getting woke and SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1379 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

59 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This country is going down (and I'm sure many who don't live in America will be thinking, going down, Luna, going?)

Hmm. Now that pretty much explains why Linden Labs is being sold and both

SpaceX and Boeing work for NASA.They think of moving U.S.A to Mars. Interesting.

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Trump is an idiot -- a racist who incites hatred of POC

I don't follow his tweets.  I read a few on SL forums but otherwise I don't follow them and never have as I think he incites trouble and is polemic.  

But, what I'm trying to say is that aside from what Trump may or may not tweet, we have the power at the local level to affect changes.

Don't you think the City of Los Angeles has done just that...affected a change...regardless of what Trump may or may not tweet?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

SpaceX and Boeing work for NASA.They think of moving U.S.A to Mars. Interesting.

NASA is a customer of SpaceX. Fools on BOTH SIDES of politics in the last few decades kept cutting NASA's budget while China and Russia were out there launching rockets...

NASA basically calls an 'Uber ride' to go into space and SpaceX shows up to give them a ride... 😛 

SpaceX works for a guy that names his kid a series of random characters, smokes weed on podcasts, but still makes Tony Stark look like an amateur. 😄

Oh... and he's an immigrant... from one of the '[bleep]-hole countries'...

(Musk left his home country to get AWAY from White Nationalists - he was about to be drafted and forced to fight FOR Apartheid. These day, since I live next to Tesla's factory and used to work next to their HQ and own multiple products from them - I see that he hires with greater diversity than anyone else I've seen in tech. He's a brutal person to work for, but at least he doesn't discriminate.)

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

This country is going down

Yeah...

articles like this are now a daily thing:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Man-killed-by-police-after-mask-dispute-at-15407137.php

one stabs another because the victim told the first guy to wear a mask... so the guy stabs him because 'murica & freedom'...

Police them kill the guy who did the stabbing...

Just... too much violence over stupid.

Didn't need to stab someone over something so minor, and even if I think the guy is an idiot thug... police didn't need to gun him down... We have a legal system with courts for a reason... folks are supposed to be alive when the trial starts...

At least the stabbing victim lived... this time...

This one... is just one random article today... I get at least one a day of these things...

Yesterday it was one about a bus driver being beaten to death by the riders because he told them to wear masks...

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is this, here, this forum, a safe space?

A legit question.

You see how we have a few posts here and there from right wingers. Some of them legit efforts to engage, but some of them definite attempts to troll and silence...

Sadly those trolls make it harder for us to engage with the right-wingers that actually do seek to engage... because it gets muddled. They actually end up silencing the rational folks on their own side more effectively than their opponents as a result...

Well...

historically those trolls were the dominant force on these forums, but for the past few years they've had a lot less sway here.

If we could push them down a bit, then we could have actual dialog across the lines... but at least in the USA things have reached a point where they're literally being led by the White House and so highly emboldened... and preventing anyone from having real conversations that could de-escalate the partisanship...

In the 1960s, the Left was overtaken by wingnuts, but we never let the Weather Underground and it's ilk get elected into office... left wing wingnuts got stomped down brutally... the Right has managed to let itself get overtaken by it's wingnuts...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

A legit question.

You see how we have a few posts here and there from right wingers. Some of them legit efforts to engage, but some of them definite attempts to troll and silence...

Sadly those trolls make it harder for us to engage with the right-wingers that actually do seek to engage... because it gets muddled. They actually end up silencing the rational folks on their own side more effectively than their opponents as a result...

Well...

historically those trolls were the dominant force on these forums, but for the past few years they've had a lot less sway here.

If we could push them down a bit, then we could have actual dialog across the lines... but at least in the USA things have reached a point where they're literally being led by the White House and so highly emboldened... and preventing anyone from having real conversations that could de-escalate the partisanship...

In the 1960s, the Left was overtaken by wingnuts, but we never let the Weather Underground and it's ilk get elected into office... left wing wingnuts got stomped down brutally... the Right has managed to let itself get overtaken by it's wingnuts...

Well said!

8 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

We, as one people, have never been able to achieve any kind of perfect "all" nor is there a collective "our attitude" especially when speaking about Neo-Nazis or white supremacists who won't ever change.  

As far as the drugs in the inner cities, it's a problem and it needs to be addressed and people need help there.  We cannot just keep sweeping the drug problem under the carpet.

Let's say it's just a minuscule amount of drugs a person is found with.  That prison record for that little bit of a tiny something or other for example, that prison record, can ruin any and all opportunities they might have for the rest of their life.   

I, at least, hope the city council of Los Angeles will finally make positive changes here with programs to help people instead of more police.  

Define "minuscule." Being caught with an ounce or two of coke, heroin or meth is something you should spend time in jail for. Personally i think pot should be legal countrywide.. 

8 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I'm beginning to feel like Drake here Luna.  I don't feel like you listen to what other people are saying and just keep repeating the same thing over and over. 

I think we need to be pro-active.  You think you want to change everyone's mind.  

I'm in the pro-active camp.  

PRO-ACTIVE:

Instead of reacting to or worrying about conditions over which they have little or no control, proactive people focus their time and energy on things they can control.

