Cost Of Name Changes Out Of The Bag

Jimbo Mimulus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, AislynDream said:

The contest form says they won't be re-using old names. Does that mean ALL of these names won't be an option to use this time? 

Sorry if this was asked already!

You are presented with the old style name chooser - type a name, select last from a list. No names that have already been used will be offered, there will be no point in adding an old names to the list as all the good names will have been picked way back when.

• Like 1

The amount they are asking is too pricey for me personally. My opinion. That means they won't be getting my business in at least that regards because I'm on a budget that I stick to. We all have a choice in whether we are willing to pay for it or not. I'm choosing not to.

I don't agree with the amount, but I also would never begrudge others who will find it a fair amount. I did really wish for a surname until I found out I couldn't choose to have my hubby's surname since old names won't be an option. That's fine because I still have my display name option and I will certainly be keeping my money.

i really am happy for those who will find this option useful. That is what counts after all. Not every product or service is going to appeal to everyone. Which is totally fine. I'm pleased it will at least help some.

at this time the only name I would be tempted to pay for today, if I could, is Mews. Assuming I could change from Mollymews to Molly Mews.  When change names does come in and I can't then oh! well

i could change my mind tho when I see what is on the list. I will wait and see.  I could be Molly Rapinoe tho. That kinda flows quite nicely

or Molly Magnificent. Umm! umm! Molly Maggot ? Umm! no!. Molly Overdose ?! ummmm! no. Molly Maybe ?! ummm! maybe.  Molly Magpie ?!  ummm! pinch your shinies I might.  Molly Magdalene ?! Umm! I could be that. Mollly Miggins ?! umm! yes maybe.  Molly Milady ?! umm! nah.  Molly Moonshine ?! ummm! hic!

toooo many choices!  I need a lie down

22 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I think some long term couples and family groups might choose to change to have the same name. RP clans too. Founding a named dynasty? It could happen.

At $40 a pop .. $50 if the avatar isn't already premium? That's going to get stupid expensive real fast for family & clan groups.

Single name accounts cost nothing. $50 per person buys plenty of avatar and outfit ...

15 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

at this time the only name I would be tempted to pay for today, if I could, is Mews. Assuming I could change from Mollymews to Molly Mews.  When change names does come in and I can't then oh! well

i could change my mind tho when I see what is on the list. I will wait and see.  I could be Molly Rapinoe tho. That kinda flows quite nicely

or Molly Magnificent. Umm! umm! Molly Maggot ? Umm! no!. Molly Overdose ?! ummmm! no. Molly Maybe ?! ummm! maybe.  Molly Magpie ?!  ummm! pinch your shinies I might.  Molly Magdalene ?! Umm! I could be that. Mollly Miggins ?! umm! yes maybe.  Molly Milady ?! umm! nah.  Molly Moonshine ?! ummm! hic!

Mo Mews like “Yo, can’t we get some mo mews up in here”. Think kittens everywhere mewing loudly.

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I really do wish they would have a requirement that the new first names can’t start or end with a number though. Carter1 or 1992Carter is an offence to the eyes. C4rt3r I can handle 😂

that is the way the generated user names are always done as far as I know.. lilkim, lilkim1, lilkim2, lilkim345

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

I do not think overdose is a very nice suggestion. It is very insensitive actually.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cosmic Starfall said:

On the name contest post Linden Lab wrote;

"It will be possible to change First Name, Last Name, or both. "

Does this mean we can keep our old last name and change only our first name?

I would presume this is a combination options

1. Type in new first name, keep 'resident' as last name .. therefore, no last visible name. pimpgrease69 resident -> steve resident aka steve
  2. Type in existing first name, select a new last name from the list. cosmic oldname -> cosmic newlastname
  3. Type in new firstname, select a new last name from the list. snotty oldbie -> fancypants newlastname

I'm not sure if an existing, non 'resident' last name would be select able in the list .. that would make the list very very long. My understanding is that this wont be an option.

