Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This graphic, which I saw over the road at VVO, distinguishes between the political and the non-political quite well, I think  

Why it can feel hard to talk about racial inequality, and why you should do it anyway.... So, anyway, as i mentioned in a couple of other threads, the company I work for gave us a paid day off in

Racism is defined as: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. You can't change the definition to

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

hat Patrisse Cullors is a member of a marxist cadre, doesn't make the BLM movement marxist.

No, but the issue is Patrisse Cullors in that video was not asked about her personal beliefs or what ideology she personally subscribes to.

The question was basically, and I'm paraphrasing heavily because the guy really minces his words:-

Quote

...one of the critiques that he shared [about Black Lives Matter] ... is that there is a lack of ideological direction ... how do you respond to that particular critique ...

So her response is clearly not just about her personal beliefs in this context because she was asked about the ideological direction of the organization itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

So her response is clearly not just about her personal beliefs in this context because she was asked about the ideological direction of the organization itself.

as Ms Cullors wants/hopes it to be

a thing with movements is that people do what they want, as and when they want, toward achieving change to the singular circumstance

my own experience in participating in movements is that it is a lot like herding cats. The people participating do whatever they want, and those who purport to be the leader and insist on others following their lead, often end up leading a march/protest/crowd of one. Everybody else is marching down different avenues toward the goal

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure whether this should be in the light relief section, probably but

i have been following the conversation about the Washington NFL football team changing its name. Seems the team and fans who support a name change are ok with it being Redsomething

i think they should change the name to Redfurries

will be lots of people turn up to the football games in furry costumes. Which will help all the furries who at the moment only go to places like Comic-con and Second Life. They can go to the football and drink lots of beer and make loud furry noises. And mainstream people will go: wooo! how cool is that! and they will become furries as well !!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Yeah.

Remember. The Reservation System was created by Progressive Liberals to 'care for a childlike primitive race that couldn't manage their own affairs...'

Likewise 'Urban Renewal' created the 'Housing Projects' by taking land away from minorities with Emenent Domain because they were not 'mature enough to manage their own affairs' so putting them in centralized government run housing apartment complexes was done to help 'uplift and provide for' them...

- Two "Liberal Policies" done to "help" minorities...

Meanwhile in the 1890s you had Conservatives like Frank Baum (Author of the Wizard of Oz) writing that 'there will never be peace with savages, now that we have them all under control, we must wipe them out to the last man woman and child so this threat cannot rise again...'

And you had Conservatives in the era of Urban Renewal building up the Prison Industrial Complex to 'contain the threat' of minorities...

 

Basically... enemies on both sides.

 

People of Color don't vote with the liberals because we like them... we vote with them because it's a choice between being coddled or being killed... you go with the lesser enemy...

 

Remember back then, there was a  slow transition with conservative and liberal..I did a little reading on him to see where he stood politically..Baum was a Democratic Populist in the 1890's and before that was Republican in a time when the south was more Democrat conservative.. I didn't really go way in depth or anything, but just tried to get a picture of where he stood..

I understand what you are getting at though..

In my eyes, It doesn't really matter if they were conservative or liberal back then..Most of them seen minority's as more a thing to deal with rather than a someone to deal with.. Both came hard at the west even after all the romantic jabber being said during the civil war.. When politicians get to ranting, I start looking at their other hand to see what they are up to..hehehehe

I voted one time Democrat, that was for Obama..There was in his first two years a democratic control of the house and the senate..

I can't remember anything he did then that helped the inner cities.. If he did,it sure didn't trickle down where it needed to.. I understand he had the whole economy thing going on at the time and that probably eating at him most.. But having the house and the senate..Not all of presidents get that kind of opportunity.

Ever since then it's been independent, because there never is good options to ever choose from on either side..It's a den of thieves and liars and manipulators and they all look down on everyone with that power we give them..Politicians should not be getting rich doing those jobs in congress.

 

I do know this much..My family moved away from a city warzone of constant violence and death, to a place in the mountains where it's quiet and peaceful and we are prospering rather than sitting still or begin killed off at a young age.. There is no more deadly a place in this country than our inner city streets..

I don't believe people are so coddled and safe with the life expectancy so low and people dying trying to get out, so much so that it is a dream come true for those that did get out..

As a mother, I could not imagine my children growing up there and me not going insane with constant worry..

