Jump to content

What are some of your pet peeves?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

@Madelaine McMasters

Keep looking at that night sky you described!   The ego you referenced doesn't come from thinking we are part of it, the ego comes from thinking we are separate from it    :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh I just have one pet peeve. I really can't stand people who are annoyed by either of the following: empty profiles, 'unreadable' fonts, unmatching body parts, flexi prims, AO-less avis, jazz hands,

DJs/hosts teleport inviting their "friends"

I'm not apportioning blame for what's been going on in this forum recently, because that's one thing that appears to start a thread on its downward spiral. Like many of us here - I am absolutely

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'll have to study all that more, thanks. But from a cursory glance it seems you're confusing the abilities of the human ear, yet vibration goes beyond that...the body vibrates, and it's not about what an ear can detect. I know, it sounds strange, but many believe that body 'hears' as well as the ear.

Nope, I'm not confusing anything. I simply possess knowledge of the science, backed by experimental evidence, that offers a compelling explanation for an effect that requires you to invoke something supernatural. I have designed EEG machines and I know what a crude measurement tool that is. FMRI is a much more powerful tool, and ASMR research using it supports the "grooming" theory...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6209833/

12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Keep looking at that night sky you described!   The ego you referenced doesn't come from thinking we are part of it, the ego comes from thinking we are separate from it    :)

Here's how I think we're different...

The more science gets at the way the world actually works, the more magical it seems to me.

The more science gets at the way the world actually works, the less magical it seems to you.

Here's how I think we're alike...

We both love magic.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Added "invoke" because it looks better than nothing.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

... the unintentional ASMR of a good knife sharpening video is way better.

Wow.  When you said that, I got a mental image of a knife scraping over a whetstone...and got tingles!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm jealous. I have no idea what this sensation is.

ETA: So apparently there is a crossover with auditory/tactile synaesthesia, which I do experience. I love my synaesthesia, but it doesn't cause tingles, and most of the sounds in the ASMR videos, while sometimes calming, have very boring colours for me. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Here's how I think we're different...

The more science gets at the way the world actually works, the more magical it seems to me.

The more science gets at the way the world actually works, the less magical it seems to you.

Here's how I think we're alike...

We both love magic.

That's so true, and I love how you put it...that we both love magic. But I have to explain just what is magical to me, as how you are imagining I am isn't quite true.

My awe or sense of magic is not taken away when certain aspects of reality are finally able to be explained through science. This actually excites me. Don't you see me dissecting away & explaining reality all the time, albeit in the social sciences vs the physical ones.
But what we now understand or what we will ever be able to understand via science in the future is so limited and always will be compared to the vastness of the Universe. So if my awe does indeed come through loving the mysterious, there's no danger in it being taken away!

But to imagine our little human minds are so great because we can dissect the Universe, along with the accompanying ego charge which comes from asserting our control through manipulation, is the biggest delusion there is. While we can learn some aspects of how the Universe operates, this does not mean we can ever know just WHAT the Universe is (via scientifically dissecting it).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I think I'll just stick with melatonin, a bowl and certain episodes of How the Universe Works, season 1.

*head-rubs against you hoping some melanin transfers to him*

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm jealous. I have no idea what this sensation is.

ETA: So apparently there is a crossover with auditory/tactile synaesthesia, which I do experience. I love my synaesthesia, but it doesn't cause tingles, and most of the sounds in the ASMR videos, while sometimes calming, have very boring colours for me. 

I've been watching these videos now. I feel vibrations, like a different kind of vibration with each type of stimuli. I wonder if that is the same as the tingle described by some.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of them set my teeth on edge, some bore me, some are creepy, some are quite relaxing, but I'm not experiencing any shivers or tingles or actual sensations from them. My favourite one so far is crackling fire, but fires (contained, controlled ones, you know what I mean) are one of the most evocative things for me anyway. The sight, sound, smell...I don't think it's ASMR. 

I'll keep trying. Jealous of you lot who get it. It isn't even doing much for my synaesthesia, they mostly sound grey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'll keep trying. Jealous of you lot who get it. It isn't even doing much for my synaesthesia, they mostly sound grey.

