getting woke and SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

53 minutes ago, Haselden said:

Should read my first post, I mentioned this already. But you get the point. But honestly, it's a lot more feasible and cheaper to move. If the government were to fund the trip to another country for African Americans that are in poverty. Would probably fix a lot of this issue, then African Americans have the same solution as Native Americans in the US do today. African Americans could either live with their community in Africa with their own laws & government.  Or try to stick it out as racism gets fixed slowly because it's not going to be overnight.

I also think that would be better than what BLM wants trying to support the black communities for years which won't fix employment issues on African Americans...  

I am First Nations. No, the same solutions will not apply to us as the situations are different. This was our country long before the Vikings showed up, we aren't leaving.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

Perhaps its time to get a different word than 'woke'.

There needs to be a better method of achieving this without outright saying everyone has 'implicit bias'

Everyone does have implicit bias though. This is simply reality. We are socialized to deal with the world via people who gave us direct instruction and rewards for conforming in the past, and we also model behaviors and attitudes of others which we soaked up like a sponge with little awareness of the processes occurring. Much of this socialization was imprinted into our brains at a very young age, making it difficult to gain access to the early brainwashing.  A percentage of early learning is spontaneously altered throughout the natural course of life as we have new experiences and process them, choosing new attitudes and behavior, but much of it is buried at unconscious levels and we can't change until we make a deliberate effort to become more conscious so we can clearly see how our early impressions affect current beliefs and behaviors.

Years ago there were groups formed to bring to light the socialization of men and women into certain roles which limited their freedom -- they were called "consciousness raising" groups.  In more recent times it appears Black people have chosen a word  -- "woke" -- to represent bringing awareness and subsequent solutions to the issues they face, and it is now applied to other social issues related to equality and justice as well. But in any case, most Blacks I've encountered and researched approve of this term. It's not for us, as Whites, to decide what words they can use to define their experience in society -- even if the word becomes politicized by idiot politicians seeking votes, or even if it's used by those who have nothing better to do than fight battles for fun on TwitterSphere.

We must focus on the core issue -- that Blacks and other POC are discriminated against and we need to develop greater awareness and solutions. Don't get caught up in those who try to profit and use or distort worthwhile issues for their own gain, subverting the real and sincere cause we need to pay attention to.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

Yes *some* black people may be well off, but the good majority of us are not. I think a lot of people see celebrities and sports players and assume black people are doing wonderfully. But it's just not the case. As of 2009, the average black male makes around 23-24 thousand a year. That's low income. Not to far from poverty level. And, black women fair no better. There's a lot of discrimination when it comes to the job and housing market. As well as higher education. 

Real integration is true equality, which as I've said before we are simply not. I go into more detail on Twitter as I've been walking on egg shells here.

• Like 2

Shared from a Facebook post- A list of free college level courses

I certainly hope this helps. #AllPowerToThePeople

Yale African American Studies (emancipation - current) - a FREE college level course: https://oyc.yale.edu/NODE/46

EDynamic Learning - Might be a paid service, but offers courses: https://edynamiclearning.com/our-programs/how-it-works/

Michigan State University - African American Studies Research Guide: FREE African American Online Courses and Lectures: https://libguides.lib.msu.edu/c.php?g=95622&p=624416

5 FREE courses from Ivy League schools to educate yourself on race and America's long history of injustice: https://www.businessinsider.com/free-online-courses-about-race-injustice-to-educate-yourself-2020-6

Introduction to ancient Egypt and its Civilization - University of Penn FREE Course: https://www.coursera.org/learn/introancientegypt

Bates College Africana courses - FREE online courses: https://www.bates.edu/africana/program/courses/
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Is some one sided politically motivated you tube streamer supposed set me straight and teach me the ways of the world?

He's a parrot..

Not only do my husband,who is Samoan and my Father and Brother and cousins who are Chihuahua, have to deal with everything that comes with that every day..They are slapped into this hate campaigns category too..

Can Woke make up it's mind or is it just trying to get everyone at each others throats..

Soon we won't be able to eat a bowl of alphabet soup without them already spelling out the words for us because the soup company seen an opportunity to hitch a ride on some political agenda for easy targeted sales..

There comes a time when people just want to sit and escape the world and not have agendas and everyday life shoved in their faces at every turn..

