getting woke and SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

and if I remember right a friend of Leary's.

yep, they were colleagues.

I haven't taken any drugs since my teenage years, but I'd like to micro-dose mushrooms - I heard it's beneficial for keeping brain ruts from taking over...lol.  Have no idea how to get some mushrooms but saw a website describing how you could grow them. I don't have enough of a desire to go to that much trouble though.

Edited by Luna Bliss

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Or if you consider someone a bit sloshed a criminal.  

The bit sloshed is a concern, imo, in that it could result in excessive force.  If one resists arrest, it doesn't end up in a good way.  But, isn't it possible most of those resisting arrest are on drugs, alcohol or both?  Fear could also be a factor.  The U.S. Police need a different way to talk to and treat people.  I've heard the police in videos say b-word this, b-word that when trying to hand-cuff a black person who did not seem high and did not have a gun either.  

How many social workers have really talked to those who were resisting arrest to find out the reasons why?  

Edited by FairreLilette

27 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

They have to want to quit to quit.. if they don't have the mindset to quit, nothing will work..

That's true.  And in such cases all we can do is try and understand what happened to this person so that they needed to cope via drugs. While it may be too late to help that individual, by knowing the cause and changing society we can make the situation less likely to occur in others.

The way we bring up children as well as societal forces causes some to turn to addiction as a way to cope.  It's an illness.

5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:
18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Or if you consider someone a bit sloshed a criminal.  

The bit sloshed is a concern, imo, in that it could result in excessive force.  If one resists arrest, it doesn't end up in a good way.  But, isn't it possible most of those resisting arrest are on drugs, alcohol or both.

How many social workers have really talk to those who were resisting arrest?  

We need to put limits on what actions police can take when a citizen is resisting arrest. Also, police should be trained to apply different procedures to those who don't appear to have full mental capacity at the time of arrest (people who might be on drugs, mentally ill, or brain damaged).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Can we bring it back to what this debate was really about, which is, if we take away the guns from police who respond to traffic stops and a few more police lose their lives because of it, is this in any way okay?  (even if this would be true, as it is a hypothesis that more police would die without guns in many policing activities).  Is the loss of a few police officers okay if it reduces the far greater number of citizens murdered by cops?   I think this would be good thing, especially since more traffic stops don't involve criminals at all, unless you label someone driving with a burned out tail light a criminal. Or if you consider someone 'walking while Black' a criminal. Or if you consider someone a bit sloshed a criminal.  Or, or, or....

Like I said earlier, our police don't carry guns and we had a one shot dead doing a traffic stop...and it wasn't someone with a burned out tail light.   Put untrained civilians out there doing traffic stops and you think that's going to solve the issue?  

And yes, someone a "bit sloshed" behind the wheel of the car I do consider a criminal.  And so would you if that person then went on to hit and kill other people on the road.

Nine black men died at the hands of the police in 2019.  Forty eight police officers died "felonious deaths".  So do the math!

You are sticking to your script no matter what..and as a result are so far left you are going in circles.  People like you make me sad.  There's no debating with you. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

That's true.  And in such cases all we can do is try and understand what happened to this person so that they needed to cope via drugs. While it may be too late to help that individual, by knowing the cause and changing society we can make the situation less likely to occur in others.

The way we bring up children as well as societal forces causes some to turn to addiction as a way to cope.  It's an illness.

I still believe that rehab reaches some people.. In my eyes sometimes they need to be shown where to look and don't even think they have a problem until they meet others that are on the other side of it all..

I've known people that were sentenced to alcohol classes because of their driving and drinking.. one guy had to do so many hours and it took him like forever and a day with these classes because they could only do like two hours a week..plus he had to do like 20 hours of community service..

He said those classes opened up his eyes.. He stopped drinking like three classes in..

He said the turning point was not just what he learned, but combining that and finding out what he learned then them showing  the movie leaving Las Vegas and the teacher or social worker or whoever it was, explaining the phases as the guy was drinking himself to death.. He said they could have called me cured right then and there..

He actually got into those classes and missed going to them..

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I understand what you are saying, and whilst I do agree that crime rates have dropped, I guess I am failing to see the over funding issue.  Where is this money going?  How is the police force overfunded?  What is going to happen if this funding is cut?  Because all I have been seeing is yahooing (by some) over the police losing funding and responsibilities and that being handed over to people not trained or equipped to deal with these situations and a sharp increase in crimes and violence since this whole situation began.

