Default avatar light-skinned? This could change ASAP :)

KasiaAleksa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:
26 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:
28 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Linden Lab still makes the MALE avatars without a p**is which means there aren't any male avatars at all.

Careful there.

What for.

I'm being light-hearted as I'm sure you are too, but what you're saying is that the genitals you have is what defines your gender. P**is = man. No p**is = no man. This line of reasoning is something trans people find very distressing, both male-to-female as well as female-to-male.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I'm being light-hearted as I'm sure you are too, but what you're saying is that the genitals you have is what defines your gender. P**is = man. No p**is = no man. This line of reasoning is something trans people find very distressing, both male-to-female as well as female-to-male.

All i know is that i haven't been able to pee in SL for 11 years and analyzing human biology vs human psychology isn't helping with that. Still have no p**nis.

• Haha 2

If everyone and their dog got the default avatar that applies to their "identity" then there would be a bazillion default avatars, and no need for creators to make shapes, skins, mesh bodies, accessories etc. 

And there would still be someone not happy with what they get.

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Evah Baxton said:

Start all new members in AV edit mode with gray skin color. Don't allow them to continue until they've saved their AV.

NO NO NO! You cant to that, as coal/graphite mine workers would be benefited with that setting.
These days its not possible anymore do to something without scratching someones paper-thin skin and make them scream loud.

• Like 3

First off, kudos to Linden Lab for making "gender-variant/non-binary" a choice. Oh yes, that's going to trigger all the right people. 

And the OP is not wrong, when you sign into SL for the first time with your new non-binary avatar, you get the Chris avatar:

Snapshot_001.thumb.png.f122cdd14a84ea5dd53c9886c42d6e02.png

Which isn't a bad avatar, that's quite good really. But that's what you get, and if you've chosen non-binary, that's all you get. Look at the image Chaser posted of the starter avatars and tell me which ones you think qualify as "non-binary". There's a pretty good variety of gendered starter avatars, similar choice for those who pick non-binary would be nice. 

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

More choice = more good, sometimes.

There are many reasons related to human psychology to reduce choice. Look up "analysis paralysis" and "beauty in simplicity (in design)" for example. LL has used these to reduce the complexity of the signup process in many ways for new accounts.

But I think the main reason for the overall tone of responses in this particular thread (not seen as much in other threads with similar subjects) is the opening line.

"I chose non-binary and was given a light-skinned/white avatar."

Like, excuse me? Light-skinned/white people can't be non-binary? Or is it the skin color in general that's the issue? They did follow that up with "okay, it's fine" but then made the whole thread about how it's neither okay nor fine.

That totally comes off as playing the victim and/or what some people call SJW issues.

No..? That's not what I got from op at all and I am a light skinned/white non binary. They just described what they did so any curious could either:

A: replicaite it. Sometimes thins turn out diffently if there's a randomised  element so repettiin can help.

B: correct op politely.

Also choice paralysis is hardly going to kick in the moment other options for skintones are added? Like... that's a reach.  Much like your whole post really. I am not seeing what you seem to see. Because I don't see the issue in letting people choose a starting avatar or having a selection of skin options.

It won't make it too complex. Trust me, many mmos and other virtual places  have managed just fine with selections.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

If you go to Avatar->Choose Avatar from the menu, you get to choose from all of the avatars whether you are an new or old account.  So I don't think LL has a problem with anyone getting their free avatars, especially as they are all in the Inventory Library as well.

Yesh you are right there are those but most people don't know about the library.  And, what I was really meaning is all those free "monsters" as shown in the post by Chaser Zaks.  Some of those are very cool.  I could see people just making accounts to get the free Monsters.  Do we have all those in our library - the monsters?   If so, I never knew that.  

10 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

With the pool of talent LL has available, it would be nice if they would create a mesh avatar that would be able to use some available clothing or at the least, provide the current avatars with alpha huds.  They've had people create the mesh avs  so just take it a step further and provide the ability of alpha as needed since most clothing doesn't provide an alpha layer anymore.  When we all came in with the old default bodies, you could wear anything.  Not so anymore and I think a big reason why people get frustrated.  Or, make the existing starter mesh avs BOM.

Yesh, I mentioned we could use some kind of starter mesh avatars a long time ago.  At least a starter mesh avatar could give some idea of what the recommended specs might need to be.  LOL

Edited by FairreLilette

7 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Racist snowflakes get triggered out of their safe spaces very easily

It would have been interesting to see if the responses would have been different if the OP had asked for more variety in choices without referring to skin tone. I suspect the outrage would not have existed. There might still have been some "they do it that way because of this" responses, but the tone would have almost certainly been more polite...

Maybe/likely it has nothing to do with any racists overtones and is more about the idea that if the Lab actually has to spend time sorting out a better selection of avatars, it will take away time from whatever other pet projects we individually would rather the Lab would be engaged with.

