What if you woke up tomorrow, and SL had vanished?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 8/5/2019 at 1:59 AM, Fritigern Gothly said:

Nothing lasts forever, and one day, SL too will close its doors (let's hope that will be many decades away!).

So, economics and finances aside, have you even considered what that such an event would mean to you personally?

Does SL play such an important role in your life that it would leave a huge hole in your life, or would it merely be a nuisance which is quickly shaken off?

Also, would you try and find a replacement for SL? Something like Sansar, Horizons, Sinewave or any such worlds, or would you get your SL-like fix by diving into one or more OpenSim grids?

Personally, I think I would try and find an OpenSim grid which will be popular amongst content creators, and where creators have found a refuge after the future closure of SL. I can't imagine wanting to be in any other type of virtual world. SL/OpenSim offers so much to creators and residents, I have not seen anything similar anywhere else.

Don't you think that if SL itself disappeared, Open Sim would be not far behind? I have been to all those other worlds and didn't care for them much in part because they didn't have old, familiar places I have owned or built or visited or shared for 14 years in SL. So if SL went away, I don't think it would be that compelling to go and try to work from scratch unless a significant number of content creators and potential renters might show up in that other place, but I don't know if I would have the stamina to start over, having done this twice, first with The Sims Online, then SL. 

I think then I would rather go and work on a novel or my memoirs or writing political blogs or something in that vein if I couldn't have the inventory and land and connections to people I had in SL. Sad, but then, not unlike the end of college or the death of your parents or a divorce or a move to a new house or any big life change.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

13 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I think then I would rather go and work on a novel or my memoirs or writing political blogs or something in that vein if I couldn't have the inventory and land and connections to people I had in SL. Sad, but then, not unlike the end of college or the death of your parents or a divorce or a move to a new house or any big life change.

It would really be very very different to the deaths of your parents. 

Just now, Prokofy Neva said:

I guess "not unlike" doesn't get across to you very well. 

Indeed. It's a very gentle phrase that fails to get across to me how vastly different losing one's parents is to losing a virtual sandbox, or even moving house and finishing uni. 

In my lifetime, I have had my grandparents, parents, child, friends, relatives, close neighbours all die. So I don't speak idly. I imagine you have not had anything remotely like the experiences I have had (especially with the death of an infant). I realize your gunning to somehow shame me or coerce me into writing something different but I won't be doing that. SL is something I've invested a lot of time and effort in. If it stopped tomorrow, indeed this would be a great life change *not unlike* the death of a person, the loss of a job or home or whatever. A *life change*. If you find that somehow frivolous, that's fine but as I said, I won't be changing what I write. I don't take to moral brow-beating.

36 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

In my lifetime, I have had my grandparents, parents, child, friends, relatives, close neighbours all die. So I don't speak idly. I imagine you have not had anything remotely like the experiences I have had (especially with the death of an infant). I realize your gunning to somehow shame me or coerce me into writing something different but I won't be doing that. SL is something I've invested a lot of time and effort in. If it stopped tomorrow, indeed this would be a great life change *not unlike* the death of a person, the loss of a job or home or whatever. A *life change*. If you find that somehow frivolous, that's fine but as I said, I won't be changing what I write. I don't take to moral brow-beating.

No, I'm saying I think you made a clumsy comparison. That's not "moral brow beating" or "coercion", though it's interesting that you see it that way. And I know you've made inaccurate assumptions about me. But it's not Grief Olympics and not actually even relevant to this discussion (how many relatives does someone have to lose to gain the right to dislike your comparison?) so I'm not going to stoke that one.

I do not think that losing SL can be likened to the deaths of immediate family members. You're free to make the comparison, I'm free to find it "frivolous".

It actually didn't cross my mind that you might "change" what you wrote. At best, I suppose I hoped you might have said something along the lines of "Yeah, actually, that was a bit silly. But you know what I mean." Which I do, but still...it was clumsy.

