Organizing your Inventory

Error403Forbidden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Good evening everyone!

I'd like to reach out to the forums for some ideas / help. Mostly ideas or what you do for the next thing I write.

I've been on SL for many years now and through out my time I have become a big collector in clothes, bodies, heads, ect. However; I also have owned many plots of land in my time vary in themes and locations. I've been trying to organize my inventory for a long time and it appears to get worse and worse! With owning so many different items, it's becoming hard to figure out how I want to organize stuff.

What I have tried:

• Organize by Brand:
    • I have given this a shot and to my shock, there is a lot of brands I buy from! Sadly, there is some brands I have only ever purchased once from. So it feel pointless to make a folder just for one brand's items. On top of this, some brands make decor and clothes! Or a mix of everything else to offer in SL, which drives me nuts having decor and clothes in the same folder.
  • Organize by Types:
    • Shirts, Pants, Shoes, Ect. Ahh yes, I have tried! The clothing is the easier part of this, but when it comes to decor, a whole mess of questions come in for me. Do I organize by themes, or just through it all into the same things such a "Beds" even though some beds might be dark and spooky while others are kawaii, bright and pink! 
  • ***** it all:
    • I tried this as well, but the overwhelming need to de-clutter and organize distracts me to the core! 

So ... what are your ideas?

• Like 1

13 answers to this question

i organise by type

i tend to organise the same way I do in my RL

with wearables like clothes some things go on hangers, other things are folded into drawers. Shoes on shelves, jewellery in jewel boxes, etc. So organise my system Clothing folder in this way 

with non-wearables I stick them in my system Textures folder and start with Garden, Home and Textures sub-folders

then sub-category Garden into Flora and Structures.  Flora being natural items by type: Trees, Plants, Flowers, Rocks, etc. Structures into: Fences, Outbuildings, Paving, Statues, Water Features, etc

sub-foldering down further when I start to get a lot of a particular items, like Flowers \ Potted, Flowers \ Not Potted.  Etc

with Home then Buildings and Interiors.  Buildings into Complete and Components. Components into categories like Doors, Windows, etc

Interiors I do by Room type: Kitchen, Bathroom, Bedroom, Lounge, Study, etc. Some things can go in any room and when so then I follow my RL thoughts: If was to have this item in my RL where would I put it in my own RL house

then I have 2 or more folders: Wearables in my system Clothing folder. Clutter in my system Textures folder.  For things I haven't yet categorised entirely

in my Clothing wardrobe/closets/drawers/shelves then for each piece that has multiple body types then I create a sub-folder within the for all the items that I don't wear and info notecards and store LMs

like: Clothing \ Wardrobe \ Dress \ A Blue Dress

in folder is item: A Blue Dress for my main worn body type, and A Blue Dress HUD if any, and a sub-folder usually named Other in which is all the other stuff that I got from the creator of A Blue Dress

I organize by type as well.  I have a folder for the different types of items. For example. I have a folder called Furniture and under that, I have the different types of furniture it is, like Bedroom.  Under that I have things like Beds, bedroom sets, nightstands and so on.  In each of those folders I have a folder called Boxed and that is where I put the boxed item as a backup.

For example, I just bought a new bed so I put the boxed version in "Furniture\bedroom\beds\boxed" and the unpacked bed in "Furniture\bedroom\beds"

I do the same with clothes, body parts (heads, skins, hair, etc), building materials, and so on.

I have favorite clothes or things I wear and take off frequently in the favorites folder for quick access.

• Like 1

I organise my inventory by date using the sort function.

And to keep folders getting too big create folders to move things into labeled descriptively things like "stuff", "more stuff" or "stuff from Summer 2017" etc etc.

Edited by Aethelwine

Subfolder EVERYTHING over and over as soon a folder gets too big. So when you have ***Clothes - ***Bottoms - ***Skirts.... You go ***Jeans Skirts or ***Long Skirts or whatever.

My object, trash, received and lost and found folder are always empty. I don't log off before I do that. That is what keeps it organized.

I delete notecards, unpackers, sizes I don't need and thank you notes straight away. Also I rename the folder, can't stand the weird names like ....DEvoU.:::JOyS for a top because that what makes stuff impossible to find back. I would rename it Devou Joys Top Black (Example) Keeps it nice on the ABC too :)

When I search for something and can't find it within 2 seconds, I know it in the wrong subfolder or not named right to connect it to my brain. So I put it in a diff subfolder or rename it again. If that make sense.

Inventory.png

• Like 1

For furnishings and landscaping I use type subfolders under a H&G Indoors folder and a H&G Outdoors folder similar to Chic's example above. 

However, when dealing with themed items that I'm not likely to intermingle with my regular decor or landscaping, I put those items in type subfolders under a themed H&G folder (for example, H&G Medieval, Renaissance, Rustic or H&G Fantasy).

I love seeing how everyone organizes. I am still working on a system for me. Eventually I'd love to have a visual representation of my wardrobe (I did buy that system like two years ago lol), but first I got to get all the crap out of my objects folder. Last year I did manage to clean up everything to the point where its at least all mesh stuff now. Organizing is sort of like knitting for me now, something I do in my down time while watching a movie or show as it doesn't require a lot of brain power from me.  Eventually I need to work on resell of a bunch of my gacha as that has been one of the huge contributing factors to the mess that is my inventory, but that's a whole topic on it's own. 

I'd be curious to know how big your inventories actually are. I am at 85k right now and that is with purging demos and packing up my ancient but precious wardrobe from 2007, but I got bunch more to do.

I don't organize at all.  I figure it doesn't matter where something is located if I'm going to be using inventory search to find it anyhow.  I do, however, run into the problem of oddly-named items.  Those are very hard to find.  I just have 14 years worth of stuff jammed into my junk drawer, so it would take a very long time to sort through all that.

I've been here a while. I have found old stuff is way less useful. Especially with clothes. So, now I use Category - Year. So,

• Clothes
    • Dresses
      • Favs
      • etc
    • Shoes
        • heels
        • sandals
        • etc
      • etc

I go through the old stuff now and then and decide if I'll ever use it again. Do something similar for STUFF... tables, plants, etc.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.