It's normal to request personal informations in Support Contact?

Cleomes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, karynmaria said:

I filled out a support ticket the other day in regards to my LH not rezzing.  They also asked me the same questions.

absurd ..( not your ticket) .. they should have a speed desk for this kind of issues and move a bit faster.. it would help unclog the system a lot.
Would make the waiting time for real support at least 3 days shorter.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

absurd ..( not your ticket) .. they should have a speed desk for this kind of issues and move a bit faster.. it would help unclog the system a lot.
Would make the waiting time for real support at least 3 days shorter.

I agree.  I don't mind being asked security questions, but of course I have to send it back and then wait for a response.  All I wanted was for someone to fix my mailbox so that I could rez a house.  Just seems odd I have to go thru top security clearance to get it fixed, but I guess they have their reasons.  I would have gone thru live chat but I had to work the hours they were open.

• Like 2

Sounds like they have been forced to tighten up on security recently; when I had to get my Linden Home mailbox re-set (about May last year I think?)  I didn't have to answer any security questions. neither did I need to do so when requesting a sim re-start on mainland.

I wonder if someone managed to hack an account by getting info via a support ticket...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Actually, it was kind of Lil to fill you in. Unless, of course, you WANT to be snarky to people who are able to speak more than one language.  

Or gratuitously snarky to people who speak one language, for that matter. One problem, of the many, with designating yourself as grammar police is that inevitably you make your own error. I have never once seen anyone consistently type comments, IMs, emails, or whatever, perfectly. So, you just end up looking like a royal douche when you do police the interwebs, especially for something as minor as "an." But it is certainly within people's rights here to flaunt their douchiness. I actually find it rather educational, and not about grammar. :)

Edited by Seicher Rae
to fix grammar! LOL!
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, karynmaria said:

I agree.  I don't mind being asked security questions, but of course I have to send it back and then wait for a response.  All I wanted was for someone to fix my mailbox so that I could rez a house.  Just seems odd I have to go thru top security clearance to get it fixed, but I guess they have their reasons.  I would have gone thru live chat but I had to work the hours they were open.

8 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Sounds like they have been forced to tighten up on security recently; when I had to get my Linden Home mailbox re-set (about May last year I think?)  I didn't have to answer any security questions. neither did I need to do so when requesting a sim re-start on mainland.

I wonder if someone managed to hack an account by getting info via a support ticket...

@Grumpity Linden

Not sure who I should aim this at but I figured it could be passed on to the right person at least.

Could we get some clarity on this please? I can see verifying someone calling in over the phone but someone filing a support ticket? Do you guys also require verification when a resident asks for help in Live Chat? If not, then why ask for it on a support ticket? You have to be logged in to file a support ticket or talk to Live Chat so why is one treated differently from the other? If an account has been compromised would that person file a support ticket or ask for help in Live Chat after stealing the account? Has that ever happened? Would not the person filing a support ticket or asking for help to recover the account in Live Chat have to do so from an alternate account or via email or like I did to get this account back years ago via a phone call? Don't you guys keep a record of previously used emails for each account for verification purposes?

• Like 2

@Selene Gregoire Thanks for putting those questions out there.  Like I said I have no problems with the security questions, it just would have been nice if they asked these at the time you put in the ticket as I wasn't able to get to live chat.  Maybe there is some way they can implement that, little boxes asking you these questions when you submit your ticket.  The house would have had to been fixed no matter who owned the parcel, I wasn't needing an account reset, just a simple mailbox reset so that I could rez the houses.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 5:14 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

please keep it a bit real, the question was in no way related to a account.

yes, but did she use the premium account holder phone number?  The premium account holder hot line is not allowed to give info to non premium members

Edited by kali Wylder
i know it's a bit of a stretch to insert the argument here but I just wanted to hear it again
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Some of the questions mentioned on the first post I wouldn't have a clue since my account was made back in the stone ages. Recently I lodged a ticket and wasn't asked all those questions, then again it was simply to add a piece of abandoned land to one I had in world.

Yeah I think that this is something new.  The last time I filed a ticket was when the Victorians first got released, some fencing had to be fixed on their end.  I don't recall getting asked those questions back then.

I honestly think maybe it all depends on the LL employee you're dealing with. I've been asked these same questions before, and sometimes I've been asked nothing. 

I also answered the questions without thinking twice about it because I knew I was dealing with a Linden Lab employee while they, without asking those questions, had no way of knowing if I was actually Beth Macbain. 

Because I value the security of my SL account more than I worry about losing those 10 precious seconds while they verify I'm actually the owner of my account that has a couple of my credit cards attached to it. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Because I value the security of my SL account more than I worry about losing those 10 precious seconds while they verify I'm actually the owner of my account that has a couple of my credit cards attached to it. 

