getting woke and SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This children's book looks great with it's emphasis on the detailed lives of real life activists kids can identify with (sorry, doting grandma here  :):

Kid Activists: True Tales of Childhood from Champions of Change (Kid Legends)

Moving, relatable, and totally true childhood biographies of Martin Luther King Jr., Susan B. Anthony, Helen Keller, Malala Yousafzai, and 12 other inspiring activists.

Every activist started out as a kid—and in some cases they were kids when their activism began! But even the world’s greatest champions of civil liberties had relatable interests and problems--often in the middle of extraordinary circumstances. Martin Luther King, Jr. loved fashion, and argued with his dad about whether or not dancing was a sin. Harvey Milk had a passion for listening to opera music in different languages. Dolores Huerta was once wrongly accused of plagiarizing in school.  Kid Activists tells these childhood stories and more through kid-friendly texts and full-color cartoon illustrations on nearly every page. The diverse and inclusive group encompasses Susan B. AnthonyJames BaldwinRuby BridgesFrederick DouglassAlexander HamiltonDolores HuertaHelen KellerMartin Luther King Jr.Nelson MandelaIqbal MasihHarvey MilkJanet MockRosa ParksAutumn PeltierEmma Watson, and Malala Yousafzai.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1683691415/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_.3MaFb7ME9VP1

4 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Having whatever ideology  doesn't mean you have no respect for human life, same way it doesn't make you more of a human then others, for example i am totally against drugs, i consider them to disrupt the integrity of a person and had some friends who used to do drugs but i wouldn't disrespect them for that. It is their life so their choice BUT i wouldn't allow any kind of drugs even pot in my house and they also respect that. Most people hide behind ideologies their true self

I think the whole prison system needs to be over-hauled.  First, abolish this law in the 13 Amendment that says someone is a slave if they commit a crime.  Next, we need a type of enclosed (fenced) rehab center instead of prison as it sounds more humane to me than jail.  At least 90% of crimes are drug-related if not more and somebody (maybe our government) need to wake up to that fact.  

Next, the government needs to get rid of these drugs and provide adequate jobs, education, health care and housing.   And, if they can't do that - provide jobs for one and for all, we need UBI.  

We need a whole social worker team of trained to professionals to get this country humane and to work towards rehabilitating people safely out of the prison system as prior to marijuana being legal in states, 48% of people who were in prison were in prison on marijuana-related charges.  48%!   But, once you have a prison record, it's very difficult to get a job.  

And, btw, I don't believe the United States is so inept it cannot get rid of these other illegal drugs.  If they can't get rid of the illegal drugs (I don't include pot here), then somebody tell me why not?  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I think the whole prison system needs to be over-hauled.  First, abolish this law in the 13 Amendment that says someone is a slave if they commit a crime.  Next, we need a type of enclosed (fenced) rehab center instead of prison as it sounds more humane to me than jail.  At least 90% of crimes are drug-related if not more and somebody (maybe our government) need to wake up to that fact.  

Next, the government needs to get rid of these drugs and provide adequate jobs, education, health care and housing.   And, if they can't do that - provide jobs for one and for all, we need UBI.  

We need a whole social worker team of trained to professionals to get this country humane and to work towards rehabilitating people safely out of the prison system as prior to marijuana being legal in states, 48% of people who were in prison were in prison on marijuana-related charges.  48%!   But, once you have a prison record, it's very difficult to get a job.  

And, btw, I don't believe the United States is so inept it cannot get rid of these other illegal drugs.  If they can't get rid of the illegal drugs (I don't include pot here), then somebody tell me why not?  

You say 48 percent on marijuana charges, what does that mean exactly? People caught with just possession of a small amount should not be in prison or even jail, I agree. However, people caught with significant amounts and are charged with trafficking or distribution, yeah those folks need to be behind bars for a long time. It would be nice to know which percentages you quoted are for which offense-more for minor possession or more for trafficking/distribution- I would wager its the latter.

We differ on the government's role. It is not the government's role to provide someone with everything for their life. I absolutely do not agree with that.

And something for thought. Yes certain policing tactics need to change, I do not disagree with that at all. If the crime rate has truly fallen since the 90s then this tells me that stringent policing DOES WORK, no? I understand that statement will make some angry, but again I do not defend wrong doing by police against anyone, that needs to change and they should be held accountable.

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Picture a bucket of water, top to bottom full of holes and you only have a hand full of corks to stop the leaks..

