Tilia takes over

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I'd hazard a guess that at least some LL staff charged with explaining all this didn't have it properly explained to them.  It wouldn't be the first time that happened.

Though I don't get the reason why - we have to accept the Tilea TOS now - why have a no more responsible Linden explain it to us instead of a Tilean?

23 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I really hope that LL gets this all together before August 1.

will probably all work out in time, at least mostly I think

LL have announced a Townhall on Tilia so I think that's a good thing for them to do as a followup to the blog/posts on here

not sure if Grumpity and Patch (who I assume are the lead customer relations officers) are ever going to totally win the customer plain speak debate with the legal department, but never know they may be able to affect some textual changes before August 1st

For those who cant make it to the Town Hall meeting on Tilia,  @Inara Pey said in her blog today, 'I hope to be able to record the meeting and produce a summary with audio after-the-fact.'

FYI:  The meeting will take place on Friday, July 12th  at 13:00 SLT.

It will be attended by:  - Grumpity Linden, Second Life Senior Director of Product.
                                        - Patch Linden, Senior Director of Product Operations.

God bless @Inara Pey.

I do wonder, though, if the burden of recording and reporting on this meeting really should be on her or any other residents equipped to record the event. I suppose the Lab may make a transcript available, too; the blog post doesn't say one way or another. It's kind of important because any meeting schedule will be impossible for the majority of residents to attend.

14 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Though I don't get the reason why - we have to accept the Tilea TOS now - why have a no more responsible Linden explain it to us instead of a Tilean?

I wonder if there are any "Tileans" -- Tilia may be a shell corporation with officers but no employees, only contractors from the Lab's ranks.

• Like 1

Well HAPPILY I took a full copy of BOTH the post that was deleted just in case it got deleted and my post on the FAQ thread. I didn't plan on USING Jeweliette's thoughts without permission of the author. I also took a screenshot of my reply to that post.   There are more QUESTIONS (not chatter) disappearing from the FAQ thread than there are being left in.

I also mysteriously lost about 60 kudos points yesterday so I am going to ASSUME that some post(s) of mine  -- evidently popular -- were removed.   And they wonder why we don't trust.     

I agree. If the FAQ thread isn't really for people to USE and ASK on -- then just close it.  Forget the farce. 

Taking another screenshot LOL. 

@Jeweliette Darkfold

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wanted to be up-front and honest since I had previously stated that there was no mention of Tilia on my blog. That thoughtful and relevant post deletion on the FAQ thread pushed some buttons and I made a short and factual post just now -- mostly links to Town Hall, original August 1 Changes post, Tilia TOS and Privacy statement so that folks could have some background on the subject. 

I am hoping with all the outcry and the questionable press, The Lab will adjust some policies (they already changed the "must reapply" rule). What I am EXPECTING is a lot of "spin".  I will be VERY HAPPY if I am wrong.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, CheriColette said:

For those who cant make it to the Town Hall meeting on Tilia,  @Inara Pey said in her blog today, 'I hope to be able to record the meeting and produce a summary with audio after-the-fact.'

FYI:  The meeting will take place on Friday, July 12th  at 13:00 SLT.

It will be attended by:  - Grumpity Linden, Second Life Senior Director of Product.
                                        - Patch Linden, Senior Director of Product Operations.

The meeting will be livestreamed as well via SL4Live - TV. However, I've no idea if the the steam will also be monitored for questions placed through it.

Edited by Inara Pey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

My inworld partner of 10 years sent me some L$ that she had saved from work inworld to help me with a car expense.

I am currently being interrogated by Trilia.

"Send us these documents"

"What is your relationship with this person"

"What is your source of inworld income"

Meanwhile my car is still in the shop and I can't get it out because of this.

These are the real-world implications of this nonsense.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Marx Dudek said:

But you would have gotten the exact same questions from Linden Lab in recent years, certainly any time since Treasury established FinCEN. 

