Jump to content

How are you feeling today?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Well... we made it a week without springing another gusher. That was 4 days ago. So now, or rather this weekend, the whole place is getting replumbed and hopefully the old water heater hooked back up if there isn't enough time before Monday to get the new one in and hooked up.

Day 4 without running water...

This work from home thing is never going to end is it. cut.gif.31100900e03d43be41c12392dfe735a5.gif

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's 2 a.m. Thursday morning and I just got home.* Y'all are gonna be so jealous when you learn that I got to go to THE best place to go during a pandemic...

The Emergency Room at the hospital! What could go wrong? Yeesh. 

First, I'm mostly ok. I thought I might have appendicitis. They mostly think that I don't. Mostly. I was in very bad shape when I made the decision to go to the ER. I decided I wasn't fit to drive, even though I don't live too far away, so I went by ambulance. One of the EMTs was one of the ones who scraped me off the concrete when I fell and broke my arm, so we caught up. I'm making a friend?  I went to the ER around 7 pm Wednesday, so do the math that it is 2 when I got home.

Part of that is: I arrived by ambulance, alone. I didn't have anyone to pick me up when I was discharged. No big deal, I'd just get a cab... Ruh Roh... there are no cabs working in this small town because of the pandemic. I did get home but it involved getting a cab from a town 20 miles away... Yeah. No. Yeah.

I did get totally stoned on morphine and that was fun. I think I was amusing the techs who did the CT scan. And, y'all... that hospital had REAL toilet paper! On rolls! Like... I'd forgotten what those looked like!

There were a lot of possibilities for what this episode could be. I was smart to go in. I'm glad I didn't have to have surgery. The weird thing is, I was kind of mad that it wasn't in need of surgery, ya know? Like I had "wasted" a trip. Brains are weird.

*Ok, I just got home and typed this after I showered, washed washed washed, burned (not literally) my clothes, cleaned the door handles... I went from being probably the lowest risk person in the world for getting COVID to walking into the lion's den. 

ffs

  • Sad 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

*Ok, I just got home and typed this after I showered, washed washed washed, burned (not literally) my clothes, cleaned the door handles... I went from being probably the lowest risk person in the world for getting COVID to walking into the lion's den. 

Reading your post I couldn't get "Aerosmith's - Living On The Edge" out of my head.  

i hope the pain subsides and it is nothing serious.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

minor irritation cannot take anything away from it being a lovely spring day, when I can open up the windows and thoroughly air out the place. Even laundry isn't so hateful a task when I can hang it out to dry on a day like this. 

On my "feelgood todo list" today, learn a couple of  Stan Rogers songs that have been on my "Get an arrangement nailed down for these..." list for far too long. ("Giant" and "Song of the Candle" if you must know)

 

That minor irritation? The  result of a livechat last night with a wonderfully helpful customer service lass apologizing to me for the delay in shipping my new motherboard and offering me a discounted "equivalent or better" that they had in stock and were prepared to ship overnight. Unfortunately I had to explain to her that no substitute that didn't have the same RAID chipset as the one I ordered, the same chipset as the one it was intended to replace, was acceptable. I do have backups but restoring a couple of terabytes of backups in the event that I can't plug my disks into the same RAID setup and have their volumes recognized by the BIOS was very much a suboptimal solution. The end result? "Ok, well I can tell you that we'll either be able to ship the one you ordered tomorrow or in 4-6 business days. Our supply chain is a bit of a mess right now. Either way I've upgraded your order to overnight shipping at no cost to you...." It's not ideal, hence the irritation, but I can live with that, hence it being minor.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took my eye off the ball today.  5 weeks in lockdown and the youngest child had his first moment where it all got to him.  He came in from where he was doing the online school work and just looked at me before jumping onto my lap for a cuddle.  Never easy with a skinny 14 year old all arms and legs like a baby giraffe.    We talked over why are in lockdown (again)  He gets it.  He listed all the things he misses; his friends (though they all talk constantly online every night), school,  going to the sweet shop,  days out, chippy tea....   So I turned off the pc, made a picnic lunch, grabbed some lolly ices and off we went to the garden.  I think it helped.  We laughed and chatted.  Oddly when I spoke to some friends in our whatsapp group they all said their children of varying ages were feeling similar today and weren't doing school stuff but other more fun distracting things.  He is now happily playing on nis nintendo switch for a while before we go out and check our seedlings we planted a couple of weeks ago.  Obviously I feel crap for plodding along thinking we were all doing ok.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

 I think it helped.  We laughed and chatted.  Obviously I feel crap for plodding along thinking we were all doing ok.

You did good, mom. No doubt about that.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Took my eye off the ball today.  5 weeks in lockdown and the youngest child had his first moment where it all got to him.  He came in from where he was doing the online school work and just looked at me before jumping onto my lap for a cuddle.  Never easy with a skinny 14 year old all arms and legs like a baby giraffe.    We talked over why are in lockdown (again)  He gets it.  He listed all the things he misses; his friends (though they all talk constantly online every night), school,  going to the sweet shop,  days out, chippy tea....   So I turned off the pc, made a picnic lunch, grabbed some lolly ices and off we went to the garden.  I think it helped.  We laughed and chatted.  Oddly when I spoke to some friends in our whatsapp group they all said their children of varying ages were feeling similar today and weren't doing school stuff but other more fun distracting things.  He is now happily playing on nis nintendo switch for a while before we go out and check our seedlings we planted a couple of weeks ago.  Obviously I feel crap for plodding along thinking we were all doing ok.

