Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Soo.. been to munich, came back, now I got a sliiightly sore throat and my nose is a bit runny. It's not much, but me being me, I'm freaking the f out right now because of so many reasons.

First: despite my age, I'm considered high risk due to pre-conditions (which are, in essence, due to malpractise) and I am afraid of dying. 
Second: I'm notoriously unlucky. I mean, I did all I could to prevent infection. I wear ffp2 masks everytime when I go out, I almost never go out which put an enormous strain upon my mental health up to the point where I wished myself death multiple times a day (kinda ironic) and cried nonstop. I wash my hands, I desinfect my hands. Hell, I don't take the goddamn busses here because there's people too stupid to wear a mask properly. 
Third: I have NO clue what to do next. I will call my main-doctor tomorrow and ask them what to do, especially because I cannot go to them to get tested. I have no car on my own, it's too far to walk, everyone I know either works with high-risk people or is preconditioned themselves, and our busses are too full, I'd be putting people at risk. I do hope so so much they do home visits, and quickly, because next monday, my bathroom is supposed to get remade - which will take 4 weeks, and I don't know what do to now. Call them and tell them to not come? What if I don't have covid? Wait until I get test results back? Tomorrow is already thursday, I won't get them before friday, and even that would be rather short notice. Don't say anything, let them come and hope I don't have it? Yeah that sounds like a very bad idea to me.

• Sad 5

12 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Soo.. been to munich, came back, now I got a sliiightly sore throat and my nose is a bit runny. It's not much, but me being me, I'm freaking the f out right now because of so many reasons.

First: despite my age, I'm considered high risk due to pre-conditions (which are, in essence, due to malpractise) and I am afraid of dying. 
Second: I'm notoriously unlucky. I mean, I did all I could to prevent infection. I wear ffp2 masks everytime when I go out, I almost never go out which put an enormous strain upon my mental health up to the point where I wished myself death multiple times a day (kinda ironic) and cried nonstop. I wash my hands, I desinfect my hands. Hell, I don't take the goddamn busses here because there's people too stupid to wear a mask properly. 
Third: I have NO clue what to do next. I will call my main-doctor tomorrow and ask them what to do, especially because I cannot go to them to get tested. I have no car on my own, it's too far to walk, everyone I know either works with high-risk people or is preconditioned themselves, and our busses are too full, I'd be putting people at risk. I do hope so so much they do home visits, and quickly, because next monday, my bathroom is supposed to get remade - which will take 4 weeks, and I don't know what do to now. Call them and tell them to not come? What if I don't have covid? Wait until I get test results back? Tomorrow is already thursday, I won't get them before friday, and even that would be rather short notice. Don't say anything, let them come and hope I don't have it? Yeah that sounds like a very bad idea to me.

I wish this forum had a hug reaction button... and I wish I wouldn't live at the other end of the country, so I could offer some real help, instead of just lending my attention and an open ear. But if it gives you any comfort: According to the WHO a runny nose is not among the most typical COVID symptomes (coughing and fever are the most common). A sore throat and a runny nose are instead top symptoms of the common cold. You had a lot of stress recently and we are in this weird time of year, when the weather switches between warm and cold. Just keep that thought in mind. I hope your doctor can do a home visit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I would call them and tell them you need to see a doctor before letting them come.. That you are just wanting to make sure you don't have it..

on a side note..Wow 4 weeks for a bathroom? Is there some special reason they are going to take so long?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Wow 4 weeks for a bathroom? Is there some special reason they are going to take so long?

I've been without my master bathroom since last October! I won't complain though, I have others I can use. Getting contractors in to do work is very difficult these days. People who are stuck at home are investing in them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've been without my master bathroom since last October! I won't complain though, I have others I can use. Getting contractors in to do work is very difficult these days. People who are stuck at home are investing in them.

I thought it was going to take 4 weeks to do the job..

I could understand 4 weeks for them to make it out there, but 4 weeks to do a job, unless there is some specialty things that they have to wait on to come in..

Maybe I read it wrong or something..

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I would call them and tell them you need to see a doctor before letting them come.. That you are just wanting to make sure you don't have it..

on a side note..Wow 4 weeks for a bathroom? Is there some special reason they are going to take so long?

