for how I use mine without people assuming I have some nefarious reason for keeping my RL separate.

Exactly.

I'm out too.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

You know, I "voiced" with three people all-in-all in SL over the course of 15 years (two were on the phone) and it DID NOT change how I viewed their avatars one iota.  So, I think this is variable just like anything with SL experiences.  If I had been given a photo or been on cam, it might have changed; but if I liked them, it wouldn't matter that say their avatar has long hair but in real life they have short hair or in real life they are chubby and their avatar isn't.  It really would not have mattered to me but I was never on SL to find a "mate" either SL nor RL because the other times I came to SL I was already partnered in real life.  This time I'm single but I love being single and don't want that to change, and I wanted to learn to build, so I am doing that.  I see SL as a 3D Photoshop "living" kind of program but I wouldn't expect others to share my view of it.  We all experience things uniquely.   

The voicing did not have any impact on me being friends with them inworld, but it still did totally change the "image/picture" that I had created in my head -- not my 'perception' of them as a person.  Overall, for what SL is for me, I prefer to stick with the images that I create in my head - at least in regards to most people.

If I wanted to meet up with someone in RL, then I would do so and would not avoid it just because it might change the picture that I created in my head.  But out of the hundreds/thousands that I have met in SL over the years, I could count on 1-2 hands how many I would ever want to meet in RL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

You know, I "voiced" with three people all-in-all in SL over the course of 15 years (two were on the phone) and it DID NOT change how I viewed their avatars one iota.  So, I think this is variable just like anything with SL experiences.

So true...it's variable...and worth examining. For example, if my perception of them changed via phone contact then it's an opportunity to examine the possible projection I had built up about them. Likewise, if someone's perception of me changed I'd want to know why -- I'd want to know what possible 'unreality' they had built up about me.  Great opportunities for learning!

It's also interesting that somewhere in our unconscious mind we developed a kind of 'voice' for them without much awareness of it, only becoming aware of it when it didn't match for us.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Here's one more person leaving this thread.  Frankly I can't take any more of this self-satisfied preaching to an amorphous mass of unenlightened beings who will worship at the feet of the guru.  Café or pub anyone?

lets have some coffee 

171026-better-coffee-boost-se-329p_67dfb6820f7d3898b5486975903c2e51.fit-1240w.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The voicing did not have any impact on me being friends with them inworld, but it still did totally change the image that I had created in my head.  Overall, for what SL is for me, I prefer to stick with the images that I create in my head - at least in regards to most people.

If I wanted to meet up with someone in RL, then I would do so and would not avoid it just because it might change the picture that I created in my head.  But out of the hundreds/thousands that I have met in SL over the years, I could count on 1-2 hands how many I would ever want to meet in RL.

I think you are speaking about that thing called "immersion".  I don't think I've ever really been an immersionist, I think that is kind of apparent from my being a tiny which is a very whimsical character.

I love whimsy in real life though and therefore it's spilled over into my SL.  I couldn't stand living a life without some whimsy in it, that's how much it means to me.

But, immersion is important to some people in SL and really should not be challenged nor questioned, and immersion is okay with me as we tinies have our own sims.  Voice will probably break that immersion for some.  For me it never did so I may not be an immersionist.  

16 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I don't understand why some people always have to make everything about themselves.

If you're not one of the people who hide or feel like they need to hide behind their avi then this topic was not addressing you. But you make it appear through your words that its addressing you and that someone wants you to change how you use your SL.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

If you're not one of the people who hide or feel like they need to hide behind their avi then this topic was not addressing you.

That is not what is implied by your opening post.  You said:

So what is your main reason for hiding behind your avatar?

You did not qualify that statement or any of the statements before that with anything like "if you are one who hides or feels like they need to hide, then .......".

Your words simply implied that everyone is hiding behind their avatar.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I'm out too.

Don't let the door hit you in your back on your way out \🙂/

In realty the people who the topic is not addressing them specifically shouldn't even post comments. There are a lot of people in SL that hide behind their avi for various reasons. From that specific segment of SL users I am interested to hear why and what their reasons are.

If you're not hiding behind your avatar and don't feel a need is fine - you can even post a comment about it how you're not hiding but at least be respectful an mindful of other people around you.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You're taking this 1 last sentence/question out of the context and wrapping it into your own narrative.  You have to put it in perspective of the whole post and especially the title.

Edited by Wili Clip

2 hours ago, Wili Clip said:

What are we afraid of? What will other people think about us? Are we afraid others will notice our flaws? That other people will laugh at and make fun out of us? That we are not good enough and we have to hide?
Everyone has flaws and those who criticize and laugh at other people usually have the biggest ones. I have flaws. Nobody is perfect. Why create an image of perfection and then be anxious or depressed because there are such discrepancies between imaginary and reality?

About 11 days ago I decided to reveal myself to my SL gamers community and it has been cathartic for me.

I now use voice in Second Life whenever possible and I've been practicing getting out of my comfort zone about that and I wish more people would do the same. Your brain will reward you with release of dopamine every time you make a personal breakthrough.

Why are we hiding behind our avatars? Are we creating another personality? Are we afraid of ourselves?
(I do maybe understand in the case of women as they could become a target of harassment and stalkers - that is viable concern)

I think that Second Life should be an extension of real life and not a replacement. I believe that it can even be psychologically harmful if someone lives their life through Second Life. My friend in SL is a psychologist and she did research on that topic that confirms it.

My RL body is my avatar and avatar in Second Life is just an extension that lets me do, experience and achieve more things than I could in RL without using virtual world tech.

Quoted just in case the original post is modified to no longer imply what was originally implied -- so that the other comments in this thread still make sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
13 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

If you're not one of the people who hide or feel like they need to hide behind their avi then this topic was not addressing you.

That is not what is implied by your opening post.  You said:

You did not qualify that statement or any of the statements before that with anything like "if you are one who hides or feels like they need to hide, then .......".

He clarified in his 2nd post though. In his 2nd post he said:

"I did really reveal myself to my community and that has helped me on so many levels. I hope what I did with disclosure helps someone. Those that this is useful to will probably not post any comment about it but I believe my message can influence many people positively."

Just now, Wili Clip said:

You're taking this 1 last sentence/question out of the context and wrapping it into your own narrative.  You have to put it in perspective of the whole post and especially the title.

Go back and re-read your original post.  While I only quoted that one line, the entire post is making assumptions about how others use SL.  

You truly did project your experiences onto the rest of the Residents in SL.

• Like 8

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Go back and re-read your original post.  While I only quoted that one line, the entire post is making assumptions about how others use SL.  

You truly did project your experiences onto the rest of the Residents in SL.

He clarified in his 2nd post though. In his 2nd post he said:

"I did really reveal myself to my community and that has helped me on so many levels. I hope what I did with disclosure helps someone. Those that this is useful to will probably not post any comment about it but I believe my message can influence many people positively."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.