How do you feel if strangers come into your SL home unexpectedly?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, and fortunately LL recognizes and deems it common sense that humans have both public and private needs.

Fortunately LL also recognizes and deems it common sense that humans jump out of helicopters to kill whatever moves on the ground.

/me pulls her AK-47

Edited by Vivienne Schell

29 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

when I shut the window on the guy's arm as he attempts to barge into my personal home

Without a warning? Without an hello? No word? Only "You´ll get ejected in 30 seconds" posted by a bot?

I don´t hesitate to eject and ban once a valid reason is given. But I see absolutely no "common sense" in locking my parcel down or let an orb TP people home while i am not even present there at all.

But that´s my opinion. Which is as much common sense as your opinion is common sense.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 11:46 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

A guy I know keeps mounted heads of his girlfriends on his wall.  These are the actual avatars, who have agreed to remain on line, seated on this special sort of poser that hides their body but sticks their head through the wall.  They're a sort of specialized "slave cage", I guess.

You could use an alt and something like this to serve as a "remote cam" to see what visitors do when your main account is off line.

It wouldn't even have to be creepy.  You could just wear a full body alpha mask.

image.thumb.png.efbe32ea32b3dc01cf8ce9df8dc735d4.png

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

when I shut the window on the guy's arm as he attempts to barge into my personal home

Without a warning? Without an hello? No word? Only "You´ll get ejected in 30 seconds" posted by a bot?

I don´t hesitate to eject and ban once a valid reason is given. But I see absolutely no "common sense" in locking my parcel down or let an orb TP people home while i am not even present there at all.

But that´s my opinion. Which is as much common sense as your opinion is common sense.

I was referring to a person trying to get into my window in real life.
Personally, I don't care if someone comes into my SL home when I'm not there, but I respect the wishes of those who feel differently.

Interestingly, this all reminded me of an alt I have whose home meant something, and I just went to check up on the home and its gone!  I feel a genuine loss, like a little part of me has been torn out. The alt and her home by the water on the mainland represented an attempt to reconnect with something I lost as the years rolled by in SL. It was something important to reclaim, and I really hadn't quite figured it all out yet, but I would sit and look out over the water, trying to understand what it was I wanted in my life now that was gone.  But now that opportunity is gone!  

Similarly, people have imbued feelings into their homes here -- they represent something important. They may have left out certain objects in their home, almost like an altar, to represent these meanings. Or there may be nothing physical to see that denotes it. But whatever it represents, their home, they want it to be private. Maybe it's safety that is lacking either now in their present RL home or in the past? Who knows. But it must be respected.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MissMagicCakes said:

they can't alt cam in. so if they can get in, they're using a bootleg viewer.

Anyone can cam in. They just can't see or hear avatars in there if that level of privacy has been set. And, if they cam in, they can sit on any sit-able object. That is when you need security systems to shift them out.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Odaks said:

Anyone can cam in. They just can't see or hear avatars in there if that level of privacy has been set. And, if they cam in, they can sit on any sit-able object. That is when you need security systems to shift them out.

except I have measures in place to make sure they can't. but hey, love how you assume you know how my home is set up ^^

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MissMagicCakes said:

except I have measures in place to make sure they can't. but hey, love how you assume you know how my home is set up ^^

Do tell. I'd love to know how exactly one can prevent others from camming in to see their furniture. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MissMagicCakes said:

I did not think that it was possible to prevent camming. 

Edited by DeepBlueJoy

8 hours ago, kiramanell said:

'Harm' is a tricky word. They could do harm, for starters, simply by being there. I'm not truly as teensy and frail as I often feel, but I would certainly totally freak out when I logged in, and found strangers humping in my bed. 😬 Or finding a complete strange man inside my home. Not saying all men are r*pists, of course, and it's not RL, I get that, but their expressed intention alone, by entering uninvited, would definitely already trigger me.

They could do 'physical' harm to me. Again, not RL, but it can certainly be traumatizing all by itself when someone tries to force himself onto you. Not everything would need to play out so dramatically per se; but given a choice, I'd rather have a say in these matters myself.

They could do harm, simply by harrassing me with their continued, unwanted presence. There are naturally tools to get rid of them, but harm, to a degree, would still be done.

That is from your perspective, and I respect that.

I really wish you would have read the rest of my post that had very clear indicators stating that it was, and is, MY perspective, my opinion, and how I personally view it.  

I stand by what I said, they cannot do ME or MY STUFF any harm, so I do't give a flying firetruck what they do. 

