Sailing the Stilts, what are your plans?

Kat Shadow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is the main reason I wanted a house in Margaritaville- to have a boat right off my deck to sail Bellisseria (& hopefully, eventually, the rest of SL) from. The closeness of the homes & twistiness of the waterways makes smaller personal craft a must, so I dug deep in my INV over the last few days trying & retrying all my small watercraft. My back deck in Littoral Truth abuts a land & launch rez zone (yay!)

My "grab & go sailing" boats so far are these two:

Cigar Yacht's  GXR-1650 Jetski. This is perfect for two people, tons of cute poses & slips right under piers, bonus it has wave rider physics for taking it to surf sims. 

For more leisurely cruising with more friends: Mesh Shop Captain's Launch. My all time favorite for its variety of experiences: seats 4, the motor is quiet, it's responsive & turns well, looks sleek, has a nice wake, and hoist a sail & cut the motor & fish a while.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of Loonettas too, but what other craft will you fish out to sail the new regions?

The Forever SummerMERRY STILTS & HAPPY NEW YEAR from the hardworking & wonderful Lindens & Moles

Edited by KatHeartsong Kaos
  • Like 13

It is a shame that LL did not let it be some canals or open waterways through. I have to let the boat slide on the region borders to find water this open. I used a rez zone in Corderosa and went west. I belive I was more under peoples houses than beside them in the start. The Bandit 170 that's already mentioned, is the only one that handle this area well, I think. I have tried other boats, and their low throttle is too high speed.

cala_013.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
Typo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t explored the waterways yet. I’ve put a double kayak rezzer on my dock. It will be open to anyone who wants to try it out. I have a tendency to move around a lot, so I’’m not posting the location here. Feel free to contact me inworld or message me in the forums. I haven’t really been sailing much, since I joined Bellisseria. My kayaks have been my mode of transport. They’re great for navigating in tight waterways. 

• Like 4

My OL parcel has some water, but it's limited and fairly shallow.  Even so,  I do intend to always have one boat, and hopefully an amphibian car as well, rezzed.  Since I haven't furnished the house yet, I put out my favorite boats to try, each about 31LI.

From R to L we have a Loonetta, Mesh Harbor's Bandit IF (a small sailboat, but very yar, and can seat 4), and the S&S Harbor Master putt-putt, also able to seat 4.  Plus there's a Mudskipper garaged under the house.

The Loonetta is really a pretty big boat!  It's actually aground in this pic, so isn't a candidate.  I think you'd need an OW or OP stilt to accommodate it.

I'm sitting on the deck next to a mermaid sculpture that I'm intending to use as a rezzer.  It will be able to rez the Harbor Master where it is now, the Mudskipper under the house, and/or the IF where the Loonetta is now (the deepest water I have).  Using a rezzer, and having a few alts that are active inworld, puts a couple of restrictions on vehicles:

> They have to be able to retain their settings when rezzed.

> They have to be settable to group or use a 'permitted drivers' card.

All 4 of these vehicles can be used in that way.

boats_003.thumb.jpg.75398f961f69c4524d5715f328cabc6a.jpg

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 12

There's a known bug affecting all vehicles at region crossing. This thread covers it. Region Crossing Bug

I've been struggling to code a fix, but I don't script well enough, and the interaction between region-crossing and scripts looks pretty horrible. The Lindens are aware of the problem, but it definitely hasn't been fixed yet. And I have not heard of anyone with a successful script fix.

I've done a couple of long SLRR runs this week, and this bug can hit on the first region crossing, or after several dozen.

There are one or two boats and canoes which are worn, rather than using vehicle scripting, and they might be worth a try.

• Thanks 3

I’ve been travelling quite a lot over the holidays in various vehicles on both road and water and haven’t had my enjoyment spoiled by the bug. I keep the script error box as small as possible and just leave it in the corner of my screen so just see the icon appear over the vehicle if the crossing throws up the error. It certainly hasn’t ‘borked’ any of my vehicles.

• Like 3

Well I am sure they will share more  information for you sailors of SL  to help how to get around these houses just hit. Sailing is big thing to do in sl so they will put something together with the maps and rez area's and more tips and tricks. Keep looking in the forums and the sl forum news with the Bellisseria Citizens  group.  I just got mine so I still in the works of sailing.

