What Inspires Your Style and Fashion in SL?

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, thinking about my clothing purchases in SL over the past few months, I've come to realize that I'm waaaaay more style-conscious than I was when I first started SL in 2008. Back then, I mostly dressed as I had in my 20s: lots of tee shirts or roomy tops, jeans, leather or jean jackets, and nice boots. (Boots were the one thing I spent serious money on back then.) It was a look that was easy, cheap, familiar, and comfortable.

More recently, however, I've been both more conscious of my style decisions, and a lot more adventurous than I used to be. That's because, for the first time really, I'm actually sort of cultivating a "look" that consciously echoes RL fashions and cultures that I like. (As opposed to my more-or-less unconscious adoption of a slightly out-of-date university student "grunge" or "indie" look when I first started.)

I am not a HUGE fashion maven, but there are some designers I especially like in RL. I love love love Helmut Lang, and I also like Alexander McQueen and Rick Owens and his imitators. I think that's influenced my clothing choice somewhat (esp. Lang: when I'm buying a new dress or jacket I sometimes ask myself if it's something of which he might approve).

944781522_Helmut-Lang-2019Blank.png.b7c4d648f1750ef68000a703ae35e23c.png

Mostly though I am influenced by the characteristic "styles" of two different neighbourhoods in my city (Toronto), and my SL wardrobe now seems, mostly, to be divided into two corresponding camps. One is a look inspired by Kensington Market here, which is mostly characterized by a sort of urban street style: battered leathers, Doc Martens, tees, re-purposed vintage clothing, jeans, and army surplus.

109448226_KensingtonMarket-Blank.thumb.jpg.3d2776daf93b36f32b31bc82c999ec2d.jpg

The other is the much more chic (and expensive) Queen Street West neighbourhood, which is the old "garment district" of the city, and now, at its west end anyway, dominated by small independently-owned boutiques and designer stores, most of which tend to fall into the Rick Owens school: leather for everything, lots of zippers, asymmetrical designs that are sometimes a bit over-the-top, and mostly sombre colours.

1549444553_QueenWest-Blank.thumb.jpg.5f76e460651269665bfd9ba2e6ef4c14.jpg

I can't afford much in the way of Queen West clothing in RL (yet alone anything by a Helmut Lang or Rick Owens!), but in SL . . .

It's sort of got to the point now where, when I log in and decide what to wear, I'm almost asking myself: am I going to Queen West today to dance at a chic club with all of the Beautiful Trendy People, and where the cover and the drinks leave me reeling with sticker shock . . . or will I be dodging cyclists and permanently damaging my hearing listening to a garage band playing in the cellar of a tattoo shop or slightly tattered but hip Thai restaurant on Kensington Avenue?

In other words, my fashion choices seem to be as much about cultures as about looks.

Where do you get your inspirations? Does your style reflect your RL look, or your RL fashion aspirations? Is it based mostly on SL designers rather than RL ones?

Why do you buy and wear what you do????

• Like 6

I think I have no particular style at all...

I can log in a SL session for a few hours and go trough loads of completely different outfits. I do love to change for the occasion. When visiting a certain sim style, I love dressing up in a fitting style. When hanging on a tropical sim, I go summer/swim wear, and so on. It does not add any practical value, but its just for the visuals and it adds to the experience a lot to me. And its just plain fun.

Maybe a bit out of control sometimes, I am a tiny bit impulsive when shopping. Can spend to much money on cloths that I would like on a certain photo on a sim, and never wear it again. And I forget to demo, a lot... And I might have alts with inventories that could make main avies jelous. So yeah... Hi, I am Zeta, and i'm a shopoholic.

• Like 6

This is a very good question. The simple answer for me is that I tend to choose things that I would wear or do/did wear in real life. I no longer follow fashion in rl like I did when I was in my 20's, so that does not really affect my purchases. In fact, I should probably pay attention to it more than I do!! In sl I am often drawn more to casual items, but I have been trying to branch out a bit more.

• Like 2

When I first started SL, I wore a lot of very skimpy outfits, exploring that side of myself, since there is pretty much no way I'd ever wear anything skimpy in RL - even back when I had that super model body.  I've just always been way to self-conscious. 

Nowadays though, I often use SL to express my girly side, wearing many of the cute dresses that I have no place to wear in RL.  If I showed up at my job in a dress of any sort, they'd probably call the nearest psych ward.  I'm a tech engineer - we wear jeans, not dresses.  Not too mention that some of the styles just wouldn't look right on my RL body - because I don't have that super model look anymore.  