This.

I would have no concerns about providing this information if asked. Because when I open a support ticket or enter live chat, I know it's an official Linden Lab employee that I'm speaking to.  It's not the same as it would be if sone rando called me or emailed me asking for those things. When you know who you are communicating with, you know it's safe to answer. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I've been asked these same questions before, and sometimes I've been asked nothing. 

This is why I asked the questions. They need to be consistent and they are not. There is no real need to verify when filing a support ticket or asking for help in Live Chat. If it comes in email and the email address matches what is on file, no need to verify. Over the phone, definitely need to verify but otherwise, no. The only exception to that, I would expect, would be something like a recent data breach.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

• Administrators

Hey there Cleomes!

I've gone ahead and edited your original post to remove your Security Question as a safety precaution. We strongly encourage you to NOT share this information.

In regards to the verification topic as a whole, depending on the contact we will request verification with a handful of questions. We find that often there are people who do not remember their SQA, so in order to prevent further back and forth we ask a few other questions during the initial verification request. Please also note that it is the responsibility of the Resident to remember important information on their account (such as their Security Question) to make contacts with Support as smooth as possible.

If we are discussing account specific details or making any changes/updates to the account, or have concerns regarding ownership of the account (such as in cases where the accounts appears to have been shared), we must verify account ownership to ensure that we are indeed speaking to the account owner. 

We take user safety and privacy very seriously, and any and all verification information provided in a ticket is removed after verification is either confirmed or denied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

On 2/23/2020 at 8:42 PM, Cleomes said:

Good evening every one!

I'm facing a real dilemma 🤨 about "security questions" from people of Support Contact of Linden Lab and I would like to know if these requests are regular or not. Let's go to the situation:

Four days ago I made 2 questions to support about be a premium member and I imagined the answer would be simple and easy, like "yes you can or no you cannot"... just like that... but for my surprise the person of support system said to me that before any answer, it would be necessary to check if I'm the owner of the account and this procedure was to  in order to maintain the safety and security of my account!

The questions made from Support was:

What is the answer to your security question: <Removed for safety>

From what city, state, and country did you register the account?

From what city, state, and country did you last log into the account? 

If you have an active alternate account, what is the name of that alternate account? (If you recall the Security Question for that account, please also provide its answer)

My questions to Support was:

1 - If I decide to not longer be a premium member I'll lost my Land? The current size is 1024sqm.

2 -  I have a store in Marketplace, so I have to be a premium member to keep my store in Marketplace?

Now tell me, my good people, It's really necessary to give this "personal and security " informations just to receive this simple questions? My questions is not a general one questions? If I give the answers in someway I'll not be providing to a complete stranger tools to maybe use this informations to others purposes? When we access the Support Contact we have make a login right?And I understand the only the real owner have the password to do it, right? So again... I really did not understand the positioning of the attendant of Support. Should I be worry? Should I inform someone? Is this a standard procedure?

I'm sorry to bring this topic here, but I'm really concern about this situation and would be a great relief to know if I'm concern for nothing or if I have reason to be concern.

In advance I want to thank you for the kind words!!!😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

Sounds legit to me

Edited by Tarina Sewell
POSTED AFTER SEEING THE LINDEN RESPONSE

17 minutes ago, Kristin Linden said:

Hey there Cleomes!

I've gone ahead and edited your original post to remove your Security Question as a safety precaution. We strongly encourage you to NOT share this information.

In regards to the verification topic as a whole, depending on the contact we will request verification with a handful of questions. We find that often there are people who do not remember their SQA, so in order to prevent further back and forth we ask a few other questions during the initial verification request. Please also note that it is the responsibility of the Resident to remember important information on their account (such as their Security Question) to make contacts with Support as smooth as possible.

If we are discussing account specific details or making any changes/updates to the account, or have concerns regarding ownership of the account (such as in cases where the accounts appears to have been shared), we must verify account ownership to ensure that we are indeed speaking to the account owner. 

We take user safety and privacy very seriously, and any and all verification information provided in a ticket is removed after verification is either confirmed or denied.

I don't recall ever having set up any security questions. All of my accounts were created from 2004 to 2009. What should I do?

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I don't recall ever having set up any security questions. All of my accounts were created from 2004 to 2009. What should I do?

If you do not have a security question, or would like to change one, you can contact Support by submitting a case and we'll be more than happy to work with you to update that information :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Last I heard, customer service is provided by a third party. Last I knew it was a company called StarTek. So not Lindens. Poorly paid subcontractors, if StarTek is still operating as they used to.

It may well have changed. I just had to contact Support this evening (UK time) about an issue I was having, and was dealt with by a couple of Linden people directly. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.