What Inspires Your Style and Fashion in SL?

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

And in the last few days I've fired up my second Alt, having been led astray by various people and I'm forcing myself to experiment further with style

Oh god. You've been influenced by Orwar, haven't you, and have produced a new alt who will look like a cross between a trollkoner and the 4th Horseman of Apocalypse! I'll never sleep peacefully again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh god. You've been influenced by Orwar, haven't you, and have produced a new alt who will look like a cross between a trollkoner and the 4th Horseman of Apocalypse! I'll never sleep peacefully again.

You just made me realize that with all the alts I have, I do not have one like that yet! yay, new mission! Thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, Laoise Rumsford said:

Before joining SL I was a strict tomboy. I hated dresses of all shapes and sizes. But after I joined I started to learn to appreciate them and gradually came to love them. My Tomboy nature is still deeply embedded, and you can see that from my inventory,  but what I wear for the day - or days - depends on my mood ... and those fluctuate a lot throughout the day.

Oh, cool! Do you find that eclecticism washing over at all into your RL style? I'm trying to think of where my own tastes have changed because of the influence of SL. Maybe I'm a bit more adventurous?

14 hours ago, Laoise Rumsford said:

But what I do know is that I am extremely picky about what I spend my money on. Details, Color availability, how it looks on my avatar...That sort of thing. I don't impulse buy unless I know for certain that I am getting a deal.

My mum was born in wartime London, and grew up for a good portion of her early life under rationing; her own shopping habits -- for everything -- sort of reflect the waste-not-want-not attitude that I guess that must have impressed upon most Brits under those circumstances. I've inherited that, I think, and as a result I'm a pretty careful shopper even in SL too. Looking for things that are versatile, and can be combined and recombined to make different looks, is important, as well as just not, as you say, impulse buying. Mostly it's worked: I haven't had many instances of buyer's remorse. And, in fact, for me anyway, part of the fun of clothes shopping is working within those goals. It can be a bit like a game.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

you would think that I'd have an alt like this already. However,  I discovered I'm not good at the "darker" looks. lol  I tend to just leave that to Neph. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Edohrou said:

My clothing choices are always youthful, pink and bubbly. Really into 80s fashions as well.

And why not!

I haven't really noticed a lot of 80s fashions around, but then I'm not really looking for them Given that there is a lot of nostalgia for that decade, there must be a fair amount available? Bright colours, square necklines, big hair? And, of course, shoulder pads!

17 hours ago, Edohrou said:

I don't get to dress up much.

None of us get to dress up enough in RL! Which is part of the glory of changing outfits 3 times in the course of a couple of hours in-world!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saravendi said:

Scylla, great topic and nice job involving yourself and moving the thread along! Anyway, for me I can relate to everyone’s comments in one way or another. As a little girl my biggest influence was always my mother. When she was 18 she work daily with and for, YSL himself, as his personal assistant.  As a result of that experience, my mother’s stlye was heavily influenced by all the master Italian and French designers like Gucci, YSL etc.. (Coco as well).... so growing up with that, definitely influenced my style decisions as an adult.

I was wondering when we'd see you post something here, Sara!

That's quite the fashion pedigree! I wish I were a more "educated" fashionista. My own upbringing was decidedly suburban, with all that that unfortunately entails. It wasn't until I started university and moved downtown in my late teens that I really started paying attention to what I was wearing (beyond wanting to look "pretty," I guess).

3 hours ago, Saravendi said:

most day to day Fashion trends in many US cities are decidedly casual and fashion backwards compared with cities like Milan, Paris etc... I fell into that super casual trap myself. My rl job as an interior designer requires me to dress the part “as a designer”  for clients and that usually means black everything... jeans, shoes, hats, sunglasses skirts, tops, jackets! Now leggings are the new official uniform in Southern California.

I have a good friend who is an actual fashion historian (nice work, if you can get it), and she continually makes the same lament, especially about her students. She argues, essentially, that "style" is dead in day-to-day life, and that comfort is everything. She's fighting hard against the trend though: her own preferred style is 50s and early 60s, and she definitely does not dress down, or for comfort. That much work at looking good every day would probably kill me.

