The new premium home gold rush...

Pixels Sideways

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are a couple of AWESOME spots in the new houseboat setup that would be great to snag.  I'm hoping I'm available when they are released and can get one.  I'll probably use a new alt and not release my current holding unless the new alt can get one of the super spots.

• Like 3

In response to what folks have said:

I was using 48 as a max number re: the number of home parcels on a sim.  

Reduce that to 24 as a high average and the sim count doubles.

Beach front is doable if the sims are terraformed so they are split in ways that there is waterfront with a beach - of course not everyone will get a sea only view but lagoons, islands, etc., combined with houseboats -and higher elevation parcels inland with great views can easily be done. 

And yes, premium members are entitled to a Linden Home per the SL website which generically states:

• Linden Home or 1024m² tier allotment for use towards a parcel on the Mainland

This links to a more info page and that page links to another more info page here:

Perhaps LL should clarify that only a few premium members will get one of the nice new homes they use in their PR pics.  "You may not get a nice new home or houseboat as represented in the photos and text but instead you'll get funky old prim home on a fugly sim while you wait a year or more for new homes to become available for which you'll have to park yourself on the net and play new home roulette..."

If they had done the new home form database from the beginning, LL would have been better prepared to handle this massive new home undertaking and allotment and could/should have been a lot more forthcoming about the process of getting a new Linden home.

This reminds me of when LL had a big promotion for homestead sims at $75 a sim and hundreds of people signed up only to find out LL didn't do any pre-planning and accounting on the costs so everyone got immediately hit with increased tiers which is a classic bait and switch maneuver.  A LOT of people left SL because of that.

LL is a highly profitable company because of SL which is the cash cow LL milks to excess to fund that VR brick Sansar.  Who creates a massive online multiplayer VR world that shuts out their customers and new users because it is not compatible with Apple computers and devices?

Thanks for trolling me on my typo.  Those snarks were rather funny.  

Anyway, enjoy your Linden homes.  And be nice to the moles.  Based on these numbers they will be toiling away for years to come before there are enough homes to go around.  Hopefully SL will still be here.

• Like 1

Tell me how to know when they release new homes or houseboats , I am just now finding these forums and had no idea how to get the new homes so I am without a home as I wait

Please tell me how to see the release I am rather new so not experienced as most here seem to be. Any help appreciated , thank you 

Sandy

27 minutes ago, Shalom1rael said:

Tell me how to know when they release new homes or houseboats , I am just now finding these forums and had no idea how to get the new homes so I am without a home as I wait

Please tell me how to see the release I am rather new so not experienced as most here seem to be. Any help appreciated , thank you 

Sandy

Watch your Dashboard Blog Feed and this thread:

When another batch is ready, that thread will be updated and you should also see something in the Blog Feed.  You will claim the house via this page:  https://land.secondlife.com/en-US/lindenhomes/land-selection.php

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Pixels Sideways said:

Perhaps LL should clarify that only a few premium members will get one of the nice new homes they use in their PR pics.  "You may not get a nice new home or houseboat as represented in the photos and text but instead you'll get funky old prim home on a fugly sim while you wait a year or more for new homes to become available for which you'll have to park yourself on the net and play new home roulette..."

Starting to sound pretty bitter, SL is not fun if you end up feeling jaded and chances are by the time it sinks in that it's actually making you depressed, it's too late. Hating on LL will only ever get you so far, it's really not worth letting something like this turn into a festering mental wound, and believe me, it can.

Take a breath, you didn't win this time, you will have many more opportunities  .. perhaps even in a few days time.

• Like 7

This is a massive project. Before launch at the Expo, Patch Linden told someone that by the time it's all said and done this could approach 4,000 regions.

A limited roll-out in the beginning is just a common sense thing, it's a lot easier to put out fires and make corrections on 100 regions than on 4000.

I think the only thing this thread is missing has been demands for resignations. I'm sure that will come too, unless it has and I missed it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• Moles

(if anyone wants to try this exercise themselves, rez a 4m square block with .5m cubes representing houses and snap all the pieces to a .0625m grid)

The main parcel has to support the LI of the houses and parcels do not touch. So the maximum number of parcels you can have is 36. Here is a picture of that that looks like:

cb1123f82bbc88a62fd64a47988679a2.thumb.jpg.5a2696aeaab8d77f15cc7ff15f4b3b4a.jpg

Pretty exciting, isn't it? With this you will not have LI for any sort of roads or trees and no real space for them either... or any beaches, lagoons, mountains, views or anything really. The houses will just be an endless grid of parcels. It won't be worth exploring so it probably doesn't really need roads or paths anyway. BUT since there isn't a way to add any sort of variety and you have to make hundreds of them overnight they can all be clones of the same template. All the regions will be the same... flat with no content other than the houses. But everyone who could possible have one can have one right away. How many people do you think that would be though? Do you think they'd like it? Would they fill all 60,000 parcels? Or would they be empty wastelands of little empty houses all crammed next to each other with only an handful actually occupied in each region because they look at it and go "eww..."?

