NEW Linden Homes 2019 .... WTF!!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to clarify what I said the other day. I am not special or deserve more than any other Premium member, I love what the Lindens are doing to improve our homes. the part that upset me is the small number released, there would have been less confusion and people upset if they had waited for a larger number of homes to be ready, I really didn't mean to add to the confusion or hatred that seems to be hovering here, I will wait till I can get a new home just like everyone else..

• Like 2

I used to be a millennial. It wasn't derogatory, just a term for people born within a certain period. Around the time I turned 30, I began to realise that it was now being used as an insult, but I didn't need to worry because it didn't apply to me. At first I couldn't work out what was going on, and then I realised that it had just become a way to denigrate young people, because we always need one. My mother's generation was going to hell because of free love and Cliff Richard's pelvis. My generation was going to hell for using mobile phones and "inventing" allergies. My son's generation will go to hell for...well I don't know yet, but give it 20 years, they'll think of something. I still can't figure out what heinous crime millennials are supposed to have committed. Are you saying they might, as a class, be a bit self-absorbed? What, like every single newly adult generation that came before? 

Clearly older people aren't all technophobic fools...I'm pretty sure the average SL user is 45+, the term "silver surfer" didn't come out of nowhere and yes, life experience is indeed a thing. Doesn't mean all people over a certain age are automatically steeped in insight and profundity, of course, but it does behoove us to listen to those who have been watching the world for a lot longer than we have. Everything changes, but everything also stays the same. There used to be a men's magazine in the UK whose agony uncle was 100 years old. He was inundated with questions from men in their 20s and 30s.

But I admit that I find the level of vitriol aimed at the new millennials somewhat perplexing. I really can't figure out what terrible thing it is that they've done. They can't have ruined the planet, priced out the housing market and sent energy costs sky high while maintaining steady wages. They simply haven't been here long enough. Parliament isn't made up of 25-year-olds. 

You really can't spend all night trashing the venue and then blame it all on the people who wandered in half an hour ago.

Anyway, to finish:

"People try to put us d-down
(Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we g-g-get around
Things they do look awful c-c-cold
Yeah, I hope I die before I get old
(Talkin' 'bout my generation)...." - The Who, 1965

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannise their teachers."- Socrates, somewhere around 399 BC.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ChristieJones said:

I want to clarify what I said the other day. I am not special or deserve more than any other Premium member, I love what the Lindens are doing to improve our homes. the part that upset me is the small number released, there would have been less confusion and people upset if they had waited for a larger number of homes to be ready, I really didn't mean to add to the confusion or hatred that seems to be hovering here, I will wait till I can get a new home just like everyone else..

They have good reason for not releasing in large batches. Server load and well... you've seen it here for yourself. Releases will be more frequent with smaller batches but spread out enough to reduce the load. 

Patience and perseverance will get you your Linden Home. 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

But I admit that I find the level of vitriol aimed at the new millennials somewhat perplexing. I really can't figure out what terrible thing it is that they've done. They can't have ruined the planet, priced out the housing market and sent energy costs sky high while maintaining steady wages. They simply haven't been here long enough. Parliament isn't made up of 25-year-olds. 

You really can't spend all night trashing the venue and then blame it all on the people who wandered in half an hour ago.

The Millennials whom I know best may not be very representative -- they are mostly undergraduate students between the ages of about 17 and 25. But I would say this about them:

• They are vastly more sensitive to, and informed about, social justice issues of all kinds. They are misinformed in some ways, but they are keen to learn nuance and detail, and they are good at understanding the implications of a wide variety of social issues.

• They are much better informed about a surprisingly broad range of things, ranging from world politics to the impact of video games.

• They are probably more shallow in their understanding of some things: they move quickly and sometimes breezily over information, so they've in a sense exchanged depth for breadth of knowledge.

• They read a lot. And they also make extensive use of podcasts, vodcasts, and blog news sources.

• They are not very well-trained or even interested in long-form information sources. They have a difficult time reading novels or book-length nonfiction (excepting some forms of YA fiction, which they are still mostly addicted to). Their reading habits have been formed by blogs and social media, and their ideal for media is shorter 10-15 mins (excepting of course "light" entertainment like comic book movies).

