Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@iceing Braveheart

Some governmental control is not always bad -- especially when it saves lives. For example, laws prevent free speech for those who want to scream 'fire' in a public place without due cause.

Did you hear about the recent super-spreader event where the motorcycle gathering in South Dakota caused 250 plus additional cases of Covid, brought back to various locations in the US?

The following article, by David Frum, who travels across the Canadian-US border frequently, demonstrates how Covid is treated very differently in Canada vs the US.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canada-got-better-the-united-states-got-trump/ar-BB179rH9

Some reputable sources are estimating we'll have at least 500,000 deaths from Covid in the US by years end.

Edited by Luna Bliss

32 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The following article, by David Frum, who travels across the Canadian-US border frequently, demonstrates how Covid is treated very differently in Canada vs the US.

From what I seen it wasn't that much different in Canada from the political flip flopping that went on in the US. Friends who own businesses in the UK have also mentioned the same thing that the above Covid Restrictions for Business cartoon pokes fun at.

The US perhaps had some different dynamics from the protests and riots that were happening there, where thousands of people flaunted any suggestions about social distancing or masking. Though we also had some protests, it was not so "in your face" as it seemed to be south of the border. Had it been, I'm not so sure we Canadians would have been as nice about adhering to the suggested distancing rules either.

There has obviously been a "super-spreader event" going on for the USA for months now so  that one can hardly slight these motorcycle riders deciding to go ahead with their annual gathering.

• Like 1

I have a friend on discord who managed to escape to Toronto around the same time I found a job in Arizona and moved out of the Colorado mountains I had once sought refuge and healing in. They described how apparently today is a lunch day with coworkers, and I was alarmed at the undue risks they were taking with their lives, for what? A meal? Then I realized, in Canada, they don't have an atrocity being perpetuated while nobody does anything sufficient to stop, they don't have criminal obstruction, they don't have violent oppression by authoritarians. My life in this place has long been dysphoric, but the deafening loudness of the cacophony of madness stripping away all meaning, purpose, degrading and withering everything like mass-distributed poison. Drink the kool-aid, take off the mask, cast ballots against the Constitution, poison human spirits directly and indirectly and watch the madness grow in time, like sown seeds of destruction over once-promising fields.

Why is nobody doing anything? Why does nobody speak out? Why don't you care enough? Why don't you treat this as real? Don't you have energy enough to swim? What sort of life do you envision for yourselves if you do nothing?

Someone get me the ***** out of this place, this dying place, this place of dying people, this insane culture of sickness and death and madness and abuse and exploitation and unfettered capitalism and endlessly degrading enslavement by and to lies.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

From what I seen it wasn't that much different in Canada from the political flip flopping that went on in the US. Friends who own businesses in the UK have also mentioned the same thing that the above Covid Restrictions for Business cartoon pokes fun at.

The US perhaps had some different dynamics from the protests and riots that were happening there, where thousands of people flaunted any suggestions about social distancing or masking. Though we also had some protests, it was not so "in your face" as it seemed to be south of the border. Had it been, I'm not so sure we Canadians would have been as nice about adhering to the suggested distancing rules either.

There has obviously been a "super-spreader event" going on for the USA for months now so  that one can hardly slight these motorcycle riders deciding to go ahead with their annual gathering.

There have been lots of problems with the government and civil response to Covid-19 in Canada, god knows -- they were slow to ramp up the close-down, and the lack of proper care in homes for the aged was, to me, inexplicable.

That said, there are some huge differences between how it has been handled in Canada and the US, beginning with the fact that we didn't have a Covid Denier in the chief executive office of the nation. Culturally, too, Canadians tend to be much more trusting of government, and much more "community-minded," for want of a better word: while there has been some of the "the government can't tell me what to do" here, it's been nothing like what we've seen in the US.

Canada screwed up royally, in lots of ways, but the difference between the US and Canada in that regard isn't just that we "managed it better" -- the whole tenor of the exercise, culturally and politically, has been very different from the US.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Some reputable sources are estimating we'll have at least 500,000 deaths from Covid in the US by years end.

Reputation doesn't necessarily help in such an unpredictable situation as Covid-19. That's why so many people are questioning reputable sources. They want certainty that science cannot provide. "Often wrong, never in doubt" works pretty well in situations like this.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Canada screwed up royally, in lots of ways, but the difference between the US and Canada in that regard isn't just that we "managed it better" -- the whole tenor of the exercise, culturally and politically, has been very different from the US.