You think that's bad, try having income-generating assets in other countries besides the US. The paperwork makes a 1040 with all attendant forms and schedules look like child's play.

• Like 5

Your case is no real reason for LL to get into trouble with the IRS or worse.

Your partner' generosity is admirable ;  your implicated impatience to collect is not.

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Marx Dudek said:

What kind of bs is this for a virtual world? 

Source of inworld income? I don't freaking have one ffs. 

What's my relationship with a stranger?  Someone I've never actually met?  There is no relationship.

FFS.

Now I do want to know what specific laws LL is supposedly complying with because the more I learn about this, the more it reeks of LL pulling another fast one.

2 hours ago, Marx Dudek said:

My inworld partner of 10 years sent me some L$ that she had saved from work inworld to help me with a car expense.

Meanwhile my car is still in the shop and I can't get it out because of this.

These are the real-world implications of this nonsense.

Well, it maybe is nonsense, in your particular case. But . . .

Essentially, what you are doing here is a little bit like using SL as a substitute for conventional banking services and money transfers. Now, the issues are not so extreme in your case as it might be, because you say that your partner earned these L$ in-world, rather than using RL funds to buy them, and then transferred them to you for cashing-out to your Paypal account (or whatever it is that you are using). And that difference means, I'd have thought, that they shouldn't have so many concerns about your transaction as they might have. But if your partner has bought a sizable sum of L$ recently, even for a different purpose, you can imagine why this might send up red flags.

The essential issue here is that you are using an "in-game" currency to do something for which it was never intended: to transfer and receive money from someone else for RL purposes, rather than using an e-transfer through your bank or something similar. And that makes the money a lot harder to trace, should anything fishy actually be happening.

If residents are going to use L$ as a means of transferring RL funds between each other, then LL needs to put into place the same kinds of safeguards that RL financial institutions do.

I'm not trying to defend either LL or the Tilia thing here; I have doubts about the way the former is managing this, and concerns about the latter. And I am, really, sympathetic to your problem. But it's not really hard to see why you're getting these kinds of queries.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

What kind of car repairs are paid for by virtual-world currency? This is about real world money.

I never said a word about the car. I was not addressing the reason behind the need or desire to withdraw funds. I was addressing the questions asked ONLY.

1 hour ago, Marx Dudek said:

i and my then-boyfriend (who is also a SL creator) were subjects to the same interrogation about 3 years ago. Ok, his SL account was then 1 year old, but i have been in SL since 2007, have had a verified Paypal account since 2008 and had by then had been cashing out thousands of USD for 8 years. LL knew me (or i'd think they should have) very well, yet i was interrogated by LL in the same manner. Because my then-bf and i are from different countries, and both i was visiting him, and he was visiting me from time to time, so apparently LL found it suspicious that our 2 accounts were logging in to SL from IP addresses located at the same 2 countries. We both had to explain to LL what our relationship were, that on top of provided RL ID scans. At that time my then-bf cashed out probably not more than 300USD altogether to his Paypal, yet LL demanded his ID.

After we had to go through this, there is nothing LL can demand that will surprise me anymore... -_-

15 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

@Chic Aeon reports that Linden Lab has been caught deleting users' questions about Tilia:

https://ryanschultz.com/2019/07/11/linden-lab-caught-deleting-users-questions-about-tilia/

Yep I broke my blog op ed silence in the wee hours of my morning.  Don't miss my just now posted comments in the "what would you do if you were Linden Lab thread. They are slightly more positive --- thankfully. 

I of course was not the ONLY one commenting about ALL the deletions (some were legitimately remove but many other deletions were very well written and important questions -- and yes, a good portion of the masses are (well insert "unhappy" but that is not the word I would type in a non-G rated comment) :D.   

EDIT:  Note a few posts above this one where the posts we linked to also disappeared -- well NATURALLY but I wasn't being too smart when I (and others) LINKED to the post. Duh!   I WAS smart about copying the long post I was linking to (and sent it to the author for her journal entry :D) as well as taking screenshots now.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.