Our family is based on matriarch just as my husbands family is as well.. Our men are raised better than that and don't deserve to be shoved into another hater category..

after seeing that campaign against fathers day and seeing that add..I had enough..

So just dropping a video on me  is supposed to set me straight or make me feel like crap..it didn't..

I was just going to drop a random video and say nothing.. but decided to say something..

here is the one i picked.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Not only do my husband,who is Samoan and my Father and Brother and cousins who are Chihuahua, have to deal with everything that comes with that every day..They are slapped into this hate campaigns category too..

When I saw the Gillette ad I didn't think they meant every male was included in their portrayal of toxic masculinity -- they were targeting only those males who exhibit toxic masculinity. For example, I certainly didn't think it was referring to my little grandson who is the bestest little toddler boy in the whole wide world, and any other worlds in the Universe too... :)

We know violence against women has been common, and in recent years it's been better addressed via the Me Too movement so that men prone to lording it over women and abusing them will think twice about it now.  But that has nothing to do with the admirable men you have in your family, so not sure why you saw it as such.  ?

Edited by Luna Bliss

3 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

It's supposed to give you something to think about.

Soon as he said something on the lines of, if you have a problem with that add it say's more about Yu.... I clicked off..

It's on the same lines as saying..well if you didn't have anything to hide,you'd let us look through all your stuff.. It's a typical fascist tactic..

It's not just one side but both that do it and I find I click off as soon as they start diving in with the parroting..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

lol I liked what he said about men not being able to sit through a 2 minute commercial without losing their minds and going to Twitter to cry about it (the Gillette commercial).   Who started posting videos by this guy earlier?  He's very wise although his appearance with the scraggly beard and posting from a garage made me think of an uninformed red neck before I truly listened to him.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, comitose said:
Yale African American Studies (emancipation - current) - a FREE college level course: https://oyc.yale.edu/NODE/46

EDynamic Learning - Might be a paid service, but offers courses: https://edynamiclearning.com/our-programs/how-it-works/

Michigan State University - African American Studies Research Guide: FREE African American Online Courses and Lectures: https://libguides.lib.msu.edu/c.php?g=95622&p=624416

5 FREE courses from Ivy League schools to educate yourself on race and America's long history of injustice: https://www.businessinsider.com/free-online-courses-about-race-injustice-to-educate-yourself-2020-6

Introduction to ancient Egypt and its Civilization - University of Penn FREE Course: https://www.coursera.org/learn/introancientegypt

Bates College Africana courses - FREE online courses: https://www.bates.edu/africana/program/courses/

Great resources...thanks!   I'm afraid my pile of unread books is going to be collecting dust for a while longer while I check out your links...

53 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Can Woke make up it's mind

Well I won't make up my mind entirely without more information from you, but I'm starting to think you're just a one-trick pony who only cares about Native rights and has little concern for other disadvantaged groups seeking equality and justice.

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

When I saw the Gillette ad I didn't think every male is included in notions of toxic masculinity -- they were targeting only those males who exhibit toxic masculinity. For example, I certainly didn't think it was talking about my little grandson who is the bestest little toddler boy in the whole wide world, and any other worlds in the Universe too... :)

We know violence against women has been common, and in recent years it's been better addressed via the Me Too movement so that men prone to lording it over women and abusing them will think twice about it now.  But that has nothing to do with the admirable men you have in your family, so not sure why you saw it as such.  ?

When that add came out there was a big man hating campaign going on.. Even Fathers day they were trying to take away or divert.. I mean seriously?

Then just seeing these things invading everywhere.. Let alone it wasn't really even for anything more than to just sell more women's razors..

after awhile people just say men rather than certain men..then the mindset becomes men..

My men will walk the fire for me and  I will walk it for them too.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well I won't make up my mind entirely without more information from you, but I'm starting to think you're just a one-trick pony who only cares about Native rights and has little concern for other disadvantaged groups seeking equality and justice.

If you think that then you haven't been hearing much of what I've said I guess..Maybe just the parts you wanted too..

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

When that add came out there was a big man hating campaign going on.. Even Fathers day they were trying to take away or divert.. I mean seriously?

Can you show me articles or videos regarding the Father's Day trashing?  I never heard of that.

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Then just seeing these things invading everywhere.. Let alone it wasn't really even for anything more than to just sell more women's razors..

after awhile people just say men rather than certain men..then the mindset becomes men..