First off their name is Drayke, with a y...  

9 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Implicit Bias TRAINING is a core part of diversity & inclusion training..don't know about "tests".

How would you know if the training worked, or was needed in the first place, without a reliable form of measurement?

I suggest to read the article in full. It quotes the developers of this test, their intentions in doing so, and how it became mainstreamed. 

Note too, that every human being has bias. It does not follow that this bias translates to an observable behaviour. For example, I may have a bias towards bearded men, but that does not mean that I leap at every one I see or hire only bearded men to work for me or keep one tied up in my closet. I still behave within the bounds of the law and social norms.

Implicit bias training makes even less sense to me. I asked a psychologist about this and he just laughed and shook his head. 

I dare say the people making money off these programmes will tell you otherwise but...maybe they have a motive eh?

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Well...

I have to disagree with several points you made here.

1.  Whilst I do agree that there have been legitimate efforts to engage (myself included earlier in this thread), it was not trolls who made me leave this thread in disgust.  It was people unwilling or unable to engage back.  They had their script and boy were they keeping to it.  It is those people who are silencing the voices of those wanting to engage and have legitimate dialogues. 

2. I am not a right winger, a left winger or even slightly political at all in fact.  I am also not American.  As I have said before, sometimes someone standing on the outside can look at situations with different eyes, as we aren't close to the action and have valid opinions and thoughts - after all, isn't this why therapists are so popular?  Watching what is happening in a country held up as the superpower, the dominant country in the world is f-ing scary as all heck, because if this can happen there, it can happen anywhere!  Please alien life forms, do not invade now!!!!

3.  I very much disagree that it is the the White House preventing real conversations and de-escalating the turmoil.  The emboldened ones are the ones on the streets shooting and killing children and parents walking with their children, the ones demanding (and getting) police forces defunded (omg are you INSANE!!!???) and the ones looting and destroying cities, all seemingly safe under their BLM banners.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

It was people unwilling or unable to engage back

just on this bit

often people (me as well) will stop conversing when a discussion on a particular point gets circular.  For myself is not that I won't engage back, is that I usually stop when I know I am going to repeat something that I said already

like: I say A. Person says back B to my A. I say C to their B. They say B to my C. There is no future here. Any D I might offer I know is going to get me B again

and if I am the B person then I try to stop at the first B. If the other person says C and all I got is a B then I already said it

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

just on this bit

often people (me as well) will stop conversing when a discussion on a particular point gets circular.  For myself is not that I won't engage back, is that I usually stop when I know I am going to repeat something that I said already

like: I say A. Person says back B to my A. I say C to their B. They say B to my C. There is no future here. Any D I might offer I know is going to get me B again

and if I am the B person then I try to stop at the first B. If the other person says C and all I got is a B then I already said it

Totally understand what you are saying here.  Yes it can be a bit redundant debating the same points going over and over.  

My point was directed more at the replies that go in for the name calling (insert presidential insults here), or memes, or just a complete unwillingness to accept that other people have differing opinions - and that it's okay and allowed (or should be).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Watching what is happening in a country held up as the superpower, the dominant country in the world is f-ing scary as all heck

Why are you scared? Things like these always happened throughout history and countries had to deal with it, their internal problems won't make YOUR country safer or unsafe. Did it scare you when the Soviet Union or The British Empire, The French Empire and such collapsed? Well not really and statistically speaking the U.S will be fine for a few more centuries.

Look up in the sky do you know how many stars you can see at night? Around 2500.

Do you know how many people live in U.S.A? About 300 million.

Do you know how many people live on the planet? More or less 7.5 billion...

Now do you know what all of the above have in common? They are all out of your sphere and my sphere of influence. Things are simple.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Did it scare you when the Soviet Union or The British Empire, The French Empire and such collapsed?

Well no...I wasn't alive then!!

I get what you are saying though, and you are right.  I'm just one of those people happy in my own little bubble of oblivion and dislike change.  

15 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Well no...I wasn't alive then!!

I get what you are saying though, and you are right.  I'm just one of those people happy in my own little bubble of oblivion and dislike change.  

The Soviet Union collapsed back in 1991. Don't worry everything is going to be OK.

1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

Did it scare you when the Soviet Union collapsed?

Yes, it did.. They had nuclear weapons and they were splitting into micro countries with many different dictators in charge. All with Nukes. Yeah, as a senior in High school, that scared the hell out of me. It didn't scare you? 

Were you scared when Kim started testing rockets? I was. 

Were you scared when Putin put rewards out on US soldiers lives? I was and still am. 

What happens in super power countries tends to affect the world. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mollymews said:

just on this bit

We've all experienced this but no one took notice of what Paul Hexem said.  

Instead of just saying, 'I feel we are going around circles and neither is listening to the other' for example, it's met with demeaning name calling such as what Paul Hexem wrote in an example below.  

9 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I mean, if the delivery doesn't matter, how's this? "You're a girl, so I know it's hard for you to understand things, but we need to improve things for minorities in this country. Why don't you put on a nice dress, go bake some cookies or something? Try not to distract the men with your fragile little emotions while we figure this out."

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1379 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.