I need some good friends

EmmaTyler1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi , i am new to 2nd life and most of the time i wander alone as i dont have friends. I have tried many times to make friends but could not keep the conversation going as i am an introvert . I would really like to have some good friends who could teach me around and also have some fun together.

Thanks

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EmmaTyler1 said:

Hi , i am new to 2nd life and most of the time i wander alone as i dont have friends. I have tried many times to make friends but could not keep the conversation going as i am an introvert . I would really like to have some good friends who could teach me around and also have some fun together.

Thanks

Hi emma welcome to second life, i found a good way to connect with people is to search groups with some of your interest words in the search feature on firestorm, and join some of the more popular groups, you should be able to connect to people and events through joining groups that may interest you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Most people in SL seem to be introverts and will rarely message others out of the blue or drag them on wild crazy adventures.

True to an extent! But I wouldn't let that dissuade you from trying! I identify as an introvert in RL but I love to socialize in SL. I always come armed with things to say and questions to ask (I am genuinely fascinated by people though, so always curious about what makes them tick etc).

There are plenty of people hoping to form meaningful connections and friendships in SL, however just like in RL, there are no shortcuts or hacks to achieve this. It's all about sharing moments and building experiences together. If you put in the effort it will happen for you. I agree with the suggestion above about finding groups and sims where you can meet like-minded people who share common interests. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, PixieGirrrrl said:

True to an extent! But I wouldn't let that dissuade you from trying! I identify as an introvert in RL but I love to socialize in SL. I always come armed with things to say and questions to ask (I am genuinely fascinated by people though, so always curious about what makes them tick etc).

There are plenty of people hoping to form meaningful connections and friendships in SL, however just like in RL, there are no shortcuts or hacks to achieve this. It's all about sharing moments and building experiences together. If you put in the effort it will happen for you. I agree with the suggestion above about finding groups and sims where you can meet like-minded people who share common interests. 

I've known some people who have enjoyed playing games and have met a lot of friendly people that way.  There used to be a few game places (not gaming) where they had a bunch of table with Skippo?, greedy, and I can't think of what else at the moment.  It's good clean fun, too!

• Like 1

I've been in SL for 15 years. Ouch! That really hurts. Finding friends in SL has its challenges. Here are my rules of engagement:

• Join an interest group (not just a sales group or an invite from a generic bot greeter.) When the iPhone first came out Apple had an ad campaign that said, "there's an app for that!" In SL the saying should be, "there's a group for that!" Unpack a latent interest and search for them.
  • These groups will have mixer events. Attend a mixer. Lurk and listen.
  • When you have gathered your courage, say something! Riff on something someone else has said, ask a question, Dance!
  • Volunteer in said group. An active group always has need of volunteers to do stuff. Even if they don't, they will know you are interested in building the community which will open organic doors to interact.
  • Be friendly. remember that the only difference between you and a bot in SL is the real person (YOU) behind the keyboard (or mic). Let people see that person.

SL is the perfect place to reinvent yourself. In RL I am an old, white, over weight, gray haired, introverted illustrator of books and stories. In SL I am a middle-aged male person of color, and a 23 yr old white female, and a grey-haired college instructor (my first avatar -- I used to teach.) Each one is me, but each one (for me at least) has a unique temperament that bubbles to the surface. Don't be afraid to discover your virtual you, and don't be surprised if they turn out to be a more extroverted, demure, life of the party, kind of you!

Edited by Alma Palmira
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Emma. I am relatively new myself, and I am an introvert. However, on SL I think I am pretty hilarious and working in a club has helped me talk to strangers. Any time  you want to grab a cup of coffee or participate in a shopping hunt or something,  hit me up. I am not so much into family RP,  but there are plenty of other things to do in SL. I am afraid I get stuck in work mode even here in SL. Let's overcome that. Holler at me in world. 

• Like 2

Welcome to SL! I’m introverted too, but I am surprisingly talkative when I am with the right crowd. As most people have suggested, look for groups that share your interests. I don’t usually initiate conversations as Yuumo, but when I am channeling a bolder personality through an alt, I like to IM people based on something witty, fascinating, or hilarious they wrote on their bio, compliment their look, etc. and I have made friends from that. Sometimes I also get IMs from intriguing, like-minded people from just being a member of an interest group or community. That could lead to friendship or maybe more, if you are single and looking. Cafe hangouts like Burrow are very welcoming in my experience and some of the more extroverted people there usually make the move to chat with you. If you want to explore mainland continents, you can join Drivers of SL (or better yet, IM me inworld if you want to go on a drive or sail sometime). I’ve been living in the Bellisseria continent for over a year now and the community is quite active with events almost every other day and populated by “the friendliest and bat-***** craziest people” (lol) so I feel very at home and consider them my friends. The group chat is part of my daily SL and I try to attend parties whenever I can. It took a while to lower my guard but with time and effort I was able to open up to them and it was worth it because it made my SL actually enjoyable.

• Like 3

On 1/1/2021 at 12:55 PM, EmmaTyler1 said:

Thanks

Have you tried finding a place that has interest to you? https://secondlife.com/destinations . These places are great for making new friends....https://secondlife.com/destinations/chat , https://secondlife.com/destinations/howto/newbie

Find what you like and plant there, make friends. Music venues are great too! Cheers !

• Like 1

I am coming back to SL and enjoying exploring, checking out premium places and games and ga has and decorating my home. 