They pay a detail officer, IE a cop who is directing traffic at a construction zone, double time for an 8 hour shift. They are never rookies doing these shifts, but 15 year veteran cops that get paid well above what a rookie would get. There is no need to pay a crazy amount for this job, they could hire a regular citizen to direct traffic. 

In order to comply with federal guidelines and receive federal funds, local police must have certain weapons and gear. The quiet little city i live in has a freaking armored transport.. AND a freaking tank.. an honest to god tank sits in the garage. They only drag it out for parades but its a real tank and they have ammo for it. I can only guess what situation they would need it for.. 

Beverly Memorial Day activities planned - News - Beverly Citizen ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

They pay a detail officer, IE a cop who is directing traffic at a construction zone, double time for an 8 hour shift. They are never rookies doing these shifts, but 15 year veteran cops that get paid well above what a rookie would get. There is no need to pay a crazy amount for this job, they could hire a regular citizen to direct traffic. 

In order to comply with federal guidelines and receive federal funds, local police must have certain weapons and gear. The quiet little city i live in has a freaking armored transport.. AND a freaking tank.. an honest to god tank sits in the garage. They only drag it out for parades but its a real tank and they have ammo for it. I can only guess what situation they would need it for.. 

hehehe we have stuff like that in our town also.. Ours is tan though.

There is a few armored vehicles in ours, because we have state, county and local police stations..

I guess they call it a county seat.  But yea, we're more than ready for an invasion..hehehehehe

4 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Okay that is insane, and made me laugh.  A tank?  Seriously?  We don't even have them in our military anymore.  At least not that I could find when I googled.

Thank you for your example of funding wastage, and that's insane too.

24 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:
46 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Can we bring it back to what this debate was really about, which is, if we take away the guns from police who respond to traffic stops and a few more police lose their lives because of it, is this in any way okay?  (even if this would be true, as it is a hypothesis that more police would die without guns in many policing activities).  Is the loss of a few police officers okay if it reduces the far greater number of citizens murdered by cops?   I think this would be good thing, especially since more traffic stops don't involve criminals at all, unless you label someone driving with a burned out tail light a criminal. Or if you consider someone 'walking while Black' a criminal. Or if you consider someone a bit sloshed a criminal.  Or, or, or....

Like I said earlier, our police don't carry guns and we had a one shot dead doing a traffic stop...and it wasn't someone with a burned out tail light.   Put untrained civilians out there doing traffic stops and you think that's going to solve the issue?  

And yes, someone a "bit sloshed" behind the wheel of the car I do consider a criminal.  And so would you if that person then went on to hit and kill other people on the road.

Nine black men died at the hands of the police in 2019.  Forty eight police officers died "felonious deaths".  So do the math!

You are sticking to your script no matter what..and as a result are so far left you are going in circles.  People like you make me sad.  There's no debating with you. 

Not untrained civilians -- rather,  police without guns -- more like the community policing in some European countries. Perhaps other agencies could be developed, with training, other than police as well.  Police should be reserved for major criminal activity.

And my description of  'a bit sloshed' said NOTHING about being behind the wheel of a car.  In cities here we see many people walking around on drugs. In fact, George Floyd was on drugs and  was simply sitting against a building when police decided to shove him into a car, and then it escalated from there. Police should be instructed not to use force on people who are high, as they are often paranoid and the end result will never be good.

Again, you make assertions without stats to back it up (regarding comparisons of Black men dying at the hands of police vs officers killed)

Well I could say the same about you -- people like you make me sad. You don't provide stats and facts and use hyperbole as fact when debating.  Indeed, there's no debating with you.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I understand what you are saying, 

Not trying to insult you, but do you though? The concept is simple: If the crime rate is going down, why spend MORE money on police? and that's accounting for inflation.

16 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I guess I am failing to see the over funding issue.  Where is this money going?  How is the police force overfunded?  What is going to happen if this funding is cut?  Because all I have been seeing is yahooing (by some) over the police losing funding and responsibilities and that being handed over to people not trained or equipped to deal with these situations and a sharp increase in crimes and violence since this whole situation began.

The thing about funding is, if you don't spend it. You lose it, so police departments have been spending it on things like APCs (armoured personnel carriers), SWAT teams, etc etc. So again, if the crime rate going down, police aren't solving more crimes...why throw money at something that is not a problem? 

