How do you feel if strangers come into your SL home unexpectedly?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

41 minutes ago, DeepBlueJoy said:

It's called society, in and out of real life.

I get a sense that those on the other side of this debate think of SL as a game only, whereas we view it as a platform.  But this has been discussed ad nauseam in times past.  Not sure there is an easy solution.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So you have to love rape to be sexually free.  Oh I didn't know that.

Never said that. Just there are many men and women that are into rape play, its a kink of theirs. And yes many women that are afraid of it are sexually repressed or have high morals or ethics, what some would call prudes or teases or were maybe abused at one point and now have become sexually repressed.

Funny thing is some that were abused actually use rape play to help them move on from the trauma of the abuse. And there are a lot of men and women willing to help them in that area of their life.

1 minute ago, JGuala said:

I absolutely HATE when people randomly come in my house. Especially if I'm sitting AFK and I come back to a stranger cuddle up with me. It's just toooo weird & also disrespectful as hell

Why? Take it as a compliment! The one cuddling you must be attracted by your AFK presence. OK, if the someone is a tentacle alien I´d probably kick the slime out and sue him, so that someone will pay for the wet spots on the sofa.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JGuala said:

I absolutely HATE when people randomly come in my house. Especially if I'm sitting AFK and I come back to a stranger cuddle up with me. It's just toooo weird & also disrespectful as hell

then set the ban lines to prevent that from happening. use the access list to only allow those you want in.

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I get a sense that those on the other side of this debate think of SL as a game only, whereas we view it as a platform.  But this has been discussed ad nauseam in times past.  Not sure there is an easy solution.

to some it 'is' just a game and nothing more, its not a social platform where any sort of social morals or rules apply. do not assume ever that everyone thinks or feels or believes as you do, or you will be constantly upset and hurt or angered by those that dont and wont.

2 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

to some it 'is' just a game and nothing more, its not a social platform where any sort of social morals or rules apply. do not assume ever that everyone thinks or feels or believes as you do, or you will be constantly upset and hurt or angered by those that dont and wont.

I never assume that -- I'm aware others treat SL as only a game.

But you should not assume, as you did in another thread, that some of those on this forum don't really care abut each other.  That's not true.

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But you should not assume, as you did in another thread, that some of those on this forum don't really care abut each other.  That's not true.

some may say they care but do they really or is it just a mind game they are playing with that person. you never really know, so should not ever trust them further than you can toss a semi with your bare hands.

some only act like they care to bee seen as good people, when really they dont. everyone is here for their own reason and not everyone reveals that reason to everyone else in fear of what that other person may think or say about them

false care, pity, empathy, sympathy runs rampant in sl and on these forums, so does toxic positivism.

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

That is where you use the access list and not be lazy about adding your friends to it. then all other strangers 'are' kept out and cannot enter at all.  Depending upon the sim and placement of the house it can keep people out if there is nothing close by that they can sittp to, in order to enter the home.

Sure locks wont keep a true thief out, they never were intended for that. all locks are for is to only keep honest people honest. its a fake sense of security it provides. that is why you have other things like alarms and cameras and monitoring services that inform the local authorities. in sl this is done with sercurity orbs and similar devices.

either use a security orb, or set the ban lines/access list on or accept that randoms will come in even if you dont like it. they dont have to really care if you think its rude or  not fair or impolite or  not nice. For the most part most people that come here think its just a glorified open world free for all game. trying to complain to them or inform them that its not is not going to change them at all. They dont care and wont care just because you think they should.

SL is just an escape from reality and the rules of realty for some people. So they are not going to listen to the morals or ethics of someone else who has decided to think they have the right to tell them how to behave here.

I've been in SL for over 16 years and I am not a spring chicken in RL. I know wtf I am doing. You, on the other hand, have the morals and ethics of "someone who has decided to think they have the right to tell others how to behave". Go play your bullshat mind game somewhere else. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Selene Gregoire said:

I've been in SL for over 16 years and I am not a spring chicken in RL. I know wtf I am doing. You, on the other hand, have the morals and ethics of "someone who has decided to think they have the right to tell others how to behave". Go play your bullshat mind game somewhere else. 

