Jump to content

Why are we hiding behind our AVATARS? I have revealed myself and this is why...


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 65 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you revealed yourself to your community.  Who cares?  And what business is it of yours why people decide to keep RL separate?  I am not surprised by this display of self-congratulation, after all i

One thing I love about second life is the idea that you can do whatever you want, be whatever you want and the only limit to that is whether you or someone else can make it. One thing that drives

When I want reality. I generally log out.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Quoted just in case the original post is modified to no longer imply what was originally implied -- so that the other comments in this thread still make sense.

You seem to be obsessed with dissecting and criticizing and putting a lot of energy in trying to shape the public opinion your own way.

You're really trying to push a narrative like as if I said and complained about why is everyone hiding behind their avatar. I am always saying why are we (addressing a specific segment of people).

 

Edited by Wili Clip
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wili Clip said:

Don't let the door hit you in your back on your way out \🙂/

In realty the people who the topic is not addressing them specifically shouldn't even post comments. There are a lot of people in SL that hide behind their avi for various reasons. From that specific segment of SL users I am interested to hear why and what their reasons are.

If you're not hiding behind your avatar and don't feel a need is fine - you can even post a comment about it how you're not hiding but at least be respectful an mindful of other people around you.

I was being figurative.

I love when people post something in a forum and when it doesn't go the way they want, try to impose rules on it. Its a forum, people are going to say what they want in response to you, even if you don't like it and are going to hear what you don't want to hear, even if you don't want to hear it. That's the whole idea of a forum, I'm not quite sure why some people don't get that.

Boy please, you're just mad everybody saw through your BS. Don't back peddle, just own it.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I was being figurative.

I love when people post something in a forum and when it doesn't go the way they want, try to impose rules on it. Its a forum, people are going to say what they want in response to you, even if you don't like it and are going to hear what you don't want to hear, even if you don't want to hear it. That's the whole idea of a forum, I'm not quite sure why some people don't get that.

Boy please, you're just mad everybody saw through your BS. Don't back peddle, just own it.

You are welcome to comment and post. It is a public forum but didn't you say you're out of the topic?

Edited by Wili Clip
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

You seem to be obsessed with dissecting and criticizing and putting a lot of energy in trying to shape the public opinion your own way.

You're really trying to push a narrative like as if I said and complained about why is everyone hiding behind their avatar. I am always saying why are we (addressing a specific segment of people).

 

Given how many people reacted and responded pretty much the same way, I'd have to say that my interpretation of your OP was a pretty common one.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Given how many people reacted and responded pretty much the same way, I'd have to say that my interpretation of your OP was a pretty common one.

He's fresh meat for the Borg....LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

All art must be Representational, lest we be contaminated by degenerate Abstraction.

 

imagination.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Do you think that voice would destroy that illusion? 

It could, for me voice has other issues, I often am in SL while other people are in my house. It is easier if they are not able to hear my conversations. I also like to listen to my own music while in SL, so I turn off all sounds in SL so it does not interfere with the music.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some poor people that can't have a 2nd life. The only thing they can think of is RL - not realizing that there already exists what they seek. It's called Facebook.

However, we have nothing in common and nothing to talk about. Bye bye 😁

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
35 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

You're taking this 1 last sentence/question out of the context and wrapping it into your own narrative.  You have to put it in perspective of the whole post and especially the title.

Go back and re-read your original post.  While I only quoted that one line, the entire post is making assumptions about how others use SL.  

You truly did project your experiences onto the rest of the Residents in SL.

Lets try to be realistic. Millions of people have used Second Life. All the people are very different and they experience world through their own personal circumstances and based on expectations from their past experiences.

If I start a topic with title: Why are we hiding behind our avatars...

This does not imply that I am making a claim that everyone is hiding behind their avatar. Reality is that 2 different people can read the same text and derive different meaning from it. You are pushing your own narrative and you're trying to force it against the original author of the message. Only original author really knows what message he wanted to send out or what he was writing about and what the intention of it was. I have even further clarified what my intention of the post was.

I don't understand. Is it going to hurt your ego if your narrative is not accepted? And lets say that the most people reading the forum follow your narrative. Is it going to make you feel good and boost your ego?

Maybe pick a different bone or why pick a bone with me all? I am not confrontational with you. I don't have anything against you or have any negative feelings towards you. I don't even know you.

If you can not believe my word for what my intention of a forum post that I made was then that is your problem.

I wish you all well and thank you for experience to learn about some things.

Edited by Wili Clip
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

All art must be Representational, lest we be contaminated by degenerate Abstraction

All representational art is inherenty dishonest. The art object is not the thing it claims to be. Furthermore abstraction is representational. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't hide (much of) my RL from others in SL. I won't give out enough information that my identity could be stolen, I don't usually give my location any more accurately than the nearest city, and I don't give any information about my RL partner or other family members or anyone else in my life because their info is not mine to share. I have a few SL friends that I have also met in RL and I'm happy to do that, or share a photo, or whatever. I don't use voice because I am dreadfully phone-phobic, and using voice in SL is 100% like talking on the phone, and that would just make SL 100% unpleasant for me. If I was obliged to communicate in voice, I would just uninstall SL and never log in again.

On the other hand I am absolutely not interested in talking about my RL all the time, or even at all, because it's so bloody boring. If I wanted to talk about my RL, I would make posts on Facebook. Facebook is made for sharing RL information. SL isn't. I am in SL because I want to do things that are different from RL - I want to run my club and live on a beach and sail boats and spend time with friends, instead of thinking about spreadsheets and deadlines and utility bills and politics and the state of the economy. 

