Misuse of "Black Lives Matter" is harmful for serious movement

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1297 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am concerning that some residents using "Black Lives Matter" slogan for making money, not for black people.

For example, look at this picture taken at Baileya (If you go there, you can't miss it !). She is putting BLM Ads on her land named as "Black Lives Matter Memorial" and setting land price as 65,000L$, 14.4L$/sqm. It is clear that her intention is on selling her land with high price rate, not on BLM. Also, this ad is huge (over 8m), floating on the sky - violating LL Official Ad guidelines. This is clear that she is using BLM slogan to enforce surrounding residents to buy her land. Such "BLM Land Extortion" is misuse of BLM slogan, harmful for serious BLM movement.

BLM.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Honganji Nishi said:

belindacarson, you are off the point. The problem is using BLM slogan for land extortion business, not the land price.

Yes, landowners free to sell land at any price they want to. Just put "Land on Sale" objects, no need to use BLM slogan with huge prim.

If you AR them, LL will decide if they are ad farming.. If they are ad farming the signs will be removed..

Edited to add:

Also you should remove the image from the OP because on the forums rules, we are not allowed to name and shame other users..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Honganji Nishi said:

belindacarson, you are off the point. The problem is using BLM slogan for land extortion business, not the land price.

Yes, landowners free to sell land at any price they want to. Just put "Land on Sale" objects, no need to use BLM slogan with huge prim.

How do you know they're using it for that purpose? You don't - you can only assume.

As long as that person owns the land they can put anything on there until LL say otherwise.

Take a deep breath, right click it>report, then go about your day.

No need to try and make it into a political issue when it's not.

I'm done on this thread. ^^

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Honganji Nishi said:

Even if that could be proven, does it violate any policy?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diamond Caudron said:

Even if that could be proven, does it violate any policy?

It does, actually. Linden Lab recently decided that "political advertising" is prohibited within the TOS. So even if the intention is not price-gouging, it's still breaking the rules.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

There is also certainly a LOT of "Ravenglass Rentals" owned parcels in that sim, like 27 out of the 48 parcels.

Ravenglass Rentals also committing Ad Farming. They are leaving their renter putting "EVERY LIVES MATTER" Ad at opposite side and making "Ad Flaming". I will report both Ads.

21 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

no matter what it says, the sign can be Abuse reported. As signs must be tethered to the ground (not floating) and when tethered cannot be taller than 8 meters 

Yes. Both Ads are floating on the air and taller than 8 meters, violation of TOS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Honganji Nishi said:

Ravenglass Rentals also committing Ad Farming. They are leaving their renter putting "EVERY LIVES MATTER" Ad at opposite side and making "Ad Flaming". I will report both Ads.

Yes. Both Ads are floating on the air and taller than 8 meters, violation of TOS.

Well you could have been typing abuse reports instead of posts that nobody here is able to attend action.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Honganji Nishi said:

"EVERY LIVES MATTER" Ad at opposite side and making "Ad Flaming". 

Oh Dear, shockingly surprised she would've made such a grammar error on that!  She should've typed it..No Lives Matter or Something like that, Just guessing LOL

We all have our typo moments i would imagine. to each his own I always say.

Edited by Sassy Kenin
Typo LOL

10 hours ago, Honganji Nishi said:

Defo report the sign, if you don't want to report it, send me the slurl and I'll report it 😁

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

Linden likely has the the 'no political advertising' policy to discourage or attempt to prevent any 'Trump' advertising. Rarely is anything enforced on the other side of the spectrum, and certainly not BLM....

au contraire, I got a giant BLM sign removed from across the road from my club 😁

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Zack Massiel said:

In most cases, I agree. When its just a huge prim blocking say a neighbors view just for an ad or statement? That's a bit overboard.

The land is for sale, so regardless of what is on the sign, its ad farming and clearly not conforming to the rules, and so yes, anyone is entitled to AR it.

32 minutes ago, Zack Massiel said:

In most cases, I agree. When its just a huge prim blocking say a neighbors view just for an ad or statement? That's a bit overboard.

I once had a huge wall blocking my view of the water. I perminately derendered it.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

The land is for sale, so regardless of what is on the sign, its ad farming and clearly not conforming to the rules, and so yes, anyone is entitled to AR it.

Anyone is allowed to AR anything they want :P I know it was for sale, I was stating my own opinion on the matter.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1297 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.