2 hours ago, Vivienne Schell said:

My orb reads them their Miranda rights, promises to let them call their lawyer, and even tells them, “It was so nice to kick you! Let’s do it again, sometime.”

Edited by Ren Toxx
  • Haha 4

Just now, MissMagicCakes said:

and you're just a troll. I really don't owe any of you anything or do I have to accept you showing up and invading my privacy just because you think you're entitled to my time ^^😘

When someone invites you to support the absurd assertion you've made, and your response is "look it up yourself",  which one is actually the troll?

I call BS on what you've said. You cannot keep people from camming. Prove me wrong.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, kiramanell said:

You make a good point about private land in RL needing some sort of clear demarcation/sign. That's more of a legal matter, though (in terms of what you must have done to make known its your propery, before you can take action against outsiders).

We must be careful, however, not to confuse land with homes (the latter of which, after all, is the topic of this thread). Which is to say, I don't think I've seen too many peeps throw a hissy fit over others crossing their land per se. Entering someone's home, however, I feel is of a different order of magnitude. Personally, I draw the line at home invasion. Overall, the Golden Rule applies, I think. If you don't just walk into a perfect stranger's home in RL, then common sense dictates you don't do so in SL either. And if common sense doesn't do it, then simply common courtesy.

Again, you really should read more than just a few lines of a post at a time, lmao 

I was very clear in what I said, it's not rocket surgery, lol. 

Yes, HOMES are different than LAND (not sure why you'd think I thought any differently, lmao,, I'm not a walnut). I brought it up because numerous other posts were comparing sl "property ownership(not just home)" with "rl property ownership"...I was expanding upon that to give an example of where intruding on another's property CAN be done without nefarius intent, in both instances.

I really don't understand how you got that I thought it was wise to just walk into someone's home, rl, or sl...lol. I said quite the opposite actually. 

9 minutes ago, MissMagicCakes said:

search the market. there are invisible things you can put in your home to keep people from being able to cam in.

Those don't do what the snake oil salesman have lead you to believe they do....that's the nice way of saying what Sylvia said. 

There is literally NO WAY to prevent people from camming past those "invisible things" to find your furniture (though you can prevent people from using it, you can't even prevent alt clicking to sit, because the object will just eject them off it, but they'll be inside at that point, at which time your security method should take care of them, if you have one). You cannot make the contents that sit between your pixel prim walls invisible. You can make it LOOK invisible from the outside, but you can't make it actually BE invisible- this is a basic function of sl and how things work. People can cam into anything in sl, any object that exists within sl, including the walls of your home, can be cammed into.  In order for all of the contents between those walls to also be invisible to those camming in, the items themselves would need to be made invisible, which means...even while inside the house, you can't see them, 'cuz they're invisible..and that's just silly.  You bought snake oil dear, sorry to tell you if you actually believed those did something more than made your home look invisible. I know precisely what you're talking about, so, no need to "look it up"..it's snake oil ;) 

Do me a favor...don't believe me....go outside of your house, fly if you have to (ie, if your home is up in the air), alt click on your outer wall (or where you know it to be, if the exterior has that "it looks like it's not there"/invisibility you think it has....then move your cam controls until you are within the walls, say, to your living room.

You will see your own furniture, I can guarantee it. Even if you're not on the same parcel and you try doing so from a distance, you may not see AVATARS if that setting is checked in the about land...but you can, and will always, see objects. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MissMagicCakes said:
19 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:
24 minutes ago, MissMagicCakes said:
46 minutes ago, Odaks said:

Do tell. I'd love to know how exactly one can prevent others from camming in to see their furniture. 

search the market. there are invisible things you can put in your home to keep people from being able to cam in.

16 minutes ago, MissMagicCakes said:

I really don't owe any of you anything

One would think, in this sort of a discussion, that you would gladly share with others if there truly is such a device that can be purchased.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, MissMagicCakes said:

I have some bad news for you. All those "screens", be it for your home or other rezzed objects, or to protect your wearables "unique style" from being inspected do absolutely nothing. They can be derendered if needed, you can bypass them by zooming at the "exact object" that is inside of them, and for wearables there are simple scripted HUDs which inspect your worn attachments and then put all that information into chat, including names and creators of those objects. So save yourself prims and hassle, those who want to zoom in - will. Only existing way to have your home fully private from everyone's eyes in SL is to buy/rent a private region or homestead and close access to it for everyone, but ones you want to see there.

18 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

I stand by what I said, they cannot do ME or MY STUFF any harm, so I do't give a flying firetruck what they do. 

