NEW Linden Homes 2019 .... WTF!!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I was to lazy to turn it off.... truth be told. Previously you had to be prem to own land... apparently that is not so now. (private sim)  I liked the live chat help to. Other than that, I think the "gifts" are silly usually and never anything I can use and the stipend is a joke. I am sure of it.

If you do the annual fee of 72 USD per year, and subtract the below:

300L per week in stipends= 15,600L (approx $59.77 USD)

leaves one with only spending a little over $1 USD per month

but you also get the home, the priority access into events, etc etc

A bargain!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

If you have premium for 10 years you mabye have a grandfathered stipend of 500L$ Then jt's better to keep it.

Nope, you need to be MUCH older than that for the $500 (even for the $400).    You need to be almost 13 years old for the $500 and almost that old for the VERY brief time when it was 400 before going to 300. . 

• Like 1

So how exactly do you get a new linden home? Did they somehow run out? I thought about going premium for one, but all it's offering me are the old ones, which means... well, I'm not going premium.

Good business decisions, LL. I feel like my money isn't wanted. :P

And to make it clear here, I'm not complaining about now getting one, I'm just utterly confused as to why LL apparently only wanted a certain number of new premium subscribers, rather than as many as they could handle. Even if I get one in the future it's months of possible revenue that they just outright declined. I don't get it!

Edited by Cinos Field

19 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

well, I'm not going premium.

Good business decisions, LL. I feel like my money isn't wanted. :P

I'm just utterly confused as to why LL apparently only wanted a certain number of new premium subscribers, rather than as many as they could handle.

I wonder if there could be other reasons why new homes for 60,000 Premium members (plus all the new accounts going Premium) cannot manifest all at once.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I wonder if there could be other reasons why new homes for 60,000 Premium members (plus all the new accounts going Premium) cannot manifest all at once.

They certainly have the server space and power necessary, it's not a technical limitation, and that's for absolute certain. It's a business one that doesn't make much sense. Sure artificial scarcity is a thing but it's driving demand down in this case, as we see from several people in the topic.

Edited by Cinos Field

2 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

They certainly have the server space and power necessary, it's not a technical limitation, and that's for absolute certain. It's a business one that doesn't make much sense.

It takes time to create these new areas -- they are not doing cookie-cutter sims but instead attempting to provide more variety.

It's a process that needs to evolve and change along the way, getting feedback from customers and fixing problems as it proceeds. I'm not an expert, but I don't think it would be wise to, for example, hire a bunch of new people to work on these immediately. Perhaps a few more, yes, as there's every indication that these new homes are a big hit for LL.

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It takes time to create these new areas -- they are not doing cookie-cutter sims but instead attempting to provide more variety.

It's a process that needs to evolve and change along the way, getting feedback from customers and fixing problems as it proceeds. I'm not an expert, but I don't think it would be wise to, for example, hire a bunch of new people to work on these immediately. Perhaps a few more, yes, as there's every indication that these new homes are a big hit for LL.

I suppose that makes sense, but hasn't this been in the works for months? Surely they could at least do more than 700(?) new homes in that time.

I mean, maybe they can't. I don't know, I just wanted to express my unwanted opinion to the entire internet.

12 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

I suppose that makes sense, but hasn't this been in the works for months? Surely they could at least do more than 700(?) new homes in that time.

I imagine most of those months were spent tweaking the homes themselves, and the scripts within, and then (after launch) adding the security scripts and nerfing access restrictions (which is really the reason to get, specifically, these houseboats: finally a safe sailing area!). If I were in charge, I'd probably assume they could push out new continent as needed, close enough to demand that it wouldn't matter. (And that may be correct, too; I'm still not convinced the impatient posters here aren't Linden stooges, hyping the demand.)

But there's another way it would make sense. This would presume an extraordinary degree of planning ahead by the Lab, but suspending that disbelief for the nonce: Maybe that they were hoping to not blind-side the Estates whose business may be affected by this new competing Land product, and give those Estates a fair chance to up their game, cut their prices, or gracefully liquidate.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

I mean, maybe they can't. I don't know,

It always seems it should take less time when looking at anything from the outside (way more than 700 new homes, btw). That's because we can't see the details of what this entails.
But it's far more than tweaking scripts or creating content and placing homes. The regions need to integrate and form a flowing & cohesive whole while exhibiting some uniqueness for each region as well, not to mention the added difficulty of incorporating so many homes on each region -- this is very, very difficult.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

Sure artificial scarcity is a thing but it's driving demand down in this case, as we see from several people in the topic.

It's not wise to base decisions on a few complainers. People who are unhappy are more likely to complain, and those who are happy are less likely to post...this creates a skewed sample and not representative of the whole.  So I can't see the scarcity as driving demand down at this point.

Most complainers are simply people who didn't get want they want, and rather than taking the time to understand the perspective of the other side they blame them by calling them incompetent.