They have submarines, boats, drones, planes, mules, tunnels, and many other ways to get them into the country..That's just  the southern border, because they come in from the northern border as well.. Which if you haven't seen the northern border..It looks like someone mowed the lawn in between the U.S and Canada to show the border..

the-entire-length-of-the-us-canada-borde

_92386654_gettyimages-57169787.jpg

We were up there one time and on a lake that had the border going through it..We were in Canada but could cross over back and forth all day long and not a soul was around to say anything..

Let alone you have people that make drugs here..Then there is the prescription type drugs that people sell..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

57 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

It is not the government's role to provide someone with everything for their life. I absolutely do not agree with that.

Thanks for your honest opinion about everything.  As far as providing UBI for those that don't have a job, I do feel it's necessary BUT they can be on a waiting list for a job.  If the job doesn't happen or falls through, there is still a basic decent amount of money that they can live on but it should also be provided in that they stay clean and attend regular programs while on UBI.  

The prison system is archaic and especially the law that says someone who commits a crime is a slave, this absolutely should not be tolerated in any country.  Some people are mentally or emotionally ill and that is the reason they take drugs as well as it's a disease.  It's a mysterious disease but it's still a disease.   

57 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

You say 48 percent on marijuana charges, what does that mean exactly? People caught with just possession of a small amount should not be in prison or even jail, I agree

Most states have some kind of state legalized marijuana now but I am not sure exactly what all the laws are for all 50 states, so I really should speak only about California.  Marijuana is legalized here now; however, if you want to be a grower you have to be licensed.  

The 48% of people in prisons at the time BEFORE some of marijuana was legalized, it was a long time ago I read it...but I still believe it was the truth.  As far as how many may have been dealers or those just in possession of [some], I am not sure.  You could probably Google to find out some information on it.  There may be prison stats to find even.  

EDIT:  I remember more about the articles, it said 48% of people in prison were in prison because of non-violent marijuana charges.  

Edited by FairreLilette

37 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Picture a bucket of water, top to bottom full of holes and you only have a hand full of corks to stop the leaks..

They have submarines, boats, drones, planes, mules, tunnels, and many other ways to get them into the country..That's just  the southern border, because they come in from the northern border as well.. Which if you haven't seen the northern border..It looks like someone mowed the lawn in between the U.S and Canada to show the border..

the-entire-length-of-the-us-canada-borde

_92386654_gettyimages-57169787.jpg

We were up there one time and on a lake that had the border going through it..We were in Canada but could cross over back and forth all day long and not a soul was around to say anything..

Let alone you have people that make drugs here..Then there is the prescription type drugs that people sell..

Oh my gah.  Drones?  I've heard of the tunnels.  Then we need to find all the tunnels and hire more corks to catch the drones and find the tunnels.

This is a disease and 90% of people are in prison because they took one of these drugs we can't get rid of, but the prison system is archaic and inhumane as it is.  People should not be put in cages.  And, then their whole life may as well be ruined - can't get a job, eventually loose all your personal relationships not just with a significant other but perhaps even your parents or your kids.  Something needs to change but I believe it's going to take those who are professionally trained in the social work areas to figure it all out as well as ways to get rid of the drugs.  Perhaps once people are out of prison, let's say living on UBI, then the buildings need to be under surveillance to make sure no drugs are getting in to where the people are living and that no one in a UBI building is using.  They might loose a bit of a right to privacy but it's a better life than prison or out of prison with no job and/or considered un-hireable because of a prison record.   Also, once a person finally does stay sober and gets a job, perhaps give some incentives to keep that job.    

55 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

The prison system is archaic and especially the law that says someone who commits a crime is a slave, this absolutely should not be tolerated in any country.  Some people are mentally or emotionally ill and that is the reason they take drugs as well as it's a disease.  It's a mysterious disease but it's still a disease.   

You are really hung up on the whole prison slavery thing.. Prisoners in the US are not slaves. They are not forced to do work. They are not beaten daily ny the guards, their families are not raped or sold. Stop comparing them. 

56 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Most states have some kind of state legalized marijuana now but I am not sure exactly what all the laws are for all 50 states, so I really should speak only about California.  Marijuana is legalized here now; however, if you want to be a grower you have to be licensed.  

The 48% of people in prisons at the time BEFORE some of marijuana was legalized, it was a long time ago I read it...but I still believe it was the truth.  As far as how many may have been dealers or those just in possession of [some], I am not sure.  You could probably Google to find out some information on it.  There may be prison stats to find even.  

11 states have legalized pot.. Mind you, it is still illegal federally. AFAIK federal law trumps state laws. 

21 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

People should not be put in cages.  

What do you suggest we do with violent criminals? Drug dealers? Rapists? Just put them in therapy? 