Honestly from my eyes and what they have seen, I cannot find a lessor of the two.. One sends our people off to war to fight for resources just like what happened to this land, with some romantic speech about saving some people across the ocean, while the other sucks the resources from communities in this land leaving in the wake, survival of the fittest, while saying they are on our side.

Both just want control and want everyone where they want them at, in our place doing what they want us doing..

When it comes to a politician, I can only see them as a politicians and everything that comes with that.. Not really just wolf or just a fox, but just a predator first, because a lamb chop is always a lamb chop.

 

 

 

Edited by Ceka Cianci
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

When it comes to a politician, I can only see them as a politicians and everything that comes with that.. Not really just wolf or just a fox, but just a predator first, because a lamb chop is always a lamb chop

Well said.. Theres always an agenda. We have plenty of examples throughout human history and words, ideals look nice on paper but we are talking about politicians here. The rights of the group (put whatever side you like here) will always be more important from the rights of the individual for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

Well said.. Theres always an agenda. We have plenty of examples throughout human history and words, ideals look nice on paper but we are talking about politicians here. The rights of the group (put whatever side you like here) will always be more important from the rights of the individual for them.

Well, I don't want to come off as knocking anyone that does see a lessor of the two and going in either of those directions.. I've walked in my shoes and others have walked in theirs..

I just think experience is a good teacher and lessons can either be learned or repeated.. We all don't have the same teacher, So hearing others experiences gives me good food for thought..

If I ever do feel there is good candidates I'll go in the direction it feels best.. just right now it feels like these parties put who they want up there no matter what it takes to get them up there, rather than the people putting them up there to choose from..

I just feel better in the undecided category I guess.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Well, I don't want to come off as knocking anyone that does see a lessor of the two and going in either of those directions.. I've walked in my shoes and others have walked in theirs..

I just think experience is a good teacher and lessons can either be learned or repeated.. We all don't have the same teacher, So hearing others experiences gives me good food for thought..

If I ever do feel there is good candidates I'll go in the direction it feels best.. just right now it feels like these parties put who they want up there no matter what it takes to get them up there, rather than the people putting them up there to choose from..

I just feel better in the undecided category I guess.

It's normal to do so and millions of people around the world regardless of country think that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mollymews said:

there is a distinct difference between a movement and a cadre. A movement contains people from different political and social persuasions who unite around a singular circumstance to effect changes to that circumstance. When that change is realised then the movement dissipates as people move separately and singularly to the next circumstance

examples of movements: Climate Change, Me Too, BLM, Religious Freedom, Right To Life, etc

cadres on the other hand are people bound to a programme of change to multiple circumstances where the people so bound have a common socio-political philosophy they apply to all circumstances

examples of cadres: Republican Party, Democratic Party, Marxist Party, Green Party, Families Party, Libertarian Party, etc

cadres (trained and organised) do start movements but the nature of movements (because of the ideological diversity beyond the singular circumstance of the people participating) is such that the movements can't be controlled in the same way that cadres can

hat Patrisse Cullors is a member of a marxist cadre, doesn't make the BLM movement marxist. To suggest that it is, shows a misunderstanding of what movements are  

Please don't talk down to me.  I know what those differences are, but the fact remains the founders of the BLM movement are in fact Marxists and the agenda of the movement is Marxism at its core, which a bit of Socialism and Communism for added measure. This will not stand.

The bright side is the branding for BLM automatically gets a negative reaction from most, and this will not change.  There is a lot of questionable practices of this group, namely its fundraising and where the money is going.   They cloak themselves in good but have nefarious founders and ideologies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

Ugh, those Leftist Marxist ideals of equal rights, gender equality, community and justice.

Who needs that, right?

Be flippant if you wish. Marxism is only about control and power, the rest is just fluff.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:
11 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

Ugh, those Leftist Marxist ideals of equal rights, gender equality, community and justice.

Who needs that, right?

Be flippant if you wish. Marxism is only about control and power, the rest is just fluff.

 

when you're accustomed to privilege.jpg

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Please tell me about my so called privilege. You don't know anything about my life.  What about your privilege?

If I walk to the grocery store , cutting through yards as sidewalks aren't in front of all houses, as a White person I have less chance of being thought a criminal and so would be less likely to experience all the repercussions of walking while Black (being shot, death, going to jail).

This is a privilege Blacks don't enjoy, but as a White person I do have this privilege.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If I walk to the grocery store , cutting through yards as sidewalks aren't in front of all houses, as a White person I have less chance of being thought a criminal and so would be less likely to experience all the repercussions of walking while Black (being shot, death, going to jail).