Militarizing the police has long been a problem in the US, people don't respond well to it and its ineffective and this has been known for a long time. So why keep doing it?

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2018/08/21/militarization-police-fails-enhance-safety-may-harm-police-reputation

Maybe it's time for another approach?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

And my description of  'a bit sloshed' said NOTHING about being behind the wheel of a car.  In cities here we see many people walking around on drugs. In fact, George Floyd was on drugs and  was simply sitting against a building when police decided to shove him 

Yes, this.

I was not referring to drunk drivers either.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I know it's believed one can only be helped if they want help.  I believe it as well.  The drug addict or alcoholic has to want to get off those substances for themselves and no one else.  Just themselves.  I think you said you went through 12-step?  I am not a believer in 12-step.  I believe the only person I can not do drugs nor drink for is myself, not a higher power nor anyone else, just me because I'm worth it.  So, I am a bit different.  

However, I haven't out-right said exactly what my thinking is in regards to rehab but I'm thinking more along the lines of enforced rehab.  The rehab facility may be gated and one cannot get out but it would be a far more humane place than jail and offer programs such as occupational therapy and other therapies while in rehab and on Methadone if needed for a while.  

Couple points. Whether one uses God, the universe, Bhudda or even the Higher Self, it has been proven work as it is the 12 actions or steps that is the process leading to someone losing the obsession to drink or drug. The "Higher Power" is in effect a pathway to the unconscious mind which makes recovery a lot easier then the white knuckled sort of sobriety that results for some of those doing it on their own. YMMV. In any case, if you found something that works for you, great! Personally I love the ability to attend what is in effect a long term after care with people who understand me because they are on the same path.

Court ordered rehabilitation programs I would say actually make the typical alcoholic/addict worse because it is just another grudge to hold onto. Besides, some of the jails and penitentiaries have even better drugs then what is out on the street. Some institutionalized prisoners actually commit crimes to be able to go back in for that exact reason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Couple points. Whether one uses God, the universe, Bhudda or even the Higher Self, it has been proven work as it is the 12 actions or steps that is the process leading to someone losing the obsession to drink or drug. The "Higher Power" is in effect a pathway to the unconscious mind which makes recovery a lot easier then the white knuckled sort of sobriety that results for some of those doing it on their own. YMMV. In any case, if you found something that works for you, great! Personally I love the ability to attend what is in effect a long term after care with people who understand me because they are on the same path.

I found I could only do it for myself.  I have addiction in my family history.   No, 12-step program worked me.  I just decided I alone was worth it and began to love my life in sobriety more.   I still love my life in sobriety more.  So, that is why I said to you "I am different".  If 12-step works for some, that's great too.

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Court ordered rehabilitation programs I would say actually make the typical alcoholic/addict worse because it is just another grudge to hold onto. Besides, some of the jails and penitentiaries have even better drugs then what is out on the street. Some institutionalized prisoners actually commit crimes to be able to go back in for that exact reason.

I'm not saying it would be "perfect" but enforced living in a rehab facility sounds more humane to me than jail.

Plus, yes, I've heard rumors, prisoners can get anything they want in jail.  Once out though, it's difficult to establish a job.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Not trying to insult you, but do you though? The concept is simple: If the crime rate is going down, why spend MORE money on police? and that's accounting for inflation.

The thing about funding is, if you don't spend it. You lose it, so police departments have been spending it on things like APCs (armoured personnel carriers), SWAT teams, etc etc. So again, if the crime rate going down, police aren't solving more crimes...why throw money at something that is not a problem? 

Militarizing the police has long been a problem in the US, people don't respond well to it and its ineffective and this has been known for a long time. So why keep doing it?

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2018/08/21/militarization-police-fails-enhance-safety-may-harm-police-reputation

Maybe it's time for another approach?

Yes I do understand what you were saying, and nowhere did I say spend more on the police.  I disagree with defunding them as I see it as taking away roles and services and police on the streets.  I am open to seeing where I am wrong in my perceptions, if I am - that's how dialogues work! 

*edit*  I misread your post.  If crime goes down, maybe so should funding.  But again, it depends on what the money is being spent on.  

Edited by Jordan Whitt

1 minute ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Yes I do understand what you were saying, and nowhere did I say spend more on the police.  I disagree with defunding them as I see it as taking away roles and services and police on the streets.  I am open to seeing where I am wrong in my perceptions, if I am - that's how dialogues work!  