10 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

What do you suggest we do with violent criminals? Drug dealers? Rapists? Just put them in therapy? 

I edited my other post because I remembered BEFORE marijuana was legalized in some states or let me say California, the stats said 48% of people currently in prison were in prison for NON-VIOLENT marijuana charges.  What the breakdown of all this is, I don't know.  But, I'd say, yes social workers need to talk to people to find out what exactly is going on.  

As far as violent crimes, it's also in the stats 90% or more of those were committed while intoxicated on either illegal drugs/alcohol or both.  

How many people do you really believe are violent or have violent tendencies?  I'd say that it's a fairly small amount of people if they are sober.  

14 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You are really hung up on the whole prison slavery thing.. Prisoners in the US are not slaves. They are not forced to do work. They are not beaten daily ny the guards, their families are not r-word or sold. Stop comparing them. 

As far as this above, I have every right to believe what I believe regarding this law of someone who commits a crime is a slave and I will not change my mind about it.  Stop telling others what to do or believe, thank you.  

23 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:
1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

You are really hung up on the whole prison slavery thing.. Prisoners in the US are not slaves. They are not forced to do work. They are not beaten daily ny the guards, their families are not raped or sold. Stop comparing them. 

Here's a little more information, Drake (see, I finally spelled your name right)    :)

"The year the Civil War ended, the U.S. amended the Constitution to prohibit slavery and involuntary servitude. But it purposefully left in one big loophole for people convicted of crimes.

The 13th Amendment, ratified in 1865, says: “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.” Scholars, activists and prisoners have linked that exception clause to the rise of a prison system that incarcerates Black people at more than five times the rate of white people, and profits off of their unpaid or underpaid labor."

https://www.history.com/news/13th-amendment-slavery-loophole-jim-crow-prisons

~~~~~~~~~

And...the definition of slavery:

"Slavery is any system in which principles of property law are applied to people, allowing individuals to own, buy and sell other individuals, as a de jure form of property.[1] An enslaved person is unable to withdraw unilaterally from such an arrangement and works without remuneration. Many scholars now use the term chattel slavery to refer to this specific sense of legalized, de jure slavery. In a broader sense, however, the word slavery may also refer to any situation in which an individual is de facto forced to work against their own will. Scholars also use the more generic terms such as unfree labour or forced labour to refer to such situations.[2] However, and especially under slavery in broader senses of the word, slaves may have some rights and protections according to laws or customs."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Here's a little more information, Drake (see, I finally spelled your name right)    :)

"The year the Civil War ended, the U.S. amended the Constitution to prohibit slavery and involuntary servitude. But it purposefully left in one big loophole for people convicted of crimes.

The 13th Amendment, ratified in 1865, says: “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.” Scholars, activists and prisoners have linked that exception clause to the rise of a prison system that incarcerates Black people at more than five times the rate of white people, and profits off of their unpaid or underpaid labor."

https://www.history.com/news/13th-amendment-slavery-loophole-jim-crow-prisons

~~~~~~~~~

And...the definition of slavery:

"Slavery is any system in which principles of property law are applied to people, allowing individuals to own, buy and sell other individuals, as a de jure form of property.[1] An enslaved person is unable to withdraw unilaterally from such an arrangement and works without remuneration. Many scholars now use the term chattel slavery to refer to this specific sense of legalized, de jure slavery. In a broader sense, however, the word slavery may also refer to any situation in which an individual is de facto forced to work against their own will. Scholars also use the more generic terms such as unfree labour or forced labour to refer to such situations.[2] However, and especially under slavery in broader senses of the word, slaves may have some rights and protections according to laws or customs."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

Prisoners are not forced to work. They are paid for any work they do. Keep in mind they are fed better than any low income citizen, get a bed, heat and AC in some prisons, access to exercise equipment, books and online classes to further their education, all this on our dime. But hey, they must be slaves, right? If i was black i would be fuming at FairreLilette for her constant comparison of the two. You choose to break the law and go to prison. Pretty sure no one CHOSE to become a slave. 

ETA thanks for getting my name right :)

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire

8 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Prisoners are not forced to work. They are paid for any work they do. Keep in mind they are fed better than any low income citizen, get a bed, heat and AC in some prisons, access to exercise equipment, books and online classes to further their education, all this on our dime. But hey, they must be slaves, right? If i was black i would be fuming at FairreLilette for her constant comparison of the two. You choose to break the law and go to prison. Pretty sure no one CHOSE to become a slave. 

But they are forced to work in some cases -- examples of this were already provided. And when paid the amount is ridiculously low.

