Objects that remind you of your country

archangel969

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am a citizen of the world. I'm not chauvinistic, not especially tied to where I was born. At least, that's what I always thought. But then I came across Second Life. I really like the international aspect of it! But a kind of nostalgic feeling took hold of me. All of a sudden I love Dutch objects I didn't know I loved before, in both my old house and my current one, like the Delft blue vases and tiles. Is this recognizable? Do you have things that remind you of your motherland?

hollands_klein.jpg

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I fail to see why you judge yourself as chauvinistic when you are simply enjoying your own heritage.

Oh, but that was ironically meant though 😉 Maybe that's Dutch too: express yourself rather strongly. It's more the contrast: I realize that I thought I didn't care about things being from my motherland, but I do care after all. And I was curious of the experiences and thoughts of others on that point.

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I fail to see why you judge yourself as chauvinistic when you are simply enjoying your own heritage.

I have deleted the last sentence, to avoid any misunderstandings. I just like to see your own objects that remind you of your motherland, not start a discussion 🙂

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, archangel969 said:

Do you have things that remind you of your motherland?

For me, it is wheat fields! One would think, as I loved to stomp around in them as a child, making little homes by flattening out the crop (much to the dismay of the farmer no doubt) that I would naturally have a love for them. But I seemed to have forgotten this love over the years. But being hired to create a crop field on a region in SL (cotton), reawakened my love for fields.

Wheat Field by Monet:

wheat field by Monet.jpg

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

I realize that I thought I didn't care about things being from my motherland

I think often we take the things from our homeland for granted until we see them in another context, and them we notice them and appreciate them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

The difference between chauvinism and patriotism is often overlooked but it's vital. Being proud of your own culture and heritage is patriotism, belittling other people's culture and heritage is chauvinism.

As for which objects can evoke my patriotism in SL, it's actually mostly about nature. Dark, mysterious spruce forests, lonely weatehred white birches, quirky coastlines, mountain ranges with snow covered tops and wide open highland plateaus, grassy meadows speccled with wildflowers, bustling rivers and brooks... Us Norwegians are an outdoors people.

Edit: I forgot about bridges. There have to be bridges! Bridge building is as much art as engineering in Norway.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

The difference between chauvinism and patriotism is often overlooked but it's vital. Being proud of your own culture and heritage is patriotism, belittling other people's culture and heritage is chauvinism.

As for which objects can evoke my patriotism in SL, it's actually mostly about nature. Dark, mysterious spruce forests, lonely weatehred white birches, quirky coastlines, mountain ranges with snow covered tops and wide open higland plateaus, grassy meadows speccled with wildflowers, bustling rivers and brooks... Us Norwegians are an outdoors people.

Yes, I think your right about that difference between chauvinism and patriotism.

Oh, I love the Norwegian nature, been to Norway a couple of years ago and I think it has one of the worlds most beautiful landscapes.

• Like 1

Well, there are quite a lot but those Japanophiles sometimes take it too far on SL so I tend to detach from things labeled “Japanese” or “Asian” but I do appreciate sophistically made Japanese-themed objects and builds that are mundane and grounded in reality. Taikou has a lot of those and they are one of the few Japan-themed creators I respect and approve of. In fact, their apartment skybox is what typical 2-3LDKs here look like if you slightly scale it down, and a lot of their items are elements I can see daily. Kinda boring but when you see them on SL so carefully handcrafted with impressive detail and realism it leaves me in awe. To be honest, I come to SL to experience something totally foreign and different and my tastes in interior deco lean toward French and Western styles but if there is one thing from my heritage that is a permanent fixture in every house I live in, it has to be the 仏壇 (butsudan), which is like an altar for paying respects to ancestors and housing the 神棚 (kamidana) or shrine for deities. See pic for reference:

butsudanSL.thumb.png.8ebfe9b2d12a83645a7859681850cf46.pngbutsudan.thumb.jpg.c48ec2eb9ed5d7d456836bcf5fadeccf.jpg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

Well, there are quite a lot but those Japanophiles sometimes take it too far on SL so I tend to detach from things labeled “Japanese” or “Asian” but I do appreciate sophistically made Japanese-themed objects and builds that are mundane and grounded in reality. Taikou has a lot of those and they are one of the few Japan-themed creators I respect and approve of. In fact, their apartment skybox is what typical 2-3LDKs here look like if you slightly scale it down, and a lot of their items are elements I can see daily. Kinda boring but when you see them on SL so carefully handcrafted with impressive detail and realism it leaves me in awe. To be honest, I come to SL to experience something totally foreign and different and my tastes in interior deco lean toward French and Western styles but if there is one thing from my heritage that is a permanent fixture in every house I live in, it has to be the 仏壇 (butsudan), which is like an altar for paying respects to ancestors and housing the 神棚 (kamidana) or shrine for deities. See pic for reference:

butsudan.thumb.jpg.c48ec2eb9ed5d7d456836bcf5fadeccf.jpg

That's really lovely.