Personally it is my opinion that if this is going to become a typical CF#, then just give new people the old ruth's and avoid any controversy.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Yesh you are right there are those but most people don't know about the library.  And, what I was really meaning is all those free "monsters" as shown in the post by Chaser Zaks.  Some of those are very cool.  I could see people just making accounts to get the free Monsters.  Do we have all those in our library - the monsters?   If so, I never knew that. 

Go to Library, then Clothing, then initial outfits.. For more options, go below that in the same directory to Older outfits..

There are tons  to try out..:)

• Like 1

Just delete all starteravatars and give people a round, grey ball as a replacement. Let them also select non-effective boxes during account creation, so they can play pretend that this gives their avatar any gender, orientation, religion, ethnicity, nationality, color preference, favorite pizza topping and more. Leave some blank boxes, too, so people can write in whatever else is missing. Problem solved.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It could be worse..

Remember the good ole days when we all thought we were so Hawt?

hehehe

Sl_history_website_2002.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

A lot of those things are made with the SL tools though...thankfully professionals came in with stuff we could buy.  The make your own avatar out of the SL tools are horrid avatars.  The hair was/is especially awful if made with the SL tools.  

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

A lot of those things are made with the SL tools though...thankfully professionals came in with stuff we could buy.  The make your own avatar out of the SL tools are horrid avatars.  The hair was/is especially awful if made with the SL tools.  

That's how you started out back then.. like a lump of clay with a basic shape, bewbies or no bewbies.. hehehehe

that's what i mean by it could be worse.. we could have those starter avatars still.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's how you started out back then.. like a lump of clay with a basic shape, bewbies or no bewbies.. hehehehe

that's what i mean by it could be worse.. we could have those starter still.. hehehe

Gosh, Ceka, I don't remember my other two starter avi's of long ago.  This is my 3rd time in SL and I picked the Angel as my starter.  I still wonder why Phillip Rosedale or whomever put those tools in there to make your own avi...he'd have to know almost all people would hate 'em because there is very little detail making an av with the SL tools.

But, back to the OP.  The no choice thing is weird.  It was gone about a year ago then when I made my third account.  It just rezzed me in with an avatar I never choose.  It just slapped a female on me but I wasn't planning on being any of the starter av's anyways.  I ditch those asap.  

I'm sorry the OP feels offended.  I don't think it's a good to start a new account without a chance to at least choose one.  :(

Edited by FairreLilette

18 hours ago, KasiaAleksa said:

It would just be so fun if so many people were welcomed and represented from the get go in SL, that's all... 😢 :') :)

I made an alt about 2 months ago to see what it was like to be new to SL.. I can't remember even having a place to choose what avatar I wanted..

It was kind of late at night and I may have missed it..

Was there a place to choose which one you wanted?

Before, it was right there when you were signing up and doing your name and stuff.. For the life of me I can't remember having an option this time around..

hehehe

ETA: Damn, I missed the part about the OP saying they didn't have an option to pick their avatar.. I must have read it wrong at first..

Now i sound like I just copied what they said.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

13 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Okay, now I know there are a lot of people here from the Netherland and United States whose first language isn't English, but what part of the OP in any way suggest being offended, victimized or triggered? They're suggesting more variety in non-binary starter avatars would be nice. 

I didn't see the OP as being offended or victimized.  They just posed a question as to why.  My initial reaction was because I knew how this thread would end up.  People feeling offended by someone they think is feeling offended and so on and so on and so on.

If what sex, color, height, weight, religion my SL starter avatar rezzes in as is my biggest problem today, I'm going to call it a non-issue.  Should LL make more options available?  Yep  Will LL make more starter avs available?  Possibly but it hardly is a roadblock to most people signing up.  Or at least, it shoudn't be.  IT'S AN AVATAR.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Treat the Starter Avatar as a Placeholder - that is exactly what it is.

Exactly and as most new people aren't going to be attached to their specific look as a lot of people become over time, if they can get something they at least feel a bit comfortable with, that should be fine.  They have white and black, male and female (some of each can certainly be thought of as non-binary IMO), short and tall.  That's more than enough to START.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Gosh, Ceka, I don't remember my other two starter avi's of long ago.  This is my 3rd time in SL and I picked the Angel as my starter.  I still wonder why Phillip Rosedale or whomever put those tools in there to make your own avi...he'd have to know almost all people would hate 'em because there is very little detail making an av with the SL tools.

But, back to the OP.  The no choice thing is weird.  It was gone about a year ago then when I made my third account.  It just rezzed me in with an avatar I never choose.  It just slapped a female on me but I wasn't planning on being any of the starter av's anyways.  I ditch those asap.  

I'm sorry the OP feels offended.  I don't think it's a good to start a new account without a chance to at least choose one.  :(

I've only ever really used this one until recently..  The tools or sliders were there so you could adjust your avatar more to what you wanted at the time and still today.. if we didn't still have those tools today, we'd all be looking like the bodies and heads we are buying today from the creators.. it's the little tweaks and jukes that we put in them that change say, one genus head from the other.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.