Just a question, "inappropriate" reaction to a post

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

I’m just saying we’re conditioned for that kind of thing, that’s why it’s so successful.

As a society, many have been brainwashed into needing it because of various social platforms or devices that do it. Like our phones and all the notifcations, we can get from the different apps on it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I read Siddhartha too

I have a vague recollection of reading it, but a pretty clear memory of Dad saying...

Siddhartha means "she who has attained her goals".
You can achieve that two ways Maddy:

1. Work hard.
  2. Set easy goals.

Of course he didn't give me any guidance on which path to choose, but I think I'm getting there.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

Decidedly off topic, so pardon me ....

Siddhartha is one of my few read-it-again books.  I feel myself finding new insights that compel me to go back and re-examine the book every few years. to see whether I missed something the last time or whether I have finally understood what Hesse was trying to say.  I am not overly impressed by moral themes, but the message that we can learn through failure and misguided decisions fits my optimistic view of the world. If Siddhartha can finally make sense of the world, maybe I can too.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

As a society, many have been brainwashed into needing it because of various social platforms or devices that do it. Like our phones and all the notifcations, we can get from the different apps on it.

That is a good explanation for what I see as more and more people wanting/needing these reaction-type validations.  

I barely use my FB account, did create a twitter account, but never used it, and don't have anything like instagram or snapchat, etc... . I mostly only use my smart phone for actual phone calls or texting a very small number of people.  If I travel, I use the mapping functions and airline apps. Otherwise, I tend to forget I even have the darn thing (showing my age now).  Anyway, that may all play in to why I pay so little attention to reactions to most of my own posts.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I barely use my FB account, did create a twitter account, but never used it, and don't have anything like instagram or snapchat, etc... . I mostly only use my smart phone for actual phone calls or texting a very small number of people.  If I travel, I use the mapping functions and airline apps. Otherwise, I tend to forget I even have the darn thing (showing my age now). 

Are you my phantom twin sister?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We've all reached points in an argument/discussion where there really doesn't seem much point in carrying on. In such cases, maybe ending on a derisive note is appropriate? Or maybe it just adds to the angst and dramaz.

I imagine a derisive note would possibly be f-sharp.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
10 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Are you my phantom twin sister?

There are a few of us here that seem to be from that mold.

Yes.  Maddy and I have each remarked that aside from a mysterious gap of about 15 years between us, we seem to have been separated at birth.  I have long suspected that we were part of a larger family.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

gives the hat octopus a polish and waits hopefully 🙏

If you're able to get one of my Daves to sit quietly on your head without eating you, you don't need lessons from me on how to set people on fire. I need lessons from you on how to handle my kids.

And, being from Wisconsin, I read "gives the hat octopus a polish" as you having whetted his appetite with a sausage from Usingers.

Happy New Year, Bitsy.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

You cant remove the emote yourself, but a forum mod could if they thought it was inappropriate or abusively used.

Well, you can report the post then add in a reason for the report or you could go as far as copy the url and then open up a support case about it and complain and then leave it up to LL to deal with.

though this might not directly change the person that did it, they could be punished by the mods for doing it, which does, in fact, change it since they might not be able to post anymore at that point. Unless they went as far as to create an alt account just to come back to continue. I have seen even this sort of behavior on forums before in many video game forums.

:P

I'm pretty sure the mods can't remove emotes. Not even the admin can. What they can do is remove the post. Should they delete legitimate posts just because someone MAY be being a jerk? I hope not. Because then the person being punished is the poster, not the emoter.

This isn't my first forum, game or otherwise. I've owned and admined a few over the past 20 years, too.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

6 hours ago, janetosilio said:

So how does an emoji effect your thoughts or feelings either way? The only thing they really do is make you feel validated, because they make you feel nice. That goes all the way back to primary school and getting a gold star. You get a gold star for writing neatly. Timmy, you don’t... it’s not that different.

Caring about being able to get rid of what someone thinks about your thoughts or opinions sounds to me like you only want to hear when someone agrees with you, which is why I said having positive ones can actually be a bad thing, because that’s often how they are used.