Edited by Christina Mysterious
  • Like 1

All my boats except one are either freebies or cost L$10 or less. 

201230_006.thumb.jpg.f7a5c1a875264ed21dfbcfa00c644735.jpg

(L-R): Flying Fizz 3, BBK137, Becky's Baby Sloop, SHA-Zero.  All these boats use B-Wind (I think - not 100% certain on the Flying Fizz but the other three definitely do). The first three are currently available for free at Tradewinds Yacht Club. The last one is L$99 on the MP.  Of these four, only the first two are really suitable for sailing round the Stilts. The sloop is too big and the SHA is just too darn fast.  I love the SHA though, and it's my go-to sailboat for sailing everywhere else. Mod too, with templates included for hull and spinnaker textures, so you can easily make your own.

This week I've picked up a handful of motor boats specifically for use in the Stilts regions.

201230_007.thumb.jpg.b49fcb088f8bf0f66e41e6eb414605c9.jpg

(L-R): Lisa's Duckbill, Michie's Rubber Boat, HVW ERB Rescue Boat. The Duckbill is L$10, the other two are free off the MP. 

One last one that I forgot to take a pic of. Michie's Fishing-boat. Also free on the MP

Snapshot_003.jpg?1558185626

Of these four, I like the HVW Rescue boat best. 

Unfortunately my OL house, while it has a tiny bit of water in one corner, doesn't have enough for the whole length of any of these boats, but I do keep a copy of the last one, half dragged up onto the beach.

Edited by Karly Kiyori
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

BERDAV®marine Eleven,
an 11' basic wooden deck boat,
powered by our proven and reliable 1 cylinder 2-stroke outboard mariner,
the perfect solution for quick island hopping,
with space aboard for 3 and with the latest BERDAV® script generation,
a basic and free small power boat.

Fits under the stilts on water.  My Loonetta docked by the deck might be too big to navigate all those non phantom parcel corner posts though.

Free on Marketplace

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

BERDAV®marine Eleven

This is our goto boat for Campers.  11 LI, straightforward menus, draws basically nothing, solid on region crossings.  For an OL stilt with just a tiny amount of water, it would be a terrific solution.  It can be set to group, and comes with a cradle as well.

BERDAV kindly supplies PSDs for this boat as well if you want to customize the look, which I pulled down but never played with.   IIRC, the mesh is not divided up into separate faces.

Frankly, it is everything that What Next's and Culprit's little boats should be, but aren't, chiefly due to the scripts they both chose.  If you want a boat for looks, get those.  If you want to actually GO BOATING in shallow, crowded waters ... pick up a BERDAV eleven.  You won't get frills like built-in fishing, GTFO, GFS fuel system, wakeboards/tubes, custom action anims, hydroplaning (those are why you BUY a boat!), but you WILL get very very good boating.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, arabellajones said:

There's a known bug affecting all vehicles at region crossing. This thread covers it. Region Crossing Bug

I've been struggling to code a fix, but I don't script well enough, and the interaction between region-crossing and scripts looks pretty horrible. The Lindens are aware of the problem, but it definitely hasn't been fixed yet. And I have not heard of anyone with a successful script fix.

I've done a couple of long SLRR runs this week, and this bug can hit on the first region crossing, or after several dozen.

There are one or two boats and canoes which are worn, rather than using vehicle scripting, and they might be worth a try.

Try this script in vehicles that are mod and use Avsit 1.29. It works well in the bandit If and the Ushuaia... I am sure others too.. just those are the only ones I regularly sail now aside from the 22 LTE that doesn't seem to need it.

It won't work with the Loonetta which is a huge shame as it is a lovely old boat that has been a regular since it was released and for me the regularity of the problems with it is such I get no pleasure from it. An alternative is the recent Captain's Launch that has a decent motor speed and simple sailing. Note, if the huge Flag on it puts you off you can resize it or put an alpha texture on the flag.   

