Just a question, "inappropriate" reaction to a post

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just realized both “manspreading” and “mansplaining” are portmanteaus. 

I agree about mansplaining yes, but manspreading?  man + spreading = manspreading 

Manspreading is not a blended word it is a compound word.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

No, that's a "grip".

*coughs*

Primary Meanings ofportmanteau

n
a large travelling bag made of stiff leather

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/portmanteau

Definition of portmanteau 

(Entry 1 of 2)

1: a large suitcase

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/portmanteau

portmanteau

[pawrt-man-toh, pohrt-; pawrt-man-toh, pohrt-]
ExamplesWord Origin

See more synonyms for portmanteau on Thesaurus.com

noun, plural port·man·teaus, port·man·teaux [pawrt-man-tohz, -toh, pohrt-; pawrt-man-tohz, -toh, pohrt-] /pɔrtˈmæn toʊz, -toʊ, poʊrt-; ˌpɔrt mænˈtoʊz, -ˈtoʊ, ˌpoʊrt-/. Chiefly British.
  1. a case or bag to carry clothing in while traveling, especially a leather trunk or suitcase that opens intotwo halves.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/portmanteau

718-1204571489.gif.277850acba8dff2ec656ca57820f130e.gif

11 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

Love's post accusing me of being a mansplainer being a prime example, he didn't tackle what I said and disagree or dispute it he went straight to playing the man not the ball

You mean like pouring scorn on someone by using the laugh emoji inappropriately, and saying nothing?

And so we come full circle :D

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

At the end of the day offence is not given it is taken, some choose to take offence easily, some hardly take offence at all. I don't see it as my job to moderate what I say because someone with a thin skin might take offence, that is totally their problem. The only one who can say I pushed it too far is a moderator. If you find this forum frequently offend you then maybe the old adage "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" applies because most here aren't going to play by lowest common denominator rules about what is offensive

Love's post accusing me of being a mansplainer being a prime example, he didn't tackle what I said and disagree or dispute it he went straight to playing the man not the ball

As I got the impression the post Luna made of the picture was a reply to my post I assumed yours naturally to be a follow up. Your caption mentions a he....of course I will assume its therefore aimed at me

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

You mean like pouring scorn on someone by using the laugh emoji inappropriately, and saying nothing?

And so we come full circle :D

I see a false equivalency. Kanry was interpreting my “words” reply; the topic is “emoji” reply. Thus my confused emoji in response to your post. Here’s your “words”.  

A laugh emoji, used as scorn, is very much like, "he didn't tackle what I said and disagree or dispute it he went straight to playing the man not the ball", which is what Kanry posted. Hence my reply to him. I.e. laughing AT a person scornfully is playing the person, not the ball.

Edited by Phil Deakins

2 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Did I claim I didn't ever take offence? claim I am a racist, sexist, paedo and yes like most people I will take offence at it . However my response was merely post something I have said that backs you up. My response was not to report the post 

56 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

A laugh emoji, used as scorn, is very much like, "he didn't tackle what I said and disagree or dispute it he went straight to playing the man not the ball", which is what Kanry posted. Hence my reply to him. I.e. laughing AT a person scornfully is playing the person, not the ball.

Laughing at someone for having a stupid idea is not playing the man. It is directly linked to the idea they had and a response to the idea they had.

1:I think we should give everyone free owls!!

2:mansplainer

Is playing the man not the ball

1: I think we should give everyone free owls!!

2: Laughs scornfully at you for having the idea to give everyone free owls

the laugh is directly related to the idea not the fact that it is you and therefore not playing the man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KanryDrago said:

Did I claim I didn't ever take offence? claim I am a racist, sexist, paedo and yes like most people I will take offence at it . However my response was merely post something I have said that backs you up. My response was not to report the post 

Only they didn't. After things were explained to you, you've acknowledged they didn't. So it was your mistaken interpretation of what they did that "triggered" your reaction.

How is this not the sort of behavior that you've said should cause people to avoid the forums?

8 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Only they didn't. After things were explained to you, you've acknowledged they didn't. So it was your mistaken interpretation of what they did that "triggered" your reaction.

How is this not the sort of behavior that you've said should cause people to avoid the forums?

Then you misinterpreted my words. I never said to use forums things shouldn't annoy you. What I said was if you are easily triggered and it makes you cry then keep away. I wasn't crying about it I merely said put up or shut up. Nor do I get very often annoyed by things people say. There is no one on earth that doesn't  get annoyed occasionally but that is a long long way from those claiming an emoji upsets them

For the record:

16 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

At the end of the day offence is not given it is taken, some choose to take offence easily, some hardly take offence at all. I don't see it as my job to moderate what I say because someone with a thin skin might take offence, that is totally their problem. The only one who can say I pushed it too far is a moderator. If you find this forum frequently offend you then maybe the old adage "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen" applies because most here aren't going to play by lowest common denominator rules about what is offensive

Edited by Theresa Tennyson

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What does this phrase mean? 

You gave me the impression that you'd followed the discussion. It's a phrase than Kanry used. To me it means kicking or tripping (fouling) the player instead of kicking the ball - in football (soccer).

Its useage here means ignoring what was said and, instead, focussing the response on the person who said it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KanryDrago said:

Its when you don't go after the argument you go after the person for example

me I believe the moon is made out of cheese

you: shut up you racist

Got it, like my quote (I got it from a Linden) “attack ideas not people”. Maybe I’m misquoting. But I say that when a certain someone starts using words like “stupid” and “pathetic”. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.