HEY GRANDPA! WHAT'S FOR SUPPER?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:49 AM, Fauve Aeon said:

Late night snacking is a bad, bad habit...😉

3038D89F-035F-46B7-BEDA-2A8A3462BE76.jpeg

Depends what you're snacking on. That looks pretty nice, apart from the - is it a dill pickle or a gherkin? That might give me a bit of indigestion to keep me up all night. 

My late night snack of choice is usually anything from a spoonful of peanut butter to a bowl of breakfast cereal.

Today I have the whole beef loin to take apart. I’ve done plenty of pork loins but never a beef.  $1.88/pound vs $11.99/pound though!

I think I’ll do filets, I’m not feeling confident enough to attempt a chateaubriand. Also, no veal stock or base for that sauce. (And yes, I’m making excuses because I’m just too chicken to wreck it!)

so...filets with roasted asparagus and blender béarnaise it is! I’ll freeze 2 and defrost next weekend to see how they defrost as well, a test to see if this freezer is at all kind to beef, a friend wants to partner with us to order a side of beef but I’m not sure this old top freezer is up to the task of keeping it well. Sam’s almost always has choice grade angus that tastes good so that will be hard to beat without a chest freezer and significantly better beef. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Depends what you're snacking on. That looks pretty nice, apart from the - is it a dill pickle or a gherkin? That might give me a bit of indigestion to keep me up all night. 

My late night snack of choice is usually anything from a spoonful of peanut butter to a bowl of breakfast cereal.

It is a sweet gherkin ;) . There is a wives tale that dill pickles before bed cause nightmares, not sure where it is from but my grandmother believed it, haha! I’m ok if I go to sleep before about 11pm but after and I nearly always want a snack!

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 6:44 PM, Seicher Rae said:

Cooking? Yer kidding, right? I mean, by this time into the whole isolation thing I'm not even bothering with clothes let alone cooking. I was buying stacks of these yummy dinners from the refrigerated section and taking them home to freeze well before people were hoarding toilet paper. Nuke for 5 mins and you can be back in front of the screen bingeing the Netflix of choice, plus no dishes to wash.

image.png.7cbd5a5c2a9af3a84581cc3664ef7e82.png

This generally is how my real life self lives at home. When I am at my brother's I have to cook him some meals from scratch, but at mine I live in my pyjamas/nightdress and eat stuff straight out of cans and packets. My mother taught me well! 

• Like 3

On 3/31/2020 at 6:48 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Spaghetti left over from dinner the other night - going to pop some of that into the microwave for lunch.

I love leftover spag bol, quickly re-heated in a frying pan with a fried egg and grated cheese lobbed into it. Greasy, salty, bad for me, but hey ho. 100% enjoyable, and enjoyment is definitely at the top of the list currently.

• Like 2

Man, I just like food and seeing what people are eating in the thread. Frozen or scratch, it’s always so interesting what people can get up to in the fooding process. If you don’t like to cook, so many good things in the freezer, jars and cans. Yumyum to it all! 🤩

• Like 1

Last night I had black beans and rice. My first attempt at making it from scratch and everyone liked it.

Some time ago we got tired of cooking and we now cook one day a week. We use Mason jars to put things in and will usually have three different dinners to pick from. Veggies are up to the individual but sometimes a dinner is a one dish meal. We have been doing this for about six months now and its so nice to just heat up dinner and eat. But its not a hard fast thing, sometimes we cook or order pizza.

Our only problem is only one microwave but that works its self out.

• Like 1

I'm recreating an old childhood favorite of mine, Spaghettios,.  It shall be homemade from scratch.  Toss together diced roasted tomatoes, minced garlic, red wine, & ditalini pasta with enough H2O cover in a casserole dish and bake.  Can't forget the herbs and spices.

Surf and turf:

Filet mignon finished with scallion butter, paprika dusted seared salmon and a simple green salad with asparagus tips and home-made bleue cheese dressing. Lemon water. Maybe a pickle. 

this will be the 4th meal for 2 from the beef loin I cut up, we will have 2 more from it at least. We have eaten my home cooking since the remote work started, March 20.
 I reheated one frozen bag of carnitas with peppers and we have had some frozen veg and fruits...but the rest has been pretty fresh. It’s a good way for us and I have enjoyed a solid hobby cooking streak. 

tomorrow, cream of asparagus and mushroom soup using up the asparagus butts and mushroom stems. 😉

• Like 1

I don't feel like real cooking and none of the already made meals in the fridge sound good either.  Just one of those days.

So.. maybe chips, ice creams, all that crap that I'm not supposed to eat.  Maybe I'll throw in a protein bar for good measure.

• Haha 1

I made a 14 pound Turkey Sunday,,

Nothing too fancy really..

First things first.. Remove everything from inside the turkey but don't throw it away.. you can set the heart and gizzard and neck in the roasting glass if you wish and cook those..

The men in my house fight over those..hehehe

Aaaanyways, I cover the bottom of the roasting glass with,

2- sliced carrots,

around 5 or 6, sliced mini bell peppers

around 6 sliced scallions.