Maybe Canada's better management was motivated in a large part to Sophie Trudeau contracting the virus early on and forcing Justin himself to start wearing a mask before the medical officials started recommending them. How much did that help to push the provincial premiere's in line with the federal government so there was a more concerted effort nationwide as opposed to the haphazard state support of any Covid efforts in the US?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Reputation doesn't necessarily help in such an unpredictable situation as Covid-19. That's why so many people are questioning reputable sources. They want certainty that science cannot provide. "Often wrong, never in doubt" works pretty well in situations like this.

COVID-19 is remarkably predictable and it follows the credible predictions made. The unpredictability must lie elsewhere in any reasonable analysis, and the true answer may be related to why people are despairing the questionably-reputable sources they'd inadvisably trusted and regrettably allowed to lead them astray, even as everyone who should have known better just sort of shrugged and apparently concluded that this was perfectly permissible and nothing could possibly go wrong with that for a generation and more. A virus that kills at least 3% of those tested positive and for which there is no long-term immunity has the potential to kill over ten million people in the United States. All this would have been prevented under any prior government. This isn't a just a catastrophic failure of US Federal government, this is an international failure exposing something far vaster and far more threatening than any disease excepting perhaps the disease of spirit their abuses of power would plant for the next generations. This deluge must end and the wheel of history must be broken.

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Maybe Canada's better management was motivated in a large part to Sophie Trudeau contracting the virus early on and forcing Justin himself to start wearing a mask before the medical officials started recommending them. How much did that help to push the provincial premiere's in line with the federal government so there was a more concerted effort nationwide as opposed to the haphazard state support of any Covid efforts in the US?

I think Sophie contracting it probably did have an impact on public perception of the pandemic, and helped ensure that people were taking it seriously. It also gave Trudeau the opportunity to "look serious" about it. But I don't have the sense that it much impacted upon actual public policy. The federal government had already decided, before then, that they were going to treat this as a crisis, and their press conferences and so forth were already signalling that. And I think most provinces just followed suit.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Did you hear about the recent super-spreader event where the motorcycle gathering in South Dakota caused 250 plus additional cases of Covid, brought back to various locations in the US?

The media has printed plenty of stories about the Sturgis gathering, about parties at college and on the beaches, about various political rallies, etc.. However, not a single article has discussed the mass gatherings of the protests across the nation.  The various pictures show plenty of people without masks, and most definitely not social distancing, and the gatherings have been going on for months, but it would not be politically correct at this time to mention anything about COVID-19 breakouts tied to those protest gatherings.

What is at the top of the news does not always tell the whole story or paint a fully accurate picture of things.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chroma Starlight said:

A virus that kills at least 3% of those tested positive

What would that percentage be if everyone was tested?  Speculation, by many of the 'experts' is that there is a very large portion of the population that had COVID-19 and never showed a symptom, or at least not serious enough symptoms to warrant going to a doctor.  Factor all of those in and the death rate drops quite a bit.

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

What would that percentage be if everyone was tested?  Speculation, by many of the 'experts' is that there is a very large portion of the population that had COVID-19 and never showed a symptom, or at least not serious enough symptoms to warrant going to a doctor.  Factor all of those in and the death rate drops quite a bit.

We literally cannot factor in tests that have not been administered in a pandemic scenario. You're factoring in literally nothing credible if you try to do it like that, and it's a really long-winded denial that this thing is killing people, they're dead because of it, it's a mass atrocity being perpetuated with the collusion of people in key positions of government authority.

15 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

We literally cannot factor in tests that have not been administered in a pandemic scenario. You're factoring in literally nothing credible if you try to do it like that, and it's a really long-winded denial that this thing is killing people, they're dead because of it, it's a mass atrocity being perpetuated with the collusion of people in key positions of government authority.

I'm not denying that this is killing people.  I am saying that "3% of those that have tested positive" is not the same as "3% of those that actually had the virus".

It is the flouting of your type of statistics that gives the impression of paranoia shouting and that just adds to people's doubt of the government, the officials, and the statistics.

If you want people to trust the statistics, provide statistics that are truly meaningful rather than aimed at simply scaring people.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Chroma Starlight said:

COVID-19 is remarkably predictable and it follows the credible predictions made.

It's more than just Covid-19, it's also the economic impact. We're still analyzing the various balances that have been struck around the world, trying to obtain credible data in a highly polarized environment. The economic impact may not be known for years, if ever. Even if we look strictly at Covid-19, our understanding of it, and our models for it, are constantly changing. That upsets people who are afraid and need certainty.