Edited by Amina Sopwith

3 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

No, I'm saying I think you made a clumsy comparison. That's not "moral brow beating" or "coercion", though it's interesting that you see it that way. And I know you've made inaccurate assumptions about me. But it's not Grief Olympics and not actually even relevant to this discussion (how many relatives does someone have to lose to gain the right to dislike your comparison?) so I'm not going to stoke that one.

I do not think that losing SL can be likened to the deaths of immediate family members. You're free to make the comparison, I'm free to find it "frivolous".

It actually didn't cross my mind that you might "change" what you wrote. At best, I suppose I hoped you might have said something along the lines of "Yeah, actually, that was a bit silly. But you know what I mean." Which I do, but still...it was clumsy.

Walk away. Just walk away. It's not worth it.

Anyone who refuses to allow tenants to be able to ban a griefer form the parcel they rent isn't going to understand. It took years for them to get the necessity but by then it was way too late. We were long gone and never looked back.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 1:59 AM, Fritigern Gothly said:

Nothing lasts forever, and one day, SL too will close its doors (let's hope that will be many decades away!).

So, economics and finances aside, have you even considered what that such an event would mean to you personally?

Does SL play such an important role in your life that it would leave a huge hole in your life, or would it merely be a nuisance which is quickly shaken off?

Also, would you try and find a replacement for SL? Something like Sansar, Horizons, Sinewave or any such worlds, or would you get your SL-like fix by diving into one or more OpenSim grids?

Personally, I think I would try and find an OpenSim grid which will be popular amongst content creators, and where creators have found a refuge after the future closure of SL. I can't imagine wanting to be in any other type of virtual world. SL/OpenSim offers so much to creators and residents, I have not seen anything similar anywhere else.

I think there would be alot of depressed people! I know I make some money there so that would suck losing that, but it would be really bad for all the content creators and land owners etc...

And alot of horny bored housewives would need to find a new outlet! :)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I think there would be alot of depressed people! I know I make some money there so that would suck losing that, but it would be really bad for all the content creators and land owners etc...

Stereo type much? 9_9

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

Some of the musicians that play in world would miss it too. Good medium to do some gigs between the RL ones.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:27 AM, Amina Sopwith said:

It's not clumsy. It reflects a truth for many people. If it isn't your truth, perhaps look again. The "Grief Olympics" is exactly what you entered into, when you began to complain about some moral lapse on my part (pretending it's a "clumsy comparison"). "Not unlike" is not "like" or "likened to". 

Perhaps you are uneasy about SL in general as something "frivolous" -- many people have this worry and feel they can be shamed by others for wasting time in a virtual world. But that's on you. 

You're welcome to have the last word, as this is truly a stupid hypothetical discussion that you decided to get preachy about due to your own apprehensions.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's not clumsy. It reflects a truth for many people. If it isn't your truth, perhaps look again. The "Grief Olympics" is exactly what you entered into, when you began to complain about some moral lapse on my part (pretending it's a "clumsy comparison"). "Not unlike" is not "like" or "likened to". 

Perhaps you are uneasy about SL in general as something "frivolous" -- many people have this worry and feel they can be shamed by others for wasting time in a virtual world. But that's on you. 

You're welcome to have the last word, as this is truly a stupid hypothetical discussion that you decided to get preachy about due to your own apprehensions.

Three days ago, you said something ridiculous. Try to forget about it. I had.

10 hours ago, chardonay Babii said:

Mine will be ending after 12 years  before the end of this week and I will concentrate on my Uni degree without a computer  game distraction

concentrating on obtaining a university degree is a good use of time. I wish you all the best in doing this :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

concentrating on obtaining a university degree is a good use of time. I wish you all the best in doing this :)

SL is a good procrastination tool that  has proven so far invaluable to avoid doing tasks like reading boring texts  I must do lol. Like the reading I must do now.

1 minute ago, chardonay Babii said:

SL is a good procrastination tool that  has proven so far invaluable to avoid doing tasks like reading boring texts  I must do lol. Like the reading I must do now.

best then to pick a major that is not boring to you as a subject in itself. Like whether we formal study it or not, is still interesting

and yes, some of the required reading can be a bit slow going sometimes. But as long as your major is of interest to you then it all works out. Interesting enough to keep you turning up until complete

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.