This is a privilege Blacks don't enjoy, but as a White person I do have this privilege.

Have you actually tested this theory to see if it holds water? Please do that and report back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Please tell me about my so called privilege. You don't know anything about my life.  What about your privilege?

As a White girl in school I was more likely expected to succeed when compared to a Black girl, and given more assistance. This affected my future performance in school and my success later in life.  This is a privilege I experienced, which is ongoing in later adult life, that many Blacks did/do not receive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Please tell me about my so called privilege. You don't know anything about my life.  What about your privilege?

As a White person, I am more likely given appropriate pain medication.  I don't like to be in pain so this is certainly an advantage.

Tests have shown that a high percentage of doctors more often evaluate Blacks as needing less pain medication for the same medical conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

As a White girl in school I was more likely expected to succeed when compared to a Black girl, and given more assistance. This affected my future performance in school and my success later in life.  This is a privilege I experienced, which is ongoing in later adult life, that many Blacks did/do not receive.

So in essence you're telling me that nothing in your life you''ve gotten on your own merit, but rather your skin color? That's what I am getting from this statement.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

As a White person, I am more likely given appropriate pain medication.  I don't like to be in pain so this is certainly an advantage.

Tests have shown that a high percentage of doctors more often evaluate Blacks as needing less pain medication for the same medical conditions.

Sources for this claim would be appreciated. We can all say anything on the internet .

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:
36 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

As a White girl in school I was more likely expected to succeed when compared to a Black girl, and given more assistance. This affected my future performance in school and my success later in life.  This is a privilege I experienced, which is ongoing in later adult life, that many Blacks did/do not receive.

So in essence you're telling me that nothing in your life you''ve gotten on your own merit, but rather your skin color? That's what I am getting from this statement.

No, I'm not saying that at all.  I'm only saying that I enjoyed advantages/privileges that many Blacks might not have experienced if we compare this identical experience (young children in school).  I had a high IQ and chose to work instead of look out the window, but when a child does not receive encouragement from significant others it has been proven that they are less likely to succeed in life.

 

 

Edited by Luna Bliss
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:
12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

As a White person, I am more likely given appropriate pain medication.  I don't like to be in pain so this is certainly an advantage.

Tests have shown that a high percentage of doctors more often evaluate Blacks as needing less pain medication for the same medical conditions.

Sources for this claim would be appreciated. We can all say anything on the internet .

This is the 3rd thread discussing these matters, and sources have been provided numerous times for many claims, so you can read sources there or look up the issue on Google.  I'm not in the mood to track this one down again. But Whites had a lot of strange perceptions of Blacks starting in slave times -- it was kind of an obsession to categorize how Blacks were different than Whites, and  these 'findings' were then frequently used as an excuse to justify superiority and slavery. A few of those perceptions regarding medical differences persist to this day, though fortunately few of the most bizarre ones did.

I think I can easily find a TED talk though, where a woman describes how her husband almost died because the doctors were fixated on testing him for AIDS (thought of as more likely causing his problems since he was Black) instead of testing him for other possible causes of his illness.  She finally intervened and said "I want you to test him for White people's diseases too!", and he was found to have lymphoma.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Along with the medical experience which nearly killed her husband she cites the experience of a girl in school -- I believe the girl was told she shouldn't go on to higher learning if I remember correctly, yet the girl managed to anyway and was highly successful:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:
51 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If I walk to the grocery store , cutting through yards as sidewalks aren't in front of all houses, as a White person I have less chance of being thought a criminal and so would be less likely to experience all the repercussions of walking while Black (being shot, death, going to jail).

This is a privilege Blacks don't enjoy, but as a White person I do have this privilege.

Have you actually tested this theory to see if it holds water? Please do that and report back.

There are numerous tests which demonstrate Blacks are more often viewed as criminal when compared to Whites. So a Black person walking down a street would be unfairly targeted compared to Whites, on average.

Edited by Luna Bliss
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

There are numerous tests which demonstrate Blacks are more often viewed as criminal when compared to Whites. So a Black person walking down a street would be unfairly targeted compared to Whites, on average.

I shared I know a Black man personally who told me what happened to him when he was out walking at night looking for his keys and was hassled by the police.  Without his keys to get in his car he couldn't get away very quickly and the police were following him around as a suspected drug dealer.  The irony of this whole story is that he is a professional drug counselor, a person who helps people get off of drugs.  I wonder how many people in this thread believe if it were a white man walking around at night who had lost his keys that the white man would have been regarded a drug dealer, too?  I'd say, in regards to it being a white man, I doubt the police would have hassled the white man.  