Which types of triggers have you tried so far? It took me forever to find my first one, and it was totally by accident when I stumbled upon a video of someone playing with slime. Also, are you using headphones? I find the sounds relaxing without them, but don't get any tingles without headphones.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

but I'm not experiencing any shivers or tingles or actual sensations from them

What about the singing bowls and the armonica?   I get such strong vibratory feelings that it's almost painful, and I have to stop listening. I have a very good sound system on my PC though.

 

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the glass harp, and these sounds are actually made from vibrating glass:

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I've been watching these videos now. I feel vibrations, like a different kind of vibration with each type of stimuli. I wonder if that is the same as the tingle described by some.

yes, it will not always cause tingles at the back of the neck. 

its similar to how brainwave entrainment works for some people. or using binaural audio or isochronic tones. some people believe there are certain brainwaves that react within the brain and can influence our thoughts and emotions if our own brainwaves are attuned to them through binaural beats.

asmr is sort of like a soft hypnotic relaxed state for some people. it wont always cause the goosebump chills for them.

brainwaves

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Luna Bliss, thanks for those. They were haunting, beautiful and a lovely synaesthetic experience. Dissolving circles and spirals of rainbow colours. I did get some shivers, but I experience that with various types of music or clear, sweet notes. Is that the same thing? I wouldn't describe it as tingles and none of the ASMR videos I tried provoked anything like it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

@Luna Bliss, thanks for those. They were haunting, beautiful and a lovely synaesthetic experience. Dissolving circles and spirals of rainbow colours. I did get some shivers, but I experience that with various types of music or clear, sweet notes. Is that the same thing? I wouldn't describe it as tingles and none of the ASMR videos I tried provoked anything like it.

yes, that was asmr. not all of the other asmr vidoes will trigger it for everyone. its hard to find the right video or sound that triggers it.

those shivers..goosebumps.. that raising the hair on the back of the neck is basically what asmr is.

your triggers might be more music based, then sounds like tapping or other similar things.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

@Luna Bliss, thanks for those. They were haunting, beautiful and a lovely synaesthetic experience. Dissolving circles and spirals of rainbow colours. I did get some shivers, but I experience that with various types of music or clear, sweet notes. Is that the same thing? I wouldn't describe it as tingles and none of the ASMR videos I tried provoked anything like it.

wow, you saw colors and patterns!?   :)

Tingles, shivers, vibrations...it's all a mystery.

I get vibrations from the ASMR videos too, but not as strong. I wonder if they are a lower frequency, those sounds. They are more relaxing for me than the singing bowls.  I wonder why the ASMR videos don't provoke anything for you at all, or did you say you feel relaxed from them?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I might shatter like the glass @ the high notes on this one:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

wow, you saw colors and patterns!?   :)

Tingles, shivers, vibrations...it's all a mystery.

I get vibrations from the ASMR videos too, but not as strong. I wonder if they are a lower frequency, those sounds. They are more relaxing for me than the singing bowls.  I wonder why the ASMR videos don't provoke anything for you at all, or did you say you feel relaxed from them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

it causes some people to see colors with certain sounds or emotions. sort of like the hypnogogic effect when entering hypnosis. can sometimes being experience by some people in deep relaxed or meditative states.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I thought I might shatter like the glass @ the high notes on this one:

 

certain high notes or tones or fast vibrations can actually cause anxiety and fear in some people. it over stimulates the brain and as the brainwaves attune to that higher sound it causes anxiety and stress reactions in the body. where as certain lower tones can have the opposite effect and calm a person. the lower tones have a slower vibration which is more relaxing to some people.

its why certain high pitched songs feel like scratching fingernails on chalkboards to some people.

which funny enough that cringe reaction is another form of asmr,  just not the pleasurable type.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

wow, you saw colors and patterns!?   :)

No, I heard them. I'm synaesthetic. I feel and hear colours/patterns and occasionally taste them. Some words and letters have colours for me as well. E is yellow. Synaesthesia exists in many forms; word-tasting is apparently quite common, although it's not something I experience. I do remember as a child asking my parents to put on the blue or red music. Occasionally in my teens I caused confusion by saying that a singer had a black voice; they thought I meant the singer sounded like a black person, but I didn't. (Black people usually have red, yellow or gold voices. Gold especially if they're singing.) When someone strokes my arm or neck it feels red or silver. Sexual sensations have colours too, but I'll stop there. 

