America, we need to talk...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

spelling nazi!!!!!!! :P~~

not you too!!! omg!!!!

You may not compare anything to Nazi's, even hyperbolically.

You may not use Comic Sans as it is not permitted by the internet font police.

If you use 'lol' to indicate laughter you are a defective human being.

lol

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

You may not compare anything to Nazi's, even hyperbolically.

You may not use Comic Sans as it is not permitted by the internet font police.

If you use 'lol' to indicate laughter you are a defective human being.

lol

LOL 

My personal favorite character in Seinfeld was always the Soup Nazi. 

When people ask me where I'm from irl, they're often after my cultural background rather than where I exited my mom's womb. IMO cultural background and heritage can sometimes be a more meaningful answer, and can sometimes tell you more about someone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

that doesn't really matter. that is not needed to celebrate or be proud of your heritage from that part of the world. you dont have to speak the langue fluently or know ever detail of what is going on in that country at the current time, nor do they have to have friends or family currently living there to claim their ancestral heritage from there and be proud enough about it to mention that they are from there too.

It is not needed to be proud of your heritage and that wasn't what the op was saying. What they were saying you shouldn't claim to be that nationality. You are an american whose families came a couple of centuries ago from country x. You are not nationality x and we don't want you telling people you are because they will judge the rest of us that really are from x on your delusions of what x is like I have been lectured about the history and culture  of my country so many times now by people who clearly don't have a clue but claim they are my nationality because usually I don't tell people my nationality right away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

It is not needed to be proud of your heritage and that wasn't what the op was saying. What they were saying you shouldn't claim to be that nationality. You are an american whose families came a couple of centuries ago from country x. You are not nationality x and we don't want you telling people you are because they will judge the rest of us that really are from x on your delusions of what x is like I have been lectured about the history and culture  of my country so many times now by people who clearly don't have a clue but claim they are my nationality because usually I don't tell people my nationality right away.

Doesn't matter what you want or like or don't.  You don't get to tell anyone what they can or cannot call themselves ever. It is not your choice and  never was or will be ever.  So you just need to grow up and get over it and yourself and your opinion. At the end of the day your view or opinion matters 0% to anyone else  but yourself on the topic of what nationality they  choose to claim. Tough if you don't like it either.  You're not their boss so have no say in it at all. No matter how much you might want to think that you do.

This should not be so hard for everyone to understand  but it seems to be for some strange reason...I mean seriously.. some people really need to get over their arrogance about thinking they have the power or right or choice or decision to tell others what  they  can  or cannot be or call themselves...you  don't and never did or will.  Plain and simple... no discussion.. no debate.. no argument. 

Doesn't matter how disrespected you feel at all. That is a you problem and not a them problem. 

37 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Doesn't matter what you want or like or don't.  You don't get to tell anyone what they can or cannot call themselves ever. It is not your choice and  never was or will be ever.  So you just need to grow up and get over it and yourself and your opinion. At the end of the day your view or opinion matters 0% to anyone else  but yourself on the topic of what nationality they  choose to claim. Tough if you don't like it either.  You're not their boss so have no say in it at all. No matter how much you might want to think that you do.

This should not be so hard for everyone to understand  but it seems to be for some strange reason...I mean seriously.. some people really need to get over their arrogance about thinking they have the power or right or choice or decision to tell others what  they  can  or cannot be or call themselves...you  don't and never did or will.  Plain and simple... no discussion.. no debate.. no argument. 

Doesn't matter how disrespected you feel at all. That is a you problem and not a them problem. 

As so let me guess this right

If I claim to be cherokee you will scream cultural appropriation at me because I have little cherokee blood, know nothing of their land or culture

if I object for the same reasons to some idiot with the same amount of blood, and no idea of my land or culture calling themselves my nationality I should shut up?

No really I wont you are wrong, go back to your village they are missing you

Edited by KanryDrago
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

As so let me guess this right

If I claim to be cherokee you will scream cultural appropriation at me because I have little cherokee blood, know nothing of their land or culture

if I object for the same reasons to some idiot with the same amount of blood, and no idea of my land or culture calling themselves my nationality I should shut up?

No really I wont you are wrong, go back to your village they are missing you

The arrogance and ignorance is strong it seems.

For no I would not claim cultural appropriation at all.. it's your choice what you claim  not anyone else ever. 

At least I live in a village.. your cave tribe is missing you. 

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

20 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

The arrogance and ignorance is strong it seems.

For no I would not claim cultural appropriation at all.. it's your choice what you claim  not anyone else ever. 

It is your ignorance saying people can claim to be something they are not and know nothing about and then painting a picture for everyone else. You really are an intellectual pygmy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, KanryDrago said:

It is your ignorance saying people can claim to be something they are not and know nothing about and then painting a picture for everyone else. You really are an intellectual pygmy

Ohh.. looks like I hit a sore spot.. you should really see a doctor about that  before it gets worse. 

Just now, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Ohh.. looks like I hit a sore spot.. you should really see a doctor about that  before it gets worse. 

I get the feeling you are like one of those that claims to be irish american because your great great great grandmother on your sisters side came from Dublin and the genuine Irish call you a plastic paddy . Substitute the correct nationlities.....really you are just an american with no claim

• Haha 3

If your mother or father are norwegian and you know something about the culture speak the language a little, have lived there then no problem. 

If it was well 200 years ago my family come from norway, never been there know nothing about it and dont speak the language but I claim to be norwegian

do you not see why norwegians would have a problem with you trying to claim to be norwegian because you patently are not

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

/me returns to the thread and sighs. 

