What if you woke up tomorrow, and SL had vanished?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nothing lasts forever, and one day, SL too will close its doors (let's hope that will be many decades away!).

So, economics and finances aside, have you even considered what that such an event would mean to you personally?

Does SL play such an important role in your life that it would leave a huge hole in your life, or would it merely be a nuisance which is quickly shaken off?

Also, would you try and find a replacement for SL? Something like Sansar, Horizons, Sinewave or any such worlds, or would you get your SL-like fix by diving into one or more OpenSim grids?

Personally, I think I would try and find an OpenSim grid which will be popular amongst content creators, and where creators have found a refuge after the future closure of SL. I can't imagine wanting to be in any other type of virtual world. SL/OpenSim offers so much to creators and residents, I have not seen anything similar anywhere else.

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, anna2358 said:

I went to Opensim, it was empty.  (after WC Fields)

Did you check all of it? There are more sims there than in SL and there is no user stats available for it as a whole.  ;)

But yes, it doesn't have anything near the user numbers SL can brag about of course.

25 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Also, would you try and find a replacement for SL? Something like Sansar, Horizons, Sinewave or any such worlds, or would you get your SL-like fix by diving into one or more OpenSim grids?

I'd probably spend a little bit more time on opensim grids but most of the time I saved I would have spent in Real Life. I wouldn't even seriously consider anything else.

• Like 1

I tried opensim about 9 years ago and even back then by SL standards it was pretty blah.  

I think I would be annoyed with myself for all the money I spent over the years intangible digital things.  

then I'd be thankful for friendship sided made and thankful for the ones that had crossed over into real life so that I didn't lose track of them. 

Then I probably flip on the TV slowly forget about SL.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1

Maybe the forum would survive beyond SL. Or maybe some tech savvy person would put a post-SL forum out there so we could chat and reminisce.

The only certainty is that nothing lasts forever.

I'm only 14 months in, but I would miss everything about it.

• Like 1

I'd be sad and maybe even depressed knowing there will never be another environment like Second Life. Yes, there's stuff like Sansar and VRChat but neither feel or attract the same crowd as SL.

On the positive side I'd save myself countless dollars from not being able to buy lindens anymore. That or I would find something else to waste my money on.

• Like 2

At one point I'd have felt completely lost and struggled far, far more than I should have done. Now, I'd feel a bit wistful, and sad for the loss of so much creativity and interaction, but it definitely wouldn't affect my life in any demonstrable way. I'm barely inworld these days, spend far more time here.

4 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Nothing lasts forever, and one day, SL too will close its doors (let's hope that will be many decades away!).

So, economics and finances aside, have you even considered what that such an event would mean to you personally?

Does SL play such an important role in your life that it would leave a huge hole in your life, or would it merely be a nuisance which is quickly shaken off?

Personally, I think I would try and find an OpenSim grid which will be popular amongst content creators, and where creators have found a refuge after the future closure of SL. I can't imagine wanting to be in any other type of virtual world. SL/OpenSim offers so much to creators and residents, I have not seen anything similar anywhere else.

Time to either start my own grid, or work full-time on my game.

4 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Did you check all of it? There are more sims there than in SL and there is no user stats available for it as a whole.  ;)

To be quite honest, once I got there I couldn't find anything, never mind 'my way around'.  Maybe I'm just too thick for it.

2 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

To be quite honest, once I got there I couldn't find anything, never mind 'my way around'.  Maybe I'm just too thick for it.

I have never found it easy.  There are websites like opensimworld   and  hyperica  where people list places to visit  and that can be fun.  Mostly we just stick on our own closed region and Ki builds while I make pretty spots with free stuff and his builds which is actually fun and an achievement for me.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I'd be devastated. So much good work gets done in-world in ways with which out-world cannot compare. 

Suddenly I have an urge to spend the day photographing every square meter of Second Life to preserve it.

Personally I believe that, short of a wholesale physical disaster, SL won't just simply vanish but, maybe rather, evolve (suddenly or gradually) into something new.  I hope, anyway; rather than simply vanishing. I can't bear to think of it.

• Like 1

I expect SL will not disappearing completely for ages. At some point there will be hardly anyone left playing it because there will be new/better alternatives. Unless LL goes bankrupt for some reason, they can downscale it to stay in range with the demands and income generated.

But in the theoretical case that it would happen, in the past I would think it would be devastating. But have to say, after getting a perma ban on all my accounts bout a year ago (got undone two days after), I made peace with having lost everything and quitting rather easy after the initial schock. Its a matter of perspective I guess.

I would mostly hate not being able to say goodby to a lot of people. But my closest friends I can contact through other ways, and together pick a new platform to inhabit.

• Like 3

I worry that LL will dig itself into a debt hole with the Sansar money drain and go bankrupt. SL is profitable, but Sansar generates zero revenue and is draining substantial development resources.

(LL is funding Sansar from their own revenue, and, perhaps, debt. Their last external equity round was in 2006, according to Crunchbase.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Long story, but in very short it came down to owning an adult entertainment sim, and having a griever in child avi doing a (false) report. 

Ugh. Glad you got it sorted. I've often wondered how owners of adult sims deal with that. I've actually never seen a child av in an inappropriate place, but obviously it's going to happen.

Like someone else said, it would just free up time and money for other things. At one point I would have been devastated, as SL meant a lot to me and kept me going. Now, though, it is just something I like to do, but often keeps me from doing other more intellectually-engaging and growth-promoting things because it so easy to mess about in SL, and there are so many distractions (partially because doing anything in SL is tedious and takes forever, lol). So kind of a bad habit at this point, and having it get broken would not be a bad thing. I have tried some of the other options over the years, and none come close to what I want, so unless something new got launched, I would not move to another online world.

• Like 1

in the normal event of SL not being here tomorrow morning it will be because we have all gone somewhere else. To some SL but better world

in the abnormal event, SL just disappeared with us still in it, then I would be a bit sad for a while. Then find somewhere else to go on eventually. I would still keep going on my little local OS world in the meantime as I do now

I thought opensim was essentially still SL? It seemed like it the times I checked it out. Nevermind my ignorance. I just thought if SL "closed", it would there too.

I came to SL when TSO (the sims online) was breathing its last gasps of breath before closing. I'm a gamer and love my MMOs, but I "need" something else that imitates life, and that includes other people. So if SL was gone, I'd migrate to another platform like it. There will always be something, of that I'm sure.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1704 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.