Just a question, "inappropriate" reaction to a post

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can you be reported for an "inappropriate" reaction to a post?

For example, someone makes a post crying their heart out about something "horrible" that happened to them inworld, and you make a laughing face reaction, is that reportable?

Mods, I'd love your input here.

Or Is hand wringing and commiseration the only  acceptable reactions?

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added quotation marks to reflect differing values
  • Haha 1

Take a look at the Community Guidelines.  In summary, here are the things that are not allowed and therefore reportable:

These Activities are Not Permitted on the Second Life Community Sites:

• Vulgarity, Profanity, and Sexually Explicit Content
  • Harassment
  • Personal Information
  • Nudity or Adult Content
  • Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising:
  • Interpersonal Disputes or Personal Negative Commentary
  • No Flaming
  • Off Topic Content
  • Abuse of Moderation or Moderators:

Notice that there is no mention among them about being an insensitive boor.  The closest that the guidelines come to telling you that you can't be a jerk is the bit about flaming (or maybe the one about interpersonal disputes).  Sadly, the world (SL and RL) will always have people who are intentionally or accidentally insensitive to other people's feelings.  You can report anything you like, of course, but I doubt that the moderators will act on one-time annoyances like the one you give as an example. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You can be reported for everything - like wearing red hair in a profile pic - the question is wether the Lindens take action. On the case of reactions it might need further evaluation of circumstances. It can borderline to harassment, and lead to actions as we have seen in a recent dispute ...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 2

Just now, Fionalein said:

You can be reported for everything - like wearing red hair in a profile pic - the question is wether the Lindens take action.

Very true, but my question really is would an inappropriate reaction be a violation of the forum rules?

There is no forum rule banning red hair in profile pictures so I'm safe, but could laughing at someone else's discomfort be considered harassment?

Seriously, this is a legitimate concern, and a legitimate question.

7 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Take a look at the Community Guidelines.  In summary, here are the things that are not allowed and therefore reportable:

These Activities are Not Permitted on the Second Life Community Sites:

• Vulgarity, Profanity, and Sexually Explicit Content
  • Harassment
  • Personal Information
  • Nudity or Adult Content
  • Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising:
  • Interpersonal Disputes or Personal Negative Commentary
  • No Flaming
  • Off Topic Content
  • Abuse of Moderation or Moderators:

Notice that there is no mention among them about being an insensitive boor.  The closest that the guidelines come to telling you that you can't be a jerk is the bit about flaming (or maybe the one about interpersonal disputes).  Sadly, the world (SL and RL) will always have people who are intentionally or accidentally insensitive to other people's feelings.  You can report anything you like, of course, but I doubt that the moderators will act on one-time annoyances like the one you give as an example. 

So you are suggesting a reaction is an annoyance? Maybe they should remove the reaction icons altogether.

I guess considering that LL put the reaction icons there, they really can't complain when they are used.

I supposed if instead of posting a laugh  reaction, I hit reply and said "omg really? can you send me a lm?" that MIGHT be reportable.

*shrugs*

Solar laughs a lot. :D

I'd hazard a guess that the line-in-the-sand for harassment would be stalking the person's entire posting history. But for the whole thread, or as a special reward to snowflake status ongoing; I can't see this crossing the line.

Some of the snowflakes do bite back tho BilliJo.

I had one IM me in world the other day to inform me "I am blocking you on the forums, Just so you know" 9_9

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So you are suggesting a reaction is an annoyance?

Yes, unless it blows up into a pattern or repeated taunts and personal attacks, in which case it is harrassment.  Harrassment is repeated and ongoing. You can get away with being a jerk until it becomes a pattern.  That's probably a good thing, considering that it would be hard to find anyone who has never said something that turned out to be insensitive.  I have certainly said things that I wish I could take back, sometimes totally by accident.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes, unless it blows up into a pattern or repeated taunts and personal attacks, in which case it is harrassment.  Harrassment is repeated and ongoing. You can get away with being a jerk until it becomes a pattern.  That's probably a good thing, considering that it would be hard to find anyone who has never said something that turned out to be insensitive.  I have certainly said things that I wish I could take back, sometimes totally by accident.

