Speeding tickets

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

speedingticketcensored.png.71d8be315160629c66c44e0f7ad86f89.png

Someone has a speed trap on Robin Loop in Heterocera which gives these out if you drive too fast (not clear how fast) on a Linden road. There's a real user name hidden by the black box. Not sure what to think of this. They probably shouldn't be using the Second Life name and logo, though.

I've seen "speed cameras" in Second Life before, but this is the first one that asks for money. I could see one of the more organized large private sims, like Acacia Falls or Lionheart doing this, but on mainland? Comments?

Edited by animats

21 answers to this question

I received a "ticket" on Hwy 10 for excessive speed. I let statue of limitations run out. The agency could have sent me an IM reminding me of the offense, towed my car or come and arrest me. The latter two would have been jolly fun to RP.

Does anyone actually pay these "fines"?

19 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Clearly we all need to be up in arms about this ~10 cent extortion racket.

Fraud is still fraud, or are you saying it's okay to steal things below a certain value, under the guise of someone else even? (No, I don't mean let's all go grab torches, but pointing a thing like this out shouldn't be met with dismissal. Plain acknowledgement is enough.)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

When I was young in SL 10L meant a lot to me and I had no freakin idea what would happen to me if I don't pay. I didn't - nothing happened. But this crap really should be ARed from mainland - use them in your RP communities as much as you like, but please stop confusing newbies who use open access public Linden roads,...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

It's a parody, but wrong to use the SL logo in that way as a newbie may not know any better and might actually pay. But for the Logo alone it should prolly be AR'd, if for no other reason than for LL to look into it and let them decide if it's okay or not.

• Like 2

I was shopping somewhere once and flew into the window of a store, which promptly shattered.  Then I received some message about payment required to pay for the damaged windows. I figured it was a scam to get unknowing new people to pay money.  I AR'd it, but not sure it was really actionable.  I never did return to see if it was still there later.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I was shopping somewhere once and flew into the window of a store, which promptly shattered.  Then I received some message about payment required to pay for the damaged windows.

As a fan of defenestration, your story makes my day.

ETA: In RL, I actually once received a ticked for "Failure to maintain minimum speed". My VW simply couldn't go any faster. This is the only ticket I've ever received and I'm right proud of it.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

Found it, didn't take long.

It most certainly is encroachment with intent to disrupt.

encroachment.jpg.4343c2ae6990bf1b4da16f87810ad2b9.jpg

Nothing here should be on the road parcel except for the road. Normally I'd say a sign like "SLOW children at play"(provided said sign stays off the driving portion of the road and is phantom) or MATCHING road connections(provided it does not disrupt the driving experience) would be okay, but this is clearly an attempt to get money and I would personally count it as a disturbance of the peace.

Somehow this has gone unnoticed since 2005-11-22 19:53:14.203021, which I believe this to be the rez date considering both OBJECT_CREATED_TIME and the fact the texture metadata is absent.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

Somehow this has gone unnoticed since 2005-11-22 19:53:14.203021, which I believe this to be the rez date considering both OBJECT_CREATED_TIME and the fact the texture metadata is absent.

*OBJECT_CREATION_TIME

Also, iirc, texture metadata should exist mid 2009 forward.

Also, if LL devs have any free time on their hands to give us any more llGetObjectDetails() constants, OBJECT_REZ_TIME will hopefully make an appearance.

3 hours ago, Kikkos said:

Are people really that vain that they can't take a joke or simply blacklist an object and move on?

If you scroll back up the thread you'll see that's not always the issue.  You and I, as experienced SL residents, are likely to know a joke when we see it. A newbie, though, doesn't have our experience, so can easily fall for it.  Worse than that, a newbie can actually be tricked into paying the fine.  It's a mean scam.  ( Many, many years ago, when I was in high school, someone ran a scam like that, selling "hall passes" to freshmen.  They were supposed to be special slips that you could show to a teacher who caught you wandering the halls when you were supposed to be in class -- permission to go to the ladies room, or the nurse's office or something.  That scam worked for about a week at the start of the year.  It's hard to believe that anyone would fall for something so obvious, but scared new freshmen will believe anything.)

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 3

On 4/8/2019 at 7:52 PM, Chaser Zaks said:

The object may be old, but the active ticket-sender seems to be new.

speedcamera.png.34fe04d4e89bb9002467fed57a516d10.png

Here's what it looks like from the front side. I passed it from the opposite direction and never saw this. With the sign, it's more like a roleplay thing.

It's part of a new build which includes a miniature railroad and a church. All prim, classic SL look.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My dad said at his school, it was “elevator passes” - and the school had no elevators.

Yeah, it's a mean trick no matter what you call it.  IIRC, in my high school the teachers had pads of hall passes that they would use when someone really did need to head to the ladies room, so some lowlife probably pinched a pad of those and went into business for himself.  Someone selling passes to a non-existent elevator is one step closer to the inner circle of high school hell.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.