What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

For the longest time, I was sure I knew what the last part meant and just could figure out why the I was there and what it meant.

I don't remember when I learned the truth, but every time I see it, I still mostly just see the last four letters and thus still do not automatically put that real meaning to it.

The one I alway have to stop and think about is IRT (In Regards To), which is a phrase that was used regularly in business communications. Considering I spent most of my life working in an office that used the phrase frequently, you would think I'd remember what IRT stands for but noooooooooooooooo. TBI... it's not all fun and games.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Ugh, you lost me on 'tla'

I'm with a few others in that the meaning of 'smh' does not always jump right into my mind.

I had to look that one up too, TLA = three letter acronym

go figure

energy cat.jpg

Seems like SMH was being used a lot at the club where I hang out and I didn't know what it meant for months, I would make stuff up in my head that I thought kinda went in context, but never really hit on anything that worked from context to context, and that was months ago so of course I can't remember now what I thought at the time.  But I remember fessing up when I finally learned what it did mean and we all had a great big laugh over it.  There was much shaking of heads.

Edited by kali Wylder
and another thing...
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I always thought "re." was "in regards to", or "regarding".  IRT refers to a public transit system.

Public Transit here is TriMet. That is both buses and trains. Where I live is end of the line.

Professionally, it's "re:" and is an abbreviation of "regarding". Of course I was taught "old school" business practices. Meaning it was "old school" when I was 20... 40 ¬¬ years ago. 

12 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

totally trashing and invalidating another via cutting them off completely because they express some thoughts we don't want to hear. As you say, it's making a judgement about the entirety of their character. 

I'm afraid this is the mindset of a toddler

Remember when I was brand new here and you told me twice to shut up because I expressed some thoughts that you didn’t want to hear?

Good times.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:
13 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

totally trashing and invalidating another via cutting them off completely because they express some thoughts we don't want to hear. As you say, it's making a judgement about the entirety of their character. 

I'm afraid this is the mindset of a toddler

Remember when I was brand new here and you told me twice to shut up because I expressed some thoughts that you didn’t want to hear?

Good times.

I told you to please shut up, yes, after which you threw a fit for weeks. Where's the outrage over GatCat telling someone to stfu recently btw?
But why did I tell you to please shut up (and I did say 'please'). Because I was depressed over fee increases, and so were some of my friends, and you told me we were being depressed and acting like we were helpless. Condemning us when we'd only heard the news of having to cope with decreased income that very day! And as if you knew EVERY freaking thing about being a merchant!
When YOU complain about depression though, oh we better just whine right along with you, you've told us umpteen times, and for sure we can't tell you to get over it.
My daughter has brain cancer, and less money means I can't visit and send money to her and my grandson who will be without a mother after she dies. YES BETH, I'M EFFING DEPRESSED ABOUT IT, and don't EVER EVER tell me again that I can't feel depressed over it.

Ditto for the diagnosing, @Beth Macbain.   You make fun and berate me for days about what you see as me diagnosing (heaven forbid, I see patterns in people, and rarely assign an actual label to it).   Yet you diagnose in spades with your Becky/Karen obsession of late.    You are like this all the time -- you make fun of others for doing things that you feel fine about doing yourself.

YEAH PET PEEVE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, that’s not actually what happened, though. Whatever. You can’t admit your own actions in regards to your words. Thanks for throwing in the bit about your daughter that I would have absolutely no way of knowing about to paint me as an even bigger monster, though.

How do you know I wasn’t going through some sort of personal tragedy myself at that time? Or today?

You’re a hypocrite, Luna. You’re fast to point out everyone else’s flaws but absolutely refuse to admit you are just the same. 

Bye.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

Yeah, that’s not actually what happened, though. Whatever. You can’t admit your own actions in regards to your words. Thanks for throwing in the bit about your daughter that I would have absolutely no way of knowing about to paint me as an even bigger monster, though.

How do you know I wasn’t going through some sort of personal tragedy myself at that time? Or today?

You’re a hypocrite, Luna. You’re fast to point out everyone else’s flaws but absolutely refuse to admit you are just the same. 

You're fond of handing that mirror out to people, but you never place it in front of yourself.

You busted into this forum acting like you owned the place, telling everybody how they should be. And how I described the increased fees and your criticism over others feeling depressed is EXACTLY how it happened.

Have a lovely rest of your evening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Where's the outrage over GatCat telling someone to stfu recently btw?

Stop it. STFU with throwing my name around like... I dunno, some kind of personal dispute that is against the community guidelines? Gosh, it is like you enjoy getting threads shut down, but no sane person would enjoy that, so that can't be it. Stressin' and obsessin' bout other people...it ain't right.

I really hate this glitchy software.

tenor.gif

Edited by Gatogateau
edited to just post the gist

2 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Dysphonia related pet peeve: opening a promising ASMR video only to immediately realize the author left "gum chewing" out of the title. 😬

ASMR stuff gives me the willies anyway. I haven't watched one that hasn't actually increased my anxiety, but that's me... but gum chewing? That sounds like actual torture to me... just. No. Not even. Nope nope nope.

56 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

ASMR = An acronym for “Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response.”
can that be right?

asmr yep that is right.

its basically just getting the 'chills' when someone says or does something that causes the back of your neck to tingle.

like how the hyena's in the lion king reacted when one of them said mufasa.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.