Since I've come back to SL and gotten a mesh body, I've been wearing more pant outfits.  I never wore them before because I just hated the way they fit and looked before mesh.  Even though I do wear pants and shorts now, my preference is still cute dresses, preferably ones with flared skirts, with a length anywhere from mid-thigh down to tea-length.  I actually get really frustrated at all of the 'barely cover my bottom' skirts/dresses that there are in SL.

Back in the day, I also loved the flexi ballgowns.  Only recently have I started seeing some mesh gowns with flexi add-ons that don't send the CI spiking like crazy, so I've started picking up a few of those again. 

So... I'm not sure my style is influenced much by the creators in SL or by anything specific in RL, other that me mostly wearing things that I can't or don't wear in RL for one reason or another.

• Like 5

There's a presumption in your question that I have a style or fashion, and that something inspires it.

I just wear what I like, and that seems fairly independent of current trends, which I do not follow. In RL, I spend most of the day wearing one of three old sweatshirts that are covered with paint and a pair of similarly messy jeans, because I'm too damned lazy and/or forgetful to carry rags or paper towels with me. I wear Sperry boat shoes because they're comfy and have a smooth sole that doesn't accumulate mud or debris. If I'm doing heavy work, I wear my steel toed work boots.

On the increasingly rare occasion that I dress up to go out, I'll wear a blazer and slacks or a skirt, a blouse and perhaps a bow tie. I probably look like I'm ready to do your taxes. If I have one weakness, it's for wearing one of the 24 pair of pumps I purchased when I got married, because they were simple, they were reasonably comfortable, and they elevated me enough to see over the piles of sale items at my local Ace Hardware. Half of the boxes are still unopened and the shoes seem to be shrinking with age. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to wear them.

I wear the same style glasses in SL as in RL, not because they somehow suit my face or my sensibility, but because I can't be bothered to try on 50 pairs of frames when it's time for a new pair. I only look out through my glasses, so it's really only the prescription that matters. I have thought about getting cat glasses in celebration of the women of Gary Larson's Far Side, but so far I've only done that in SL, where my Rosie glasses get close.

In RL, my hair has gone from short at birth to waist length in my teens, to short now. As with my sweatshirts, this is a practical consideration. It's a lot easier to wash paint out of short hair, and there's no need for a dryer.

In SL, I don't wear painted sweats and jeans because there's no advantage in doing so. These days, I spend most of my time wearing the li'l devil avatar given to me by Par, because he thought it suited me. It does. Ask Par what inspired him to create my style.

Now, in defense of your presumption, people have told me that I dress like me, though usually when I'm wearing lots of house paint. When I put on war paint, I usually hear "Maddy, is that you?"

ETA: I do refuse to wear any fashions that somehow advertise their creator (via logo, initials etc.). I'll start wearing such clothing once I see the designers wearing things showing "MMM" (my RL initials).

ETA2: I should mention that, when the warm weather comes and I head outdoors, I swap the sweatshirts and jeans for sun dresses and wide brim hats. They're comfy and are a bit like wearing a wheelbarrow when you want to carry things.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

I often will see something on TV or the Internet that catches my eye, then try to duplicate it in SL. Many times a sim will inspire a particular look. There is not really any grand master style however I stick  to

• Like 5

Back in the day when I first moved to Manchester, I used to go to a well known rock club (which has since closed down) and I always wore the same outfit for it; a white "poet" style shirt with frills, a black leather vest over the top, and blue jeans. The club closed down long ago but when I started in SL, that was the look I aimed for right from the beginning. Later on, I bought a pair of red Converse high-tops in RL, and that got added to my SL outfit too.

The long red hair and pointy ears, which I do not have in RL, are a tribute to my favourite fictional character; Maedhros from The Silmarillion (I got a little obsessed with him due to the fact that he shares the same disability that I do. Plus, he's like totally gay). 

And that's why I've looked like this in SL for basically 10 years.

190124_002s.thumb.png.858087ab210cf0de76da72aa91447aaf.png

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 3

I guess I do like Eva - I tend to go for things I would wear/like to wear or do wear in RL. Now and then I manage to let go a bit and do something a little bit more experimental - but mostly I keep close to RL...

