Is Copybotting a Real Problem?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

Personally I'd be more bothered if threads that can easily be resurrected for still-relevant discussion were locked!

I'd actually go the other way. Lock ALL threads after 6 months.

If someone wants to talk about something in an abandoned thread, a thoughtless drive by bump brings almost nothing of value - Start a new one

An active thread that's still going - will be dozens and dozens of pages long, no ones going to read all that and unless it's game thread, it becomes impenetrable - Start a new one.

Constantly restarting topics gives more people more of a chance to be heard, to meaningfully participate & would make new users more likely to join in with the community rather than the same handful of regulars dominating everything. A forum is a community first, not a collaborative documentation or reference project.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If someone wants to talk about something in an abandoned thread, a thoughtless drive by bump brings almost nothing of value - Start a new one

An active thread that's still going - will be dozens and dozens of pages long, no ones going to read all that and unless it's game thread, it becomes impenetrable - Start a new one.

Constantly restarting topics gives more people more of a chance to be heard, to meaningfully participate & would make new users more likely to join in with the community rather than the same handful of regulars dominating everything. A forum is a community first, not a collaborative documentation or reference project.

It's much better to add a viewpoint to a thread that already contains a wealth of information than it is to endlessly restart a conversation from scratch! For example, this one - we can also see if the opinion about how problematic copybotting is has changed.

Doing it otherwise is like if you were discussing cars, but wanted to discuss the benefits of using wheels for it, even though you could look at what people discussed before and figure it out that way instead.

...but yeah, I know this has always been one of those divisive Internet topics. Perhaps best left for its own thread really - one that we can keep endlessly reviving!

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

ANYTHING digital is copyable.
That's why I design in 3d and turn meshes into > real world physical products. <
That's why the space-age 3d print company I use signed a form stating that they DO NOT
"keep my 3d files in storage for my convenience".

Woe betide them if I see my original stuff anywhere. 🤬😈👉 BOOF! 👊 BANG!💥 KAPOWW!🔫

I know what you've been watching.

176f0e27b6756a6d91f9bef12dd89d5f.jpg

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Typical socialamist cancel something mutter grumble (runs away also check sig thingy)

More seriously it is a reference. A very small one due to the small number who give a toss about these forums but a reference still. Perhaps not very useful but still part of SL heritage.

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

On the one hand if a topic is still relevant it still needs to be discussed. But overall I come down on the same side as you because the biggest flaw of the internet is that people get held to their past opinions and statements too much.

If we were all talking in a cafe about the state of affairs, in the per internet era even if I tried to say "well Coffee, I see that 3.5 years ago you said XYZ, so you opinion today that says ABC is totally invalid and obviously an attempt to derail things" everyone would toss me out the front door, rightly so.

- But that's basically the norm online. To hold people to every last thing they have ever said as if they just said it 3 seconds ago.

"Libtard" that I am, it's something that seriously frustrates me about the manner in which some famous folks get dragged down or tossed off of projects because, back 2002, they posted something stupid on mySpace... as if that person back then was the person they are now...

Folks need to be able to grow and change - and holding up old commentary prevents that. It locks people in time at their worst moments. And it prevents discussion from being able to do the very thing it's meant to do: let people reach a conclusion.

So yeah, lock all threads after X amount of time, maybe even still active threads.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 6

On 6/11/2020 at 9:35 AM, Jennifer Boyle said:

I have heard about copybotting for many years. Recently, I have read about it on these forums as being a problem.

Is it? Does it actually exist? Is it a myth?

I

We tried opensim, as an alternative backup to SL. The place was dripping with copybotted items from SL. We walked out on it never returned.

1 hour ago, rasterscan said:

We tried opensim, as an alternative backup to SL. The place was dripping with copybotted items from SL. We walked out on it never returned.

Well actually, Opensim is not a place but a opensource server software alternative that is compatible with S/L viewers. As such it is used by people for many different grids and places, some of which might have copybot items, and many that do not. Like there is stores on the MP that have botted items and places in S/L itself that likely have it too.

Just thought I should point that out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:53 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

We leant Black Dragon doesn't render people's pants, explaining why to this day @NiranV Deandoesn't wear any - It's a bug in his viewer.

That is not a bug. That's actually a feature.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:55 AM, Finite said:

Awe, I use BD I can see your pants.... If I wanted to...

oof. didnt realize it was a necro...

This on the other hand...

• Haha 2

On 8/2/2021 at 5:53 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

Oh these old threads have sooo much value.

Please, for the love of $deity, can we not auto lock threads after 6 months?

On 8/2/2021 at 12:17 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

That's nice. They don't do that here/agree with your point of view - nor should they.

Deal with it or make your own forum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2021 at 12:01 AM, Arielle Popstar said:

Well actually, Opensim is not a place but a opensource server software alternative that is compatible with S/L viewers. As such it is used by people for many different grids and places, some of which might have copybot items, and many that do not. Like there is stores on the MP that have botted items and places in S/L itself that likely have it too.

Just thought I should point that out.