• They are not very "tech savvy," nor particularly interested in "looking under the hood" of digital media.

• They are pretty critically astute and aware.

• They are not especially pessimistic about their future, but they are very aware that the world in which they are about to participate fully is a very different one that awaited young adults 20 or more years ago.

• They are alternately admiring of, and sceptical about older people. Pretty much exactly like my generation, Gen X, was, and I'm sure as Boomers were too.

• They are bright and aware enough to have a pretty clear idea of the problems the world is facing imminently.

And they're going to do just fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A 17 year old isn’t a millennial. They are Gen Z. Millennials are now 24+. But I agree with you @Scylla Rhiadra they will do just fine. Though we are more tech savvy than you think 😅😜

@ChristieJones makes some very good points also. There is WAY too much hate directed at us as millennials and even generation z. We weren’t the ones who trashed the shop, we just the new owners trying to pick up the pieces and make the best of what the previous owners left behind.

You don’t really see Gen X or the baby boomers out protesting for things like climate change, better rights etc etc. It’s the millennials and gen z that lead the charge on those things. I also think there should be a bit of the reverse of what others have stated as there seems to be a “oh they are older so they are wiser and deserve respect” attitude which is BS. Age does not denote wisdom or even life experience. That’s not a theory it’s a fact. How about Gen X and the baby boomers showing some respect in return for those who have to live in the world that they created and those that will ultimately hopefully push the world towards a better, more accepting and understanding and healthier place than they did.

Millennial is a weird term anyway. Millennials and gen z are pretty interchangeable in a lot of respects. But the older generation should stop scapegoating us for their issues. As I said, we didn’t break the world...you did.

Im a millennial, and I’m proud as f*** to be one. Rather this than the misery of an X or a boomer

• Like 1

I’m thinking we should call the baby boomers the Boomer Doomers as they always seem to be filled with doom and gloom and fear and always complaining like it’s the end of the world.

Generation X we should start calling X-Techs as they always seem to think that THEY know best and no one is as switched on “in the ways of the world” as they are and seem to be the most vocal when the crying and tantrums over millennials start 😅

23 hours ago, MirandaBowers said:
On 5/17/2019 at 5:54 AM, Cindy Evanier said:

I have a mainland parcel for building  (scripts load faster there than at the homestead) 

Alright, this is a little bit of a derail but I am genuinely curious why it is that the scripts load faster on mainland?

Maybe a bit off-topic -- sorry! -- but the new Linden Homes are Mainland, so a-tangent I shall go:

Scripts load up to four times as fast on a full sim compared to a Homestead, regardless of whether those are Mainland or Estate regions. That's why Homesteads are so cheap and come with a bunch of restrictions: they're running four to a CPU core, whereas full sims run one per core. The full 4x obtains when the sims are busy (no "Spare Time" in the statistics bar), and very script-intensive operations (as with Cindy's AVsitter reload) can make that happen even when there had been Spare Time before the operation began.

Another way of looking at it is that a Homestead only gets to use 1/4 as much time per simulation frame. The frame still lasts 22.222... milliseconds, but a Homestead only gets to use about 5.555... milliseconds of that time. (I suspect a Homestead may sometimes "borrow" some CPU time from its core-mate Homesteads if they're mostly idle, but I'm not sure about that.)

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jagix Linden said:

I hear all the cool kids these days are doing things like staying on topic and not having interpersonal disputes that derail threads with pejorative pet names. It's #TRENDING

Keep this thread open by being a cool kid and #EmbraceTheTrend!

#LindenHomes #ItsLindenLabNotLindenLabs #ItComesUpALot #TheresJustTheOneLabActually #HashtagsDontWorkOnForums #UnlessTheyDo #AllTheseHashtagsComeOffMoreLikeTumblrThanTwitter #IHopeThisMessageIsntGettingLostInTheMetaphor #ItsNotReallyAMetaphorSoMuchAsAFramingDevice #ButSeriouslyImGoingToLockThisIfWeCantStayOnTopic #Kthxbye

Love the hashtags!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Maybe a bit off-topic -- sorry! -- but the new Linden Homes are Mainland, so a-tangent I shall go:

Scripts load up to four times as fast on a full sim compared to a Homestead, regardless of whether those are Mainland or Estate regions. That's why Homesteads are so cheap and come with a bunch of restrictions: they're running four to a CPU core, whereas full sims run one per core. The full 4x obtains when the sims are busy (no "Spare Time" in the statistics bar), and very script-intensive operations (as with Cindy's AVsitter reload) can make that happen even when there had been Spare Time before the operation began.

