What could the next new continent theme be modeled after?

PrudenceAnton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The beautiful new Bellisseria continent has that unique Americana theme of New England throughout and has been well done in its design.  Second Life premium members are gobbling up new releases like they are the last skittles in the bowl and ready for more!

But what is down the road? I think I remember the discussion of other continents in the future coming into play for premium members.  So what could be next in theme?  I made a brief mention of such an idea in a post and thought I'd drop it in here. I don't know if this has been a topic before and when I do searches, it never triggers the topics I'm looking for, so here it is.

We have more of a New England look on the Bellisseria continent being developed. Imagine if the next new continent was done in a style of the older traditional homes through Italy and France? Villas dotted along slopped hillsides by a coastline. Tranquil little valleys of vineyard like villas and shops?  Doubt that is in the plans, but the possibilities of uniquely themed continents being built for premium members is rather exciting if Linden Lab keeps to these new themed ideals.

The Lindens keep watch and listen to the favored comments that SL residents put out there. So what are your thoughts for the next unique theme for a continent, that premium members would crave to have a dwelling on?

villa 1.jpg

villa 2.jpg

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I am always drawn to areas like Tuscan villages, but I have a feeling we will see something more along the lines of fantasy or maybe steampunk as the next "different" theme.

I have that visual in my head of that movie, Under the Tuscan Sun.  What a dreamy atmosphere to be able to reside in. 

I do hope they take into account this time around, the level of popularity for unique themes.  Steampunk, fantasy sound great for many but may not be a higher majority of those wanting to have residences in such a theme.

I, myself, love the medieval-fantasy themes and have helped build a few role play regions using the medieval-fantasy theme, but I know the SL residents that love this theme is a smaller compact majority when compared to the vast number of Second Life residents out there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

Something that is already popular such as tropical? This could be versatile and stretch from bali beach properties, to jungle houses, to houseboats, to amazonian river theme?  Could be made really attractive.

Oooh, Amazon? Yaaassss, bring on the crocodiles!

(Which reminds me, I love bayou settings.)

• Like 3

Wharf apartments. They could be all from old renovated brick and wrought iron, to modern style.

Maybe the south end of Bellisseria could be that.

Big, open studios would satisfy those who think the rooms is too small in the traditional houses.

Tropical is also a good idea. A desert would be nice. Abodes, haciendas, cacti.

But I am most in favor of industrial now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PrudenceAnton said:

Imagine if the next new continent was done in a style of the older traditional homes through Italy and France? Villas dotted along slopped hillsides by a coastline. Tranquil little valleys of vineyard like villas and shops? 

villa 2.jpg

Now that's a very good idea. It would lead to good-looking areas, ones different from the ones we have now. Are there any sims in SL themed like that now?

(Steampunk? I think that's over, and I say that as one who had elaborate exhibits at over ten steampunk conventions.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It could be a great way to get people experimenting with non-mainstream communities. I'd love an around the world area. It would play havoc with the tree types 9_9 but imagine having choices between say historic Japanese, Moroccan, adobe, and more. So what if it wasn't 'real', it would still have it's own immersion for those who accepted it for what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

Now that's a very good idea. It would lead to good-looking areas, ones different from the ones we have now. Are there any sims in SL themed like that now?

(Steampunk? I think that's over, and I say that as one who had elaborate exhibits at over ten steampunk conventions.)

Yes there are, though I'd have to search through my landmarks to find a few. 

I would go with city life. Very urban city with many urban features like a subway, automated busses or perhaps a tram like san francisco, parks.. Something completely out of the ordinary atleast for mainland. Instead of houses have walk-ups next to each other, have some filler buldings from time to time, have some animesh NPC's around, basicly a display of the latest tech Second Life has to offer on an enviroment that really contrasts with the emptyness that covers the mainland... a packed up city full of life, with a diferent attitude.

• Like 4

I would LOVE a California Craftsman style area. They have so much charm and can easily range from tiny bungalow style to larger, more sprawling models. They would look great on hill terrain overlooking some beachfront properties.