I do understand your reluctance to make what could be hyperbolic comparisons, as they can sometimes demean those who experienced a much more difficult situation. But there are many similarities between prisoners and slaves which such comparisons point to, and many well-respected scholars refer to the prison industrial complex that confines Blacks at higher rates (often unfairly, as they are judged more severely due to bias) as a "modern day form of slavery".

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You choose to break the law and go to prison. 

Not all people "choose" this.  The drugs and alcoholism did though.  

I feel you are blind.  

May I ask that you please not quote me at all.  Please?  Thank you, I'd appreciate it.  

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

as they can sometimes demean those who experienced a much more difficult situation. But there are many similarities between prisoners 

It is demeaning to be a slave in prison.  

There is a kind of crazy lady who walks around my building saying "I'd rather be in prison and be somebodies b-word (aka a sex slave if you know the word I mean, it's five letters and starts with a b b****) than live in this dump".  Exact quote too.  She said she went to prison for drunk driving and driving with a suspended license.  She is a neighborhood alcoholic whose sister-in-law takes care of her since her husband died.   She needs help but it's not prison.  

EDIT:  And, furthermore, she needs to be in rehab and to start dealing with her husband's death.  She DOES NOT need prison.  She needs help.  

Edited by FairreLilette

25 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

There is a kind of crazy lady who walks around my building saying "I'd rather be in prison and be somebodies b-word (aka a sex slave if you know the word I mean, it's five letters and starts with a b b****) than live in this dump".

Perhaps she's just being hyperbolic?

6 hours ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Fascism, really? That is absolutely absurd, and it always sounds absurd no matter who I hear it from about the U.S.  A large tenant of fascism is forcible suppression of opposing views. 

In the U.S. we are free to criticize our government without retribution, we can express our opinions , so no we are not 'heading' toward fascism. The problem in my opinion are those who want single party rule without opposition. That is a very dangerous space that should be avoided .

Fascism is caused by separating populations into 'us vs them', by demonizing certain groups. This demonization is the root cause, and the taking away of rights and free speech can be the result.  I see our country of late as become very polarized and demonizing 'other' (to be fair, being done on both sides). But what concerns me most is the encouragement of the hatred of 'other' from higher positions of government, and this is what causes me to acknowledge this fundamental tenant of fascism which I see increasing in the US, and fear the slippery slope which leads to its full expression.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Perhaps she's just being hyperbolic?

No, she's been drunk and out of control.  She hates life because her husband died.  She sometimes says the statement I quoted above and then says "anything is better than this" or "anything is better than life without my husband".  I wasn't going to bring her into it because her and I talk as friends but Drake has brought it up twice now that prisoners aren't slaves.   

Her statement still says "I'd rather be in prison and be somebody's b-word".  That is demeaning and means it exists, and she has told me she has been in prison for drunk driver and driver with a suspended license.  She hates life.  She hates living without her husband.  She is depressed and alcohol is a depressant.  She just keeps making herself more depressed.   And, it's rough for us to be so helpless.

But, this disease can be beat.  I have beaten it for a long time now, I lost count.  But, one women in my building is 39 years sober and another lady I just met recently in my neighborhood is 50 years sober.  It is possible to live a long time in sobriety.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Context: Mayor London Breed is an African American San Francisco native who grew up in the projects and worked her way up with 2 degrees from the prestigious U.C. system. She became Mayor after the prior Mayor Ed Lee died in office (brain annurism I believe), was quickly replaced by the city council, but then elected back in by the public.

I believe she's the City's second African American Mayor. Willie Brown, an icon of California politics, was the first in the 1990s.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/London-Breed-white-progressives-police-reform-15417819.php

Breed stated that while she's happy more white Americans are now supportive of the Black Lives Matter movement — recent polling shows upwards of 60% of white Americans support the protests and calls for police reform — she has "a real problem with the takeover of the movement by white people."

"I want people to respect the opinions and feelings of Black people and allow us to decide what is in our best interest," Breed told Vogue. "I talk about the plan to reduce the police budget and reallocate those resources to the African American community, and a large number of non-Blacks reached out to tell me what I should do for the Black community. Then, they say what their community deserves because of their challenges as well. That really bothered me. The Black community [of San Francisco] is capable of speaking for ourselves and deciding what’s in our best interest."

Polling from the Pew Research Center has shown that just 22% of African-Americans want police funding "decreased a lot," with the overwhelming majority favoring small decreases, no change, or even increases. Breed's proposal to reallocate some funding was met with pushback from some white progressives who accused her of not going far enough. This prompted protests at Breed's home, protests she was not happy about.

