Last Names - Finally Here

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Every little bit helps. ;)

If there are enough people who go wild and keep changing their name as often as they can, there may actually be some money in it for LL.

Knowing how we like to make silly names, they really should have made it a lot cheaper and added a few conditions and safety's.

• Like Steam - you can always see a list of a users previous identities.
  • Changes are locked in for 28 days, one change every 28 days, no excpetions.
  • $15 for a new name. $5 to go back to one you've already used.
  • Remove time restraints from display names

$40 + prem + currency exchange fees and taxes makes it a very rare, almost one off event. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Knowing how we like to make silly names, they really should have made it a lot cheaper and added a few conditions and safety's.

• Like Steam - you can always see a list of a users previous identities.
  • Changes are locked in for 28 days, one change every 28 days, no excpetions.
  • $15 for a new name. $5 to go back to one you've already used.
  • Remove time restraints from display names

$40 + prem + currency exchange fees and taxes makes it a very rare, almost one off event. 

llRequestUserKey() allows you to cross reference suspected old names with new names. And of course uuid doesn’t change so you don’t have to worrry about this being used to avoid bans.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

That's easy to fix. Just add a couple of A rated words to the list and they will sell like... like... something that is very popular and sells very, very well.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, villadelfia said:

llRequestUserKey() allows you to cross reference suspected old names with new names. And of course uuid doesn’t change so you don’t have to worrry about this being used to avoid bans.

I was meaning it be visible somewhere easily via UI .. like a drop down in profiles.

A name change isn't a new identity, that's what a new account is for.

18 minutes ago, ErukaVonD said:

Just bought it and it should be Eruka Nova now. lol I mean I see it on my end in the viewer. How long does it take for it to change here on forums as well?

I had to log out & log back in to the forums (and the marketplace) to see the change. The FAQ says it may take up to 24 hours to change everywhere though.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Evarne said:

A massive warning to anyone that plays a HUD game in SL.

I just paid £42.97 to change my name to Eva Nova and was so pleased, until I logged back in to SL and put my games HUDS on to find all progress lost. I had a guild in Tiny Empires 3000 and also played the classic game, for many years. So I went to change it back, within minutes, and Linden Labs want another £42.97. I have been furloughed RL from my job because of Coronavirus and can't afford to pay twice in ten minutes to just try to get my games back.

Please everyone be careful before you rush in like I did because I have destroyed years of progress on my games.

This has been fixed. I apologize for the inconvenience (and the scare)

Ultralite Soleil, creator of Tiny Empires

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Claire Atheria said:

I had to log out & log back in to the forums (and the marketplace) to see the change. The FAQ says it may take up to 24 hours to change everywhere though.

Logged out and back in and it's all gooood ❤️ thankies

I wanted SO badly and for SO long to get rid of "resident" lol

and now i get to have a free home for a whole month whether i like it or not xD

blah. i won't be using it. i like riding sl homeless. anyone wants a home? take mine. lol allll yourss

I'm still waiting for 'Noyance' to hit the list, I want 'A. Noyance'.  Nothing else will do (until I discuss it with the other half when she comes on later).

Edit:  As you'll see, I decided to do it.  Anna2358.Resident is now Anna Nova, the new me!

Edited by Anna Nova
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I think the cost is reasonable, given how badly designed LL's systems seem to be. Personally, I would not change to any of those names even if they were free. OTOH, I would pay more than $40 if I could pick my last name. Or would have before I essentially quit SL.

I agree. 

Many things went into my slowly leaving SL, probably as recently as two months ago I would have been enticed to come back with a $40 payment to change my name but only if it could’ve been of my own choosing and not from a list.

And yes, I understand that there are lots of codings and things that goes into those changes that made going at it that way impractical (orimpossible). 

My big but -ha ha- Is that is probably couldn’t come at a worse time with the lockdowns and many folks having considerable loss of entertainment money.

I think it’s an extra kick in the side to make it only available to premiums.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

Wake me when the Lindens let us use custom last names.

Until then, I'm not touching this 'feature' with a bargepole the size of the Bingo Strait.

Would be funny if they forgot to forbid "Linden" as a choice.

• Like 1

I was excited at the start and eagerly looking forward to this. Now I'm in two minds about it.

SL is a luxury that I've been happy to pay but honestly it's getting... frustratingly expensive. With the Aussie dollar as it is and not expected to improve any time soon I'm not sure I can really justify spending $62 AUD for a virtual name in this current climate (especially with the cost of groceries here going through the roof. $10 for a head of lettuce?!, $25 for 4 toilet rolls!!). Adding to that I have to admit I am un-enthused about the names on offer that are far too "quirky" for my tastes. I really don't know which way to go.

It would have been nice to have a one-time name change included as part of the Premium membership plan before you start to pay but that was never on the cards, and it has to be remembered that LL is a business. I completely get that. In the grand scheme there are bigger things to worry about but still, trying to see how far this luxury budget can stretch is a major buh-mer. 😑

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

My big but -ha ha- Is that is probably couldn’t come at a worse time with the lockdowns and many folks having considerable loss of entertainment money.

I understand this perspective entirely. And US$ 40 does seem a trifle steep to me -- although part of me is thankful that the cost probably means that people on my friends list won't be changing their names every two weeks.

I think that LL has found themselves in a bad spot, and were pretty much going to be damned if they did, and damned if they didn't.

On the one hand, offering this now, at this rate, does seem a bit insensitive, given the current state of the world economy, and the number of residents who are likely suffering financially.

On the other, they're already very late with this, and to have delayed it further would have caused howls of outrage from those who have been impatiently awaiting it.

A nice compromise might have been to offer it now, but at a discount, as a tip of the hat to the dreadful times we are in. But I suspect that the biggest infusion of cash from this is likely to be the initial one, as those most eager for this (and still able to afford it) rushed to opt in, and they might be reluctant to forgo that.

I AM beginning to think that LL should do something -- I'm not sure what -- as a sort of "gift to residents in light of the current crisis. Maybe some sort of freebie that doesn't cut too deeply into their bottom line? A number of inworld merchants, of course, are doing something like this. I don't know, but I think it would be good public relations at the least. 

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I understand this perspective entirely. And US$ 40 does seem a trifle steep to me -- although part of me is thankful that the cost probably means that people on my friends list won't be changing their names every two weeks.

Lot of my friends have been flipping display names about as often as they can for years .. I have no idea who anyone is now which is fine as I'm a hermit who doesn't talk to anyone..

I'm not after an apocalypse token freeeb from LL, just something that recognizes that a lot of us have been asking for this ad nauseam for many years. To finally reverse course and add the feature back only for the privilege of dipping deep into limited resources now stings more than a little.

12 minutes ago, LSChicky Fredericks said:

You do realize that name is making fun of that massive idiot....

and it's not even funny. 

2 minutes ago, Nextio said:

Yikes.  No custom last name?  Was it really that difficult to find a couple developers to come up with something, besides this half-baked idea?  😐

More like it being impossibly difficult for them to trust us not to make names they would be forced to moderate. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

However, the current exchange rates between the Canadian and American dollars are just killing me.

Same here in the UK. Any US$ purchase I make is now almost the same in UK£. $40 will be about £38. Two years ago it would have been more like £26.  I wouldn't have worried about paying £26 for a name change but I can't really justify £38. Unless one of the names I entered into the contest pops up in a future list.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.