The new premium home gold rush...

Pixels Sideways

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recommend visiting what is out of the continent so far, and really paying attention to the landscaping and whatnot. What they have done and are doing is very impressive, and not at all cut-and-paste. Each region is unique and tailored and very detailed. Be patient, and be on the lookout for when things drop. Things will get faster the more used they get to this project, but it's still important none of it be rushed.

• Like 9

I read a slew of articles regarding the new Linden home release. 

I visited the model home area multiple times.

I had no idea that I should be monitoring the forums on an hourly/daily basis.

NOW I will.

I am sorry - it isn't about releasing homes in waves to me personally, it is about the dissemination of information...not just where the announcement took place but the fact that old linden homeowners like myself abandoned their homes not realizing ALL of the houses were gone. 

I don't understand why an email/forum announcement for potential new forum members wasn't sent out about availability and then the lack of.

It isn't the end of the world, and I am glad new homes are going to be released soon, but it also would be great to have some time frame. Since for nearly two months, I have been googling and googling 'new Linden home release date.'

I think this whole process could have been executed more smoothly and transparently, but perhaps Linden Labs didn't realize how many people would be excited about the project. 

I could tell simply because of the number of residents visiting the model homes.

Good luck everyone in the next wave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ummm.  You spend 120$ a month.  US$120 (~L$30,000) will buy you quite a nice little mainland parcel when you can put up banlines, fly a zero-timer security orb and generally be an anti-social typical mainlander to your hearts content.

• Haha 2

Why do I read these threads that are full of 'Jeez and whine'? They're all the same, and SO many are written by people claiming to have more knowledge than LL and spend more money than anyone else ever has!

It's like 'car-crash tv', you want to look away... but just.... can't.......

My name is Walpurgisnacht, and I am addicted to reading moaning duplicated threads 😔

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

I know that LL built Second Life using the same software for building sims in Opensimulator. Right? If yes, it's really easy and fast to download and upload an OAR file (I made many times). An OAR file has inside the sim image, with all (landscape and furniture). In this case, yeah, problems could be servers. Someone knows if it's correct? 

They're designing a unique custom-made environment and actually copying stuff and placing them on their spots, carefully. Copying sims is surely possible.. they can copy hundreds of sims in no time but then what? make identical repeated batches next to each other like a stack of Lego?! its a complete continent that has different terrain levels and various areas, not everywhere is the same.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Frodo Feila said:

They're designing a unique custom-made environment and actually copying stuff and placing them on their spots, carefully. Copying sims is surely possible.. they can copy hundreds of sims in no time but then what? make identical repeated batches next to each other like a stack of Lego?! its a complete continent that has different terrain levels and various areas, not everywhere is the same.

Ok, thank you.

• Like 1

I can understand the complaint on a Business model, and fairness level. Part was partial rush without having sufficient product serve for a reoccurring fee people pay for.

Some of us have premium on multiple accounts. (9.50-9.95 per month or the reduced for pre-paid annual. As well as additional land and tier fees.

The service was updated to wean out old property. Some users were able to claim it, while others are not. They know how many people have old properties, and how many premium accounts their are, as well as how many used the 1024m tier allowance for mainland. Allowing them to prepare ahead of time so there are enough slots for all premium members seeking property in the new build.

The new land is designed in one area test / build locked region , then copied to the new region. They should have released enough to cover the need at the same time, plus a 10% additional allotment. 

If you pre-pay for a service and do not receive the promised and equal service presented, that become a poor business model. So I can understand the upset by those paying as much as others who have jumped on to gab land, and of course will not understand the complaints of those who did not receive the same equal option. In many cases you can see those who grabbed regular houses, want boat houses, will drop the ones they are holding onto that others who wanted them could have had. 

So it's a two part situation. Linden lab staff members work based on The server tech hours in California, so they will only work durign those periods usually M-F and not over the weekend unless allowed. . 

Prep of paid services is important is business model. As well as limitign greed during limited times. 

I dealt with similar with pharmaceutical companies when supplies are pre-paid and billed for the suddenly they have a 1.5 week backorder. It doesn't go well, and always results in compensation. Except in this case it involves patient health. 

SO were they prepared- No

Are they being Lazy: Can't say, completely . Some day they are very active in the Test region, others they are not. We however do not know the allocated and scheduled time they can do the work. Sure I can say I can very nicely design an entire sim and 4 equal levels in 5 days. However the integration into the web client, and custom system is not the same. It takes additional time. It's not a matter of lazy versus work hours, and customizing on the Linden side. Some aspect require region shut down, others only area shut downs, and they need to do it at the later time for phases. 

They should have held off. Got most of the needed slots done, fine tunes then rolled it out, but it is their choice after all. I also imagine they will give gift items out for homes to make members happy for the patience. 

Edited by anthonytorino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, anthonytorino said:

They should have released enough to cover the need at the same time, plus a 10% additional allotment. 

It's far better to release new projects in phases. That way they can correct possible mistakes as it evolves without having to waste time by correcting retroactively.
They can also receive feedback from customers regarding what they like/don't like and so make appropriate changes as the project evolves.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, anthonytorino said:

The new land is designed in one area test / build locked region , then copied to the new region. They should have released enough to cover the need at the same time, plus a 10% additional allotment. 

