What Inspires Your Style and Fashion in SL?

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Or does it have one? Who does classic Audrey Hepburn well???

It was easier to find before mesh. Mesh doesn't do the style justice because you just can't get mesh skirts to move correctly if it's long enough to cover the thighs much less knees. There are a few dresses I've found but then I have to use alpha cuts to hide my legs, which I loathe. So nowadays I tend to go more boho with the occasional dress up day paying homage to Audrey. 

23 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I like hats too, but I wish more creators made them with attached hair styles that I liked. It can be really difficult to resize and modify mesh hair to fit under something, and too often I end up resizing the hat to the point that it just looks kind of stupid on me.

Lately, I've started using my favorite hat hairs and hiding the hat or detaching the hat so I can use that hair with other hats. Because it's just hard to find hair I like with hats. Truth hair, since it is mod and nearly always has the hat as a separate link can either be made transparent or completely detached and used with hats that don't have hair attached. Here is an example of a Truth hair with a Eudora hat.

hathair_001.thumb.png.15d8b41d1fdcf122f4c1370dbfe6300f.png

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I lifted my tee to show him the bra, and asked if he'd like to see the tattoo under it.

And this is why my attempt at dating was very brief.

I assume it was very brief because he completely fell for you that moment and happily ever after and so on? ;)

Dating sucks... I quit that looong ago. Somehow they expect you to be social and show interest and all that sorts of nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I sort of flip-flop from 90's grunge or punk mixed with modern American or Japanese street fashion to a girlish dolly or lolita style for my main non-roleplay avatars.

My robot roleplay characters tend to mostly wear futuristic styles: latex, neon, thigh high boots, light colors with high shine. A few do have a more dollish fashion to them though, or else have one or two outfits like that. It was partly inspired from an image I saw inworld for a product from :::SOLE:::, and partly based on Japanese maids.

Any other roleplay characters I make tend to dress in very soft and delicate clothes. Pastel blues, rosey pinks, pale yellow, light gold, and white. Silks, robes, or thin, flowing fabrics. I'd say a lot of their fashion is based on Roman, Greek, and Celtic goddesses, and Galadriel from Lord of the Rings.

Edited by Reyetta Claven
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Keep an eye out, and let me know what you find! My ex, who is sweet enough to remember that I liked 60s styles, sent me a link to one of the Collabor88 events a while back that was thematically focused on the 60s. I didn't find a lot that I liked (and a lot of what I did find was made for Maitreya, while I wear Slink), but I did find one or two items there.

Will do! I vaguely remember the C88 60's event, but I know I went and did get one outfit for an event I was hosting. And if you find any for Maitreya let me know! :-)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes. My biggest objection to the "skimpy" clothing we see so much of in SL isn't moral, it's aesthetic. So much of it is just gawd-awful looking. Why cover your bits with something that looks like crap? It'd look much much better, and less tacky, to just go nude. 

A lot of it is poorly textured or just overall poorly design.

We could all use more friends like you!

I also share the note cards for flf, Saturday sale, and  notify them of any other sale or event I think they'd be interested in. Orwar gets random presents occasionally. It's much easier to just buy something and send it to him, than to try to get back to the crowded event and have to deal with lag.

Well, again, it works, whatever you're doing. Your pics here are always lovely. I particularly like your look in your forum avatar! 

Thanks. I just go with what I like or what I think looks cute on me.

• Like 1

If I had to describe my Style. I guess it'd be, part of the time, gothic, Decadent and refined, The other time, cutesy "Kawaii" or a Fae trying to be high fashion. with a sprinkling of playful latex when in BDSM-sims. Or to borrow from a meme, I've one foot in a puddle of darkness, another in a hello kitty roller skate.

The only real common point is Androgyny. Being Non binary I  try  to make my sl-self  as ambiguous in gender as possible outside of roleplay.

Been thinking about this a bit more. 

Looks I gravitate to:  Strong, Edgy, Dominant. Serious. Unexpected. Haughty, Structured, Equestrian, Tight, Rock, Buttoned Up, Buttoned Down, Aggressive, Kink, Coy, Men's Wear, Pin Up, Punk, Pop Surreal (my alts mostly)

Textures: Leather, Fur, Latex, Feathers, Zippers, Silvered Metals, Lace, Plush, Shaggy, Velvet, Shiny

Colors: Black, White, Reds of all kinds (mostly dark), metallic tones, gray,  Going through my Flickr I rarely deviate from this palette of colors unless I find a piece of clothing that just shouts out to me that it needs to be purchased in another color due to it's style. Or because it was a Gacha and it was the color I happened to receive and I liked the piece enough not to care what color I got from the machine. 