4 hours ago, Saravendi said:

I have thousands of amazing items to mix and match, and that ability to creatively curate a wardrobe in SL is now influencing my style choices in rl today. (slowly migrating away from black) I discover design styling in-world that I now put together in rl! I’m now way better at pushing the fashion needle forward for my personal choices today as a direct result of my SL addiction! So I experiment a lot, and when you guys seem to like a look or outfit that I love 💕  too.... that affirmation has had a very positive effect on me spillingover into my rl fashion sensibility.

Yeah, I've been wondering about this: see my comment above. Maybe SL is the best thing that ever happened to the fashion industry?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I haven't really noticed a lot of 80s fashions around, but then I'm not really looking for them Given that there is a lot of nostalgia for that decade, there must be a fair amount available? Bright colours, square necklines, big hair? And, of course, shoulder pads!

There's a yearly fair called The Vintage Fair, that is usually pretty good. Wish there was more though, its such a lovely style. You can find quite a bit of the fair's fashion in this blog still.

You can find groups too on Flickr, a lot are not moderated though and filled with lazy peoples random pictures who do not look at group names before submitting them...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, cool! Do you find that eclecticism washing over at all into your RL style? I'm trying to think of where my own tastes have changed because of the influence of SL. Maybe I'm a bit more adventurous?

Very little translates from SL to RL, but ...... but I did buy a "fatpack" of turtleneck sweaters a few years ago when I couldn't make up my mind which color I would use the most. I've never regretted that purchase, so that's one thing I've taken from SL into RL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I do so prefer it when you're tossing and turning in your sleep ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My mum was born in wartime London, and grew up for a good portion of her early life under rationing; her own shopping habits -- for everything -- sort of reflect the waste-not-want-not attitude that I guess that must have impressed upon most Brits under those circumstances. I've inherited that, I think, and as a result I'm a pretty careful shopper even in SL too. Looking for things that are versatile, and can be combined and recombined to make different looks, is important, as well as just not, as you say, impulse buying. Mostly it's worked: I haven't had many instances of buyer's remorse. And, in fact, for me anyway, part of the fun of clothes shopping is working within those goals. It can be a bit like a game.

1) Yes/No. I'll catch myself standing like my AOs a lot. I would love to do the styles that I use in Second Life, but...I can't run to the grocery in panties that says "Satan's Girl|" and a tube top- I don't have the body for either (nor do I want to get a bath in holy water...lol) Leesha wears a lot of what I would if I could afford it and if I had the shape to pull it off. I guess you could say she is an outlet for what I wish I could wear/afford. ;)

2) I was raised that way too. But unlike my Mother, I enjoy spending money on things I want as long as I don't go nuts... Buying a 900$ flat screen if I only have 30$ in the bank. An ex-friend of mine often had to sit me down and discuss why it wasn't a good idea to buy a 2k kitchen from LAQ just because it was "pretty". You and I share the same- but there are times I'll buy an outfit just for the boots, or a top...I'll save the rest (unless it's a different mesh body) unless I don't wear it in 3 months or more. Keeping my inventory organized is a priority.

I did, however, purchase a pair of $12-13 socks in RL for my boots...That was a painful buy for socks. But my feet appreciate it.

:)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Although my SL self started out as my RL clone, I'm evolving constantly.

I kind of moved in the other direction.  I started out as a wild child and now I'm more of a RL clone.  I think about trying an alt a lot, but I shop so much that I'm not sure I could afford it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

I really wish I had some of the constraints of you guys when it comes to SL shopping...

Purses lips into a pout whilst struggling to constraint the urge to make a lewd comment about constraint ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Constraint doesn't work well either for me...….or my alt.  I did try for Salty, I really did! I tried and tried not to...….. but how can you look at someone you've made, and see them look terrible.

No, after a few days I cracked, and although, yeah it costs a few Lindens, the fun and pleasure from doing that is way beyond the cost. I did resolve to keep her outfits small in number and I'm doing OK with that. She only has 30.

My new Alt is in build and I just have to exercise constraint and restraint before jumping into a mesh head and shape and skins.....haha! She won't be dark and moody because I just can't do that and I can't out-Neph Neph!

:)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.