What the ever lovin?

Where the heck did you get all that mess from? That's a whole lot of... I don't know what, but it definitely wasn't in my post. Implied or otherwise.

6 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

During my professional career, I'd get an uneasy feeling when I'd propose something substantial and get absolutely no pushback. I ultimately retired because the risks I felt I was taking, usually with other people's money, were too large to be trusted to my judgment alone.

If it's good enough for Bill Gates and Elon Musk, it should be good enough for you!

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Other that the "look at me" threads, I never specifically go back to a post to see how anyone reacted.  I want people to like my pictures, but personally never cared much about misc reactions to posts.  If they want to specifically say something about it they'll quote it or tag me, and I may or may not respond.

I do react to other people's posts because I know that a lot of people do monitor their reactions and will thus usually get a little pat on the back / affirmation that someone agrees with them or every now and then a slight smack on the head that might or might not make them think.  If I give a reaction that is basically some sort of smack on the head, I will sometimes follow it up with an explanation of the smack, but sometimes I feel like the smack is enough in and of itself.

Here, use this instead.

865-1460868995.gif.261608e74eee4389e0431d0766f68a96.gif

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'm pretty sure the mods can't remove emotes. Not even the admin can. What they can do is remove the post. Should they delete legitimate posts just because someone MAY be being a jerk? I hope not. Because then the person being punished is the poster, not the emoter.

This isn't my first forum, game or otherwise. I've owned and admined a few over the past 20 years, too.

Not my first either, I had my own forum, wiki, blog site, photo sharing site before. And depending upon how the site is made an admin could go in and remove the emoji or adjust the reputation on a post. Just really depends upon how the site is set up what sort of database it uses. if its anything like MySQL or similar it can be done fairly easily by an admin or a mod that has database access.

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Not my first either, I had my own forum, wiki, blog site, photo sharing site before. And depending upon how the site is made an admin could go in and remove the emoji or adjust the reputation on a post. Just really depends upon how the site is set up what sort of database it uses. if its anything like MySQL or similar it can be done fairly easily by an admin or a mod that has database access.

Most forum admins/mods don't have access or the knowledge.

15 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

At issue is not whether we should call out bad behaviour, but rather, what is the most constructive and effective way to do so? I don't think that a derisive use of emoji does that, because they don't offer an explanation for how we've defined "bad behaviour."

You likely missed why the OP asks this. It was many months before your return. I can grok why the OP asks it, they are wondering if it will be a moderation safe way to answer a stupid post rather then words.

Speaking in general, there are rare cases when words are not going to be a valid path forward, when one is dealing with a willfully ignorant person, or when the differences in viewpoint are too diverged. When one knows one's words will be guaranteed to inflame the situation more isn't it better to place an emoji as one's "full stop" to the conversation?

For those unable to turn away from the train-wreck that is. Turning away completely is a better way, but not everyone can do this without some form of "full-stop".

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I think disdain has a place in these forums specially when some continues to berate and argue past reason just so they can be right. I wouldn't respond with an emoji as a first or even second response to someone's post. But should the person be a jackass about it then I would like to have a way to show disdain even here in these forums.

You could write what you think. E.g. that the other's argument is so wrong that it isn't worth any more of your time, so you won't be replying any more - and then ignore it. That's plenty of disdain if that's what you want. People often do that here, using different words. What, imo, is out of order, and shows the person's nature/character for what it really is, is laughing scornfully in someone's face. That's what the laugh does here when used in that way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If you're able to get one of my Daves to sit quietly on your head without eating you, you don't need lessons from me on how to set people on fire. I need lessons from you on how to handle my kids.

And, being from Wisconsin, I read "gives the hat octopus a polish" as you having whetted his appetite with a sausage from Usingers.

Happy New Year, Bitsy.

Well you see, Bitsy's mum is a time lord and her dad is an Ood who followed a different evolutionary path for the external brain. This is why wee Cerebellum, my hat octopus, treats me, the host body, with some care. The trick is all in how you imagine it 💜

Happy New Year Maddy :)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.