 

23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

wonder why the ASMR videos don't provoke anything for you at all, or did you say you feel relaxed from them?


Tapping and scratching didn't do anything for me, just annoyed me. Some of the role play ones creeped me out a bit. Didn't like whispering. Wooden balls knocking together were boring. Fire crackling was kind of relaxing, but didn't bring on shivers or anything and anyway I suspect that might just be because I have so many strong and positive memories associated with fires. 

I've just been listening to some knife sharpening, which I didn't think I'd like (assumed it would sound threatening and dangerous). It was actually sort of mesmerising. I thought I felt a few shivers but I'm not sure if I was just imagining them because I want to understand this so badly!

I think Skell said it's harder to get the reaction if you're actively trying to do it? I don't know. I'll keep trying.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:


I think Skell said it's harder to get the reaction if you're actively trying to do it? I don't know. I'll keep trying.

this can be true for just about anything, if you over try your body and mind will fight you on it. your trying to force it so much that your body is basically saying f you. its not happening.

same thing like meditation or self hypnosis. the harder you try, the worse it goes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

@Madelaine McMasters

Keep looking at that night sky you described!   The ego you referenced doesn't come from thinking we are part of it, the ego comes from thinking we are separate from it    :)

I never stop looking at the night sky. I feel connected to it, not separate from it. That feeling comes from fond memories of sharing the night sky by my father. We spent hundreds of hours out under the stars together, mixing observation, deep discussion, and occasional photography...

1557268604_Hale-BoppFramed.thumb.jpg.fe1877b1b1d508e5d0da52baf6f9fa72.jpg

We wondered who else was out there, what they wondered about, and whether they, like the odd people who live beyond Lake Michigan's horizon, eat popcorn with forks.

 

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Don't you see me dissecting away & explaining reality all the time, albeit in the social sciences vs the physical ones.

I did see you dissect ASMR with a misunderstanding of theories that are likely nonsense. I hope you follow the links I provided and see the plausibility of entirely natural explanations.

I was first introduced the term "ASMR" some years ago, when I accidentally encountered a video on YouTube. I'd actually experienced the effect in engineering school in the late 80s, when I was recruited by a prof who was doing research on the intelligibility of speech in the presence of noise. I have particular difficulty there and was a valuable guinea pig. At various points in the experimentation, he'd play recordings of whispers or talking while simultaneously injecting forms of audio noise, like restaurant din or the sound of running water. The voice/water combination gave me a feeling like someone was nuzzling my ear. At the same time, I was recalling memories of Mom washing, drying, and brushing my hair when young. My own experience and the plethora of personal attention ASRM videos I've found, is why I find I the "grooming" theory interesting. I found the pseudoscientific vibration and resonance explanations by viewers in the YouTube comments to be as uncompelling as yours.

7 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

to imagine our little human minds are so great because we can dissect the Universe, along with the accompanying ego charge which comes from asserting our control through manipulation, is the biggest delusion there is. While we can learn some aspects of how the Universe operates, this does not mean we can ever know just WHAT the Universe is (via scientifically dissecting it).

How is it a delusion to limit your certainty to only those things that can be verified? I agree that it's likely we'll figure everything out. That doesn't compel me to invent explanations that can't be falsified and call it a day. I am content to say "I don't know" when I don't know.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

We wondered who else was out there, what they wondered about, and whether they, like the odd people who live beyond Lake Michigan's horizon, eat popcorn with forks.

When I was a child, and really probably far too young for this type of thing, my mother decided to teach me about infinity using the Universe. I want to say I was around 5-6 years old. My bed was right next to a window, and I slept with the shades open so I could see the stars. I spend hours, and hours, and hours, lying in bed, looking at the stars, and trying to wrap my head around thinking about how if the Universe is infinite, that has to mean there are an infinite number of stars, with an infinite number of planets and based on that, somewhere out there in the night sky there has to be another planet that is not only just like Earth, but also has a little girl, lying in bed, looking out her window at the stars, and thinking about me. 

That's probably why I have insomnia. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm synaesthetic. I feel and hear colours/patterns and occasionally taste them. Some words and letters have colours for me as well. E is yellow.

Interesting. I sometimes have a color associated with experiences, but I have to focus to bring it up usually, unlike yours that just flows easily.

What do you get from this?  I vibrate like crazy:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...