America, we need to talk...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

Oh.

Well, this thread is kind of silly really.  I've referred to the Queen of England as German as her lineage is German, but what I really meant was she is 'of German heritage'.  Many of us say things the lazy way.  

True and then you have grammar nazi's that come in and get all bent out of shape about it and even more bent out of shape if you call them a nazi about it.

like omg.. if you cant speak exactly how they want, you cant speak at all in their opinion and should just keep your mouth shut.. pfft..

• Haha 1

Quite simple for me - Born in germany? Living in germany? You're german. You're not? You're not german. You have ancestors from germany? You have german heritage, but are not german . One or both of your parents is german? You're german as well, due to dual citizenship, although you can also say half-german if it's just one parent.

I think there's many reasons why people might be super into their heritage and make that a big part of their identity. 
Maybe they looked into what makes them different from their peers, and took a big interesst in that. Maybe their parents instilled a love for their culture, as a way to reserve ones origins. I see no harm in anything about that.

I tell people I got blue blood, although not because I'm proud of it (??? how even???) , but think the story behind it may be an interessting small talk? Other than that, I have no different heritage other than german, and I'm not much into that, although I am VERY gratefull for the luck to have been born here, because there's places in this world where I propably would have died a long time ago. 

• Like 1

When future residents of the US left their native countries, and again when they headed west in covered wagons to "setttle" the rest of the US, often they never saw their families again. This is a trauma, and as such leaves people feeling rootless, not anchored to anything and experiencing a lack of identity.This trauma is much of the reason for the separation and emptiness those in the US feel, and their obsession with individualism, and also a primary source of  the over-identification with patriotism the Trumpies express.

So please, have a little patience with those seeking roots, even if they are unable to encompass the full extent of what it means to be a citizen of the country from which they came.

Edited by Luna Bliss

4 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I think it is just silly for USAicans to claim to be Americans as it is for them to claim to be Irish, Italian, or whatever. I'm an Earthling.

That's all well and good ... Until Humans go out and colonize another planet (such as Mars).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

I think it is just silly for USAicans to claim to be Americans as it is for them to claim to be Irish, Italian, or whatever. I'm an Earthling.

say what??!! wait about that!!! your not an earthling.. because I didnt say you could be one!!!111!!!

as if my opinion matters about that fact or choice of how you identify yourself or not... unlike how some in this thread like to think theirs should...

5 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Well I'll up you one....I'm a member of the Universe!    :)

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

That's all well and good ... Until Humans go out and colonize another planet (such as Mars).

well then they are a marsbars-earthling of course. being on that other planet doesn't stop them from being from earth.

were all aliens here anyways.. no one is from earth. all life started elsewhere and just migrated to earth over time. and now that we have about ruined it we want to travel like some parasite to a new place to start it over again.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

8 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

When people mature their identity expands, but it's rude to call someone who's not at your place "silly".  They are where they need to be in their own identity development.

Edited by Luna Bliss

So we can change our sex at will but not change our nationality? It seems that if the barrier of genetics and biological science can be questioned then surely the social construct of nationality can be questioned as well. I feel like having instant ramen today, therefore, I am now Japanese! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

When people mature their identity expands, but it's rude to call someone who's not at your place "silly".  They are where they need to be in their own identity development.

I think it's silly because that is precisely the point what you wrote up here ^^^^.  It's up to them for whatever reason and it's harmless to others.  

Although, perhaps other's are saying "you cannot identify with the problems occurring in fill in the blank" because you've lived in America for x amount of years or generations.

I can relate to that.  I say people cannot fix the problems in California unless they live here.  Californians need to fix the problems here.   

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

So we can change our sex at will but not change our nationality? It seems that if the barrier of genetics and biological science can be questioned then surely the social construct of nationality can be questioned as well. I feel like having instant ramen today, therefore, I am now Japanese! 

This is not about someone changing their nationality....it's about people seeking their roots. I've never known anyone who identified with their ancestors from another country to then deny belonging primarily to the US.  I'm sure this happens, but it is so rare I wonder why the OP even brought it up.

Edited by Luna Bliss

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

I think it's silly because that is precisely the point what you wrote up here ^^^^.  It's up to them for whatever reason and it's harmless to others.  

but your disrespecting their culture!!! omg how dare you do that!! that is so not fair!!! its just so annoying!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

cultural appropriation. there is a big stink about it by several different groups on the internet.

yes that's nonsense. But I didn't get the impression that was the original intent of this thread. 

14 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No one is saying people should discard their heritage.  Since all of us (even the Native Americans!) came here from Somewhere Else, there IS no uniquely "American" culture.  It's ALL imported.  And we should all remember, and be proud of the good parts, of our roots.

But at the same time, as "Americans" we also should adhere to and uphold the ideals that led us, or our ancestors, here.  The idea of freedom, of government of, by, and for the people.  The idea of the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".  The one about "all men are created equal".  The idea of helping our neighbors.  The idea that this is still a "land of opportunity" for those willing to work for it.  The ideals of civic virtue, and civic responsibility.  We have not always lived up to all that, individually or collectively...but that does not make striving to live up to our ideals irrelevant.

A Native American man in Montana has what may be the oldest DNA native to the Americas, according to news reports.

After getting his DNA tested, Darrell "Dusty" Crawford learned that his ancestors were already in the Americas about 17,000 years ago, according to the Great Falls Tribune, a Montana newspaper.

The company Cellular Research Institute (CRI) Genetics traced Crawford's ancestry back 55 generations with 99% accuracy, a rare feat given how convoluted family trees can be. [10 Things We Learned About the First Americans in 2018]

The test also revealed the origins of his Blackfeet ancestors. According to his DNA, Crawford's ancestors are from the Pacific Islands. Then, they journeyed to the South American coast and traveled north, according to a preliminary analysis.

Moreover, CRI Genetics looked at Crawford's mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), genetic material that is passed down through mothers. An analysis showed that Crawford is part of the mtDNA haplotype B2 group, which originated in Arizona about 17,000 years ago, the Great Falls Tribune reported.

This group is one of the four major Native American groups in North America. These groups are traced back to four female ancestors: Ai, Ina, Chie and Sachi. Crawford appears to be a descendant of Ina.

"Today, this Native American line is found only in the Americas, with a strong frequency peak on the eastern coast of North America," CRI Genetics reported

https://www.livescience.com/65437-oldest-dna-north-america.html#:~:text=A Native American man in Montana has what,to the Great Falls Tribune%2C a Montana newspaper.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.