Another way of looking at it is that a Homestead only gets to use 1/4 as much time per simulation frame. The frame still lasts 22.222... milliseconds, but a Homestead only gets to use about 5.555... milliseconds of that time. (I suspect a Homestead may sometimes "borrow" some CPU time from its core-mate Homesteads if they're mostly idle, but I'm not sure about that.)

Reading all the very interesting lines and precedent points of view, even those ones apparently off topic I think there are some very punctual topics related to all this discussion in a resume:

1. Kinds of use and limitations that residents and LL do on linden homes, old or new.
  2. Advantages and disadvantages of being or become premium
  3. Comparisons between subscribers premium accounts against basic accounts.
  4. Customs and restrictions about building, enjoying, living in Mainland against Private sims. First, without clear rules that have given chance to spoil the experience with lag, low constructions that spoiled views, overpopulation, limitations to privacy, differences in the ground and navigable waters, etcetera. Second with very expense costs for landowners and tenants making the competition very agresive, even injust for some.
  5. The no revelated actual and real demographic statistics by LL about the relation of real subscribers, basic and premium, against the inflated population of avatars residents, alters, robots, etc. And about how this overpopulation of avatars is related with customs, attitudes, objectives no well regulated or described for LL or users, causing suspicious, unfair play sometimes, ways of being too as if personalities dissociated for enjoying or participate in role plays. This affect, of course, the good development of business, learning, teaching, therapy, relationships, etc. Also, we need a virtual demographic statistics about types of avatars and outfits and relate those with the first data in order to know better the consumers (furies, child avatars, males, females, shemales, etc.), in relation with Mainland and Private and categories (General, Moderated, Adult) to be more organized and not so messed up and confusing.
  6. The data about Homesteads is crucial, I think, in some way related to the traffic, since there is also a huge interest in club, store, landowners to get big traffic on the idea to get more sales, but people just enjoy to camp, and is not bad even some hate that because give "fake" traffics because suspicious of bots and afk. To camp is a way to, for example, earn lindens with one avatar while with an alt create or build something in another sim, or dance with GF or whatever. So balance in this measures can be some kind of fake correlation unless we all, especially owners of something or creators, were not taking care about how to define this "web concepts" adapted and applied to SL. This is one of the reasons too why many become banned without a fair explanation, except in cases where scripts on increases lag, for example, but... Once, I remember, sorry the digression,  I was ejected from some sim because the scripting on me, the only way to get in the sim was being a basic outfit, naked, without my *****. Crazy! Was a place to have sex! How! Mindy?

The last points are related also with the free imagination and creation and expresion of each one person while that don't affect in anyway to third ones.

I would like to combine the actual lands of my home and rental business in Mainland with a linden home, perhaps rent my linden home (not possible according to rules, as I understand, if I am not wrong) or with private parcels in a more virtuous way to get not only lindens to make my account  self supportable, but make my virtual experienced more rich and close to RL, if may I say that, with the benefits of virtuality, more or less the way is planned as I understand for Sansar, but without the casquet.

After all these considerations, one thing: I still don't have an answer from anybody to my question about why I can't see in the LL linden homes web page the new ones and only the old ones.

Have a nice day

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Beggar Mayo said:

After all these considerations, one thing: I still don't have an answer from anybody to my question about why I can't see in the LL linden homes web page the new ones and only the old ones.

Have a nice day

Because the are all 'sold'. You see the old ones because there are homes available.

If im wrong them im sure ill be put in my place soon 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ananoelle said:

Because the are all 'sold'. You see the old ones because there are homes available.

If im wrong them im sure ill be put in my place soon 😁

You're correct. When the new Linden homes become available again, they will show on that page, until they get taken again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whispers heard on the grapevine:

I'm not one for gossip, you all know that, but apparently LL is now releasing the new houseboats and homes in smaller batches of 700 ish at a time, in order to be able to release them to desperate homemovers somewhat more swiftly. They do, of course, still get snapped up really fast, and if you have visited Bellisseria you'll know why, so keep hitting that F5 key !