Back in March, a good RL friend of mine made his argument for the utter destruction of Sweden by their cavalier attitude towards the virus, preferring to let herd immunity take care of things. I pushed back at that time, partly because that's what I do. Sweden's approach has not been the utter catastrophe he predicted (he predicted 10x more deaths than actually happened), though I also wouldn't call it a success.

I can't recall a more complex time in my life, nor a time when complexity was more reviled.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm not denying that this is killing people.  I am saying that "3% of those that have tested positive" is not the same as "3% of those that actually had the virus".

It is the flouting of your type of statistics that gives the impression of paranoia shouting and that just adds to people's doubt of the government, the officials, and the statistics.

If you want people to trust the statistics, provide statistics that are truly meaningful rather than aimed at simply scaring people.

You'll have to explain to the Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus resource center that they're giving the impression of "paranoia shouting," and how the recent changes in public health administration internal reporting equating a less cohesive picture being reported through official channels is helping to build people's trust of government, officials, and the statistics.

I don't believe it's reasonable to claim that the public health messages, the messengers, or their authors are intent "at simply scaring people," but rather their purpose is to inform and empower with the light of credible knowledge.

The fact is, you don't know what's going to happen if you are seriously exposed to COVID and you don't know what's going to happen to those you may expose to COVID. It seems willing to attack many internal systems vigorously; hearts, lungs, brains, nerves, intestines, really it's not clear there's any place it won't rip apart given a chance. For many, contracting COVID is also going to be complete financial ruin in this insane predatory place.

Its paralyzing free exchange and isolating people worldwide. This is great for the despotic enemies of civilization, I'll bet they wish they thought of it themselves.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chroma Starlight said:

COVID-19 is remarkably predictable and it follows the credible predictions made.

1 hour ago, Chroma Starlight said:

The fact is, you don't know what's going to happen if you are seriously exposed to COVID and you don't know what's going to happen to those you may expose to COVID.

COVID-19 is remarkably predictable, but we don't know what's going to happen.

Got it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Double down and accept responsibility for you and yours personal safety.
There is NO other topic of discussion.
Trust ANY media? -> 😂
Trust ANY government? -> 😂 
Trust ANYONE? -> 😂

EnGarde' Covid-19 you pox ridden pestilence.
Touche' filthy mutant disease you WILL NOT affect me or mine.
Not now, not ever. 😝 *Fiddle minger

Edited by Maryanne Solo
The Bird.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

COVID-19 is remarkably predictable, but we don't know what's going to happen.

Got it.

Systemically it is predictable how it spreads, individually "it depends" how it manifests and where it does damage, but certainly nobody should assume they're safe or immune or without a role to play in bringing the evitable spread of this pandemic under control. They need to realize this was a dysfunctional result emerging from a political system now so deeply failed that it is completely riddled with 0-day exploits, and someone just prank posted two-hundred thousand individual lives to death here and heavens only knows how many elsewhere with their stolen liberal democratic power.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, iceing Braveheart said:

info wars stuff

Dr Girard sounds like a sensible bloke to me (even with my rusty French)

Especially when dealing with this sort of nul

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/bar-kirouac-patrons-ignored-self-isolation-1.5709397

Not exactly The October Crisis or the Oka Standoff redux is it?

11 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It's always amazed me how easily people buy into conspiracy theory malarkey and then proceed to reinforce the belief in conspiracy theories using biased sources. Nope. Not jumping on that merry go round.

Whether it's a conspiracy or government has failed under the weight of its own corruption makes little difference at the end of the day.

Positivity rate is the best way to track how bad the spread is...

number of tests with positive cases in a region..

The U.S. is at 5% positivity rate right now and has been on a downward track since the beginning of August..

You guys can check this daily in each state if you like rather than having to wait for media that usually does a half assed job of researching it anyways.. it shows  the number of tests at the time and at what percent positivity rate each state is at or the whole country is at..it's a pretty neat tool..

I don't watch any of the media for things like this, especially in an election year.. you have one side trying to scare the crap out of us and the other trying to make it seem all honky dory..hehehehe

Anyways,

This link is from Johns Hopkins university of Medicine.. They have a lot of useful information and charts always being updated there..

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/usa

ETA: I'm just gonna add this site as well.. They have a world map which you can scroll over, plus a bunch of other information you can find looking around..it's data is updated twice a week..

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing#the-positive-rate-a-crucial-metric-for-understanding-the-pandemic

Edited by Ceka Cianci

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.