Where is 'everywhere'?  Where do you see all this?

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If you think that then you haven't been hearing much of what I've said I guess..Maybe just the parts you wanted too..

I'm trying to understand honestly.  It's feeling to me like you switched into Dr. Jekyl, or was it Mr. Hyde...lol regarding concern about human rights and justice.   Something strange has happened.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I cut all the clutter from trying to watch tv and the news and a lot of places where we were getting politics into everything..pulled out cable company out and went with roku..That was a big one.. no more commercials and can pick what goes on our tv..

don't listen to the radio anymore, cut out a bunch of shows that decided to go more serious than entertaining.. stuff like that..

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Soon we won't be able to eat a bowl of alphabet soup without them already spelling out the words for us because the soup company seen an opportunity to hitch a ride on some political agenda for easy targeted sales..

Did you see, I found a soup commercial for you...the one about gay dads...    :)

19 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:
24 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I cut all the clutter from trying to watch tv and the news and a lot of places where we were getting politics into everything..pulled out cable company out and went with roku..That was a big one.. no more commercials and can pick what goes on our tv..

don't listen to the radio anymore, cut out a bunch of shows that decided to go more serious than entertaining.. stuff like that..

See I don't think of human rights, treating all with decency, as politics. Not even movements attempting to make changes for the better through direct action.

* Put those capitalists to work who want to sell, advertising a better society where we respect Natives, Blacks, all POC, gays, women....along with their soup, razors, or whatever !     :)

* I do understand though, just being sick of commercials in general. I cut the cable long ago and have a Roku myself, and don't see commercials for the most part.

Edited by Luna Bliss

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm trying to understand honestly.  It's feeling to me like you switched into Dr. Jekyl, or was it Mr. Hyde...lol regarding concern about human rights and justice.   Something strange has happened.

I have a real problem going after groups of people in general.. If you would have heard me in anything I have ever said it is go at the heart of the problem not grab a whole group and shake them all for change.

I've said it about our cities with racism.. do you think I was talking about natives when I was expressing my feelings on inner cities?

I don't need to be accepted here by anyone.. I don't post because i'm scared and inhibited and only say the safest thing to say..I post  honest and how something made me feel or makes me feel or things from experience..

If the add pissed me off because I took it as a company trying to gain a cheap sale at the expense of  insulting my husband and the men in my life, then that's how I took it..it's my perspective..

Draw and quarter me into what ever  you like..I'm not here to prove anything to anyone or change anyone's mind..

If I can't be honest on what it made me feel then I guess I'm whatever you think I am..I'm much more at peace being honest that forced into being fake.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I have a real problem going after groups of people in general.. If you would have heard me in anything I have ever said it is go at the heart of the problem not grab a whole group and shake them all for change.

I've said it about our cities with racism.. do you think I was talking about natives when I was expressing my feelings on inner cities?

I don't need to be accepted here by anyone.. I don't post because i'm scared and inhibited and only say the safest thing to say..I post  honest and how something made me feel or makes me feel or things from experience..

If the add pissed me off because I took it as a company trying to gain a cheap sale at the expense of  insulting my husband and the men in my life, then that's how I took it..it's my perspective..

Draw and quarter me into what ever  you like..I'm not here to prove anything to anyone or change anyone's mind..

If I can't be honest on what it made me feel then I guess I'm whatever you think I am..I'm much more at peace being honest that forced into being fake.

If the men in your life dont act like the men in the ad, how was it even remotely targeting them? 

That comes off as #NotAllMen #NotAllWhitePeople #NotAllAmericans #NotAllStraightPeople  

I thought that thinking was wrong? Thats what we men have been told when we say "i dont do____."

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

See I don't think of human rights, treating all with decency, as politics. Not even movements attempting to make changes for the better through direct action.

* Put those capitalists to work who want to sell, advertising a better society where we respect Natives, Blacks, all POC, gays, women....along with their soup, razors, or whatever !     :)

* I do understand though, just being sick of commercials in general. I cut the cable long ago and have a Roku myself, and don't see commercials for the most part.

It's just when a person wants to get away,escape and unwind from the world in general..it's enough just getting away from our own personal problems..it just seems like more and more, outside things are seeping in the escapes..

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.