As to where inspiration comes from, both in SL and RL I guess, my main source is lookbook.nu - where I follow a select few, and regularly browses styles like 'parisian', 'chic', 'street', 'casual' etc...

And this girl - I love her :D

• Like 4

I'm far more fashion forward in SL than in RL. I could care less about clothing in general for myself. I tend to ruin everything I wear quickly, I'm hard on what I wear so I don't spend much on anything because I know it's pointless to even try. I wear a LOT of black; jeans, tops, bags, shoes. Black is good. Except when I had a bi-color red and white cat. That was bad with black clothing. But, I digress. I do love fashion as an art form, however, and can critique an Oscar dress with the best of them lol. 

In SL, I'm a clothes horse. I have eclectic tastes although I tend to wear mostly classic separates that mix and match well. I wear all black a lot in world too. I like putting together pieces that don't look like they belong together, finding that middle ground where an outfit looks like I picked up the clothing from the bed and floor after being discarded from previous nights of partying that I was too lazy to hang up or clean. Lots of boots. I like leather/latex/odd textures but aren't excessively revealing or, revealing but you have to really work hard to realize it is - I like for the imagination to be at work. 

I'm not big on accessories at all. Hardly wear jewelry unless I'm doing a photo shoot and even then rarely. I don't wear much in RL either, just my wedding band/engagement ring, one other small ring, same earrings every day same necklace every day and same bracelet every day. 

I wouldn't say I'm specifically influenced by an particular designer but more a mishmash of everything I see, everywhere. I work in NYC - and for me, being streamlined, and non-fussy is essential to my life, which carries over for the most part to SL, just in a more intended way. 

• Like 3

For me, if I like something and it looks good on me then I'm going to buy and wear it. Fashion comes and goes but what feels right and looks right on me is what I go for. I might one day dress like a 60's hippies and the next day wear something that is from the 90's. I don't like to be a slave to fashion and so I guess this is my way of rebelling lol

• Like 4

Ponders, for me I guess what I like on myself comes into play a lot as well as being able to wear stuff I physically either don't have figure for or self confidence and being able to carry off in pixels more with pride as can be more daring or should say skimpy however currently seren not that skimpy in her current outfit.

4 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

I can log in a SL session for a few hours and go trough loads of completely different outfits. I do love to change for the occasion. When visiting a certain sim style, I love dressing up in a fitting style. When hanging on a tropical sim, I go summer/swim wear, and so on. It does not add any practical value, but its just for the visuals and it adds to the experience a lot to me. And its just plain fun.

This seems to me a really good way to approach fashion: using it sort of immersively to work with the sim your visiting. I don't do quite this, but I'm sure I've visited places that gave me ideas for new things I wanted to buy.

4 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Maybe a bit out of control sometimes, I am a tiny bit impulsive when shopping. Can spend to much money on cloths that I would like on a certain photo on a sim, and never wear it again. And I forget to demo, a lot... And I might have alts with inventories that could make main avies jelous. So yeah... Hi, I am Zeta, and i'm a shopoholic.

Shopping is something I never really got into in SL until reasonably recently. I guess used to take Laskya shopping more often than I had in my early years in SL, but it's really only in the last few months that I've started to enjoy it more. I don't enjoy it so much that I'm a shoppaholic, probably, but I've spent more than a few happy lunches browsing the MP entries of new stores I've heard of or discovered. And some stores I do enjoy visiting in-world -- but not the overwhelmingly big ones. I prefer a smaller, more intimate shopping experience than getting lost in a place with hundreds of different items.

I've discovered some things that surprised me that way, though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

The simple answer for me is that I tend to choose things that I would wear or do/did wear in real life.

That's pretty logical, surely! If you wear it in RL, it's because you are already attracted to that look?

The main difference from me, now anyway, is that I also buy things that I'd like to wear in RL, but can't or don't for various reasons.

4 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

I no longer follow fashion in rl like I did when I was in my 20's, so that does not really affect my purchases. In fact, I should probably pay attention to it more than I do!!

Yeah, maybe? I don't want to give the impression that I'm some sort of expert on fashion. I have, I think, maybe 3 books on designers, and maybe another half dozen altogether on fashion history and costume -- but mostly I get my "fashion news" from the same places everyone else does, esp. Google. And I really only pay attention to a few designers whose work catches my eye.

