HEY GRANDPA! WHAT'S FOR SUPPER?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't think this one is out there yet, and since we'll all be dining in more (something I detest unless Cari is cooking for me).  Feel free to do pics, sorry, I'm awful with cameras.

Tonight we have Hungarian sausage (made by my local grocer, very zesty!) on rotini with Calibrian pepper sauce.  Alas, I only permit myself one bottle of wine per week, and that's for steak night.

• Like 2

For lunch my fiancé had a mini meatloaf and then cauliflower with cheese and peri peri spice, I had an “everything” bowl with leftovers, extra beans, cauliflower rice…sprinkled with diced cucumbers and a spoonful of the spicy tomato meatloaf sauce on the beef, I really like mixed bowls as a lunch. He really likes all kinds of meatloaf, so I make them for him but I’m not a huge fan so I usually eat something else. Tonight will be steak, roasted sweet potato chunks and a large salad with homemade blue cheese buttermilk dressing, a few shrimp tossed on top with a dusting of grated Romano off the wedge. I enjoy cooking all kinds of things.

edit: he splurged on a whole choice Angus beef loin so I’m happily sharpening the big knife! Good eats for days off of something like that, Grandpa!

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 1

I tossed a giant potato in the Insta Pot, “baked” it and then it made an exit under a yummy blanket of Salsa, taco meat & shredded cheese!

This is much prettier than mine;

858bba59-624a-41a1-809c-3b31c16b3b23.jpg

This is about two meals for my way-of-eating, three if I just let myself SMELL it and gain weight when it first comes up.

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 4

I haven't felt much like eating at all today. Lunch was two hard-boiled eggs and one slice of toast. Dinner was a delivery from our local takeaway because neither of us felt like cooking. I had my favourite; salt & pepper beancurd with fried rice. I managed about a third of it.  I'm getting hungry now and again but after a few mouthfuls I'm like, "Nope, that's enough now". But I am drinking unsweetened black tea by the gallon.

Benefits-of-Black-Tea.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 2

Did a main meal at 3pm for myself and my brother. Usual. Salmon, with whatever seasonal vegetables are available. Today was Brussels sprouts and carrots, maribel potatoes with a slather of soft blue cheese and a squeeze of lime. Didn't think to photograph it :( 

• Like 1

Making a big pot of curry.

• Leang curry paste 
  • coconut milk
  • potato
  • onion
  • mushroom
  • yellow bell pepper

simmer

then add 10 med pre-cooked shrimps and a scoop of cauliflower rice to each bowl, pour on some of the curry, garnish with cilantro.

Yumyum...even the cat is sniffing the air. 😻 might attempt a photo if it looks pretty...should have used an orange or red pepper for better photo aesthetics, lol. 

A8482B55-7015-40E5-847A-FB662332D1F1.jpeg

Edited by Fauve Aeon

15 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

I tossed a giant potato in the Insta Pot, “baked” it and then it made an exit under a yummy blanket of Salsa, taco meat & shredded cheese!

This is much prettier than mine;

858bba59-624a-41a1-809c-3b31c16b3b23.jpg

This is about two meals for my way-of-eating, three if I just let myself SMELL it and gain weight when it first comes up.

I’m with Lindal, it looks delish. I have just enough taco meat left to do these tomorrow for lunch too! I’m baking some potatoes tonight.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Making a big pot of curry.

• Leang curry paste 
  • coconut milk
  • potato
  • onion
  • mushroom
  • yellow bell pepper

simmer

then add 10 med pre-cooked shrimps and a scoop of cauliflower rice to each bowl, pour on some of the curry, garnish with cilantro.

Yumyum...even the cat is sniffing the air. 😻 might attempt a photo if it looks pretty...should have used an orange or red pepper for better photo aesthetics, lol. 

A8482B55-7015-40E5-847A-FB662332D1F1.jpeg

That sounds like something I want to try, and I know my local shop has all the ingredients. I was only looking at tins of coconut milk and exotic spices this evening. 

• Like 1

My meal choices are a bit different from the usual as my grocery shopping was a little strange this week. I wore a mask and lined up before getting inside. The store even warned everyone to keep their distance from each other. Today I had breakfast of small wheat bagels topped with pepper jack cheese and crispy bacon. Delicious. The store only had small bagels and giant loaves of bread cut thick like Texas toast. I also had roast chicken for lunch from the same grocery. It was a whole spatchcocked bird. Tonight I might have some tamales which I normally buy hot but this week only the refrigerated version was available.

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Tonight was lemon pepper chicken, baked potatoes and zucchini. That was the last of the fresh vegetables for now.

I saw someone recommended foraging.  Sunflowers are, supposedly, edible and good for you.  But me, I'll put on the bandanna and the gloves and brave the produce section.  Assuming there is anything there.  If not, in descending order, it's the Frozen Foods section, the Canned Vegetables section, and then calling up the pizza place and getting a veggie pizza.  After that it's...um...foraging, I guess.

Addendum:  Is pistachio almond ice cream a vegetable?

Edited by Lindal Kidd

13 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Addendum:  Is pistachio almond ice cream a vegetable?

My requirement for it to be a vegetable is: does it become edible once covered with bacon bits and cheese.

So pistachio almond ice cream would not be a vegetable.  That makes it a protein.  Also a requirement for a balanced diet.

• Haha 2

Tonight was a can of Campbells soup (canned soup is a great option for emergency food supplies) with half of one of those small loaves of French bread (slices about 1" thick, buttered, garlic salt, oregano, pepperjack cheese, heated at 350 for about 5-6 minutes, then broiled for about 2) with milk.  One of my favorite meals, actually.

I made my taco potato today, so yummy! I’m not a good ‘morning eater’ or really into breakfast foods much and never have been. I usually just want a Milky tea or coffee...but the past 3 days at about 10am I’ve been eating a cold ‘parfait’ of overnight oats, Greek yoghurt and defrosted berries in their juice...I add a shot of sugar free caramel, mocha or vanilla syrup. A homely mason jar of goodness and very little effort. 

• Like 1

Great big pot of chili, half of which is being frozen for later use.   It's a chilly day here so chili seems appropriate. 

Thankfully I am in a position currently of not needing to stock up on food, because we had already recently done so in small trips anyway, because I do that once a year for about a month. So thankfully my cupboards, fridge, and freezer are full and our animals have a good supply too.  We also took extras to my mom's house for them, my aunt and uncle who are out of work and actually have been for a while due to all this and unable to get any kind of assistance because this state sucks donkey nuts, an elderly neighbor that lives up the road who lost her husband a couple months ago, and another lady that lives up the road from us who isn't elderly just doesn't accept help easily but really needs it (we drop stuff off for her all the time, have done it for about 14 years, anonymously..she still hasn't figured out it's us).

• Like 2

Yesterday I considered a personal milestone in this pandemic thing as it marked the first day of my household going by without fresh produce. It was rice, and canned veggies. Maybe I'm cheating, because the sauce had shallots in it, but for some reason I don't want to count those as fresh. It's like reliving my college years.

• Haha 1

We rarely eat out, due to our intolerance of others...................

So we carry on as usual, except for what is unavailable, like smoked salmon.

So home made pizza, veggy Lasagne, fresh fish, chicken, with potatoes and whatever veg we can find. 

Sea bass tonight with potatoes & peas

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.