Yeah, it's going to be completely redone, as in, new everything, and most importantly, new pipes, because the old ones are over 40 years old at this point. New tiles on the floor and walls, new shower. I don't really know how long it will take, they gave me a rough estimate of about 3-4 weeks (Maybe they only work until noon or something? I never had a situation like this. )

Also, will have my results friday, and then call them depending on what. If my result is postive it'll be super short notice, but a few people have told me how unlikely it is, so I'm trying to be positive for once. >_>

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Yeah, it's going to be completely redone, as in, new everything, and most importantly, new pipes, because the old ones are over 40 years old at this point. New tiles on the floor and walls, new shower. I don't really know how long it will take, they gave me a rough estimate of about 3-4 weeks (Maybe they only work until noon or something? I never had a situation like this. )

Its been almost ~20 years, so my memory is foggy as hell, but when I was a child my parents had our bathroom completely redone aswell and I remember it took several weeks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I thought it was going to take 4 weeks to do the job..

I could understand 4 weeks for them to make it out there, but 4 weeks to do a job, unless there is some specialty things that they have to wait on to come in..

Maybe I read it wrong or something..

My tile guy can only work weekends. He's already put in four of them since the end of July and has four more to go. I expect him to finish in October. I can't build the vanity until the tile is done. That will take me a few days. Then I can order the countertop, that's 3-4 weeks. Then I install the final trim woodwork and paint, that's another couple days. I hope to be using the bathroom by Christmas.

Before Covid I had two choices for the remodel, pay for a contractor to do all of it in an estimated 4-6 weeks, or contract/do it myself. I estimated that would take three months and cost 1/4 the price. Covid messed up the schedule, but I'm still on budget!

I would like to know how many people died of COVID or at least spent time in the ICU because 'never trumper' forces waged a war on hydroxychloroquine when study after study throughout the world has shown its effectiveness in early treatment and greatly lowered the mortality rate. I know there was one published paper in the Lancet that showed how bad HCQ is - only that paper had to be withdrawn because it turned out they used deliberately false date and fabricated numbers, and the 'VA study' where they gave HCQ to already critically ill patients. Point is how many thousands of people may have lived or not had to suffer so long because 'never Trumper' forces decided it was politically advantageous to let people die rather than try a treatment the President said shows promise. That is the question people need to be asking, IMO

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I would like to know how many people died of COVID or at least spent time in the ICU because 'never trumper' forces waged a war on hydroxychloroquine when study after study throughout the world has shown its effectiveness in early treatment and greatly lowered the mortality rate. I know there was one published paper in the Lancet that showed how bad HCQ is - only that paper had to be withdrawn because it turned out they used deliberately false date and fabricated numbers, and the 'VA study' where they gave HCQ to already critically ill patients. Point is how many thousands of people may have lived or not had to suffer so long because 'never Trumper' forces decided it was politically advantageous to let people die rather than try a treatment the President said shows promise. That is the question people need to be asking, IMO

That's not what happened. Medicine does not involve acts of political fraud. It is beyond bizarre to have statesmen obstructing and diverting medicine with such bombastic intensity. Why would they bother, nobody sane would find it to be credible. It's an affront, and this should be so obvious to all adults in the room that it needn't be stated aloud, especially as people are dying and lives are being destroyed, degraded, and diminished as direct and indirect consequence of the criminality.

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I would like to know how many people died of COVID or at least spent time in the ICU because 'never trumper' forces waged a war on hydroxychloroquine

I doubt there's a global never trumper cabal squelching COVID-19 research because they don't like him. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=hydroxychloroquine+covid-19

You know what does prevent the spread of coronavirus? Wearing masks and not lying to people about how serious it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's no more than a full weeks work Sukubia. (unless you happen to be royalty with a 3 acre bathroom).
I know because I assist apprentices/students, some of whom suffer cognitive disadvantage. < that's my day job.
You have serious questions to pose.
Ask to see the Gantt chart which plots the order & nature of works to be done in the most efficient manner.
If they don't have one? Your eyebrows are entitled to be raised. ~^ 
WHY don't they have one?
Want me to pop over and supervise the works? 🙄🤭

tenor.gif

Edited by Maryanne Solo
♬ Crack dat whip.. do do doo doo doo..... ♪
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