Or... you take away about a third of those parcels. Here is what that looks like:

ec60628ee50a14bc3ec7707c9569143e.thumb.jpg.718d606ffb48dc70f821c86dc18f5c73.jpg

Now you can vary it up a bit. Use that LI for some decoration content. Maybe even put the parcels in different configurations. But now you have to make even MORE regions. Now if you only have 10 or 12 or even 20 templates... even if you randomize them once you get a few hundred of them stitched together it becomes pretty obvious they are just clones. Not much of anything special about that. Not really a place to play and explore since they are basically all the same. It'll still be a big grid of regions that are all homogeneous. However, you could clone the snot out of them and make enough for all 60,000 potential premium residents. But again, do you think all 60,000 potential residents would actually want one or would the reaction be pretty much the same (namely "ewww...")? Probably.

Or... we accept the idea that mass cloning of Linden Homes is a major factor in ruining their appeal to most. It makes them just a place to park some bots or wall yourself in because there is nothing outside of your window worth looking at anyway or going out your door to experience. Now that means creating these regions is much more time consuming because you have to make them individually and they can't possibly all be ready at once. But it does mean they will be much more desirable and valued once they are. And a large part of that value is in the fact they aren't just handed out to everyone like cheap earbuds on a flight to Albuquerque.

So which sounds like a better plan...

1700 regions of parcels that probably nobody will really want and will probably just claim because they can and never do much of anything with it.

2500 regions with parcels not many people will actually enjoy any more than the old Linden Homes and again, will probably just claim one because they can.

Or a few hundred regions (to start) with parcels people a LOT of people absolutely love and are banging on the doors to get into... with plans to have it grow and evolve as it grows. With so much interest to the point people are actually forming a cohesive community around them that includes people who don't even have a home there yet. The operative word there being yet.

We're making home baked small batch cookies from scratch that a great number of people are telling us they think are simply to die for. We're making more and we're gonna keep making more as long as people keep wanting them. We could make enough for everyone at once, but we'd essentially be handing cookies out from a big bag of Chips Ahoy! And is that what anyone really wants if they think about it?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 22

5 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

And a large part of that value is in the fact they aren't just handed out to everyone like cheap earbuds on a flight to Albuquerque.

Loved everything about your post! This one made me frown a bit, though. I mean, they are going to be 'handed out to everyone like cheap earbuds on a flight to Albuquerque', right?! I hope you're not saying only 'special' ppl will get them (unless 'special' eventually includes all Premium members). I don't mind waiting, honestly, as long as the intention at Linden Labs is still to provide these to all Premium members.

• Moles
6 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Loved everything about your post! This one made me frown a bit, though. I mean, they are going to be 'handed out to everyone like cheap earbuds on a flight to Albuquerque', right?! I hope you're not saying only 'special' ppl will get them (unless 'special' eventually includes all Premium members). I don't mind waiting, honestly, as long as the intention at Linden Labs is still to provide these to all Premium members.

No, that isn't what I meant at all. Only that in order to instantly create enough to be able to give them out to every possible potential customer the end result will be a vastly inferior product (like the aforementioned throw away worthless headphones airlines give out). We have every intention to keep making Linden Homes for as long as there is a demand.

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Abnor Mole said:

No, that isn't what I meant at all. Only that in order to instantly create enough to be able to give them out to everyone the end result will be a vastly inferior product (like the aforementioned throw away worthless headphones airlines give out). We have every intention to keep making Linden Homes for as long as there is a demand.

Okay, that's what I figured. :) Just wanted to make sure we'll all get a turn, one day. And yes, I rather you 'moles' do a beautiful job than a fast one. Like I said, I don't mind waiting.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

No, that isn't what I meant at all. Only that in order to instantly create enough to be able to give them out to every possible potential customer the end result will be a vastly inferior product (like the aforementioned throw away worthless headphones airlines give out). We have every intention to keep making Linden Homes for as long as there is a demand.

P.S. I kinda misworded things a bit. I said 'special ppl', which may have suggested I was thinking you were playing favorites. Honestly, I'm not that paranoid. :) But it would have been better if I had said 'special occasion' or something (as in a limited edition of these homes), that only the first run of ppl was able to get and/or only a limited number thereafter.

The trick is going to be knowing when to stop making them, there is no way they will end up with one for every prem account, there is a lot of regular mainland that for the most part is only going to get cheaper to buy.

There needs to be enough that people don't feel pressured to hold on to one (and never use it) just in case they cant get another, but not so many that the community element just evaporates.