I do have sympathy for those wanting to be a part of the new community and hope they can as soon as possible, but there's no need to call LL incompetent unless this is deserved.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

The 700 number - 709, to be exact - is simply the count of the latest Houseboat rollout, and they did that entire section, from start to finish in just under one month.  Granted the Houseboat styles were the same as the previous launch, but they still had the 40 regions to create and uniquely landscape.

The original rollout was many thousands of homes and houseboats.  It is taking a long time because it is most definitely not a copy/paste operation.  Rather than explain it all again, here is a link to Abnor's post explaining it:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm still not convinced the impatient posters here aren't Linden stooges, hyping the demand

Oh, you mean one of those marketing schemes that inevitably backfire? I seriously doubt it. This time around the Linden Homes are selling themselves because they are so much nicer than the old ones.

• Like 1

Considering that getting a place on the new continent is for the most part impossible at this time, shouldn't those who are playing premium membership for less accommodations receive a discount? Old sections have less prims, more lag, no water for boating, and are simply outdated. I think the premium should be reduced for those who are unable to obtain accommodations in the new area and have relinquished ownership of the outdated parcels in order to stand in line for updated ones.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KyleKC said:

Considering that getting a place on the new continent is for the most part impossible at this time, shouldn't those who are playing premium membership for less accommodations receive a discount? Old sections have less prims, more lag, no water for boating, and are simply outdated. I think the premium should be reduced for those who are unable to obtain accommodations in the new area and have relinquished ownership of the outdated parcels in order to stand in line for updated ones.  

How about have some patience instead? These things take time. Weeks and months of time. Or would you prefer LL go back to pushing things out before they are ready? I'm sure those who weren't around from 2003 to 2007 would just love being able to experience all the crap those of us who were here had to put up with. All the down time due to things being rushed and deployed before they should have been. Like the time the grid was down for a whole week in 2005 and LL had to refund people's money because they hadn't thought to add such a clause to the ToS.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
good thing I had paper towels handy...
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, KyleKC said:

You have to remember you still have 1024sqm of land allocation, which can be spent elsewhere, and you also are getting $300L a week.  Although, if they really want to reduce the prices of premium membership I surely will not complain :)

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

How about have some patience instead? These things take time. Weeks and months of time. Or would you prefer LL go back to pushing things out before they are ready? I'm sure those who weren't around from 2003 to 2007 would just love being able to experience all the crap those of us who were here had to put up with. All the down time due to things being rushed and deployed before they should have been. Like the time the grid was down for a whole week in 2005 and LL had to refund people's money because they hadn't thought to add such a thing to the ToS.`3`

Honey, I'm just as patient as you are. Fairness in billing is just that.

39 minutes ago, KyleKC said:

shouldn't those who are playing premium membership for less accommodations receive a discount?

Should they also receive a discount if they:

1. don't use all of their increased 60 group allowance?
  2. log on daily and thus don't have any use for the additional number of notices/IMs that can come in before they get capped?
  3. don't pick up the free premium member gifts?
  4. don't need to access busy events and thus don't take advantage of premium membership priority entry?
  5. only use one worn animesh slot and don't need the second one that premium members are entitled to?
  6. don't use voice morphing?
  7. don't use premium-only sandboxes?
  8. don't spend all of their weekly stipend?
  9. don't use Live Chat support?

Because, if so, then damn. I'm due a massive rebate for numbers 3, 5, 6, and 7...

Edited by Skell Dagger
Typo
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

Should they also received a discount if they:

• don't use all of their increased 60 group allowance?
  • log on daily and thus don't have any use for the additional number of notices/IMs that can come in before they get capped?
  • don't pick up the free premium member gifts?
  • don't need to access busy events and thus don't take advantage of premium membership priority entry?
  • only use one worn animesh slot and don't need the second one that premium members are entitled to?
  • don't use voice morphing?
  • don't use premium-only sandboxes?
  • don't spend all of their weekly stipend?
  • don't use Live Chat support?

well, my company doesn't randomly throw free parts into one box and not the other of our customers and then charge the same price. It is not a matter of use vs. non-use it is a matter of equal offering for one price.

6 minutes ago, KyleKC said:

well, my company doesn't randomly throw free parts into one box and not the other of our customers and then charge the same price. It is not a matter of use vs. non-use it is a matter of equal offering for one price.

Your company is not Linden Lab.

You have every equal chance of getting a Linden Home as any other premium member. If you happen to be at work or asleep or away from a computer during one release of homes, you might just as easily be at home, wide awake, and right there at the keyboard for the next one.

Every single time there's some kind of issue or outage to do with Second Life, we always get people posting in here saying they're entitled to a refund. You have at least ten benefits because you're a premium member. If you only joined in order to get one of them - specifically a houseboat/new home - and you have no intention of using any of the others, then perhaps it would be wise to pull yourself back to a free account until such time as the clamour for them has died down and each new release takes longer and longer to fulfil.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.