What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:
23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Luna Bliss is an alt, my 2nd account in SL. Do I need to log on with my original avatar to be acceptable?

Do you really want to start talking about how many accounts you post with? LOL

Nice way to deflect and not answer a question.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:
1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Nice way to deflect and not answer a question.

OK, here is your answer: None of your alts are acceptable to me. Happy? :)

Given what you frequently post, I am very happy.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fauve Aeon said:

No because I know stuff and things...and when I don’t, I do know how to research? https://www.walkamileinhershoes.org

Didn't you see my research that I posted?  Was it not quick enough for you? Was I not allowed an initial reaction?  I'm so sorry, I will try to prevent initial reactions in the future...

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Didn't you see my research that I posted?  Was it not quick enough for you? Was I not allowed an initial reaction?  I'm so sorry, I will try to prevent initial reactions in the future...

You can post as you like but when you post in public, do you not expect reactions? As in my ‘no, I don’t usually just post random RL stuff in the SL peeves thread wondering what it is, I just look it up” one for instance? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The threads need more yoga. Namaste.

Oh how quickly the various kerfuffles come and go. I recognize the reference but can't place the silliness from whence it came. (And that's ok, I really don't need the source.) It's like watching Trump and his daily wtf-ery, it all moves so fast you start forgetting the really horrendous things because of the endless drivel that keeps pouring forth.

And I still need coffee.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:
9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You can post as you like but when you post in public, do you not expect reactions? As in my ‘no, I don’t usually just post random RL stuff in the SL peeves thread wondering what it is, I just look it up” one for instance? 

My vision is bad and i have dark theme on as well as some darkness app. I could not see how to add more after I added the photo because all was blackness.  I may need to take off either the app or the darkness theme, which is apparently not working well with this particular browser.

1 hour ago, BelliBunBun said:

The issue was with calling a woman a girl.

It doesn’t matter if you wouldn’t recognize her face. Most of you seem to be aware of her enough to know she isn’t a child. I don’t know any of you and wouldn’t recognize your faces, but I know you aren’t children.

Calling her - or any woman - a girl is dismissive.

Kinda depends -- a lot, actually -- on who is using the word, whom it is referring to, and all the other contextual clues that are part of the utterance.

There are very few words -- and "girl" is not one of them -- that come bundled with only one denotative meaning, and one set of connotations. And language doesn't consist of a bunch of disconnected signs that are like "counters," always with the same meaning: they recombine endlessly in sentences, paragraphs, and other contexts in ways that produce an almost infinite variety of possible meanings.

So, a man walking into a room full of working women and calling them "girls" -- yeah, that's almost certainly infantilizing and sexist. A woman, particularly a peer, doing so? Not so much.

Critical reading, being thoughtful about all of the shades of meaning and implications of language, entails a great deal more than a knee-jerk response that implies that a word must always signify one thing, and not others. Lindal is speaking as a woman, mostly (here) to other women. There is nothing in her utterance to suggest that she is "infantilizing" Taylor Swift, blondes, or any women at all.

Use your critical capacity to make such judgments, not a handy pull-down list of "bad words and usages." You are, frankly, trivializing instances where the term is used as a put-down.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

One of my favorite movies, Miss Congeniality, where Sandra Bullock must go undercover as a Beauty Queen and attempt to represent the epitome of female beauty. She doesn't do too well, providing much laughter along the way:

sandra bullock falls.gif

And so my pet peeve, is that there are not enough humorous representations of our conflicts in society, like this movie expresses so well.

Edited by Luna Bliss

2 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

:::snakes between a few people's ankles, leaning in here and there and then suddenly, *seemingly* out of the blue:::

cat arching back.gif

That's what my flame point does. All he does is play. He'll be 6 years old on August 25th and he still plays Thundering Horsemen all by himself. He's happier than a pig in a poke with the stay at home orders. We are now his to command 24/7. 

80e2637dea22563021516a9c74c1d16c.jpg

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That's what my flame point does. All he does is play. He'll be 6 years old on August 25th and he still plays Thundering Horsemen all by himself. He's happier than a pig in a poke with the stay at home orders. We are now his to command 24/7. 

80e2637dea22563021516a9c74c1d16c.jpg

Awwwww, what a sweetie! I'm partial to flame points. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, in yet another one of my incarnations, I used to raise and show Persians and Himalayans, and we had a lot of what is called "red factor." My first CFA Grand Champion was a flame point boy, and he was not only gorgeous, but the sweetest, dumbest, sweetest, most wonderful fur baby. I so miss him. He purred at everything, and when really happy he'd purr so loudly in this really odd kind of fly-wheel-needing-oil way that if he was really happy he actually kind of passed out a few times. (Disconcerting, but ultimately endearing.)

• Like 2

I have to agree with the cat. Ending the day feeling peeved at, you guessed it: people.

Join me in the annual gathering of Misanthropes R Us, to be held at ... wait. No one's coming? Yay! We really weren't going to let you in if you showed up anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.