We know for certain you wont be able to pick a name anyone has ever had before. So even if you can keep your legacy lastname and just pick a new firstname, your options will be limited as every name claimed back in the day won't be available.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if you're allowed to enter the last names competition more than once? I've gone through the rules of the contest and can't find anything referring to that. I've got dozens of ideas for last names...

(I also can't find any way to contact the Lindens to ask this question, but that's another matter).

3 minutes ago, Zipe Kirkorian said:

Does anyone know if you're allowed to enter the last names competition more than once? I've gone through the rules of the contest and can't find anything referring to that. I've got dozens of ideas for last names...

(I also can't find any way to contact the Lindens to ask this question, but that's another matter).

If it helps I entered about 40 times 😅

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

just turning your remarkt the other way round gives the answer ... there is no reason at all to compare those rates.

Because they do it, LL should do that too, is nó reason.

I disagree. This is a different kind of comparing. Its more along the lines of comparing a price range, that has established itself as a sort of "standart" to LL price, that is far off from it. Many would be more accepting of it, if it wouldn't just look like unreasonable greed. Especially considering there is no other way of getting a lastname now.

Edit: But lets not fight about that. I'm in a similar situation as Sukkubia (only difference I like my main accounts name). I would have loved to get my male alt a lastname, but not for 40$ + another premium subscription. Others may, of course, be fine with that.

Edited by Syo Emerald
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

At $40 a pop .. $50 if the avatar isn't already premium? That's going to get stupid expensive real fast for family & clan groups.

It’s just the kind of ‘extra’ thing that’s not so expensive as to be considered completely out of reach like the $500 per year customized last name is for most average users, but just expensive and showy enough that I bet a decent amount of people will use it that way. Especially if LL ever runs a special on it. That in addition to the people who use it to get the ‘Resident’ off. Same way IMVU people get the ‘Guest_’ tag off.  I wonder how LL will handle names in new account creation once last names are set up again? A bundle with a quarterly or 6 month premium prepaid subscription? ‘Resident’ last name still free but offer an option to purchase a last name from the current active list? Free last names once again for new signups because there’s no account conversion work to be done? 

7 hours ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

I will pay for a full name change but only if it makes my old name unknown so it is like starting again with a new avatar but all my inventory intact. Will people be able to see what your old name used to be?

Kinda. There's no built-in way to start from your new name and discover your old name. If, however, someone knows your old name, they will be able to (easily) find out what new name you're going by at the moment.

What's unknown is whether some third-party will catalog all the old names by key. If that data were collected and stored, it could be searched the way the old w-hat database was used to do grid-wide name-to-key for almost all avatars (commonly accessed by scripts before the official llRequestUserKey() was introduced last year).

That existing database represents a substantial start in the data needed. So if somebody stores all that data and makes it publicly searchable, then anybody will be able to find your old name (and possibly some history of intermediate name changes, if any).

I guess obviously, there's nothing the Lab could do about this, short of changing your UUID along with your name, which would need an enormous change in how practically everything works (notably including DRM permissions; in fact, I'm not even sure that would be legal).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

What's unknown is whether some third-party will catalog all the old names by key

As you note, there are a lot of old services of that type around.  Just put in your search engine: name2key database

Edited by Desiree Moonwinder

Just now, Desiree Moonwinder said:

There are a lot of old services of that type around.  Just put in your search engine: name2key database

Right. Some are more complete and up-to-date than others, but yeah.

Also, to clarify what I confusingly said: these databases have the right data (however current) but the existing API is backwards for this new use. These databases currently return a key based on name, but this historical name lookup wants a name based on key. Depending how the data are stored, this could be trivial. And anyway, the secret sauce is that huge data collection effort that's already done.

58 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I wonder how LL will handle names in new account creation once last names are set up again? A bundle with a quarterly or 6 month premium prepaid subscription? ‘Resident’ last name still free but offer an option to purchase a last name from the current active list? Free last names once again for new signups because there’s no account conversion work to be done? 

quite a few things are possible while we are waiting for Linden

i think the ability to choose a last name will likely be included in the Super Premium package whenever that comes. As a bonus I think, like the 1000L Premium signup bonus. A one time gimme

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.