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

as a White person, I am more likely given appropriate pain medication.  I don't like to be in pain so this is certainly an advantage.

Tests have shown that a high percentage of doctors more often evaluate Blacks as needing less pain medication for the same medical conditions.

As far as this, there is the opposite as well which was a prevalent thought of the WASP culture society and especially of white women that they are of 'delicate conditioning'.   Blacks and other people of color are not seen as those of delicate conditioning.   This "thought" of the white delicacy helped fuel slavery also in that it was thought a necessity for the delicate white people's survival.  I think you can find this stereotype of the "delicate white women" in the movie "A Streetcar Named Desire".   Another irony from the movie "A Streetcar Named Desire" is the lead female role's name is Blanche.  I believe blanche means white.  

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to post
Share on other sites

Marxists killed intellectuals, doctors, teachers, religious people of any faith. They burned all books, schools, libraries and hospitals. Not ideals but real actual behavior. I know a coworker who still remembers going fishing as a child, to live not for recreation, and saw bodies floating by from mass killing by the communists. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I shared I know a Black man personally who told me what happened to him when he was out walking at night looking for his keys and was hassled by the police.  Without his keys to get in his car he couldn't get away very quickly and the police were following him around as a suspected drug dealer.  The irony of this whole story is that he is a professional drug counselor, a person who helps people get off of drugs.  I wonder how many people in this thread believe if it were a white man walking around at night who had lost his keys that the white man would have been regarded a drug dealer, too?  I'd say, in regards to it being a white man, I doubt the police would have hassled the white man.  

As far as this, there is the opposite as well which was a prevalent thought of the WASP culture society and especially of white women that they are of 'delicate conditioning'.   Blacks and other people of color are not seen as those of delicate conditioning.   This "thought" of the white delicacy helped fuel slavery also in that it was thought a necessity for the delicate white people's survival.  I think you can find this stereotype of the "delicate white women" in the movie "A Streetcar Named Desire".   Another irony from the movie "A Streetcar Named Desire" is the lead female role's name is Blanche.  I believe blanche means white.  

Great story. If only others believed these experiences Black people tell us so easily. Instead, we too often hear a response like "well, he was wearing a hoodie and so looked dangerous", or "he shouldn't have been out late at night in the neighborhood", blah blah blah on and on.....they'll believe anything except the reality that he was most likely hassled by the police because he was seen as criminal due to the color of his skin.

That stereotype of the "delicate white woman".....a demeaning stereotype used to oppress white women as it assumes they need men to take care of them in ways they don't need PLUS it's used to keep Black women as workhorses in house and field because they are not like white woman and 'super strong'...  lol -- a double-duty stereotype!    This article gives some insight as to how the stereotype developed  in the time period before the Civil War:

 Home Sweet Home: Gender in the Antebellum household:   https://cwnc.omeka.chass.ncsu.edu/exhibits/show/protect/1/call

"The Confederate cause capitalized on gender ideology to call soldiers to war. Historian Robert Westbrook argues that white women became “objects of obligation” in the Confederate call to the war. [1] More than slavery or states' rights, white men went to war to protect white women. As one North Carolina colonel stated, “So long as we have such wives, mothers and sister to fight for so long will this struggle continue until finally our freedom will be acknowledged.” [2] White women soon became the center of the call to war.  McCurry argues that protection of white women has two parts: spatial and sexual. Spatial protection included home and hearth, and sexual protection included purity and chastity. The Cause called upon white men to protect white women through military service."

I like the poem by Sojourner Truth which addresses some of the issues related to the 'delicate white woman' during that time period"

         AIN'T I A WOMAN?

              by Sojourner Truth


                  Delivered 1851 at the Women's Convention in Akron, Ohio

 

Well, children, where there is so much racket there must be something out of kilter. I think that 'twixt the negroes of the South and the women at the North, all talking about rights, the white men will be in a fix pretty soon. But what's all this here talking about?

That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?

Then they talk about this thing in the head; what's this they call it? That's it, honey. What's that got to do with women's rights or negroes' rights? If my cup won't hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full?

Then that little man in black there, he says women can't have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.

If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back , and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them.

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner ain't got nothing more to say.

 

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...