I'm not talking about what you said, I'm talking about what is actually being done. I'm trying to understand why you keep saying, in your country police don't carry firearms, yet you don't understand how another country where the police are receiving military surplus, shouldn't be defunded. 

I provided you with actual data on why they should be defunded and you still believe that? What part of that is an actual dialogue? To me it looks like you dug your heels in and you're sticking to your guns. Which....isn't an actual dialogue.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

AND a freaking tank.. an honest to god tank sits in the garage. They only drag it out for parades but its a real tank and they have ammo for it. I can only guess what situation they would need it for.. 

Probably something that involves serious civil asset forfeiture.

4 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I'm not talking about what you said, I'm talking about what is actually being done. I'm trying to understand why you keep saying, in your country police don't carry firearms, yet you don't understand how another country where the police are receiving military surplus, shouldn't be defunded. 

I provided you with actual data on why they should be defunded and you still believe that? What part of that is an actual dialogue? To me it looks like you dug your heels in and you're sticking to your guns. Which....isn't an actual dialogue.

I'm not understanding it because you are talking about militarising the police and the equipment they are being given.  I am thinking about services (outreach, police in schools) being lost in a defunding.  Maybe I'm not understanding because we seem to be having two different discussions, which is why I have asked questions, because to me defunding = less police, more crime.  If I am wrong, please enlighten me.  If my heels were dug in, would I be willing to listen?

7 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I'm not understanding it because you are talking about militarising the police and the equipment they are being given.  I am thinking about services (outreach, police in schools) being lost in a defunding.  Maybe I'm not understanding because we seem to be having two different discussions, which is why I have asked questions, because to me defunding = less police, more crime.  If I am wrong, please enlighten me.  If my heels were dug in, would I be willing to listen?

The county of Los Angeles as of about a month ago is going allocate 150 million dollars towards programs for people in lieu of more police.  Plus, to have a way for more impartial hearings in the event of brutality, etc.  

It's actually reform that is going on in many states, not defunding, although some states may defund altogether.  I am not up to date on all 50 states.  But, each state will have it's own reform as to how and where it sees it needed or not, etc.  Defunding nor reform are happening at the federal level of the United States, not yet anyhow.  But, states can enact and/or adjust their own laws.  

Edited by FairreLilette

44 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Ahahaha didn't even know M18's still existed.. Cute WW2 relic.

25 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Not untrained civilians -- rather,  police without guns -- more like the community policing in some European countries. Perhaps other agencies could be developed, with training, other than police as well.  Police should be reserved for major criminal activity.

And my description of  'a bit sloshed' said NOTHING about being behind the wheel of a car.  In cities here we see many people walking around on drugs. In fact, George Floyd was on drugs and  was simply sitting against a building when police decided to shove him into a car, and then it escalated from there. Police should be instructed not to use force on people who are high, as they are often paranoid and the end result will never be good.

In countries where the right to bear arms is not a constitutional right, I would agree with you but the more I hear and read of the prevalence of guns in the hands of regular US citizens, I simply cannot in good conciounce agree with that. You don't bring a billy club to a gun fight!

OK, you didn't watch the full video then. They pulled George out of the front seat of his vehicle which is where he parked to go and pass out counterfeit money. It would therefore be likely that he drove there while under the influence as the store clerk reported he was acting strange. It may also be that his medical conditions were a part of the issue as the autopsy mentioned his arteries were 90% clogged and he had an enlarged heart to boot. At 90% one is well within the heart attack range, especially considering he was in the process of committing a felony while under the influence of specific drugs which are known to potentially cause a racing heart condition. In fact if you watch the video carefully, you will note that he actually collapsed at the point he went to the ground. He wasn't pushed. The cop may not have realized that as after all, they aren't trained to be medical personnel. It doesn't excuse the cop but it is worthwhile to understand the background in the right light. Another thing you might not realize if you haven't had the experience is that some the drugs that were in his system can make one explosively powerful if the adrenaline gets triggered. I understand the cops wariness of George as George was a big man who as a former inmate and bouncer must have been a dangerous opponent under the right circumstances. Just because George appeared meek and surrendered doesn't mean he couldn't have turned the tables very quickly.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I'm not saying it would be "perfect" but enforced living in a rehab facility sounds more humane to me than jail.

Perhaps it is different in the USA but in Canada they have made court ordered rehabs illegal. They can be offered as part of the sentence but I believe the prisoner has the right to refuse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.