Still, it can be sort of fun to follow it. I've half considered creating a Pinterest account so that I can be a bit more systematic in keeping up with trends.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

When I first started SL, I wore a lot of very skimpy outfits, exploring that side of myself, since there is pretty much no way I'd ever wear anything skimpy in RL - even back when I had that super model body.  I've just always been way to self-conscious.

Well, somewhere there are pics of me wearing a Playboy bunny outfit. And a cheerleader's costume. I still don't much like wearing really revealing clothing in SL: I don't at all mind looking "sexy," but I don't want to communicate the idea that I'm trying to sexualize myself, if you get what I mean. Sexy when it's a means to an end, rather than an end in and of itself. And so I sometimes throw applier tees and bras under things that really shouldn't have them.

Since I've come back to SL and gotten a mesh body, I've been wearing more pant outfits.

Weirdly, I've gone in the other direction. 90% of what I used to wear was pant outfits. I've started to wear skirts, and a few dresses, a lot more recently. But yes, agreed about the often ridiculous length of skirts in SL. Actually, going along with what I said above too, I also get bored of necklines that plunge down to the navel. It's not even so much that they're risque: they often just don't look very good.

Back in the day, I also loved the flexi ballgowns.  Only recently have I started seeing some mesh gowns with flexi add-ons that don't send the CI spiking like crazy, so I've started picking up a few of those again.

I was never much into gowns, or even longer skirts, but I do wish mesh were better at managing longer things like the long cardigan I'm wearing in my most recent pic in the "what I'm wearing" thread. It should swish and swoosh when I move! I'm pleased to hear that maybe designers are finding ways of adding flexi again, so long as it's done well!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

There's a presumption in your question that I have a style or fashion

Yes, you do. It may not be very conscious, but I have a very clear mental picture or conception of the sorts of things you typically wear. I can look at something and say to myself, "Maddy might wear something like that."

I just wear what I like, and that seems fairly independent of current trends, which I do not follow.

Sounds eminently sensible. Why would you want to wear things you don't like????

If I have one weakness, it's for wearing one of the 24 pair of pumps I purchased when I got married, because they were simple, they were reasonably comfortable, and they elevated me enough to see over the piles of sale items at my local Ace Hardware. Half of the boxes are still unopened and the shoes seem to be shrinking with age. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to wear them.

You've told me about these before! They are now an indelible part of my mental picture of you!

These days, I spend most of my time wearing the li'l devil avatar given to me by Par, because he thought it suited me. It does. Ask Par what inspired him to create my style.

I think I can probably guess.

I should mention that, when the warm weather comes and I head outdoors, I swap the sweatshirts and jeans for sun dresses and wide brim hats.

I've added this to my mental database of "Maddy." I think you'd look glorious in SL in those things too.

4 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Many times a sim will inspire a particular look.

Yes! What I said above.

Really, SL provides so many different possible inspirations and contexts. It's kind of silly, probably, that I don't experiment more.

Again, somewhere there is a picture of me wearing an 18th century dress and looking over the cliffs at the sea: I bought it because the sim was based on Scotland in the 18th century, and I was tickled by the idea of myself as Flora MacDonald, awaiting the return of Bonnie Prince Charlie.

ETA: Ha! Found it!

Ayeshire.png

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Back in the day when I first moved to Manchester, I used to go to a well known rock club (which has since closed down) and I always wore the same outfit for it; a white "poet" style shirt with frills, a black leather vest over the top, and blue jeans. The club closed down long ago but when I started in SL, that was the look I aimed for right from the beginning. Later on, I bought a pair of red Converse high-tops in RL, and that got added to my SL outfit too.

This is a little like the way that I created my first looks in SL -- it was definitely a sort of grungy "clubbing" look, combined with the kinds of things I generally wore as an undergrad.

The long red hair and pointy ears, which I do not have in RL, are a tribute to my favourite fictional character; Maedhros from The Silmarillion (I got a little obsessed with him due to the fact that he shares the same disability that I do. Plus, he's like totally gay).

I'd wondered about the ears, because you didn't seem to be doing Elvish RP -- at least, not in your pics. That totally makes sense, even if it's probably a bit of an unusual approach to using elements like that. Yay for you for producing a look that has such important personal meaning, though!

And that's why I've looked like this in SL for basically 10 years.

Not unlike me, again, until maybe 6 months ago.

2 hours ago, Angelina String said:

As to where inspiration comes from, both in SL and RL I guess, my main source is lookbook.nu - where I follow a select few, and regularly browses styles like 'parisian', 'chic', 'street', 'casual' etc...