A Few Female Inspirations: Audrey Hepburn, Kate Bush, Madonna, Patti Smith, Courtney Love, Debbie Harry, Ann Margret, Marilyn Monroe, Bettie Page, Kristen Stewart

Hair is a big thing for me as it seems to be for others here too. Hair might dictate a entire photo shoot if it's really interesting and editorial. This happens a lot if it happens to be one on the shorter side since I usually gravitate to long styles. I'll build a look on how the hair "feels" to me; like what era it reminds me of and then find clothing to finish it off. Or work it the other way if a skin applier has a particular look - like YS&YS has this great older Madonna inspired makeup that really does capture her from the 80's. I still use that one quite a bit, it's just so good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BelindaN said:

So my style is basically the perfect version of me living in a perfect world.

Well, yes! Your world, your etc.!

In a lot of ways, your experience in establishing a look is like mine. But I think we go to different types of clubs.

The SuperHero thing came late. I associate strongly with WonderWoman, having grown up in an environment without guys, and having to struggle to get through, and wearing the costume gives me a huge lift. Finding Hawk gave me a similar feeling.

This is such a great thing! Using your fashion here to reinforce your sense of who you are is really what fashion should be about, isn't it?

I know that the 'Barbie' look isn't to everyones taste, but hey, I have a lot of fun as me here and it's who I am in SL

Meh. We're all Barbies here. Goth Barbie. Bondage Barbie. Drow Barbie. Whatevs. Anyone who is going to judge you on the basis of how you choose to dress here is an idiot, and doesn't deserve to be even a Barbie. Maybe we'll let them be Skipper. Maybe.

I think I've said enough for now, but thanks Scylla for starting this off! :)

You're welcome! Thanks for joining in!! You are the Founding Mother of the Forum Angels, after all.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Why would you want to wear things you don't like????

The "Hello Kitty" outfit I mentioned is something I don't like. Sometimes you gotta wear stuff you don't like in service of a higher purpose. I donated the entire outfit after the date, not because the date didn't go well, but because it had served its purpose.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

SL it's kind of the same though..I look for something made well and in the best texturing I can find.. The mesh could be outstanding,but if it's just colored rather than textured and using SL lighting alone to make the texturing..I'll probably take a pass on it.

Yeah. I said somewhere above that I'm pretty choosy about what I'll actually drop Lindens on, and that's true. It really has to be something that I think I'll wear many times. But the rare exception is finding something that is so well made that I just admire it as an object. I have jacket/skirt set that is like that: it's really really not my "style," but the damned thing looks so good and fits so well . . .

I need to learn more about materials and specular textures.

11 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If I had to pick something that inspired any kind of style..I'd just have to say,everyday life and moods.

It's nice to have a wide enough variety of things available in your inventory to reflect any given mood. I'm not there quite yet . . .. I still need 1) "Elegant and Classic" and 2) "Where the hell is my coffee?"

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The "Hello Kitty" outfit I mentioned is something I don't like. Sometimes you gotta wear stuff you don't like in service of a higher purpose.

I'd have thought, given its storied history, that it would have pride of place above the mantlepiece.

9 hours ago, Orwar said:

I do take a bit of an issue with people who dress up in ways that suggests they are into BDSM, when they don't really understand what it entails. Collars in particular, because as you say, it does signal that the person either 'should' or 'wants' for it to be attached to someone's chain (especially when it says 'wants'; a submissive who wears a collar 'to show he/she is submissive' is just counter-intuitive, as it is largely the same as wearing a wedding ring - it means that you're taken).

This is a really well-taken point. Sometimes "fashion" can be rather tone-deaf, or even just crassly exploitative, and to a great degree, I think bondage chic is an example of that. It's turning people's identities and lives into wearable accessories and costumes. It reminds me a little of the blessedly short-lived vogue 10 years ago for women wearing skins that suggested physical abuse (not scars or battle wounds, but things like split lips, bruises, and black eyes) not for RP, but as a sort of fashion accessory. It was in really poor taste.

9 hours ago, Orwar said:

Neph does have a spiked choker though; but it's not a BDSM collar, but an attribute of punk - there are several different ways to interpret its meaning (and to some, it's JUST fashionable); some have told me that it symbolises the way they are shackled by social convention and how they want people to see their enslavement to society. I don't apply too much philosophical thought to it, though; early on it was because I wanted a punk-ish neck ornament and figured that with a choker I wouldn't have to edit out any neck seams. Now it's just one of 'the things I have' when I want to balance out her apparel with some accessories.

Yes. Before I bought the outfit with the collar, I thought it was a choker rather than a BDSM collar (the demo didn't come with one for me to see). I'd wear a nice choker. Maybe not a spiked collar though.

