Is Secondlife american culture ?

Lureo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1876 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My remark was not only about the language strickly but more widely about the culture.

This is typicaly capitalist culture. It is not monopoly but ... you have linden. shops you make business etc.. in some place you need to dress in special way. formal I learn what formal means it means like in television with american movie. In my country  nobody wear like this except movie star in Cannes. And this is only TV not Real life.

Edited by Lureo
only

Getting back to the question asked in the OP, I think SL is based on American culture (for want of a better word). It was created by an American company, after all. It make sense there'd be a good many Americans taking part in putting it together. That hasn't seemed to stop people from all over the globe finding ways to thrive in SL. In Second Life, there is no reason whatever to worry about 'fitting in'. There isn't a norm. It's true, English is our lingua franca, but that's not unusual; the same holds true for most of the world.

The Americans don't call themselves Americans thing has already been beaten senseless (and rightfully so). I always say I'm an American, if asked. When people ask where I live I just say California, one because I really do love my state and two because it's so well known (thanks mostly to Hollywood) that it supersedes having to name the country. I am sure the same thing is true of Texas, and for the same reason (although you'd probably not get a Texan to admit that).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

I am sure the same thing is true of Texas, and for the same reason (although you'd probably not get a Texan to admit that).

When someone asks where I'm from I say Texas. I don't have to say USA .. people just know. 

But I'd never claim to be Texan. I was not born in Texas. I was not raised in Texas. I have spent the majority of my life in Texas .. but that's no fault of mine. :P 

I like Texas but for some reason I've never identified with it.

Edited by Blush Bravin

6 hours ago, janetosilio said:

I tried not to get too upset about this when I read it. The op just kind of lumped all of the “English” speaking countries together, without realizing Canada’s official language is also French. 

51D0ABA0-C205-417C-974C-F6FD3646B97B.jpeg

Unless you live in Quebec, and then there's only one official language

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

When someone asks where I'm from I say Texas. I don't have to say USA .. people just know. 

But I'd never claim to be Texan. I was not born in Texas. I was not raised in Texas. I have spent the majority of my life in Texas .. but that's no fault of mine. :P 

I like Texas but for some reason I've never identified with it.

Better to be an honorary Texan than a snow bird. ;)

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Better to be an honorary Texan than a snow bird. ;)

Yeah, snowbirds get hammered no matter where you find them. Here in the Land of Lovely Winters, we mutter quietly under our breaths about wusses who head south during the finest time of the year.

• Like 2

My idea of snow was driving up to the Sequoias when I was young, heading to Colorado during spring break after moving to Texas, or heaven forbid we get an inch of snow here in South East Texas .. then the whole area shuts down due to a weather emergency. 

• Haha 1

One of the greatest advantages of living in a large country that spans several climatic zones is that there's someplace for everyone to feel comfortable.  Even if you don't live in a spot that matches your climate preference perfectly, you get to visit one without crossing national borders.  As I grow older and travel to more parts of the country, I'm softening some of my early biases about what's "perfect."  Yes, I still roll my eyes at snowbirds who leave town at the first signs of winter.  When I was young, though, my idea of Hell was a place that is hot, dry, and sandy  -- sadly an image that also fits much of the Southwest.  My opinion of Hell hasn't changed much, but I've been in some very pretty parts of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. And I've met some fine people who choose to live there -- and not in a place where Hell freezes over.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

One of the greatest advantages of living in a large country that spans several climatic zones is that there's someplace for everyone to feel comfortable.  Even if you don't live in a spot that matches your climate preference perfectly, you get to visit one without crossing national borders.  As I grow older and travel to more parts of the country, I'm softening some of my early biases about what's "perfect."  Yes, I still roll my eyes at snowbirds who leave town at the first signs of winter.  When I was young, though, my idea of Hell was a place that is hot, dry, and sandy  -- sadly an image that also fits much of the Southwest.  My opinion of Hell hasn't changed much, but I've been in some very pretty parts of Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. And I've met some fine people who choose to live there -- and not in a place where Hell freezes over.

The first time I ever saw real desert up close and personal I was sixteen. We'd driven down to a place on the Colorado River not far from Lake Havasu to try and find the gold mine my father and several partners had worked back in the early thirties. We were out in a rented boat one late afternoon watching the sunset color the rocks on the Arizona side, and I was changed for life.  I couldn't get enough of that country. It seemed so pure—no weeds, no scrub,  no trees. Just the rock, as if all the leftover material from the making of the Earth had been dumped there and forgotten.

Nowadays I don't often get into country that pure, but I still gravitate to the wide open arid spaces between the Sierras/Cascades and the Rocky Mountains.