And I keep SL separate from RL in the reverse sense - that I do not tell anyone in RL, ever, that I am in SL. Mainly because no-one I know in RL is a gamer (and neither am I) and no-one would think any better of me if they knew.

And you have absolutely no right to assume that anyone else wants to play SL the same way that you do, and absolutely no right to assume that anyone who doesn't is "hiding something". And even if they are hiding something, its none of your business.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alazarin Mondrian said:

Why, yes. I totally agree that our SL avatars should be a wholly authentic representation of our RL selves. As you know, I am a transgenderfluid draconic from the star system you know as Eta Carinae and have been resident on your planet doing field research for the past two centuries. :D

When you leave for home... PLEASE, I'M BEGGING YOU, TAKE ME WITH YOU! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

All representational art is inherenty dishonest. The art object is not the thing it claims to be. Furthermore abstraction is representational. 

Or some people don't get it.

I, believe it or not, used to paint emotions and that's what my painting was about, an emotion.  But, I'm sure some just saw it as a pretty picture with some flowers or something like that to which I'm not giving a very good representation of my art at all.  It had some pretty things but I think even my flowers that were a part of the whole evoked an emotion.  My art was neither realism nor abstract.  My art was inspired by the pre-Raphaelites and their love of Shakespeare as is one of mine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody ever notice the people that say things like “RL verified, mic verified, pic verified”, “I’m REAL!!!” and things like that usually rank waaaaay up there on the full of ish scale in SL?

 

Edited by Janet Voxel
Word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I seen more of that when I was younger and in school.. Also when I was dating or in that kind of atmosphere..

But honestly, and I don't know if this is everywhere  or not.. But for the most part, a lot of people, like especially at work, Give way too much information.. Especially guys.. hehehe

I don't know, maybe it's me and they feel like, Hey i can tell her anything, heck lets tell her everything.. hehehehe

All I know is , more than I have wanted to , I've had to tell people, That was way too much information!! \o/

 

 

They never do stop to think that maybe the shoulder they've been crying on needs a shoulder to cry on, too.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FairreLilette said:

Or some people don't get it.

I, believe it or not, used to paint emotions and that's what my painting was about, an emotion.  But, I'm sure some just saw it as a pretty picture with some flowers or something like that to which I'm not giving a very good representation of my art at all.  It had some pretty things but I think even my flowers that were a part of the whole evoked an emotion.  My art was neither realism nor abstract.  My art was inspired by the pre-Raphaelites and their love of Shakespeare as is one of mine.  

Yet what you actually made was a painting, and what people saw was something else. Most people when they look at a painting, if all they see is a painting, they get all confused and ask, "What is it?"

Music is different, no one expects music to sound like some physical object, and if you recreated the sound of a horse and called it music people would think you were weird. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I don't hide (much of) my RL from others in SL. I won't give out enough information that my identity could be stolen, I don't usually give my location any more accurately than the nearest city, and I don't give any information about my RL partner or other family members or anyone else in my life because their info is not mine to share. I have a few SL friends that I have also met in RL and I'm happy to do that, or share a photo, or whatever. I don't use voice because I am dreadfully phone-phobic, and using voice in SL is 100% like talking on the phone, and that would just make SL 100% unpleasant for me. If I was obliged to communicate in voice, I would just uninstall SL and never log in again.

On the other hand I am absolutely not interested in talking about my RL all the time, or even at all, because it's so bloody boring. If I wanted to talk about my RL, I would make posts on Facebook. Facebook is made for sharing RL information. SL isn't. I am in SL because I want to do things that are different from RL - I want to run my club and live on a beach and sail boats and spend time with friends, instead of thinking about spreadsheets and deadlines and utility bills and politics and the state of the economy. 

And I keep SL separate from RL in the reverse sense - that I do not tell anyone in RL, ever, that I am in SL. Mainly because no-one I know in RL is a gamer (and neither am I) and no-one would think any better of me if they knew.

And you have absolutely no right to assume that anyone else wants to play SL the same way that you do, and absolutely no right to assume that anyone who doesn't is "hiding something". And even if they are hiding something, its none of your business.

Thank you for describing how and what for you use SL. I agree with you Lewis that no one should assume those things.

I don't think nor assume you or anyone that doesn't share more of their RL in SL are hiding something.

I already explained in my clarification that those people who I was addressing with why are we hiding behind our avatar are not going to post comments but they still read the topic and many can find it useful.

Some people's natural inclination is to be negative or confrontational so they are trying to change my topic into an argument that needs to be argued. I am sorry topic has been taken that way. It is out of my hand how people perceive it or portray it to others. I believe I did clarify in an understandable way what my intention of the topic was for those that read the 1st page of comments \O.. O/

*Hi5* Lewis

Edited by Wili Clip
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wili Clip said:

Don't let the door hit you in your back on your way out \🙂/

In realty the people who the topic is not addressing them specifically shouldn't even post comments. There are a lot of people in SL that hide behind their avi for various reasons. From that specific segment of SL users I am interested to hear why and what their reasons are.

If you're not hiding behind your avatar and don't feel a need is fine - you can even post a comment about it how you're not hiding but at least be respectful an mindful of other people around you.

 

Are you seriously trying to dictate to other posters when, where and how they can post on LINDEN LAB'S FORUM?

Dude. Get a grip.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 65 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...