9 hours ago, Orwar said:

It's happened on several occasions though, that I've joked to my partners when we've been out shopping that I never intended for Neph to 'look like a domme'. By now I've just accepted it, though; and it does appear clear enough as she just about never gets hit on by dominant guys - but frequently by submissive guys.

Off topic, I suppose, but it's weird that I've been approached twice within the last month by explicitly and avowedly submissive men. That's a new one for me.

Sadly for them, I can't even dominate my cat.

9 hours ago, Orwar said:

Blasphemy. Iggy always belongs. To me, personally, he's just... Stuck in my teen-punk years. Still, whenever I listen to Siouxsie and the Banshees' cover of The Passenger, I have to follow it up with Iggy singing the same song. Don't ever ask me which version I prefer - you'll receive such a long-winded, pseudo-philosophical answer it's going to make your ears bleed. He's a bit difficult in some ways though, a lot of punks and skins alike refuse to admit to liking his music as he's 'too mainstream' or 'too pop'. I swear, a few beers later and going the usual (i.e. backwards chronologically) route through Oi! history, he'll be following up Bad Manners every time without fail. Unless the chronology is derailed and someone brings up The Gonads. 

Amen.

One of the Happy Moments of my utterly undistinguished career as a closet acoustic guitarist was when I figured out how to use the bass strings to reproduce something like the feeling and rhythm of the moment when the drum and bass come into The Passenger, around the 9th bar.

I'm very easily pleased.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Lately, I've started using my favorite hat hairs and hiding the hat or detaching the hat so I can use that hair with other hats. Because it's just hard to find hair I like with hats. Truth hair, since it is mod and nearly always has the hat as a separate link can either be made transparent or completely detached and used with hats that don't have hair attached.

This is kind of brilliant. I am going to definitely try this!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reyetta Claven said:

I sort of flip-flop from 90's grunge or punk mixed with modern American or Japanese street fashion to a girlish dolly or lolita style for my main non-roleplay avatars.

My robot roleplay characters tend to mostly wear futuristic styles: latex, neon, thigh high boots, light colors with high shine. A few do have a more dollish fashion to them though, or else have one or two outfits like that. It was partly inspired from an image I saw inworld for a product from :::SOLE:::, and partly based on Japanese maids.

Any other roleplay characters I make tend to dress in very soft and delicate clothes. Pastel blues, rosey pinks, pale yellow, light gold, and white. Silks, robes, or thin, flowing fabrics. I'd say a lot of their fashion is based on Roman, Greek, and Celtic goddesses, and Galadriel from Lord of the Rings.

I like that you really run the gamut, through styles that are pretty much utterly unlike each other. A few people here have shown that kind of catholicity of taste.

I sometimes feel very one-note in my own style.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'd have thought, given its storied history, that it would have pride of place above the mantlepiece.

The house just isn't big enough to store all that crap. After getting my first iPhone, I started photographing silly or interesting things I'd done or made, figuring that takes no space. I was wrong. The first time I sat down to organize snapshots, I realized I was setting myself up for endless hours of reliving a past that would probably not be as interesting as I remembered it, and hopefully not as interesting as the silly things I could be doing rather than sorting photographs.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I like that you really run the gamut, through styles that are pretty much utterly unlike each other. A few people here have shown that kind of catholicity of taste.

I sometimes feel very one-note in my own style.

Honestly, getting involved in basically every community SL has to offer has really diversified my fashion sense. I've definitely gone though one-note phases before settling where I currently am. I think it also helps that I never delete anything I pay for, so I've got tons of pieces to pick and choose!

There's nothing wrong with being one-note though! As long as you have something that works for you, that you're comfortable wearing, that's what matters! SL' is basically just a more advanced version of those dress-up doll games from the early 2000s anyway, so whatever's fun for you is what's right!

Edited by Reyetta Claven
Added some stuff.
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Reyetta Claven said:

As long as you have something that works for you, that you're comfortable wearing, that's what matters!

I think I am. I'm generally pretty happy with the way that my look has evolved. But I think it has to keep on evolving.

I also think, however, that I should at least experiment a bit more, here and there. It would be nice to have something really pretty, for instance: at the moment, I really don't.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

3 hours ago, AylinVali said:

If I had to describe my Style. I guess it'd be, part of the time, gothic, Decadent and refined, The other time, cutesy "Kawaii" or a Fae trying to be high fashion. with a sprinkling of playful latex when in BDSM-sims. Or to borrow from a meme, I've one foot in a puddle of darkness, another in a hello kitty roller skate.

The only real common point is Androgyny. Being Non binary I  try  to make my sl-self  as ambiguous in gender as possible outside of roleplay.

I was just looking again at your pic of yourself as Puck. It's a really great photo, but more than that, your look captures a whole bunch of things: unearthliness, magic, mischief, and a bit of allure too. You look very Puckish, in fact!

