Tilia takes over

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

And LL just made this announcement in the official thread so they apparently finally woke up about one thing.

Q:
Will EVERYONE who uses Second Life have to agree to the new Tilia TOS and Privacy Policy - or just those who use credit processing in USD?

A: Only those who have a USD wallet need to consent to Tilia’s ToS. If you have a USD wallet, these will be presented to you when you log in to your SL account on the web.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

And LL just made this announcement in the official thread so they apperanlt finally woke up about oen thing.

ahh so basically everyone cashing out - or canceling a limit buy (or maybe everyone using limit buy as you have a USD balance bound in the buying process)

Edited by Fionalein

3 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

ahh so basically everyone cashing out - or canceling a limit buy (or maybe everyone iusing limit buy a s you have a USD balance bound in the buying process)

Yes, anyone who cashes out. Those of us who do not cash out/withdraw do not have to agree to the Tillia ToS.

Sometimes we AREN'T just tilting at windmills. I was very happy to see this post just now. 

Adding now that I see it worked. 

The WALLET system is used on Sansar and has been this last year and a bit before. So for now (this is my assumption) the USD balance in your account will convert to "wallet" after August 1. As someone posted on the FAQ thread there is more to this with only EARNED dollars being able to be sent to Paypal (same as in Sansar).  More will be explained at the town hall, but in my mind this make MUCH more sense than having EVERYONE sign a Tilia TOS.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 3

Since LL stated in that latest response on their Official Tilia FAQ forum they are looking over these other Tilia-related fora for feedback... Thank YOU!

Separating zero-balance US$ residents out of the Tilia ToS acceptance is a huge relief and takes care of the second set of questions I posted on that forum. The third set I posted no longer applies to me personally since this latest announcement, but still might for those who have to face the choice regarding the Tilia ToS.

As a linux user without the ability to hear the Tilia Town Hall Meeting, I will not be attending (to free up one more seat for someone who can) but I look forward to reading the transcript of the meeting when it becomes available.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DilliDallagio said:

Since LL stated in that latest response on their Official Tilia FAQ forum they are looking over these other Tilia-related fora for feedback... Thank YOU!

Separating zero-balance US$ residents out of the Tilia ToS acceptance is a huge relief and takes care of the second set of questions I posted on that forum. The third set I posted no longer applies to me personally since this latest announcement, but still might for those who have to face the choice regarding the Tilia ToS.

As a linux user without the ability to hear the Tilia Town Hall Meeting, I will not be attending (to free up one more seat for someone who can) but I look forward to reading the transcript of the meeting when it becomes available.

If you cannot hear thanks to Voice .... You have to symbolic link one of the libraries to trick your viewer into thinking it has the right (outdated) version.

That library is libidn. It has to be tricked into believing it is both an older version (newest is 1.2, the version it needs to pretend to be is 1.1) and named differently (libidn11). It should work then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fionalein said:

Voice doesn't work for you? Worked fine for me yesterday.

For whatever reason the Vivox binary crashes as soon as the viewer starts (Cool VL Viewer, 1.25.22.53 and 1.26.23.6). Running ldd shows it cannot find the libidn1 32-bit library on the system even though the two distros I use have newer versions of that lib installed. Apparently, and I am not a programmer, the newer library is not recognized by the Vivox binary.

Firestorm crashes to desktop and Kokua leaves me with single digit FPS performance.

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

If you cannot hear thanks to Voice .... You have to symbolic link one of the libraries to trick your viewer into thinking it has the right (outdated) version.

That library is libidn. It has to be tricked into believing it is both an older version (newest is 1.2, the version it needs to pretend to be is 1.1) and named differently (libidn11). It should work then.

Thank you. Will give that a try but since I have other apps opened (trying to do some real work) I will not be able to play with it until later this evening. But I will give it a try. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DilliDallagio said:

Thank you. Will give that a try but since I have other apps opened (trying to do some real work) I will not be able to play with it until later this evening. But I will give it a try. :)

Not a problem. If it were not for a roomie, I'd not have gotten it working.

3 minutes ago, DilliDallagio said:

An insane but impromptu possible solution would be to enter and listen to the livestream on YT (I hope there will be one)- you will have some delay but as  long as you don't ask questions...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

An insane but impromptu possible solution would be to enter and listen to the livestream on YT (I hope there will be one)- you will have some delay but as  long as you don't ask questions...

Thank you. Inara (I think it was her) mentioned it might be live-streamed at another location as well so that is a good idea. If it happens, I will be watching/listening. :)

43 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Sometimes we AREN'T just tilting at windmills. I was very happy to see this post just now.

This is super good news, and will go a long way to making the transition to Tilia much more acceptable to residents.

Now, I think what they need to do is to 1) demonstrate that they actually are required by law to collect SSNs from those who are transferring money out of SL (which I take it they should be able to do), and 2) provide clear guidance and reassurance for those outside of the US as to what will be required from them.

They also still need to address the PR side of this, and more specifically, how to clearly explain all of this in such a way as to avoid panic and misunderstanding to the bulk of SL residents who are still not aware it's coming. I note that they are still "pruning" the official thread here with a flamethrower, which is not a good sign. Let's hope for everyone's sake they can work out that part of the equation.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, DilliDallagio said:

Town hall meeting sound will be STREAMED not voice.  Announced there.