Edited to add from the description the linked script works on:

TMS Star Class, TMS Ushuaia, Bandit 170, Bandit SRV210 (not 210C) and should work in any vehicle that uses AVsitter 1.29 : TMS Iseo (all versions), TMS Privilege, TMS Captains Launch, Bandit 570, Bandit Bambino, Bandit SweetPea, TMS Elements, TMS Flying Shadow, TMS Sea Boss Rider, TMS Sea Boss Xtreme, Bandit IF, Bandit 50/3, Bandit 460AK, TMS Pacha 110, TMS Ocean Beach, TMS Destino, Bandit Luxe Motor, Bandit Springer, Bandit Dixie Belle, TMS Flying Fish, TMS Sea Boss - Cadet.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Try this script in vehicles that are mod and use Avsit 1.29. It works well in the bandit If and the Ushuaia... I am sure others too.. just those are the only ones I regularly sail now aside from the 22 LTE that doesn't seem to need it.

It won't work with the Loonetta which is a huge shame as it is a lovely old boat that has been a regular since it was released and for me the regularity of the problems with it is such I get no pleasure from it. An alternative is the recent Captain's Launch that has a decent motor speed and simple sailing. Note, if the huge Flag on it puts you off you can resize it or put an alpha texture on the flag.   

Edited to add from the description the linked script works on:

TMS Star Class, TMS Ushuaia, Bandit 170, Bandit SRV210 (not 210C) and should work in any vehicle that uses AVsitter 1.29 : TMS Iseo (all versions), TMS Privilege, TMS Captains Launch, Bandit 570, Bandit Bambino, Bandit SweetPea, TMS Elements, TMS Flying Shadow, TMS Sea Boss Rider, TMS Sea Boss Xtreme, Bandit IF, Bandit 50/3, Bandit 460AK, TMS Pacha 110, TMS Ocean Beach, TMS Destino, Bandit Luxe Motor, Bandit Springer, Bandit Dixie Belle, TMS Flying Fish, TMS Sea Boss - Cadet.

Thanks.

In the discussion I linked to, I was told that the region crossing bug didn't raise a CHANGED_LINK signal in a changed event, so I am not sure how that script can work, and the vehicle I have been working on doesn't use Avsit. The best I have been able to do is add a slight delay at every region crossing, and that Avsit script uses a much bigger delay.

8 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

An nice alternative to the Berdav 11 is this little Emergency Response Boat, it has the added benefit of being full perm so you can play with the settings and scripts and modify it as you like.

This is a lovely little boat and perfect for the narrow channels in Bellisseria. I use it all the time and apart from the moving camera which is different to the fixed I normally use is perfect away from open water. There are four gears, top speed ~36km/h and in gear 1 a nice slow 3km/h for tight spots.

image.thumb.png.d93ca12bbb86f3df345f8756eba8eb47.png

• Like 5

4 hours ago, arabellajones said:

Thanks.

In the discussion I linked to, I was told that the region crossing bug didn't raise a CHANGED_LINK signal in a changed event, so I am not sure how that script can work, and the vehicle I have been working on doesn't use Avsit. The best I have been able to do is add a slight delay at every region crossing, and that Avsit script uses a much bigger delay.

I suggest talking with Carla Wetter or Uggo about it, they have both made script "fixes" that work well for the boats using the old avsit. I know they have done extensive testing before they went public with a solution and my own experience and that of others is that the fixes make a problem that made the majority of popular boats frustratingly broken after a few crossings back to being relatively reliable again.

I can only speak from experience and whilst I occasionally fly and ride land vehicles it is boats that I will spend over 10 hours of every week using for events I run and attend. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lloyd Overland said:

This is a lovely little boat and perfect for the narrow channels in Bellisseria. I use it all the time and apart from the moving camera which is different to the fixed I normally use is perfect away from open water. There are four gears, top speed ~36km/h and in gear 1 a nice slow 3km/h for tight spots.

image.thumb.png.d93ca12bbb86f3df345f8756eba8eb47.png

For a fixed camera view I generally use the Free Trudeau Camera Hud that you can get from their vendors.

You can try tweaking the Motorboat script itself "Motorboat 0.0.4 (L/C/I)" lines 42-45 cover camera parameters.

I prefer to use these, still a dynamic camera view though:

// camera paramters
vector cameralookAt = <1.0, 0.0, 0.0>;
float cameraDistance = 3.5;
float cameraPitch = 3.0;

(Again these settings are courtesy of Uggo.)

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.