 

unnamed.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

This work from home thing is never going to end is it. cut.gif.31100900e03d43be41c12392dfe735a5.gif

 

Sometimes I feel that's true.  But, we will eventually acclimate to a new normal.  It won't ever be the way it was before.  Just like the whole Free Sex Movement (phenomena for dates between the 50s when birth control pills were suddenly available and the 80s when Aids arrived)  was never the same after Aids, the COVID19 plague will change the way world is.  But people will get used to it. I don't think people shaking hands is going to come back into style. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

But people will get used to it. I don't think people shaking hands is going to come back into style. 

Men. An aggressive strong handshake is a sign of their manliness. Handshaking isn't going to stop for that very reason. It's the caveman in them. 

Personally, I think there will be more physical contact once we finally get the all clear. I'm going to hug everyone I see... even strangers. Hug 'em right into my bosom. I'm hoping we're all sort of learning to maybe appreciate each other a little more. 

Today is an oogie day. Cold and rainy and dark. Both cats threw up after snarfing down their breakfast. I just want to crawl back into bed and start all over with some sunshine. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Men. An aggressive strong handshake is a sign of their manliness. Handshaking isn't going to stop for that very reason. It's the caveman in them. 

I've been doing my bit to help my fellow Y-chromosomes evolve. The knuckle-busting handshake has always irritated the F outta me, and being a geek (and looking like one for most of my life) it had been something I had to learn to deal with. And then I realized that all that martial arts stuff had, in fact, showed me where all the pressure points in a hand were and all I needed to do was move my thumb a little and trying the knucklebuster on me would hurt... After that I can honestly say nobody has ever tried to squish my paw more than once. I'm happy to contribute their learning experiences to the general population

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

An aggressive strong handshake is a sign of their manliness. Handshaking isn't going to stop for that very reason. It's the caveman in them.

Funny you say that : usually those I see shaking hands are men in power reluctant to be cavemen themselves , but all to willing to send others to their deaths.

Maybe obligatory saluting will become a trend again. :|

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before someone clonks me on the head, I love men and all the manly-manosity that goes along with being a man.

And I freaking hate a limp handshake from anyone no matter the gender. There is an art to a good handshake. A nice firm, confident grip... RAWR!

The worst handshake I've even been part of was with my state's former governor, the exceeding awful and slimy Matt Bevin. Grotesquely weak and clammy handshake. It still gives me the icks thinking about it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Before someone clonks me on the head, I love men and all the manly-manosity that goes along with being a man.

And I freaking hate a limp handshake from anyone no matter the gender. There is an art to a good handshake. A nice firm, confident grip... RAWR!

The worst handshake I've even been part of was with my state's former governor, the exceeding awful and slimy Matt Bevin. Grotesquely weak and clammy handshake. It still gives me the icks thinking about it. 

I regularly went to the Wisconsin State Fair during my youth. On one outing, State Senator William Proxmire was shaking people's hands as they entered one of the many agricultural display tents (now rigid structures). I was busily consuming a giant sloppy pickle on a stick held in my right hand. I showed it to Proxmire as I approached, but he was nonplussed. I switched the pickle to my left hand and soaked his right in brine.

He did have a very pleasant handshake.

 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Obviously I feel crap for plodding along thinking we were all doing ok.

Kids are odd and sometimes adapt easily to stuff and then sometimes flip out when least expected -- especially teenagers.  Don't ever beat yourself up for stuff like that.  Just live and learn - the joys (and oddities) of raising teenagers - especially in these odd times.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Kids are odd and sometimes adapt easily to stuff and then sometimes flip out when least expected -- especially teenagers.  Don't ever beat yourself up for stuff like that.  Just live and learn - the joys (and oddities) of raising teenagers - especially in these odd times.

Remember being a teenager? I would live through this freaking quarantine a thousand times over before I'd go back to being a teen again. My moods fluctuated then much more than they do during menopause... and menopause is pretty bad!

So, yes, @Cindy Evanier... no beating yourself up. Teenagers are indecipherable even to themselves.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Beth Macbain said:

Remember being a teenager? I would live through this freaking quarantine a thousand times over before I'd go back to being a teen again. My moods fluctuated then much more than they do during menopause... and menopause is pretty bad!

Yes - ABSOLUTELY WORST time of my life.  I would never want to relive those days, for any reason, for any amount of money.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LunaRavencroft said:

- Handshakes? Sure, they can be nice except when they hurt your hand. I'd rather not participate. 

Had a guy do that to me once. Kinda leader of the pack-thing. It was unexpected to me.

He must have felt the same way about my left-hook as I walked away.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 437 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...