And I like Taikou as well, although I don't particularly collect Japanese objects. They make lovely things though, and I use their backdrops a fair bit.

• Like 1

Hockey sticks and touques.

Ready-Aye-Ready-Blank.thumb.png.23c5d45829cf9706c1662c9418702267.png

Actually, I hate hockey -- my only real sport is baseball. I do wear touques though.

I don't really look for, yet alone collect, "Canadiana" in SL. although I'll occasionally feel a slight stirring when I see a Canadian flag, or something that specifically references my city, Toronto (there was a sim, many years ago, that did a pretty good job of replicating Dundas Square here, and one occasionally sees the CN Tower around). And the things I most associate with Canada aren't tangible in that way -- they are things like universal healthcare, and gun laws. (And that's not just me being political: numerous polls over the years suggest that our healthcare system is maybe the most important part of our self-identity).

Really, though, Canada is a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit here. I'm far more interested in seeing things from other cultures and places.

• Like 3

I wish I could find a sim that reminded me of Portland, Oregon. Being in lockdown north of the Canadian border has me so homesick, I normally spend a good chunk of the summer there with family. I definitely find myself drawn to things that remind me of my hometown-- especially the nature around it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

butsudanSL.thumb.png.8ebfe9b2d12a83645a7859681850cf46.pngbutsudan.thumb.jpg.c48ec2eb9ed5d7d456836bcf5fadeccf.jpg

Oh yes, I know these shrines, saw them when I visited Japan. I can imagine that you bring these very shrines to Second Life. It has something intimate and homely about it and at the same time it refers to something that goes beyond the worries of everyday life.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hockey sticks and touques.

Ready-Aye-Ready-Blank.thumb.png.23c5d45829cf9706c1662c9418702267.png

Actually, I hate hockey -- my only real sport is baseball. I do wear touques though.

I don't really look for, yet alone collect, "Canadiana" in SL. although I'll occasionally feel a slight stirring when I see a Canadian flag, or something that specifically references my city, Toronto (there was a sim, many years ago, that did a pretty good job of replicating Dundas Square here, and one occasionally sees the CN Tower around). And the things I most associate with Canada aren't tangible in that way -- they are things like universal healthcare, and gun laws. (And that's not just me being political: numerous polls over the years suggest that our healthcare system is maybe the most important part of our self-identity).

Really, though, Canada is a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit here. I'm far more interested in seeing things from other cultures and places.

What a great proud pic!  Love it.

And canada, well, it gets a bit boring to say I've visited your country also 🙂. It sounds so boastful, while it is purely about things I like to do (or did before corona): travelling . So yes, I have been to Japan, Norway and... Canada. And I saw quite a few similarities between the Dutch and Canadians in terms of character.

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 1

I was thinking more of the original golden arches store design, which was phased out in the 1960's  I grew up a mile from Store #5, which was brand new in 1954 and looked like this:

That was long before McDonald's went international. And I remember that sign, and the one before they sold "over 1 million" hamburgers too.

McDonalds 1 Des Moines IL.jpg

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I was thinking more of the original golden arches store design, which was phased out in the 1960's  I grew up a mile from Store #5, which was brand new in 1954 and looked like this:

That was long before McDonald's went international. And I remember that sign, and the one before they sold "over 1 million" hamburgers too.

McDonalds 1 Des Moines IL.jpg

If you haven't seen it yet, you should see the movie , The Founder.. It's about McDonald's and how it got so big..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

While borne in the US, I have ancestry in England and that's where my heart lies in the end. So anytime I see something like a Jeep (the SAS used a special version of it in WWII) it reminds me of the good 'ole tommies. I got a thing for Jags and Lotuses... and as a kid I  thought I was into things like muscle cars and such but as I got older I realized a few things. I knew what kind of cars I truly liked and those being the aforementioned Lotuses and Jags. Tourer cars, tour car racing and so on. Also love Porsche and BMWs. Classic tourering in say Silverstone or Brand's Hatch? Count me in.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.