Is Secondlife american culture ?

Lureo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SL is developed by an American company, so yes, an American culture and presence is bound to happen.

It was the reverse when i played Asian mmorpgs.  I expected Asian influence in their games though, so that didn't bother me.

As for English, it's the de-facto language around the world for business and communication, mostly because of the former British Empire's dominance around the world followed by the United States' dominance after WW2.  Before English, there was French, and before that was Latin.  Nothing can be done about it until British and American influence wanes, which in all likelihood, will never happen in our lifetimes.  It is, what it is.

2 hours ago, animats said:

You must not drive or fly in SL.

Been sailing longer then you Animats, and yes, I know the work you were doing, I was testing your bike for a while.

My handoffs are not really worse then anyone elses.

10 hours ago, Fionalein said:
10 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I meant American in the land sense...

The not so small remains of the Maya population might want to have a word in the extents of "America" 😉

Is meant North America, Central America, South America, or the whole shebang?

11 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Reservations are not US lands.

I'm pretty sure they are. Try declaring your independence in any meaningful way, and see what happens.

My bad there is one area, where indian lands are considered sovereign, when it comes to making contracts with waste disposal companies, free of any EPA controls... because hey, they are free sovereign nations doncha know.

https://www.ejnet.org/ej/toxicthreattoindianlands.pdf

As usual white America s h i t s on the indians yet again.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff

19 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

If you ask any American what their nationality is they will never utter the words "I am an American".

/me offers ItHadTo a teleport to anywhere in Europe with lots of tourists from the U.S.

Hang out there for a wee while and you won't have to ask, they'll tell you all by themselves :)

As if it wasn't clear from the accent already :D

Edited by Bitsy Buccaneer
  • Like 3

On 3/28/2019 at 3:01 PM, ItHadToComeToThis said:

For there to be American culture, there would have to be Americans. If you ask any American what their nationality is they will never utter the words "I am an American".

How many Americans - you know, us USA folks - have you specifically asked that question to?  I've always said that I was American and a great many of the people I know say the same thing.  

Based on my many decades of being an American and living among them, I'd say you are generalizing a bit too much.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

On 3/28/2019 at 4:01 PM, ItHadToComeToThis said:

If you ask any American what their nationality is they will never utter the words "I am an American".

When I visited Europe and people inquired (they rarely did, they already knew, as Bitsy does) I told them I was American. When I'm elsewhere in the US and people ask where I'm from, I answer Wisconsin. When in Wisconsin, I answer Port Washington. When in Port Washington, I answer Mars.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

When I visited Europe and people inquired (they rarely did, they already knew, as Bitsy does) I told them I was American. When I'm elsewhere in the US and people ask where I'm from, I answer Wisconsin. When in Wisconsin, I answer Port Washington. When in Port Washington, I answer Mars.

Well... that explains that.

🔥

• Like 1

Honestly,I run into more people from other countries than I do in the states..

Most of my friends in SL have been from across the pond pretty much my whole SL.. Maybe it's the places I go or something..

I never really met a lot of people from around the world until I started to get into SL.. So it's been a really good learning experience in opening my eyes to over there..

It helped to sift a lot of bull crap I got fed growing up from people that didn't know any better themselves..

But many from other places have had the same thing happen to them when it comes to the U.S... So it was a lot of fun and enjoyable sitting with friends from across the pond, myth busting each others bull crap we were fed as kids..hehehe

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I grew up in New England, where the word "Yankee" has its own meaning.  If you are not from the U.S., a "Yankee" is anyone who is from the U.S.  Inside the U.S., though, a Yankee is anyone north of the Mason-Dixon line ( or, more broadly, a "Northerner").   Northerners, however, will consistently use "Yankee" to mean "people from one of the six New England states.   Having grown up in New England, however, I know that Yankees really only live in its three northern states (Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine).  My sister, who lived much of her adult life in New Hampshire, assures me that the only true Yankees live in Vermont.  Now that she has moved to Vermont, she has learned that a Yankee is a Vermonter who eats pie for breakfast. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 3/28/2019 at 6:20 PM, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Ladies and gentlemen bare witness to a rare and remarkable event. An American is actually admitting to being American. There are those of us who have waited what seems like aeons and had almost given up hope. I have quoted the post incase she tried to change her mind.

You must be very very new to the forums.. I have been saying fro years that we as Americans need to stop the whole _________ - American crap and just call ourselves Americans. It would go a long way to uniting this country. 

11 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I grew up in New England, where the word "Yankee" has its own meaning.  If you are not from the U.S., a "Yankee" is anyone who is from the U.S.  Inside the U.S., though, a Yankee is anyone north of the Mason-Dixon line ( or, more broadly, a "Northerner").   Northerners, however, will consistently use "Yankee" to mean "people from one of the six New England states.   Having grown up in New England, however, I know that Yankees really only live in its three northern states (Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine).  My sister, who lived much of her adult life in New Hampshire, assures me that the only true Yankees live in Vermont.  Now that she has moved to Vermont, she has learned that a Yankee is a Vermonter who eats pie for breakfast. 

As a native Bostonian, ----- the Yankees. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

must be very very new to the forums.. I have been saying fro years that we as Americans need to stop the whole _________ - American crap and just call ourselves Americans. It would go a long way to uniting this country

In theory I agree. 

But you really expect a Texan not to mention it?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You must be very very new to the forums.. I have been saying fro years that we as Americans need to stop the whole _________ - American crap and just call ourselves Americans. It would go a long way to uniting this country.

Doesn't that require we, as Americans, call other Americans "Americans"? If I were standing on a street corner in Port Washington and someone yelled "Go back where you came from!" at me (I've witnessed effectively this at the last two Fish Day festivals on the lakefront, when women wearing hijabs and orthodox Jewish men in black were harassed), I might think twice about calling myself an American. I stopped flying the US flag on the 4th of July two years ago and will start putting it out again when the harassment stops.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Everyone knows that anyone born north of Shreveport is a yank. A damn yank at that.

38 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Doesn't that require we, as Americans, call other Americans "Americans"? If I were standing on a street corner in Port Washington and someone yelled "Go back where you came from!" at me (I've witnessed effectively this at the last two Fish Day festivals on the lakefront, when women wearing hijabs and orthodox Jewish men in black were harassed), I might think twice about calling myself an American. I stopped flying the US flag on the 4th of July two years ago and will start putting it out again when the harassment stops.

I think those people telling others to go back to where they came from are less American than the ones they are being jerks to..

If they had any bit of it in them, they'd pay attention to what's written on the statue of liberty..

And if they have no idea what that say's,then they are even less of one to be opening their mouth's at all....

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

/me breathes a sigh of relief having been born in Lake Charles.

Ever know anyone from around Alex? There were two of us in SL at one time. She rented from me. lol

My niece used to live in LC. Would be trippy if you had ever met her.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.