I really hope the roll a random home machine weights the dice slightly in favor of putting new people next to other active people, keeping the community feel going long term depends on a little enforced proximity.

• Like 3

• Moles
8 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

P.S. I kinda misworded things a bit. I said 'special ppl', which may have suggested I was thinking you were playing favorites. Honestly, I'm not that paranoid. :) But it would have been better if I had said 'special occasion' or something (as in a limited edition of these homes), that only the first run of ppl was able to get and/or only a limited number thereafter.

I knew what you meant. And no, there are no special people. Anyone with a premium account and enough available tier can get a Linden Home*

*subject to availability

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

The trick is going to be knowing when to stop making them, there is no way they will end up with one for every prem account, there is a lot of regular mainland that for the most part is only going to get cheaper to buy.

There needs to be enough that people don't feel pressured to hold on to one (and never use it) just in case they cant get another, but not so many that the community element just evaporates.

I really hope the roll a random home machine weights the dice slightly in favor of putting new people next to other active people, keeping the community feel going long term depends on a little enforced proximity.

Wise words. :)

I heard there are about 60,000 Premium members; but I think it's safe to say LL isn't going to make an equal amount of these homes (or that there would even be a demand for 60K new homes). And, like you said (astute observation), when there are enough of these new homes, ppl may not feel the need to hang on to them for dear life, lest they never be able to get a new one.

Edited by kiramanell

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

We're making home baked small batch cookies from scratch that a great number of people are telling us they think are simply to die for. We're making more and we're gonna keep making more as long as people keep wanting them. We could make enough for everyone at once, but we'd essentially be handing cookies out from a big bag of Chips Ahoy! And is that what anyone really wants if they think about it?

Thank you Abnor, and all the other moles working on this humongous project, for putting so much thoughtfulness and care into it, and for patiently responding to all the questions (and complaints) as well. I know you guys aren't getting much rest right now, but you really are doing a beautiful job with this new continent and I have to say, I've not been this thrilled with a new home in some time. This whole concept is just FUN in every way, even the little things like being able to change my wall colors 10 times a day!  (Not that I do that... much.)

• Like 15

I am currently camping out in a friend's new home ( thank you friend!), joined groups, exploring, having fun in Bellisseria.

With the premium land allowance I have two mainland plots. Each with their own advantages. I'm using the shiny sandboxes, I even used live support last week!

So my premium account, which I got to snaffle a shiny new house is going a looong way. Especially with the 300l stipend. Yes I was disappointed at first, but I'm loving seeing the community develop, and there is no reason to feel excluded, as you can join in anyway.

• Like 6

Abnor's previous post (partially quoted below), needs to be pinned in the forum, so that people can read it and actually understand why it's been done this way, rather than just complaining.

6 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

<edited the quote to save space>

Edited by Eowyn Southmoor
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

(if anyone wants to try this exercise themselves, rez a 4m square block with .5m cubes representing houses and snap all the pieces to a .0625m grid)

The main parcel has to support the LI of the houses and parcels do not touch. So the maximum number of parcels you can have is 36. Here is a picture of that that looks like:

cb1123f82bbc88a62fd64a47988679a2.thumb.jpg.5a2696aeaab8d77f15cc7ff15f4b3b4a.jpg

Pretty exciting, isn't it? With this you will not have LI for any sort of roads or trees and no real space for them either... or any beaches, lagoons, mountains, views or anything really. The houses will just be an endless grid of parcels. It won't be worth exploring so it probably doesn't really need roads or paths anyway.

I agree with you that this would be boring, but! I think this is just what the skybox people want. There are many well made skyboxes on the market. I know ppl can go parcel hunting on the mainland, but unless they are lucky, they don't find a 32 x 32 m that is almost free. They have to buy it, and this is where they groan, because then they don't get it for free. The odd parcel shapes on the mainland further complicate it.

They like to be alone and where nobody can see them. (I know it's possible to cam in, but maybe it feels like they are totally hidden behind the walls).

Offer this as "skybox land", use whatever skybox you want that stay inside 32 x 32 m, and that aren't over the prim limit.

This could also be a "waiting" place for those who wait on a house or a boat.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I agree with you that this would be boring, but! I think this is just what the skybox people want. There are many well made skyboxes on the market. I know ppl can go parcel hunting on the mainland, but unless they are lucky, they don't find a 32 x 32 m that is almost free. They have to buy it, and this is where they groan, because then they don't get it for free. The odd parcel shapes on the mainland further complicate it.

They like to be alone and with nobody that can see them. (I know it's possible to cam in, but maybe it feels like they are totally hidden behind the walls). 

Offer this as "skybox land", use whatever skybox you want that stay inside 32 x 32 m, and that aren't over the prim limit.

This could also be a "waiting" place for those who wait on a house or a boat.