No Kanry, you should not shut up.  You should feel incredibly complimented, that someone of a different nationality likes your country and perhaps even your own benighted self enough to want to identify with you.  You should gently say 'Thank you, that's a big compliment!"

Before every bigoted troll in the US felt empowered to crawl out from under their rocks and demand that the US isolate itself, that was a scene that you could see regularly played in the US.  Some clerk would ask someone where they were from, just striking up a conversation, and the person would proudly say "I'm an American"!  And maybe they had got their citizenship, or maybe they just liked Michael Jackson [that was the case with my 2nd cousin in Italy, who told me he felt American as we bombed around the deserted countryside around Venice in his convertible], but whatever, the clerk would usually grin and say "great!".  That's what I did when a Turkish taxi driver in NYC shouted it out over the blaring Turk radio station.  Dude had an 'evil eye' charm hanging on the rear view mirror, was wearing one of those big ceremonial Turkish hats and an embroidered vest, but YES,  hell YES, I shouted 'GREAT!' at his assertion that he was American.

So, all you who resent Americans or others trying to strike a bond with you by claiming their heritage, you could choose to welcome the admiration they obviously feel, and smile indulgently at their over-enthusiasm in voicing it.

Or you can get your knickers in a proper twist, as many on this thread do.

Your choice

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

/me returns to the thread and sighs. 

No Kanry, you should not shut up.  You should feel incredibly complimented, that someone of a different nationality likes your country and perhaps even your own benighted self enough to want to identify with you.  You should gently say 'Thank you, that's a big compliment!"

Before every bigoted troll in the US felt empowered to crawl out from under their rocks and demand that the US isolate itself, that was a scene that you could see regularly played in the US.  Some clerk would ask someone where they were from, just striking up a conversation, and the person would proudly say "I'm an American"!  And maybe they had got their citizenship, or maybe they just liked Michael Jackson [that was the case with my 2nd cousin in Italy, who told me he felt American as we bombed around the deserted countryside around Venice in his convertible], but whatever, the clerk would usually grin and say "great!".  That's what I did when a Turkish taxi driver in NYC shouted it out over the blaring Turk radio station.  Dude had an 'evil eye' charm hanging on the rear view mirror, was wearing one of those big ceremonial Turkish hats and an embroidered vest, but YES,  hell YES, I shouted 'GREAT!' at his assertion that he was American.

So, all you who resent Americans or others trying to strike a bond with you by claiming their heritage, you could choose to welcome the admiration they obviously feel, and smile indulgently at their over-enthusiasm in voicing it.

Or you can get your knickers in a proper twist, as many on this thread do.

Your choice

I dont feel terribly complimented when they tell me how my nation is and how my nationality thinks and then others gets the impression of them that I am the same as them. They should be proud of being what they are which is american. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

And for the last few replies, we see another example of the problem with mixing Culture up with Nationality/Citizenship (to say nothing of mixing any of this together with Ancestry).

No what we see is the problem with allowing americans because they are the root cause of all the crap

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

I dont feel terribly complimented when they tell me how my nation is and how my nationality thinks and then others gets the impression of them that I am the same as them. They should be proud of being what they are which is american. 

Lol.  Then maybe tell Nordic writers to stop flooding American bookstores with chiding tomes on how much better life is in Norway, Finland, or anywhere remotely Nordic.  Get used to being a mecca for aspirational tourists, there are many books like this telling everyone in the US who can read that life is better in Nordic lands.

https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Theory-Everything-Search-Better/dp/0062316559/ref=sr_1_1?crid=30K7NXNDV3ZBN&dchild=1&keywords=nordic+theory+of+everything&qid=1595628625&sprefix=nordic+theor+%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-1

Relax.  It isn't so bad having everyone in the world want to be you.  Until fairly recently, that was the case for Americans, and we survived.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

I dont feel terribly complimented when they tell me how my nation is and how my nationality thinks

15 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

No what we see is the problem with allowing americans because they are the root cause of all the crap

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

do you not see why norwegians would have a problem with you trying to claim to be norwegian because you patently are not

Here's another way to look at it: it could be worse.  You could be from New Zealand.

/me sticks her tongue firmly in her cheek and claims: so far as I can tell, 1 out of every 10 Americans are rooting around Ancestry.com, desperately searching for some way to justify applying for citizenship to New Zealand.  Looking for that escape hatch in case Nov 3rd turns out to be a repeat of 2016!

What's that?  You think I'm making fun of the serious concerns voiced in this thread?

Ay-yup.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Not your choice and never was or will be ever.  Tough if you can't understand that simple fact of life. 

You can claim to be any nationality you like i guess but we will always realise you are merely american

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Lol.  Then maybe tell Nordic writers to stop flooding American bookstores with chiding tomes on how much better life is in Norway, Finland, or anywhere remotely Nordic.  Get used to being a mecca for aspirational tourists, there are many books like this telling everyone in the US who can read that life is better in Nordic lands.

https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Theory-Everything-Search-Better/dp/0062316559/ref=sr_1_1?crid=30K7NXNDV3ZBN&dchild=1&keywords=nordic+theory+of+everything&qid=1595628625&sprefix=nordic+theor+%2Caps%2C218&sr=8-1

Relax.  It isn't so bad having everyone in the world want to be you.  Until fairly recently, that was the case for Americans, and we survived.

Norwegian was an example and not my nationality

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.