Those crazy neighbors...

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Quartz Mole Looks like "somebody" left a skybox at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Carnival/2/3/1345 :P

7e8865ee4cd6707ba629b5ae5cf594b0.png

Found similar  at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Wood/2/2/1346

and http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Trafalgar/3/1/1346

and http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fishtown/3/1/1346

fd776a77fa007fd5f01d41126179ab04.png
https://gyazo.com/fd776a77fa007fd5f01d41126179ab04

On the mini-map you can see a white square. I've IM'd that person to let them know a skybox at 197m is not allowed. They were on it at the time, but it's also been there long enough to leave a mark on the map.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

• Moles
21 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

@Quartz Mole Looks like "somebody" left a skybox at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Carnival/2/3/1345 :P

7e8865ee4cd6707ba629b5ae5cf594b0.png

Found similar  at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Wood/2/2/1346

and http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Trafalgar/3/1/1346

and http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fishtown/3/1/1346

fd776a77fa007fd5f01d41126179ab04.png
https://gyazo.com/fd776a77fa007fd5f01d41126179ab04

On the mini-map you can see a white square. I've IM'd that person to let them know a skybox at 197m is not allowed. They were on it at the time, but it's also been there long enough to leave a mark on the map.

Yes, you've found the platforms on which we keep the server-rezzers that send out the houses for the region.   Congratulations.

• Like 3
  • Haha 18

Been next to this person for almost a month now before I realize all that foilage outside their lot was NOT part of the region build. It's mixed in with their own inside stuff in a linkset.

Most of it adds character. I started looking because they have palm trees and the city just ran through my RL neighborhood this week cutting down giant palms that threatened to crash into folk's roofs... so I've got palm trees in my mind...

48fd516790525dfde7092aad78b5212b.jpg

Without being in edit:

8008287e4ee06b6a1d5efdb2ca977839.jpg

Makes me wonder... at what point does a little crossing over the lines become too much? After all, I'm not innocent here either, and I didn't really notice this for almost a month.

ad04ba88152647425e0f0014ccdedbb0.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Yes, you've found the platforms on which we keep the server-rezzers that send out the houses for the region.   Congratulations.

Shakes fist at Mole who builds a skybox under 2000m !!! :P

I soooo want to rez a balloon on a string above it to hold it up..., and the put a chair and telescope in there. :)

These are probably on EVERY region right... and I'm just -this- late to noticing... O.o

making me wonder if I could script a pair of boots that threw me at an angle and speed based on how I clicked and how long I held... and then make a game of launching oneself between them and trying to land 'just right'... Years ago in a class on 'Games made with Flash' we had a professor obsessed with 'platformers' so we had a class project to make something like that in 2D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Makes me wonder... at what point does a little crossing over the lines become too much?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it at all, unless it was causing some type of issue for me moving through the public areas around their parcel - especially as it doesn't appear to be a visual blight. 

I do understand about the "if one person is doing it, everyone will want to..." aspect, but if it's not causing an actual issue for you, is it really worth taking up Governance's time by filing an abuse report?  I'm just wondering if with everyone's zeal in making sure everyone else is staying within the covenant, whether or not we're filling up Governance's inbox with a lot of minor or non-issues.

I also understand about looking for discussion for clarity - to figure out where the edge points really are - but for the causal reader, it may also make it seem like Bellisseria is full of people just going around looking for things that might not quite be in covenant, in theme, in taste, etc.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Been next to this person for almost a month now before I realize all that foilage outside their lot was NOT part of the region build. It's mixed in with their own inside stuff in a linkset.

Most of it adds character. I started looking because they have palm trees and the city just ran through my RL neighborhood this week cutting down giant palms that threatened to crash into folk's roofs... so I've got palm trees in my mind...

Without being in edit:

Makes me wonder... at what point does a little crossing over the lines become too much? After all, I'm not innocent here either, and I didn't really notice this for almost a month.

I've never worried much about trees that are partially outside the parcel lines, but for my own stuff I do tend to keep the majority of the tree (2/3-3/4 at least) inside my property boundaries.

Most of your neighbor's trees seem to be pushing the boundary quite a bit IMO - it actually looks like they intentionally pushed those trees as far out as they could while still keeping a small bit on their property.  However, there are so many other covenant violations that I consider so much worse, that unless any of the trees are getting in the way of a walking path or something, I'd likely ignore it.  