Oh! Clever you! I need to check this out!

As I think I told you in a post months ago, I like the way that your look seems to be really authentically "you" -- which I know is a problematic concept, but there is a kind of coherence to your style that really expresses you well, I think.

• Like 1

Death, decay, darkness and decadence.

I've always preferred a more formal, dark style, and generally been drawn to fashion of past eras rather than the modern style. In the pre-mesh days, my wardrobe was basically 'anything BlakOpal', Victorian Gothic Steampunk and all that entails; uniforms, punks & pirates (I had a Mohawk, regardless of what I wore), and of course long, dark coats with patterned waistcoats.

When I made the switch to mesh, it was toned down quite significantly simply because the range was severely inhibited by availability. For the first few months I just looked like a pillock, not knowing what direction I'd really go in. Few of the standard size mesh apparel I had still worked, and finding new stuff was a chore as I always was quite picky about quality. My wardrobe is still very limited as finding something that appeals both to my fashion sense and my expectations for being of good quality in both texture and mesh, and not being too offensive to one's complexity and general lag contribution (there's no reason a coat should be 70K complexity on its own, or for anything to have excessive scripts in it - a receiver script for texture application should really be the only script in most pieces of clothing). I also often don't purchase something, if it's no-mod simply because a vast amount of creators absolutely suck when it comes to materials. Black clothes where the specular map is a blank white texture? Come on.

For Neph, I suppose she's been quite liberating in many ways. She's able to explore niche fashions styles that appeals to me, that simply aren't available for men. It's much easier to make a themed outfit for her, whether I want to attend an event or do a photo-shoot of a certain style. And she's got a shorter contact list, so when I log on I tend to chose to do so on her simply because I get to be left alone. 95% of the time I'm online, I've got a browser, VLC, a game, Gimp, Quavimator, Blender or Discord on my screen with SL just in the background anyway. My partners knows it's me regardless of which avatar I'm on, so whilst we're all pretty much doing something else we can still be cuddled up on a sofa in peace and quiet.

Snapshot_013.thumb.png.aaa3f9a7ea4efd197e6852e4da286c8f.png

Besides, I'm more likely to spot something random on Seraphim or the MP that appeals to me, that I might want to get for Neph; so it's handy to have her online. On the rare occasion that something for Orwar pops up, it's easy enough to fire up a second client.

As for 'who' inspires me, it's kind of hard to tell at this point. There's the original icons like Siouxsie Sioux, Peter Murphy, Cassandra Peterson, and Bela Lugosi, and there's the ones who are important to my day-to-day music and entertainment, like Tim Burton, Noel Fielding, any band member of Deathstars, Gothminister, The 69 Eyes, Lordi, Samael, Rammstein, Dope Stars Inc, and so forth. 

Bildresultat för Richard kruspe

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

I'm far more fashion forward in SL than in RL. I could care less about clothing in general for myself. I tend to ruin everything I wear quickly, I'm hard on what I wear so I don't spend much on anything because I know it's pointless to even try. I wear a LOT of black; jeans, tops, bags, shoes. Black is good. Except when I had a bi-color red and white cat. That was bad with black clothing.

Yes, I have always worn black more than anything else. And cats (and now a dog) can be a misery!

A few years ago, starting a new job, I suddenly found myself in the situation where, for the first time really in my life, I had to start dressing "professionally," with the intent of projecting something about myself for my position. It was agonizing at first, trying to figure out what to wear that was "acceptable," but that I still liked wearing. Then, eventually, I realized that many of my much more senior colleagues dressed terribly. So, I eased up on myself, and, although I don't wear tees and jeans to work, I'm at least able to be a bit more "true" to my personal style, and dress more casually than I initially thought I'd have to.

In SL, I'm a clothes horse. I have eclectic tastes although I tend to wear mostly classic separates that mix and match well. I wear all black a lot in world too. I like putting together pieces that don't look like they belong together, finding that middle ground where an outfit looks like I picked up the clothing from the bed and floor after being discarded from previous nights of partying that I was too lazy to hang up or clean. Lots of boots. I like leather/latex/odd textures but aren't excessively revealing or, revealing but you have to really work hard to realize it is - I like for the imagination to be at work.

I've sort of known you, via the forums and the Cartel, for quite a while, but when I first started paying attention to the vanity threads and seeing your pictures here, I started categorizing you (along with a few others -- Chic was another one) as one of the more elegant "style leaders" here. In part, too, it was because your pics were of a superior quality.