How about I go no where because you do not have the right to tell me how to behave and never will. Your time in sl means nothing, it does not make you special or important  or great or someone anyone has to respect.. except in your own little delusional world in your head. I have been here for 11 years.. woooo.. you have been here 5 more years then me. So what big deal. actually no its not and never was except to you maybe.

If you know what you are doing you would use the powers given by LL to keep people out that you dont want in. If you dont its your own fault and no one elses. That is why those powers exist. If you dont chose to use them, that is a YOU problem.

No one has to live by your morals or ethics ever because you think or say they do. If you cannot handle it then leave or you will be constantly upset and angered by those who chose because is their right to not do so.

18 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:
25 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

some may say they care but do they really or is it just a mind game they are playing with that person. you never really know, so should not ever trust them further than you can toss a semi with your bare hands.

some only act like they care to bee seen as good people, when really they dont. everyone is here for their own reason and not everyone reveals that reason to everyone else in fear of what that other person may think or say about them

false care, pity, empathy, sympathy runs rampant in sl and on these forums, so does toxic positivism.

I think over time people have the ability to deduce for themselves if another forum or SL member really cares, or not, and to what degree. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think over time people have the ability to deduce for themselves if another forum or SL member really cares, or not, and to what degree. 

some do, but some can be mislead by others. it happens all the time.  so for some its not as easy. those who want to trust and believe to easily will and do get hurt by it.

Just now, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

some do, but some can be mislead by others. it happens all the time.  so for some its not as easy. those who want to trust and believe to easily will and do get hurt by it.

Well you know what they say, better to have loved and lost than to never love at all.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

OK, so let´s go philosophical, UCK.

Not sure if there are two sides of the aisle there. Human beings bring their interpretation of what a "life" is, their understanding of what "rules" are - and what the universe and all the rest is or should be about - along into SL. Regardless the "game" or "reality" grade, it´s always present. Opinions on this and that - technical issues aside - in SL always reflect their RL experiences. I do not exclude myself there. Also, some take things easy, some take things seriously. But this also is a reflection of their RL experience. Why do we wanna look like Hollywood Stars and why do we spend hundreds of dollars on our avis? While we could be a magic red cloud for no cost but a messed up hairbase?

The permanent (!) ban line or the permanently (!) running security orb are simply a personal reflection, nothing more and nothing less. My home, my castle. Doors shut. Also, it semingly prevents potential psychological stress caused by any kind of confronting strangers, unpredicted events and so on. In many cases it´s the basic assumption that everyone coming along is a potential thug, griefer, thief or whatever else evil the planet has ever born. That´s common in RL, and so it is in SL. Often it is a matter of technical limits, like the impossibility to grant friends or admins eject and ban rights without  setting up a complicated group with roles and all that. And yeah, i paid for it and so i can do what i want.

But all the moral and pseudo-philosphical bs to "justify" one´s granted right  to permaban people and shut down a parcel (or not to) is completely hilarious.

Enough philosophy. UCK!

• Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Well you know what they say, better to have loved and lost than to never love at all.

for some, but for those who have trusted enough to be hurt badly it becomes hard to trust or believe again freely or openly. some do not cope with it well, so become aggressive or defensive about it. like a pet peeve ya know.

2 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

for some, but for those who have trusted enough to be hurt badly it becomes hard to trust or believe again freely or openly. some do not cope with it well, so become aggressive or defensive about it. like a pet peeve ya know.

I remember a professor who said nobody is an adult who has not fallen in love a few times and survived. And by 'survive' I'm sure he meant surviving as an adult who could trust and navigate the world in a responsible way.

So the aggressiveness you speak of is just something that needs to be moved through, grown through.  It's their choice if they want to stay stuck.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vivienne Schell said:

I wonder how you ever managed to create a SL account following your fundamental beliefs.  Cause....ya kno, logging into SL is free for all, unless specifically bolded/locked down, and/or surrounded by signs or fences, indicating ppl are not welcome.

Ahem.

Also, there is no "law of conmmon sense and courtesy" on this planet. There are laws, courtesy and probably common sense..Completely  different pairs of shoes. Btw. Thomas Paine did not mention SL ban lines and security orbs at all.

You know, merely being in a world doesn't immediately entitle you to everything around you. 

