Misuse of "Black Lives Matter" is harmful for serious movement

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Why can't everyone just mind their own business and just let others do SL like they want to?

when you live near it i can imagine to report it... but one of the micro parcel flippers/addvertisement promotor, traveling to go report people she's not even close to is absurd.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Why can't everyone just mind their own business and just let others do SL like they want to?

It's easy to live and let live when big attention seeking overtures are kept to a minimum.

If people push their lives and agendas into public view, the public will respond. Especially when it concerns values.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

when you live near it i can imagine to report it... but one of the micro parcel flippers/addvertisement promotor, traveling to go report people she's not even close to is absurd.

You'll be happy to know that I've sold almost all of my microparcels, and at a nice profit.

Thank you for your concern. 😁

It really depends on if they'd consider it an ad farm or not.

Political advertising is entirely allowed on your home parcel. Though perhaps not with signs that big - but in that case, the neighbour would also get theirs removed.

Should be interesting to see what the result is.

Those signs DO violate the rules for the height of signs.

AR them for that reason.

Everything stated in them is correct and something I agree with, and I've often had similar signage on my own land. But there is a way to display things if you want to communicate and a way to display them if your intention is to force people to 'pay you' to get rid of you...

You can display messages in a manner that 'fits into' the area better:

b03339d3fba2c0ba67541227d158aebc.thumb.jpg.fdb8d1c2cdeba58b184f4cf8bf04fd18.jpg

5ef0c9cf9e806a9ca2e9cae899ea9853.thumb.jpg.43f9a852d667d5064ac06a789fc48aa7.jpg

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I'm sure that would satisfy the chuds and concern trolls.

Of course it won't... 🙂

There is a faction of people that hate these signs for the very message on them. That faction is the bulk of those complaining. I suspect they are ALSO the ones using them in a manner to 'scare others off' much as griefers used to grief by spamming folks with particle photos of Obama...

- They hate the message, so they view it as scary - and so it becomes the tool through which they try to generate outrage and fear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/4/2020 at 2:39 AM, Honganji Nishi said:

I am concerning that some residents using "Black Lives Matter" slogan for making money, not for black people.

For example, look at this picture taken at Baileya (If you go there, you can't miss it !). She is putting BLM Ads on her land named as "Black Lives Matter Memorial" and setting land price as 65,000L$, 14.4L$/sqm. It is clear that her intention is on selling her land with high price rate, not on BLM. Also, this ad is huge (over 8m), floating on the sky - violating LL Official Ad guidelines. This is clear that she is using BLM slogan to enforce surrounding residents to buy her land. Such "BLM Land Extortion" is misuse of BLM slogan, harmful for serious BLM movement.

BLM.png

I totally agree, it's a misuse of the movement, which I support, to use it to extort land sales -- and there's a history here in fact of long-time attempts to get me to sell my land adjacent to this land -- which I won't do as there are tenants on it. And those tenants have been harassed for years.

Yes, we have abuse reported the latest antics of this person to no avail, multiple times, despite clear violations of ad guidelines. But Lindens may have decided that this is not an ad but a political expression. If so, the land should not be put to sale. It's all fake.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Belindacarson already answered you straight-up:  File a report.  If they do this to bully their neighbors -- worthy of repeating *if* they do this to bully their neighbors into paying gross amounts of money to shut down their ugly-visuals, then SL I am convinced will shut them down because yah that's literally against SL rules.  So file your report.  Proving it?  Gonna be at the sake of the mood of SL because if the only evidence you have is "high price set for parcel sale" and "puts up ugly stuff all over", then I suspect that's almost no evidence at all.  Travel around at available parcels for sale anywhere and move your Draw Distance out. That ugly-horizon clutter thing is all over!  And alone or with a high price set on a parcel is just not enough to say there is extortion going on!  

And In my experience it is never good to insist ones own group have MORE rules resulting in LESS lawful use of their properties.  Find a way to understand and accept, make room for those who think differently than you, and if necessary to get you through it, hope they move soon every single day you login. 

I think it is quite frankly a wiser use of your time and RL body energy (especially during an ongoing Pandemic) to right-click- Derender + Blacklist, only once for each of what looks like only single-object signs, than it is for your RL body to boil-up and harbor resentment while at SL about a "virtual" thing you can poof in almost an instant and be done with it.  If those signs are not scripted, then your permanent Derender will do what you infer here will make you completely happy, i.e. you wont have to view their "horizon candy" ever again and will eventually forget it was ever there.  But if you're really angry about something different than visual-clutter, then that suggests a RL thing and I'm not sure SL is the best venue to work through it.  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.