So, whatever you're doing, keep doing it: I think it's working.

I'm not big on accessories at all. Hardly wear jewelry unless I'm doing a photo shoot and even then rarely. I don't wear much in RL either, just my wedding band/engagement ring, one other small ring, same earrings every day same necklace every day and same bracelet every day. 

I am in complete agreement. I own some jewelry (mostly clunky silver pieces) in RL, but very little in SL. Probably jewelry has improved since the old days, when it tended to look oversized and gaudy, but I'm still not big on it.

• Like 1

When I first started playing, I explored the more skimpier outfits. now I would like to hope that my style has evolved into something a bit classier. I like pastels and girly girl stuff, with lots of skirts and  sky high heels. I'm a huge Shopaholic, and like to keep an eye out for things that I know my friends would like. I like a mesh gown with the movement of a flexi skirt, but I also like unicorns and rainbows and bows and ribbons. I'm not exactly sure if I have a style other than eclectic.

Edited by Catrie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, anniepany said:

For me, if I like something and it looks good on me then I'm going to buy and wear it. Fashion comes and goes but what feels right and looks right on me is what I go for. I might one day dress like a 60's hippies and the next day wear something that is from the 90's. I don't like to be a slave to fashion and so I guess this is my way of rebelling lol

Well, yeah! How sensible is that?

I'm not nearly hip enough that fashion trends dictate what I wear: the designers I like are the ones who produce the look I like. The ones who don't, I mostly ignore. But I could probably branch out a bit more?

In the old days in SL, I used to have quite a few 60s-looking things. I should maybe look into that again . . .

30 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Death, decay, darkness and decadence.

You could knock me over with a feather. Really?

You do it well, though!

When I made the switch to mesh, it was toned down quite significantly simply because the range was severely inhibited by availability. For the first few months I just looked like a pillock, not knowing what direction I'd really go in. Few of the standard size mesh apparel I had still worked, and finding new stuff was a chore as I always was quite picky about quality.

I remember buying new mesh clothing for Laskya back in 2013. There were elements of the new clothing that seemed a definite improvement, but, really, early mesh stuff was not great, and about 90% of what I found was, frankly, pretty dowdy and suburban, with lousy texturing and a little stiff looking. Really, Laskya needs a new wardrobe: she's only got a few things I'd dress her in now.

For Neph, I suppose she's been quite liberating in many ways. She's able to explore niche fashions styles that appeals to me, that simply aren't available for men. It's much easier to make a themed outfit for her, whether I want to attend an event or do a photo-shoot of a certain style.

This is, I suppose, the classic reason a lot of men have female alts? Seeing the stuff that Skell, you, and a few of the other men who post here wear has generally raised my opinion of the style options for men, but really, your options still seem really limited compared to what's available for women.

Neph wears a lot of stuff that I just couldn't, but, for what it's worth, she's been something of an inspiration for me. At the very least, the things she wears have pushed me to be a bit more adventurous in terms of my own wardrobe. I get a lot of ideas from her look

As for 'who' inspires me, it's kind of hard to tell at this point. There's the original icons like Siouxsie Sioux, Peter Murphy, Cassandra Peterson, and Bela Lugosi

Ok, with you so far . . .

and there's the ones who are important to my day-to-day music and entertainment, like Tim Burton, Noel Fielding,

. . . sure, ok, I can see that . . .

any band member of Deathstars, Gothminister, The 69 Eyes, Lordi, Samael, Rammstein, Dope Stars Inc, and so forth. 

. . . and now you've completely lost me . . . 🤔

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Catrie said:

When I first started playing, I explored the more skimpier outfits. now I would like to hope that my style has evolved into something a bit classier.

Yes. My biggest objection to the "skimpy" clothing we see so much of in SL isn't moral, it's aesthetic. So much of it is just gawd-awful looking. Why cover your bits with something that looks like crap? It'd look much much better, and less tacky, to just go nude.

22 minutes ago, Catrie said:

I'm a huge Shopaholic, and like to keep an eye out four things that I know my friends would like.

We could all use more friends like you!

23 minutes ago, Catrie said:

I'm not exactly sure if I have a style other than eclectic.

Well, again, it works, whatever you're doing. Your pics here are always lovely. I particularly like your look in your forum avatar!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.