Sometimes here indeed people talk to general about the OS grids. OS isn't "one"but many. There are "wild west" grids, but also quite decent ones that will actively respond to botted items.
But the ratio botted items on the OS Grids is a lót higher than in SL

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 6:17 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

i won't jump on the barricades for it, but i'd go for a lock after certain times too, and some sections even shorter.

Employee ads.. two weeks ... no bumping anymore, and no replies, handle it inworld.
Land ads, two weeks, no bumping no replies, , if you'r too lazy to renew the ad,  let it poof.
Events...no bumping, no replies,  can poof as soon the date is gone
the real discussion sections 6 months is a long time, but workable :) most threads won't survive and go off topic in the first week.

New section for promotion, get the bloggers out of the Avatar section pic threads, make those only for really showing your avatar, brand promotion should be in a advertisement section.

Rename a few sections.. when it's needed to read the subtitles three times to understand what can be posted in it, ..there's a little wrong with the naming.

• Like 3

On 8/7/2021 at 1:22 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

Sometimes here indeed people talk to general about the OS grids. OS isn't "one"but many. There are "wild west" grids, but also quite decent ones that will actively respond to botted items.
But the ratio botted items on the OS Grids is a lót higher than in SL

That is true but there is a reason for that. To legitimately take copybotted content down, the original creator has to file a DMCA notice and though plenty have been notified of their products in various places, few have actually filed even in the bigger grids. A few years ago one of the commercial grid owners went so far as to track down the creator of a popular body and even filled out the relevant notice of where the content could be found and yet the creator chose not to put signature or mark on it to make it an official DMCA notice. Without that the Grid owners hands were tied and he could not remove the body from circulation.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
TMI!

Personally I was one of those people who didn't think twice about copybotting in SL for the simple fact it was way entirely to easy to get textures and stuff in world with out needing some special viewers to do it. Realistically all those viewers do is skip a few steps and make it easier for the lazy peoples. I used to find it amusing that people would cry about it because if you actually take time to actually sit and learn how to create in the game yourself then you can pretty much replicate anything you see by merely designing it yourself. In some cases you can even do a better job then the original design. lol So me, personally I don't loose no sleep over it. If your that bored, lazy, and untalented that you want to copybot my stuff then go on a head and knock yourself out. lol If I were going to ask anything it'd be the same thing I'd ask if someone used one of the many mods that I created and designs for any of the other games I've ever created in. Just give me credit in the original design. lol It doesn't even register and make a dent in the over all money flow on here so I don't sweat the small stuff mates. lol😎

On 6/12/2020 at 7:17 PM, AdminGirl said:

But yes, I've wondered the same thing - why LL can't do more about it. Copybotting doesn't affect LL's bottom line. Maybe there's a connection.

Basic question: L$ are play dollars with no intrinsic value. Why do people care about them so much? It's not as if we're allowed to sell our proceeds or trade them on the crypto market. That is the fundamental truth of Second Life that made all the times "economic preference" won out over social preference so inexplicable to me these past seventeen years. How is it that everyone was hypnotized into degrading our experience over play money? Why does anyone care about real estate markets or selling anything? It's all without value, Linden Lab made it that way, and so the only purpose left was social, and that's what I did, because that was the only thing worth doing here besides artistic and spiritual pursuits, and yet all anyone seems to think about are L$, which again, are the least valuable asset here. Time and time again, people I knew would compromise our tribe over pecuniary interests for money that had no value, and we still don't get it. Imaginary empires built over valueless play money at real human expense.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

12 hours ago, Chroma Starlight said:

L$ are play dollars with no intrinsic value.

Nothing has 'intrinsic value'. a dollar is worth a dollar because the government says so. A linden dollar is worth 0.4~0.417 of a US penny because that's what the participants in the Tillia exchange will pay for one. (discounting conversion fees and such)

2 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Nothing has 'intrinsic value'. a dollar is worth a dollar because the government says so. A linden dollar is worth 0.4~0.417 of a US penny because that's what the participants in the Tillia exchange will pay for one. (discounting conversion fees and such)

I thought we weren't permitted to exchange L$ with outside exchanges. 

edit: apparently I'm thinking of another service that formerly had ATMs across SL and allowed people with withdraw L$ and exchange them for other currencies, but they had to stop along the way for some reason.  But Tillia replaced that option. But that was just a period of rapid change and people feeling out the boundaries, I suppose.

Well, nevermind my confusion! Still bad at economics.

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Chroma Starlight said:

I thought we weren't permitted to exchange L$ with outside exchanges. 

edit: apparently I'm thinking of another service that formerly had ATMs across SL and allowed people with withdraw L$ and exchange them for other currencies, but they had to stop along the way for some reason.  But Tillia replaced that option. But that was just a period of rapid change and people feeling out the boundaries, I suppose.

Well, nevermind my confusion! Still bad at economics.

Wow. I haven't thought about the ATMs in years. 

It was all done inworld so there wasn't any "banking" to it. 

You can still find ATMs on the MP for personal use.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Global-ATM-Access-your-main-account-L-from-anywhere-in-world-Set-daily-limits/136333

Or you can make your own:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Personal_ATM_Machine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.