As for the snow; I did my tour. Minnesota, October through February. I liked it fine for as long as it went. It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there ;-).

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lureo said:

My remark was not only about the language strickly but more widely about the culture.

The culture is what the users bring into SL. SL doesnt dictate a lot, what we can do and what we cant.
You can rent a parcel and ban all visitors refusing walking on their hands. Thats absolutely fine, if its your culture. Just do it.

This is typicaly capitalist culture. It is not monopoly but ... you have linden. shops you make business etc..

How do you get your food in RL? You have no currency at all? How do you get clothes? Someone just gives it to you? How did you get the computer to make able to post in the forum?
In my country a computer runs with electricity, what i have to pay for. You feed your one with self grown potatoes?

in some place you need to dress in special way.

Tell us where this rule doesnt apply.
Try to enter a church naked or in a clowns costume, and see what happens. No matter if its a catholic one in italy, or a mosque in turkey, or a hindu temple in asia.

formal I learn what formal means it means like in television with american movie. In my country  nobody wear like this except movie star in Cannes. And this is only TV not Real life.

Using a business dress in an office is following the same guidelines like being forced to use a traditional costume for the annual rain dance event of a tribe living outside of what you would call civilisation.

• Like 1

We can also just stop feeding the troll. Check all his posts, its all so obvious trolling.

Hard to imagine someone truly being that ignorant, not even a French guy...

(that last was joke, before I unchain another French Revolution...)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

We can also just stop feeding the troll. Check all his posts, its all so obvious trolling.

Hard to imagine someone truly being that ignorant, not even a French guy...

(that last was joke, before I unchain another French Revolution...)

And/or they have no experience of the real world outside of le sous-sol de Maman.

31 minutes ago, Lureo said:

Where are all anticapitalists ?  There are not here 🤔 I am the only one.

you'r not living off grid in the woods, you have at least a digital device and subscription to a ISP, so you'r no anticaptitalist, at most you have some sympathic thoughts, but you join the capitalistic market and life by being here, and in that: capitalist

in any case an international service require one international language...

actually the international language is the english...

before it was french and much before it was latin. travelling in Asia required to bring a member of the  jewish religion to speak to the local jewish that translated it in the local official language. I discoverd this in same old book but I do not remember wich one.

so we need english as an international language and we need it is the same everywhere as it takes same time to learn it.

you can translate the notecard with the rules with a translation service like google translate but it will not resolves the problem that you indicate:

- there are same english speaking persons that are racists... they are racists - the other ones are not

we should not talk to them as they where identical....

- there are same american people who are too much nationalists.... they are nationalists....

- there is same people who refuses to accept the peace in second life and refuses to combact in the combact areas... they use their sims as a trap and you are the bird - sort of

maybe they tell you that is because you are a foreigner but they simply are criminals,... that try to hide themselves... their activity and so on

there is a problem

I am not sorry because my english it is not perfect and I do not worry to correct this post :-) 😂

my second life name is  - free (libbberamente)

26.PNG

Edited by libbberamente
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Lureo said:

This is typicaly capitalist culture. It is not monopoly but ... you have linden. shops you make business etc..

But that is not american culture. Thats how most of the world has always operated, even before the USA existed. Not having a currency, not being able to open a business, that would be the remarkable exception from the norm of human society.

18 hours ago, Lureo said:

in some place you need to dress in special way. formal I learn what formal means it means like in television with american movie.

This is not american culture either. The concept of different types of clothes being required or reserved for certain locations and events is a very universal concept. Formal clothing simply means clothes that are worn for festive events...and thats also not american. Same for the clothes, that are considered formal in SL. None of them are american. You'll find this type of clothes all around the world. Suits for men and long dresses for women aren't an american concept.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Using a business dress in an office is following the same guidelines like being forced to use a traditional costume for the annual rain dance event of a tribe living outside of what you would call civilisation.

Do you have any idea how offensive that statement is? We aren't stereotypes.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Do you have any idea how offensive that statement is? We aren't stereotypes.

Agreed.

59 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Aren’t there tribes that wear costumes for rain dances? 

It's not a "costume".

14 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Do you have any idea how offensive that statement is?

No, i had no clue at all.
Just wanted to point out the fact that almost everyone has to follow rules, no matter of the society you live in. Sometimes more, sometimes less. And the rain dance came into my mind first, thats why i took it. I also could have written about how a bavarian like me goes to the Oktoberfest to kill some brain cells drinking vast amounts of beer in a colored Dirndl dress, and to throw up behind the tent later on celebrate.
So, please take my apologies. Wasnt meant i a bad way at all.

13 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

It's not a "costume".

My very limited english vocabulary forced me to use that expression. Whats the better word for it?

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1876 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.