I don't know that I've actually seen or heard any comments from anyone wishing that they could have just a skybox location.  I have heard it proposed by people who seem to be upset that others are getting homes but then not decorating them or appearing to not use them, using a skybox instead.  The people using skyboxes may like the additional privacy that they feel they get from a skybox, but maybe they also want to feel that they are part of the community and enjoy the roads and other public areas.  Perhaps over time, they will decide to move down to the ground level.  Sometimes just being in the midst of community, even if not explicitly participating in the community, is enough to make one feel included.

14 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I don't know that I've actually seen or heard any comments from anyone wishing that they could have just a skybox location.  I have heard it proposed by people who seem to be upset that others are getting homes but then not decorating them or appearing to not use them, using a skybox instead.  The people using skyboxes may like the additional privacy that they feel they get from a skybox, but maybe they also want to feel that they are part of the community and enjoy the roads and other public areas.  Perhaps over time, they will decide to move down to the ground level.  Sometimes just being in the midst of community, even if not explicitly participating in the community, is enough to make one feel included.

Maybe you are right, but that would solve the issue of having no room to be when you wait for another home. As I said, Mainland isn't free. I know all can get a old house, but that's uglier than a new skybox.

A boon could be that they might have a slightly higher LI because they don't get a building. The house we get, does not count against the LI we use.

Using the roads and other public areas... well, maybe they do. So can the rest of SL residents, they don't have to live in Bellisseria.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:
8 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

putting new people next to other active people

That's a very interesting and clever idea. Heaven only knows how you could work out who is "active", though.

It certainly serves as a reminder, to everyone who has gained any experience in SL, to be prepared to welcome in and help new people, at least. So thanks!

(One slightly devilish thought has just occurred to me, though - one person's idea of activity isn't always the same as somebody else's!)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I don't know that I've actually seen or heard any comments from anyone wishing that they could have just a skybox location

There were definitely at least a couple; popped up in the Security thread, if my memory serves me right.

3 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

Maybe I am wild, but I am sure there has to be at least a 5% minority that is "I just want a linden home as a place to open boxes" and whatnot. Those people should not be forced to get a traditional home or houseboat or whatnot. We are eventually going to force every old linden home user over to the new continent. Surely a certain percentage just wants a rez spot. 

And yes, of course, they are just as deserving of a linden home. They pay. However, if they are fully open thay they just want a skybox, and have no intention of being a part of the community, would it be awful to just give them a skybox?

Edited by stlshayne
  • Like 1

I'm in two minds about this skybox suggestion - and bear in mind I'm one of those complaining about all the empty houses around me.

Ideally it would be fantastic to have those homes full and have people take part in the community as was intended or designed. But I also can't help but think that having every single house decorated and cluttered would significantly impact my rendering times which are already spotty, and those like me who feel the lag already in Bellisseria. I feel more upset (and that's probably too strong a word, maybe just irked) that so many houses are sitting vacant while there are others in these forums especially who so keenly want a place to decorate and feel part of something "bigger". On the flip side, how do you tell someone who pays their fees just like you or I that they can't have a house unless they plan to decorate it and regularly use it for more than just rezzing and dressing? You can't, and that's the problem.

The whole 'LL will eventually be forcing people over' line probably encouraged some to just snatch a place up so they had it for when the old continent went belly-up rather than wait. I dare say not a huge percentage but enough to have an effect on the already limited market. I also have friends who had no idea LL were even rolling out these homes at all, so it tells me that as bad as the rush was with the initial release, things would and could get a whole lot crazier if more people knew about it - and word is out there perhaps more so than it was before, so... expect more homes will be snatched up for the sake of snatching them up. We are consumers, after all.

Offering skyboxes might help ease some of the load, but it's also likely to create its own problems. As has been said many, many times by many people from the start of this project's release, you can't please everyone all the time, and even if LL did give everyone what they wanted there would still be those complaining. It's a delicate balance and I don't envy LL's predicament. As Abner Mole recently stated, creating fairly simple grid-like structures might do the trick and attract some numbers, but LL and the Moles are trying to create something that's not only never been done on this scale in LL, but something that inspires people and fosters this community spirit, even if with the few that actually take part in it. That might be harder to do in a series of skybox regions compared to the in-world benefits of what's currently being created. If people want to live in a generic skybox right now, they can, by purchasing land and using their monthly allowance and leaving the new regions for those that want them. But that's forcing people into an either/or situation. Why should we have to decide between a house and a skybox? Why can't we just have both? With this new continent, we can, there's just not enough to go around right now - but maybe when enough people have a home the issue won't seem so divisive as it right now.

LL and the Moles have been repeating it and people just need to heed the message: They are building more as long as demand for them continues. People just have to be patient and wait, that's all.

Edited by RaeLeeH
Incessant typonese.
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.