Or maybe some Midcentury Modern builds in desert terrain with lots of cactus and some palms.

Edited by Sehra Kauffman
  • Like 4

What I find exciting is that there could be quite a few themes coming...Patch said (in the Meet the Lindens if I remember correctly) there could be as many as 8 or so themes (so that means quite a number of styles overall). I can't imagine what they'll come up with next, but if we were to assume that they would be 'roughly' replacing the first gen home themes, then the homes on Bellisseria are the 'real world' or 'modern' type homes (replacing Meadowbrook), so perhaps the next one will be fantasy genre, i.e. replacing Elderglen.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Chronometria said:

Patch said that the  next theme was particularly appropriate for  railway. I think steampunk or english cottages. 

And I am fine with that. But 4 very... "not urban" themes in a row, placed in temperate climate would be enough for a while. In theory, steampunk does not need to be in a temperate climate, but isn't it the obvious environment for that theme?

So tropical, desert or urban would be a nice change. The more I think of a Spanish house or a Mexican abode, the more I like it.

• Like 1

There are many possible themes Patch said at Meet the Moles yesterday but that there are 8 plans they were pretty solid on implementing next and over a few dozen that were ideas of possibilities that hadn't been decided on, with the prospect of something they still had not considered.  I do love the Mediterranean idea of villas along a coastline or nestled into a valley, though my thoughts on this post were not so much the next theme on Bellisseria continent but another new continent after they complete Bellisseria.  Bellisseria has kept to an Americana theme with the new styles of homes coming out.  On another continent, perhaps they'd do something more European in style.  There are so many beautiful old world styles of homes in, many countries from the EU.  Its a long way off, but will be coming one day and can't wait to see what it might be.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, animats said:

Now that's a very good idea. It would lead to good-looking areas, ones different from the ones we have now. Are there any sims in SL themed like that now?...

There us a whole cluster of Regions - used to be called the Duchee de Coer, set to around 1800 in France but now they have modern times:

https://secondlife.com/destination/ville-de-couer 

still very pittoresk. I rented a little cottage there since many years.

Edited by Leora Jacobus

Alright I had a nice discussion the other day with @Beth Macbain 

I'm gonna pitch this idea for a continent right here...

How about an ADULT rated continent with a New Orleans theme... We could have our own french quarter and maybe some backwater type swamp houses.  I can see it happening already we will have naked air boat rides... Mardigras parades in the street every day... Beads... OH the beads!!!! and River boat cruises and the *Insert Continent Name here* Alligator will likely show up on day 1 🤣

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Evangeline Ling said:

How about an ADULT rated continent with a New Orleans theme... We could have our own french quarter and maybe some backwater type swamp houses.  I can see it happening already we will have naked air boat rides... Mardigras parades in the street every day... Beads... OH the beads!!!! and River boat cruises and the *Insert Continent Name here* Alligator will likely show up on day 1 🤣

I'm Beth Macbain, and I approve this message. 

I still want it to be somewhat attached to Bellisseria, or at least very close, because I still want to be part of the community, but yes, I want to feel free to do all the things and not worry about being reported. I think an adult continent WITH LINDEN HOMES would be hugely popular. Not like Zindra or Horizons that turned into a tacky wasteland of bling and megaprims and full bright and other unmentionables. 

And I really, really, really want to see what the Moles can come up with when given the green light to make adult-activity-friendly Linden Homes and all the landscaping, theming, etc., that goes along with it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love the idea of Tuscan villages but I am keeping my remaining fingers crossed for traditional Japanese. I loved my little Shareta home and only gave it up to move to Bellisseria. I'd switch back to a similar theme in a heartbeat.

3 hours ago, Evangeline Ling said:

I love this idea! I was thinking the other day about a French Quarter theme, and making it Adult would be perfect. I'd give up my beach Traditional in a heartbeat for a place like that. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.