Yes but I'm not talking about replying with taunts or attacks. I'm talking about reacting with nothing but a laugh icon.  So, once again, could laughing at every single post a person makes be considered harassment and grounds for suspension?

Of course, only a mod could say for sure.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Yes but I'm not talking about replying with taunts or attacks. I'm talking about reacting with nothing but a laugh icon.  So, once again, could laughing at every single post a person makes be considered harassment and grounds for suspension?

Of course, only a mod could say for sure.

Yes, only a moderator could say. Up until now, though, you hadn't asked about using a laugh icon "every single time." If that happened, it might actually be harrassment.

• Like 1

LL have a very funny way with there rules, one can belittle anyone using the right words but if they choose the wrong words to reply back  and I am not talking about directly swearing one can get banned, how many times I seen a perfectly good question being  asked and before you know to the same old persons would belittle  that person and if dares answers back he can be banned,  

I had such an incident and was banned for a while

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes, only a moderator could say. Up until now, though, you hadn't asked about using a laugh icon "every single time." If that happened, it might actually be harrassment.

No one deserves to be laughed at every single time, and I certainly wouldn't do it, but sometimes a laugh is truly the only response the person deserves.

Besides, laughing at everything a person said would lose its effectiveness as a show of disdain.

So once again, back to my original post, could an inappropriate emoji be grounds for being reported?

Only a mod can answer for sure.

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Technically, one can only click "Report Post" on posts, as that link exits nowhere else. Reactions are not posts, so one would have to find a different mechanism to alert the moderators to reactions one feel are inappropriate. One could report the posts that garnered the offensive reactions and risk confusing the moderators, or report unrelated posts by the suspect(s), attaching links to posts showing their offensive reactions.. and risk confusing the moderators. The effort required to do that, along with the effort required for the moderators to understand and evaluate the complaint, makes me wonder if the effort isn't more likely to backfire than to succeed.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Yes, but, enough wrong guesses will get you perma banned, from here and inworld

52 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

... it might need further evaluation of circumstances

If you know you skirt the border to harrasment just stop it - there is no need to go all the way to the borderline of harassment and stop just short of it - unless of course you actually want to end up overstepping it a lot just like like your beloved president, duh!

He is no good role model for discussions between equals, you know?

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

If you know you skirt the border to harrasment just stop it - there is no need to go all the way to the borderline of harassment - unless you want to end up overstepping it a lot just like like your beloved president, duh!

He is no good role model for discussions between equals, you know?

I'm not even talking about harassment. I'm talking about making a post you think is acceptable, but someone else takes offence and reports it.

It's impossible to see the line you are not supposed to cross when its drawn in water.

I'm not sure why you are even bringing up President Trump, unless its to try and derail the thread with politics.

8 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'm not sure why you are even bringing up President Trump, unless its to try and derail the thread with politics.

It seems people who dislike him often feel entitled to comment unpleasantly about him anywhere, with the assumption that anyone who disagrees is morally corrupt and psychologically impaired.  That's a nasty social pressure and very annoying.  As an Englishwoman I have no stake in American politics, but I do notice this behaviour.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I do think the range of reactions ought to include one for being angry, as I suspect the laugh is used sometimes to convey anger.  I assume we are not meant to feel anything as 'negative' as anger.

I share your assumption. The provided reactions are designed to promote positivity because that increases engagement, which drives the business. People recognize this shepherding and some will naturally circumvent it.

10 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I share your assumption. The provided reactions are designed to promote positivity because that increases engagement, which drives the business. People recognize this shepherding and some will naturally circumvent it.

I like not having unambiguously negative reactions.  Laughing happens to have two different meanings,  since you can laugh with or at, cheerfully or scornfully. I would hate to see it go, tho. 

That said, I would not mind an eye roll reaction, just because it is so often the most accurate one.

• Like 3

Some people use the laugh as scorn. The main one has been mentioned in this thread, but other, usually nice, people sometimes use it that way. Imo, it's a despicable practise, but it isn't against the forum rules/guidelines. However, if a person 'stalked' another person, by using the laugh on every post the victim makes, or even an inordinately high number of the posts the victim makes, then, imo, it would be seen as harrassment and dealt with as such, even if the dealing with it only told the perpetrator to stop doing it.

Edited by Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.