That's no more than a full weeks work Sukubia. (unless you happen to be royalty with a 3 acre bathroom).
I know because I assist apprentices/students, some of whom suffer cognitive disadvantage. < that's my day job.
You have serious questions to pose.
Ask to see the Gantt chart which plots the order & nature of works to be done in the most efficient manner.
If they don't have one? Your eyebrows are entitled to be raised. ~^ 
WHY don't they have one?
Want me to pop over and supervise the works? 🙄🤭

tenor.gif

I'm anti-royality with a 2m² Bathroom, lol. They propably can only work one at a time in there, maybe that's why it takes so long? :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I doubt there's a global never trumper cabal squelching COVID-19 research because they don't like him. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=hydroxychloroquine+covid-19

You know what does prevent the spread of coronavirus? Wearing masks and not lying to people about how serious it is.

wearing masks can help yes. So if one chooses not to wear a mask and those that choose to wear a mask do, then the maskless cannot spread it to those that are wearing one. And if one relys on the 'government' to tell them a global pandemic on a novel virus is serious, then they need to re-examine their entire life.  

Besides all that, everybody has perfect 20/20 hindsight, don't we? Never mind the fact there was a serious shortage on masks and other PPE because of out over reliance on Chinese made products. But can we all stop pretending that government's track record has been 100% correct on everything up until Jan 20, 2017?

32 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

wearing masks can help yes. So if one chooses not to wear a mask and those that choose to wear a mask do, then the maskless cannot spread it to those that are wearing one. And if one relys on the 'government' to tell them a global pandemic on a novel virus is serious, then they need to re-examine their entire life.  

While wearing a mask may help prevent getting the virus, the main reason for wearing one is to prevent the spread from the mask wearer to others. They are especially important for people who are asymptomatic but positive. So your statement above is wrong, at least mostly wrong.

One shouldn't have to deal with governments who lie about a global pandemic, or that there even is a global pandemic.

1 hour ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I'm anti-royality with a 2m² Bathroom, lol. They propably can only work one at a time in there, maybe that's why it takes so long? :D

So, as very talented & knowledgeable people here will also tell you, tile grout, wet area treatments and toliet bowls all take a day or so to set/cure so if the work is planned as mentioned, its still only approximately a weeks work lol. (unpainted).
I was just hoping to give you some insight on how these people are trained and what the industry, (in this country), expects and quite frankly - what you deserve.
All the best to you 8^)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Also, will have my results friday, and then call them depending on what. If my result is postive it'll be super short notice, but a few people have told me how unlikely it is, so I'm trying to be positive for once. >_>

Yea they could just be giving a bigger estimate on time because of the times were are in today.. Just to give leeway just in case.. like if there are any custom cabinets and they haven't gotten them measured up, it may take longer to get them in.. things like that..

it's probably just leaving a big safety net rather than telling you a shorter time, then running into something and it taking longer than they said..

I'm sure they have their reasons..

I was just curious if there was something special going in that they may have to wait to get cut and polished, like granite surround for the tub and shower.. things like that..

My fathers company does a lot of new and remodel work.. Remodeling, anything can pop up to delay a job...

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

Besides all that, everybody has perfect 20/20 hindsight, don't we? Never mind the fact there was a serious shortage on masks and other PPE because of out over reliance on Chinese made products. But can we all stop pretending that government's track record has been 100% correct on everything up until Jan 20, 2017?

The U.S. facilitated the sending of nearly 17.8 tons of donated medical supplies to China to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus in early 2020.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/us-tons-ppe-china/

There was also a playbook in place that could have helped immensely with the crisis -- it was thrown out the window when Trumpie came into power due to his obsession with replacing every policy developed by Obama or other Democrats.

Edited by Luna Bliss

And if one relys on the 'government' to tell them a global pandemic on a novel virus is serious, then they need to re-examine their entire life.

We could say the same about the hydroxychloroquine myth that Trumpies believe in...

Like you, people trust in authorities to give accurate information.

Sure, if the mask I'm wearing is an N95 respirator. Which are still virtually impossible to buy.

What I rely on the government to do in a global pandemic is not to actively undermine the efforts of public health workers, state and local government by lying about it. Unfortunately I live in the United States and that's something I can't rely on because Americans are collectively the stupidest people in the world.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.