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 10:16 AM, ClariceRose said:

When I was in my teens and 20s, I thought that I knew everything. I also thought that anyone over 35 were clueless about things and just loved to warn/vent/lecture, etc. 

Now, am over 35 and realized that I was clueless back then

OR !!

you weren't clueless then. But now that you are over 35 you got the clueless old people's disease where you get all clueless but just you don't know it

OR !!!

now that you older you think you are wiser, but you aren't. You just as clueless as you always were

OR !!!

somebody who is older than you, says mysterious incomprehensible things that makes you think they are wise. So you listen to them when you shouldn't really because they are actually more clueless than everybody ever

OR !!

i better stop now. or i might get in trouble  😛 :D

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

OR !!

you weren't clueless then. But now that you are over 35 you got the clueless old people's disease where you get all clueless but just you don't know it

OR !!!

now that you older you think you are wiser, but you aren't. You just as clueless as you always were

OR !!!

somebody who is older than you, says mysterious incomprehensible things that makes you think they are wise. So you listen to them when you shouldn't really because they are actually more clueless than everybody ever

OR !!

i better stop now. or i might get in trouble  😛 :D

I am a bit clueless, trying to find out what this topic has to do with the New Linden Homes .... 

Edited by VanillaLovelace
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, VanillaLovelace said:

I am a bit clueless, trying to find out what this topic has to do with the New Linden Homes .... 

The original topic went north, east, west but mainly south not long after the OP hit submit.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Whispers heard on the grapevine:

I'm not one for gossip, you all know that, but apparently LL is now releasing the new houseboats and homes in smaller batches of 700 ish at a time, in order to be able to release them to desperate homemovers somewhat more swiftly. They do, of course, still get snapped up really fast, and if you have visited Bellisseria you'll know why, so keep hitting that F5 key !

I wonder, why LL don‘t choose other ways to offer the batches of new Linden Homes: For example they could link to a registration page, where interested premium members could register for the house types they like to have. And every time if new houses are available, LL could notify the registered users, who were randomly chosen. This would be more fair, than a „first come, first get“ method which would be a disadvantage for people living in timezones where its maybe midnight at time of release. In addition this would also reduce the LL server usage at time of release.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 12:54 PM, VanillaLovelace said:

Today Linden Labs announced to provide Premium Users with new Linden Holmes (House Boats) .... At the time available, I tried to get one, but all were sold out within minutes!!! So tell me now: What is the advantage of being a premium member for almost a year, if you are not able to participate from the premium member benefits???

I guess I will cancel my premium membership the next days ....

I'd keep trying. Someone next door to me just got hers yesterday, a week later from the release. Apparently someone must have decided to abandon it after taking it.

You never know when one might pop up before the next round. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VanillaLovelace said:

I wonder, why LL don‘t choose other ways to offer the batches of new Linden Homes: For example they could link to a registration page, where interested premium members could register for the house types they like to have. And every time if new houses are available, LL could notify the registered users, who were randomly chosen. This would be more fair, than a „first come, first get“ method which would be a disadvantage for people living in timezones where its maybe midnight at time of release. In addition this would also reduce the LL server usage at time of release.

Signing up for a list is still a "first come, first get" method.  Here a one of the best explanations for why a waiting list won't gain you anything and might make it worse:

• Like 1

• Moderators

SPOILER WARNING FOR THE SEASON FINALE OF THIS THREAD
OK, so, at first, I was really into the thread, but then it was, like, the writers were just like, "I don't even want to stay on topic!" And then a Linden came into the thread out of nowhere and said what the audience was all thinking, and I was like, "On the nose much?" But then, like, it never really got back to what the thread was supposed to be about, and the finale was just a total disaster. Like, they never really explained the smoke monster, and it didn't make any sense for the Linden to light everything on fire and then sail into a hurricane before Dumbledore was killed by Thanos, and then it just all cut to black. Ugh. I mean, maybe I'll hate watch it again online, but for now, I'm just glad it's locked.

I give it 3 stars.

• Like 5
  • Haha 17

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.