• Thanks 2

Donald Trump just tweeted on "tokens".

"I am not a fan of Bitcoin and other Cryptocurrencies, which are not money, and whose value is highly volatile and based on thin air. Unregulated Crypto Assets can facilitate unlawful behavior, including drug trade and other illegal activity.

Similarly, Facebook Libra’s “virtual currency” will have little standing or dependability. If Facebook and other companies want to become a bank, they must seek a new Banking Charter and become subject to all Banking Regulations, just like other Banks, both National and International. We have only one real currency in the USA, and it is stronger than ever, both dependable and reliable. It is by far the most dominant currency anywhere in the World, and it will always stay that way. It is called the United States Dollar!"

With this, the SEC actions earlier this week, and reaction to Facebook's new money scheme, Linden Labs/Tilia picked a really bad time to issue an unregulated "token", claim it has no value, and then claim they have no responsibilities for customer assets. The cryptocurrency community has created too many "take the money and run" "coins", and the crackdown has come.

LL / Tilia now needs expensive securities lawyers to figure out how to be compliant. The worse the user terms look, the more likely the SEC will consider it a scam.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, animats said:

"I am not a fan of Bitcoin and other Cryptocurrencies, which are not money, and whose value is highly volatile and based on thin air. Unregulated Crypto Assets can facilitate unlawful behavior, including drug trade and other illegal activity.

Similarly, Facebook Libra’s “virtual currency” will have little standing or dependability. If Facebook and other companies want to become a bank, they must seek a new Banking Charter and become subject to all Banking Regulations, just like other Banks, both National and International. We have only one real currency in the USA, and it is stronger than ever, both dependable and reliable. It is by far the most dominant currency anywhere in the World, and it will always stay that way. It is called the United States Dollar!"

With this, the SEC actions earlier this week, and reaction to Facebook's new money scheme, Linden Labs/Tilia picked a really bad time to issue an unregulated "token", claim it has no value, and then claim they have no responsibilities for customer assets. The cryptocurrency community has created too many "take the money and run" "coins", and the crackdown has come.

LL / Tilia now needs expensive securities lawyers to figure out how to be compliant. The worse the user terms look, the more likely the SEC will consider it a scam.

I would not be surprised at all if Trump follows his friend Xi's example and forbids cryptocurriency trading in the US altogether.

18 minutes ago, animats said:

My understanding was that LL are doing this (presumably on legal advice) as a result of recent changes to the detail of the relevant US "know your customer" regulations, intended to crack down on money-laundering.    The requirements have always applied to people cashing out over a certain level but it was so high that few of us ever hit it.  Now, or so I am told, it applies to all dollar cash-outs, even for $1 US.  

Presumably, too, it simplifies everyone's lives to have a separate company, wholly owned by LL, handling all the financial transactions that attract regulatory oversight.  

• Like 1

Overview and bullet points of Tilia Town Hall

OF COURSE  be sure and watch the event on your own or read the transcript and find out information that may pertain to your situation--  and check my interpretation. The original source is ALWAYS the best source.

My personal Tila questions were all either answered or had become a non-issue before the Town Hall. These are the bullet points that "I" personally found most interesting.   There were about 84 avatars at the meeting including Brett, Grumpity and Patch Linden.  

[Grumpity - not a quote see the transcript or video] Since OKing the Tilia TOS will only be needed by those with a current USD balance, then if people do not want to sign the Tilia TOS, they need to "get rid of their USD balance". 

I had already figured that out and plan to have accounts with a USD current balance (left over from premium payment) process their USD balance to Paypal before August 1 so that they will not have to OK the Tilia TOS (which was my personal end goal). 

[Grumpity - not a quote see the transcript or video] for those that have prepaid their membership on the recent "deal" and have a USD account balance that will not need to be used for over a year, they will not be charged the no activity fee as long as they have a premium membership. Beyond that, all people need to NOT get charged the fee would be to log into the their SL web account.   The fee will be no more than $3.00 US.   [Brett originally stated the $3.00 US fee as the maximum; it depends in part on laws from various areas.

[Grumpity - not a quote see the transcript or video]  Soon it will be easy to tell if you will need to supply personal information -- or MORE personal information for those that have already sent things in.  There will be some indication (like button and or link) that tells you if you are good to transfer credit OR if you will need to supply more information. 

[Brett - not a quote see the transcript or video] Tilia can ONLY be accessed via your SL website account. 

[Patch not a quote see the transcript or video]  There is a POSSIBILITY that people may be able to pay tier or membership directly with linden dollars - - thus keeping away from a US dollar balance.  This is NOT A PROMISE (that part is a quote :D) but something that The Lab is looking at. 

Things went smoothly. Grumpity could use a better microphone I think though -- she was pretty blurry sound wise compared to the very clear fellows.   

• Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Have you asked for help in the support group?

I really need to build the debug version of the viewer to see what the problem is. Only then can I give any meaningful feedback. It might just be a case of incompatible libraries between their target distro (Debian/Ubuntu) and my runtime distros (Tumbleweed & Solus).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.