Depends on what to count as harm. If you have some friends who enjoy visiting your home even when you are not there, and you don't want to give every single one of them access to land control and/or a security orb, then by leaving your place without any security you leave it to chance for some random person (with good or bad intentions, doesn't matter, not the point now) to land onto their heads when they are relaxing there and spoil their time, as they won't even have an ability to get rid of said person even if they'll be griefing or trolling. Sure, you can add that person to ban list when you log, but time/fun/moment will already be lost for the affected people, as they'll have to change their plans and leave.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Depends on what to count as harm. If you have some friends who enjoy visiting your home even when you are not there, and you don't want to give every single one of them access to land control and/or a security orb, then by leaving your place without any security you leave it to chance for some random person (with good or bad intentions, doesn't matter, not the point now) to land onto their heads when they are relaxing there and spoil their time, as they won't even have an ability to get rid of said person even if they'll be griefing or trolling. Sure, you can add that person to ban list when you log, but time/fun/moment will already be lost for the affected people, as they'll have to change their plans and leave.

Others' mileage may vary, and I do respect how others feel. But for me, from my perspective, and in my experience...none of that matters to me.  Anyone and everyone that has used my land would know they are free to wander, or use whatever items I may have out on the land (if I had an area I didn't want them in, or wanted only friends or whatever to use, I'd use proper measures to ensure they were as protected as possible, given the tools available). I have literally only ever had one actual problem with people and it was because I took personal issue with him walking her around on a leash, both naked as the day they were born with a whole lot of fetish accessories and bits and danglies attached on a g-rated sim around a large crowd of people fishing, saying the things they were saying. Otherwise...not one other instance of any kind of issue since 2008. So, I'm good with what works for me, and I respect what works best for others, or what they desire. I do my best to respect others' wishes, as I would expect of anyone else if I had any particular ones. I maintain that for me, and from my perspective, no one can do harm to me or my stuff. If they could, or if I were concerned they could,  I would do my best to protect both with the tools available, as best I can. 

Have I ever had a stranger just plop in on me unexpectedly? Yep. Has it been during a time reeeeeeeally not convenient? Yup. Did I take it in stride? Yep. Do I expect others to do, or feel the same as I do? Nope. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

You cannot keep people from camming. Prove me wrong.

Umm, get a private sim and shut it down due to the corona pandemie? That does the job. You know, sitting on someone´s furniture could infect someone, besides getting pregnant or such....consider the lawyer trouble. Also, it will be meant to protect THEM, not the sim owner. Sitting on electric chairs can be hazardous to one´s health!

• Haha 2

On 5/17/2020 at 5:10 AM, kiramanell said:

You're putting the cart before the horse here. You're assuming you can always freely walk in, unless specifically kept/kicked out. Instead, assume people value the privacy of their own homes, and that you're really only welcome inside when so invited. It's actually just common courtesy.

Why would I assume that, when everyone is welcome to come into my home? Why shouldn't I charitably assume that everyone else welcomes strangers, just as I do?

• Haha 2

It's sadly true: there's nothing in SL you can truly obscure from view by others. Period.

I made a tool for my Windlass once, though, that could help, at least, with sitting. It consisted of a invisi 'doormat' collision prim, plus an invisible 'home' prim, covering the entire boat. Upon the owner stepping on the doormat, the home prim would get a physics shape of 'none' (thus making it enterable). And in your absense it would revert to solid. So, when a stranger would TP in, the system gently pushed/nudged them outside of the prim (that wasn't me doing that, just the LL system).

Now, you cannot prevent sitting on scripted objects. Once seated, the object can decide to throw you off, of course. But with the above 'home' prim still being solid, you would again find yourself kicked to the curb by the system.

So, you can deter home invasion a bit, and make it more annoying for them to be there (less fun if you can't walk about freely, I reckon); but with 'no camera constraints', everyone van mousecam everywhere, I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Why would I assume that, when everyone is welcome to come into my home? Why shouldn't I charitably assume that everyone else welcomes strangers, just as I do?

Primarily because you said "If people don't welcome strangers wandering in, why do they leave you land open to the public?" And that's what I call putting the cart before the horse, I simply fundamentally disagree with the notion that everything is a free-for-all, unless specifically bolded/locked down, and/or surrounded by signs or fences, indicating ppl are not welcome. And I maintain my position, that home owners/renters shouldn't have to do any of that, AND still be able to count on others obeying laws of commion sense and courtesy, when entering other people's homes.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Why shouldn't I charitably assume that everyone else welcomes strangers, just as I do?

Well... speaks volumes for your lack of empathy to see things from a different perspective, not against everyone else who thinks in a different way than you.

• Like 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.