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I also understand about looking for discussion for clarity - to figure out where the edge points really are - but for the causal reader, it may also make it seem like Bellisseria is full of people just going around looking for things that might not quite be in covenant, in theme, in taste, etc.

Or even the not-so-casual reader. 

I'm not sure about the discussion for clarity point, either, even though @Dakota Linden said it was fine. Governance are the only people with the authority to decide if something is or isn't a violation and I doubt they have so little to do that they're checking the forums to look for more things to add to their workloads, especially when they have multiple ARs for the same alleged violation. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

but for the causal reader, it may also make it seem like Bellisseria is full of people just going around looking for things that might not quite be in covenant, in theme, in taste, etc.

It's hard to know how casual readers take things if they don't comment, but the alternative view could be that people here really care about Bellisseria. Unless of course that imagined reader were thinking of starting a floating whale farm, they could be put off the project by reading this thread :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moirakathleen said:

I do understand about the "if one person is doing it, everyone will want to..." aspect, but if it's not causing an actual issue for you, is it really worth taking up Governance's time by filing an abuse report?

Yeah I've not AR'd it. I didn't even notice it for a month. If I managed to determine it was a source of lag that might change - but so far that region is low lag

For me this one is all about discussion / finding consensus. I like discussing and thinking about these things. My educational background is political science and law - so topics of 'civic behavior / social norms' are fascinating to me.

I understand that there are some people who find distress when ANYTHING is talked about... and... I am basically wholly incompatible with such people.

When a community starts to grow rapidly, that's when it becomes even more important to start talking more rather than less; to keep those social notions intact or smoothly evolving.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Without being in edit:

My issue with this would be that it appears they are trying to at least partially block off public access to the water. The trees are planted in a way that they take up a lot of the previously-open public walking area between houses, as well as the little beachy spot behind the house. It would be interesting to see a photo with the bunch o'trees derendered to show how it was before the gardening commenced. 

Sure, people can turn sideways and sidle around them, but I think the intent is to encourage people to just go somewhere else. If that's the case, they need to put their barrier on their own parcel, IMO. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

It would be interesting to see a photo with the bunch o'trees derendered to show how it was before the gardening commenced.

It's a clone region, and it just so happens that the person who owns the clone plot has 0 objects out right now:

ce93f42f390df860a000f9525d641e9c.jpg

I actually did not realize how much was covered until right now.

I've still left it alone. The risk of ARing that is either that they do in response or they leave and someone who's build actually bothers folks moves in... I think the only person who's view it might block is the one south of them... and for them it would block only some rare angles.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I can't stop looking at that pic; the flag is bigger than the house! 

Now that I think of it... maybe this is just the local "Bellisseria DMV office." Government buildings out here have silly tall flags like that...

Is there an EXTREMELY bored person sitting at a desk inside?

(DMV stands for 'Department of Motor Vehicles')

• Haha 2

• Moles
55 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Shakes fist at Mole who builds a skybox under 2000m !!! :P

I soooo want to rez a balloon on a string above it to hold it up..., and the put a chair and telescope in there. :)

These are probably on EVERY region right... and I'm just -this- late to noticing... O.o

making me wonder if I could script a pair of boots that threw me at an angle and speed based on how I clicked and how long I held... and then make a game of launching oneself between them and trying to land 'just right'... Years ago in a class on 'Games made with Flash' we had a professor obsessed with 'platformers' so we had a class project to make something like that in 2D.

It's not a skybox, and it's an object set to LDPW on LDPW land, not an object belonging to a resident on a resident-owned parcel.    The positioning for the platforms and rezzers was, as I recall, decided months before we wrote the Covenant.   And yes, it's on every region.   

I could ask about moving them but I know our priority is to develop more themes and release more regions, so that task would be added to the ever-growing list of planned improvements to Bellissaria when we've released as many regions as are needed, and it would have quite a low priority even when that time arrives, since the list already contains several things we really wanted to do when we we've been working on the existing regions but didn't have time for.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8

1 minute ago, Quartz Mole said:

It's not a skybox ... And yes, it's on every region.   

I could ask about moving them but I know our priority is to develop more themes and release more regions ...

I look at things like this as little easter eggs to try and find.

Little fragments left over from the creation of the place. Find them, and see if we can have a little fun with them.

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.