Thing  is, I work full time and have RL activities that don’t allow me to stay online for hours at a time. Finding like minded friends is a challenge. 

I am going to try and join some groups with similar interests. I also like role playing here and there, but time is a limiting factor to that as well as making friends. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 12:55 PM, EmmaTyler1 said:

Thanks

Hi Emma, Not really an introvert here but I am shy when meeting for the 1st time. I have to get over that initial hurdle...after that you can't shut me up.. lol .Hit me up in world, I love to check out various events, sales etc when I'm not at a builders brewery class, landscaping my parcel or working on some project.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:43 PM, Alma Palmira said:

I've been in SL for 15 years. Ouch! That really hurts. Finding friends in SL has its challenges. Here are my rules of engagement:

• Join an interest group (not just a sales group or an invite from a generic bot greeter.) When the iPhone first came out Apple had an ad campaign that said, "there's an app for that!" In SL the saying should be, "there's a group for that!" Unpack a latent interest and search for them.
  • These groups will have mixer events. Attend a mixer. Lurk and listen.
  • When you have gathered your courage, say something! Riff on something someone else has said, ask a question, Dance!
  • Volunteer in said group. An active group always has need of volunteers to do stuff. Even if they don't, they will know you are interested in building the community which will open organic doors to interact.
  • Be friendly. remember that the only difference between you and a bot in SL is the real person (YOU) behind the keyboard (or mic). Let people see that person.

SL is the perfect place to reinvent yourself. In RL I am an old, white, over weight, gray haired, introverted illustrator of books and stories. In SL I am a middle-aged male person of color, and a 23 yr old white female, and a grey-haired college instructor (my first avatar -- I used to teach.) Each one is me, but each one (for me at least) has a unique temperament that bubbles to the surface. Don't be afraid to discover your virtual you, and don't be surprised if they turn out to be a more extroverted, demure, life of the party, kind of you!

I've been out of SL for 7 years and my original avie will be 14yrs old next month.  But this is an Awesome response!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moxie Quan said:

I've been out of SL for 7 years and my original avie will be 14yrs old next month.  But this is an Awesome response!!!

Welcome back! Like the Hotel California... "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave." I've taken many breaks over the years.It's all good. Nurture whatever brought you back and avoid the things that made you leave the first time! Most of all: Breath. Your virtual life should feed you not the other way around. 🙂

• Like 4

Hello, I have been told I am  good companion to introverts, although I am the opposite myself...

I dont mind going around SL, quietly, exploring, sharing locations and places but visiting and walking separately, or together, ...

I can be quiet, or I can talk. I do not like texting? typing a lot... I actually dont use voice until I know you ....

I have many ideas for things to do and I Like to take pictures...

I also have a small parcel I am not "attatched" to, if anyone has the need to be somewhere safe, or quiet, they are more than welcome, even if I am not there...

anyone can message me. I answer all messages.

yay!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, Alma Palmira said:

Welcome back! Like the Hotel California... "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave." I've taken many breaks over the years. It's all good. Nurture whatever brought you back and avoid the things that made you leave the first time! Most of all: Breath. Your virtual life should feed you not the other way around. 🙂

Thank you.  Quite true.. though that was the 2nd time I left and only did so due to returning to work from the illness which made me take a break in the first place. Then 2018, illness hit again. Now I'm retired, loving home life with the grandkids and doing my thing.  I'm taking a few online courses and back at Builders Brewery taking refreshers as well....lol.  Sl has changed a lot in so many ways, but then it hasn't. Time to go out exploring again as a lot of my old LMs are non existant.  🙃

• Like 1

Everybody talks about groups by interest. Can anyone give some actual examples on those groups? It is a bit hard to imagine what interests can group people in SL. I love to draw & some PC games. There are kinds of social media where people share their works and ask for advise. How can group in SL be active for such interest?

On 2/21/2021 at 5:19 AM, Karina Leborski said:

Everybody talks about groups by interest. Can anyone give some actual examples on those groups? It is a bit hard to imagine what interests can group people in SL. I love to draw & some PC games. There are kinds of social media where people share their works and ask for advise. How can group in SL be active for such interest?

Caged excellence is a BDSM sim and group with active friendly members and lots of events.

Mad Peas is a buyers group, but they also have and active group centered around mad peas games and hunts.

Flikr has an active SL photography group

Builders Brewery has a sandbox group, community and sim  that is extremely helpful with learning how to build stuff. They also have events.

a lot of these groups have discord connections that span SL and RL. 
there are countless art groups and galleries that exhibit creativity in many forms.

SL in-world search is a mess but with a little triangulation between google search, and SL search, and in world exploring you can find lots of niche groups.

Edited by Alma Palmira
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 4:05 PM, Alma Palmira said:

Caged excellence is a BDSM sim and group with active friendly members and lots of events.

Mad Peas is a buyers group, but they also have and active group centered around mad peas games and hunts.

Flikr has an active SL photography group

Builders Brewery has a sandbox group, community and sim  that is extremely helpful with learning how to build stuff. They also have events.

a lot of these groups have discord connections that span SL and RL. 
there are countless art groups and galleries that exhibit creativity in many forms.

SL in-world search is a mess but with a little triangulation between google search, and SL search, and in world exploring you can find lots of niche groups.

Hey, new as well... Well, new in respect that I came back from a 6 year hiatus... Decided to start a new account... But I just want to thank you (and everyone else that's posted help).... Its great to see that there are still helpful people! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.