A cup of peas.

Then in a medium sized frying pan I'll put in a half a stick of butter on medium heat..

I'll let that melt down until the butter just starts to change color on the outer edge of the pan

Then I'll add

1, sliced carrot

3 sliced mini bell peppers

3 sliced scallions

1/3 cup of peas..

Also  I'll add a few dashes of seasoning,which I'll put the ingredients for  at the bottom of the post.. Or you can season how you like..

Then constantly working the veggies until you see a slight glaze thickness start to build..

Remove from the heat..

Take the veggies and places them inside the turkey trying to cover the bottom inside of the turkey and the sides as much as you can..Dash the inside really well with seasoning.

Tie the legs together with Bakers string if you have it or really any string will do in a pinch..

Now,Take the glaze from the pan you made the veggies in and start to paint the turkey with it trying to cover as much of it as you can..

Then when that is finished,Dash everything with the seasoning, even get it on the inside, the legs,everything..

Now we're ready for the oven..

Make sure you are as close to the middle rack as you can get..I usually have mine two racks up from the bottom since my stove is electric and don't want to burn the top..

A 14 pound turkey should take around 2.5  to 3 hours at 325 degrees.. it's usually around 15 minutes a pound, but taking the temperature is the best way to make sure..Because ovens may vary on how they cook.

Just Make sure you have a meat thermometer and the breast is at 160 degrees and the thighs are at 175 to 180..

Also,don't do what my sister did one time and cook the thermometer the whole time..hehehehe

just check the temperature with it and take it back out and return the bird to the oven if it's not finished..

Also be very careful to not spill, because the level of juice will be pretty high at this point, so be careful.. you don't want that getting on you..

Ok, now that the turkey is done and you have it out of the oven.. Let it sit for around 15 minutes, because it's still cooking..

Ok, now that it is finished.. you are ready to transport the turkey to a platter..

what I usually do is stab it with a fork where the neck was and a wooden spoon or something big and lift it from the inside of the turkey and set it on the platter..

once it's on the platter,cut the strings on the legs and scoop out the veggies inside the turkey and put them with the other veggies on the bottom of the roasting glass..

You can leave the veggies in the pan or you can get a bowl and put everything from the pan into the bowl..

I like a bowl because it's easier to pass around the table.

Ok,Now Carve your Turkey up

Pass around the veggies that will make you go,OMG these veggies are awesome..

And enjoy your day.

Ceka ❤️

For my seasoning, I'll grind together

around half a tea spoon of salt

half a teaspoon of pepper

Half a tea spoon of garlic powder

a table spoon of Lemon pepper..

I'll grind that until it is well mixed into a powder..This is for dashing and seasoning everything..if any is left over I'll set it on the table for anyone that wishes to dash some more..hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

I’m simmering beef stock to clean out the freezer bones and meat trimmings, an all-day process. A small handful of pink peppercorns, a bay leaf and a rosemary sprig for the seasoning.   I added some carrots long enough to cook them nicely then fished them out to eat! I still need to make cauliflower rice and do up the lunch dishes, we ate up the leftover baked chicken. I’ll probably reheat a beef and bok choi dish for dinner or just pan-fry 2 steaks...either one with some of the cauli-rice as a side. I’m tired from cleaning and shifting boxes. 

1 hour ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Yumyum, @Ceka Cianci! The bowl of veggies sounds so good. What do you use to grind your spices? 

I use a tea cup because it's curved at the bottom like a bowl.. Also a table spoon and just work everything with that, pressing and working it upwards to where all the seasonings are grinding against each other..

it works really good for small amounts for just a meal..

If I'm making a bigger batch for bigger projects like jarring and things like that I have a mortar and pestle I like to use..

I have a grinder also but just don't like it..I like doing it myself.. I don't know why,but it's soothing I guess and because I like to be as from scratch as I can with some projects..

• Like 1

I was really bored yesterday and decided to make a Yankee Pot Roast with all the fixins..  Made roast duck for my wife. Woke up to a couple of inches of snow on the ground... Time to make the weekly breakfast of the gods. Pancakes, bacon, sausages, french toast and eggs of whatever sort people want. 

My wife is very glad she married a cook. 

pot roast.jpg

duck.jpg

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire
  • Like 2

Remains of the brunch fritatta, it reheats nicely so why not make a large one! 8 2-egg servings. 

250g chorizo, 16 eggs, 3 colored peppers, garlic, green onion. A squeeze of rooster sauce. Serve with a few white corn chips on the side and strong cups of milky coffee!

705CC9E3-EF8D-4A65-BE0D-D34F401AE343.jpeg

Edited by Fauve Aeon
Wrong photo
  • Like 2

I was watching a few youtube tutorials on cooking other things besides rice with a rice cooker. So rice cooker mac and cheese for tonight it is.

Mix together a 1:1 ratio of pasta and chicken broth with a dollop of sour cream. Cook until the switch pops up.  Mix in a handful shredded cheese. I used a combination of cheddar and gouda. Top with a dash of paprika.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.