"The people who came out to my home last time, they were all white and wearing masks and walking with these 'firework sticks' down the street chanting 'Black Lives Matter!'" she said. "But then they get to my house and start shooting these fireworks off and aiming them at my window and banging on the gate and calling me names to come outside. It was like, what? In the projects, when you come to somebody’s house, you are coming to get your butt beat. Because I will come out and throw some grits on you if you don’t back up!"

Breed went on to accuse white progressives of projecting beliefs onto African-Americans, and stated that many "progressive policies" historically backed by whites in San Francisco have not worked for the city's Black residents.

"What’s happening in San Francisco now, and has for so many years, is you have a progressive movement made up of people who are mostly white and feel that they know what’s in the best interest of Black people," she said. "I’m over that ... half the policies pushed in San Francisco are 'progressive policies' that don’t work for Black people. Because, if they did, why are things far worse for Black people here? In San Francisco, a city where less than 5 to 6% of the population is African American and yet we are disproportionately overrepresented in everything that’s bad: high school dropouts, arrests, homelessness. You name it."

Being 'Woke' is NOT the same as being Progressive or even Liberal. Historically the two division of white politics have approached people of color in two different but both hostile manners:

Liberal: We know what is best for you and will do it to you under our guidance and control. We view you as children that must be cared for, protected, coddled.

Conservative: We will use you as slaves or kill you. We view you as a threat that must be contained, limited, controlled, neutralized.

- While Liberals are the better pill, it's still not a friendly choice.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

EDIT:  And, furthermore, she needs to be in rehab and to start dealing with her husband's death.  She DOES NOT need prison.  She needs help.  

There are grief support groups out there that can be very helpful and non-threatening for newly bereaved people. Perhaps suggesting such an avenue to her might be of help. Once she tones down on that and seeing the benefits, she might be open to going further.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

... then they get to my house and start shooting these fireworks off and aiming them at my window and banging on the gate and calling me names to come outside. It was like, what?..

great.. you got racists on one side and patronizing idiots on the other.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Context: Mayor London Breed is an African American San Francisco native who grew up in the projects and worked her way up with 2 degrees from the prestigious U.C. system. She became Mayor after the prior Mayor Ed Lee died in office (brain annurism I believe), was quickly replaced by the city council, but then elected back in by the public.

I believe she's the City's second African American Mayor. Willie Brown, an icon of California politics, was the first in the 1990s.

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/London-Breed-white-progressives-police-reform-15417819.php

Being 'Woke' is NOT the same as being Progressive or even Liberal. Historically the two division of white politics have approached people of color in two different but both hostile manners:

Liberal: We know what is best for you and will do it to you under our guidance and control

Conservative: We will use you as slaves or kill you

- While Liberals are the better pill, it's still not a friendly choice.

I like her..

I was saying it in either this thread or the last one, why are white people in there looting  as well as out front leading in some of these marches with only a few blacks in some of  the marches?

First thing I thought of was Malcolm X talking about the Fox and the Wolf having the same appetite.. Wanna help, help, but don't start taking the lead..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Fascism is caused by separating populations into 'us vs them', by demonizing certain groups. This demonization is the root cause, and the taking away of rights and free speech can be the result.  I see our country of late as become very polarized and demonizing 'other' (to be fair, being done on both sides). But what concerns me most is the encouragement of the hatred of 'other' from higher positions of government, and this is what causes me to acknowledge this fundamental tenant of fascism which I see increasing in the US, and fear the slippery slope which leads to its full expression.

To be fair its largely from the New Left.  Lets at least be honest about it.

21 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I like her..

I was saying it in either this thread or the last one, why are white people in there looting  as well as out front leading in some of these marches with only a few blacks in some of  the marches?

First thing I thought of was Malcolm X talking about the Fox and the Wolf having the same appetite.. Wanna help, help, but don't start taking the lead..

I don't think there is much doubt that there is a bunch of white ones out there who support BLM simply for the Marxist agenda and are rah rah for where they hope these protests will lead. They are more interested in the state of anarchy so as to piggyback the movement to a state where everyone is a minority and a slave to the state. To that sort, it is immaterial whether PoC is pulled up to a state of equality or everyone else gets pulled down to bring about the same thing.

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I don't think there is much doubt that there is a bunch of white ones out there who support BLM simply for the Marxist agenda and are rah rah for where they hope these protests will lead. They are more interested in the state of anarchy so as to piggyback the movement to a state where everyone is a minority and a slave to the state. To that sort, it is immaterial whether PoC is pulled up to a state of equality or everyone else gets pulled down to bring about the same thing.

I think it's great when people want to be a help..I just get leery of when they start moving to the drivers seat..

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.