If you pre-pay for a service and do not receive the promised and equal service presented, that become a poor business model. So I can understand the upset by those paying as much as others who have jumped on to gab land, and of course will not understand the complaints of those who did not receive the same equal option. In many cases you can see those who grabbed regular houses, want boat houses, will drop the ones they are holding onto that others who wanted them could have had. 

To me, it makes more sense, to release only a portion at a time.  The reasoning is so they can troubleshoot any bugs that may occur, it gives the users a chance to voice their feedback of the land, what they would like to have added or changed and so on.  They can also fix any problems that exist in the regions such as roads, light poles, anything that they may have missed.  As they continue to build more houses, they can use that input to further their creation, not to mention when there is a bug they are not swamped with trying to fix them.

I think of us as more or less, the beta testers.   

Alternatively, they could have just put the whole project on hold, until it was completely finished.   Which would just result in none of us having a newer linden home, and a host of issues that would need to be fixed.  

Of course, that is my opinion.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

To me, it makes more sense, to release only a portion at a time.  The reasoning is so they can troubleshoot any bugs that may occur, it gives the users a chance to voice their feedback of the land, what they would like to have added or changed and so on.  They can also fix any problems that exist in the regions such as roads, light poles, anything that they may have missed.  As they continue to build more houses, they can use that input to further their creation, not to mention when there is a bug they are not swamped with trying to fix them.

I think of us as more or less, the beta testers.   

Alternatively, they could have just put the whole project on hold, until it was completely finished.   Which would just result in none of us having a newer linden home, and a host of issues that would need to be fixed.  

Of course, that is my opinion.

Part of that is true, however they do testing on the test region prior to shifting the model over. Bugs should be worked out there. However let's all be real. SL is very complex. The fact it works as well as it does is amazing. Yet bugs can happen when ever data is copied especially when network codes happen. That is apparent from the early on Security panel and mail box glitches. Anyone who has build sims knows one object will work fine, and other copy will glitch once active. IT happens.

I woudl love a standard (not boat house parcel, those I will visit with neighbors, or the pool area in common area) and hopefully it will be soon. THe main purpose for me is to hopefully rebuild the community aspect of SL. THe new continent has that potential.

• Like 6

The moles took care to do a good job on the new continent.

You can see what the pressure to produce more homes is doing on the map up north where SSP is prototyped.morelindenhomes.thumb.png.d59dade9ce6de1f838d8e6fdeca8b6ec.png

The new houseboat ghetto. Doesn't fit with the rest of the continent.

You wanted more houseboats in a hurry? This is what's coming. A rushed housing project.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

I wonder if that will be the final location.  

Untitled.png.cf8828b8ff8b582989f1cee33c07cb80.png

My master art skills in MS paint have given an alternative.  

2042941594_morelikely.png.cadc89be81c28fa7a22e167fc5785b98.png

I think it's more likely will take the place of that island in the middle also known as the mushy pickle? or some kind of pickle. :P

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

2042941594_morelikely.png.cadc89be81c28fa7a22e167fc5785b98.png

I think it's more likely will take the place of that island in the middle also known as the mushy pickle? or some kind of pickle. :P

I think you're on to something, it would look great there :) 

Edit:

I originally rotated the pasted image, when it is set right side up it fits pretty well with the original land.  I think I remember someone mentioning something about this island being called a pickle.  I wonder if this one completely slipped my attention, and that was the known intent all along.

Untitled2.png

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 1

I can tell that you know a lot about code.  Maybe LL should hire you.

EVERYTHING is code.. I dont have to KNOW HOW  to code, btw, im pretty sure that the little knowledge I do possess about coding far exceeds your knowledge of coding, to know that every single thing you see in second life IS CODE. To think that there might be 100 houseboats and they have to make every single houseboat from scratch is proving that YOU know about as much about coding as I do.. 

Maybe you can get a job with LL,, Im sure you would have a lot to offer. 

the point is they should have made enough for all premium members they know how may members they have, ok they may have a few left over, also i think that people who have been premium members for a long time should have had first choice, not newbies who have just signed up, thats my feeling about it, but hey ho we have to wait now, emails could have been sent to members who have been here for a long time, or they could have offerd them as a rewards system for being loyal to sl 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, binder59 said:

i think that people who have been premium members for a long time should have had first choice, not newbies who have just signed up

The whole point of improving the premium perks is to encourage new premium member signups. Make no mistake; while these new homes and all of the other new premium benefits coming our way are fantastic perks for those of us who have been subscribed for a long time, the target audience here is not us; it's the new signups. All Linden Lab had to do to keep its current premium users... was nothing.

This is one of those instances where it doesn't matter who's been around longest, who's been most loyal, or who's paid the most money. The only factor involved in getting one of these early homes, while supply is limited, is how badly you want it. If you want it badly enough to watch the forums and blogs every day and be ready to act the moment word goes out... or else if you want it badly enough to spend time refreshing the page until you manage to get a home... then you will get one. If you don't, then someone who wants it more badly than you will get it instead.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.