And no, when I signed up for SL, I never even once thought it was going to be a 'free-for-all, unless specifically bolded down.' I expected it to be pretty much like RL: with public spaces, musea, works of art, awesome structures, and residential areas. And I never felt compelled to just enter someone's home uninvited. There were no fences, no huge signs, just those laws of common courtesy and sense, that you insist do not exist. Hence, I never got banned anywhere, nor ejected out of a home (save for the one or two instances where I TP-ed to what I thought was an art-gallery or something, from an old landmark, but what turned out to be someone's private home now; those things happen).

N.B. There's really some rather sociopathic thinking going around here in this thread, the gist of which seems to be: "Take everything you want, until stopped. Or out of fear of being stopped." (Like that guy Luna met, who said he'd rape women, if it weren't for him going to prison.) It's quite disturbing, actually. I'll chalk some of it off as just trolling, but the rest...

I use an orb and lock down my stuff if I don’t want others to enter/use something/interact there. In several of our places, I don’t mind at all, in some I do. I write info in the parcel description. But it really depends on the place. If I’m concentrating on something on my platform or I’m in our suite at the Palace, I don’t like the surprise of someone popping in so the orbs there are fast to notify/kick. Pretty much everywhere on the ground at our places in New Babbage are open and welcome/encourage everyone who is exploring.
But damage is on and there are a few, er...surprises? Just to keep it interesting, ofc.

The world is really just a dangerous place sometimes. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Asadora Summers said:

My auto return is set to 1 minute. I was meaning after they use my furniture that they don't de-rez my balls or props from the furniture. 

as your visitors can't delete/return stuff that belongs to you on your parcel, a way to de-clutter is have the props scripted to de-rez when there is no person on your parcel to use them

• Like 1

This happened a lot in the old days.  I'd come online to find people having SLex in my bed or on my "toys".  So I'd get in voice (and also text) and start a running commentary while eating popcorn.  One time the guy actually told me to get out of HIS house, and the girl believed it...until I started tossed the bed around.  Apparently having a bed turned upside down and bounced like a basketball really kills the mood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I like meeting people in my home when I login or go back there, I have met some interesting people that way. I had an East European family move in at one point, I got chatting with them and ended up helping them rent their own land, and even put some furniture out for them.

Maybe I am odd, a lot of people replying on this thread seem disturbed by getting visitors. I can understand it if they are assholes, but then just eject and ban them, it is no big problem.

SL can be a lonely place at times, getting random visitors helps break down those barriers and makes the place feel more welcoming.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TracyToulset said:

SL can be a lonely place at times, getting random visitors helps break down those barriers and makes the place feel more welcoming.

Some people enjoy spending time on their own, and there is nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I enjoy a good fight as much as more than most people, but this one just seems goofier than most. 

I don't hear anyone here saying that they get mad when someone accidentally stumbles onto their property. It's the intentional dingle-berries that cling to a false belief that everything in SL belongs to everyone. It doesn't. LL says so, and in this instance, they are the Gods who get to define that, and they have. It's right here in the terms and conditions we all agree to when using the SL platform:

You may permit or deny other users to access your Virtual Land on terms determined by you. Any agreement you make with other users relating to use or access to your Virtual Land must be consistent with the Agreements, and no such agreement can abrogate, nullify, void or modify the Agreements.

Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I enjoy a good fight as much as more than most people, but this one just seems goofier than most. 

I don't hear anyone here saying that they get mad when someone accidentally stumbles onto their property. It's the intentional dingle-berries that cling to a false belief that everything in SL belongs to everyone. It doesn't. LL says so, and in this instance, they are the Gods who get to define that, and they have. It's right here in the terms and conditions we all agree to when using the SL platform:

No one will accidently stumble onto someones "property" (there is none in that sense in SL, if anyone "owns" any piece of "SL land" in the RL legal sense then it´s LL, and only LL) once someone shuts down the parcel. So no one will get mad, eh.

The ToS are pretty clear, anyway. So this is more like a battle of opinions on how to deal with the options SL offers, which seems to include projecting basic RL attitudes on life, the universe and all the rest.

🤪

29 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

correct and they give you the tools to see to it, if you dont its your own fault.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.