I'd love to see more of your decadent and refined goth looks though! I aspire to decadence and refinement.

(A girl can dream, right?)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think I am. I'm generally pretty happy with the way that my look has evolved. But I think it has to keep on evolving.

I also think, however, that I should at least experiment a bit more, here and there. It would be nice to have something really pretty, for instance: at the moment, I really don't.

I absolutely love shopping. Message me inworld and i'd be happy to help you find some stuff. Seriously. I'd do it here but I don't want to derail the thread. Haha

• Thanks 1

Basically it's just clothing I'd wear IRL. My clothing choices are always youthful, pink and bubbly. Really into 80s fashions as well.

I don't really go out anywhere, just work, home, and my boyfriend's house. When you go out for fun...you waste money, and I'm saving by staying in. So I don't get to dress up much. My SL wardrobe is just a reflection of clowns I already own (similar & not exact, obvs.) 

• Like 1

My style is all over the place. Before joining SL I was a strict tomboy. I hated dresses of all shapes and sizes. But after I joined I started to learn to appreciate them and gradually came to love them. My Tomboy nature is still deeply embedded, and you can see that from my inventory,  but what I wear for the day - or days - depends on my mood ... and those fluctuate a lot throughout the day.

I could dress in panties and a pull-up (click to strip) top with a fuzzy cardigan that hangs off my forearms and combat boots with tall socks and bloody knees ... then 5-10 minutes later I could dress semi-formal. 

I don't know if there is one solitary person that I can pinpoint that inspired my love for a bit of everything.

But what I do know is that I am extremely picky about what I spend my money on. Details, Color availability, how it looks on my avatar...That sort of thing. I don't impulse buy unless I know for certain that I am getting a deal.

• Like 1

Scylla, great topic and nice job involving yourself and moving the thread along! Anyway, for me I can relate to everyone’s comments in one way or another. As a little girl my biggest influence was always my mother. When she was 18 she work daily with and for, YSL himself, as his personal assistant.  As a result of that experience, my mother’s stlye was heavily influenced by all the master Italian and French designers like Gucci, YSL etc.. (Coco as well).... so growing up with that, definitely influenced my style decisions as an adult. With that said, most day to day Fashion trends in many US cities are decidedly casual and fashion backwards compared with cities like Milan, Paris etc... I fell into that super casual trap myself. My rl job as an interior designer requires me to dress the part “as a designer”  for clients and that usually means black everything... jeans, shoes, hats, sunglasses skirts, tops, jackets! Now leggings are the new official uniform in Southern California. 😎

I play in SL for fun. Period. It’s a way to destress (usually), explore, be creative, connect with amazing people and experiment with style and fashion. In SL I get to be supermodel tall (5’6 in rl), I have the ability to change my hairstyles on a whim (blond in rl) I can walk around in 6-8” heels 👠 all day and never break a sweat... and I can fly... seriously ;)  So, I’m not really trying to replicate my rl limitations or clone myself into SL, because for me half the fun is pushing my Avi into experiences never ever possible for us in rl.

My typical day in SL is shopping, shopping and shopping.... then discovering a cute look (many I’d never even attempt in rl) and then find a sim to shoot a  photo and then finally sharing my pics with you all! So, with so much clothing available for pennies (compared to buying an identical outfit in rl) I’m like a kid in the candy store and get into the everything is free mode. So, yes Zeta... I too am a SHOPAHOLIC AND SL IS TO BLAME!!! Ok, now I feel so much better...., whew.... ok..., breathing... better ..., now.... 

I love that I can buy a batgirl outfit for $1 or a designer coat for $2! I love to become a plat blond one day and raven blk the next. I have thousands of amazing items to mix and match, and that ability to creatively curate a wardrobe in SL is now influencing my style choices in rl today. (slowly migrating away from black) I discover design styling in-world that I now put together in rl! I’m now way better at pushing the fashion needle forward for my personal choices today as a direct result of my SL addiction! So I experiment a lot, and when you guys seem to like a look or outfit that I love 💕  too.... that affirmation has had a very positive effect on me spillingover into my rl fashion sensibility. 

Edited by Saravendi
  • Like 6

A lovely story Sara, and I'm very envious of your childhood!!! There's no doubt that SL is influencing me in RL, and in a strange way it's helping me to find myself. Although my SL self started out as my RL clone, I'm evolving constantly.

And setting up Salty, my alt,  has allowed me to experiment more with fashion styles I would never have considered, but now am comfortable with! And in the last few days I've fired up my second Alt, having been led astray by various people and I'm forcing myself to experiment further with style although deviating from what I love is the hardest thing! My new sister will be revealed when she's ready. 😊

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.